Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 197 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1057Likes

post #5881 of 5989 Old 10-16-2018, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post
B&H lamp: the carrier HAVE the part numbers and on the end of the bulb there is JUST the positive "pin" This is a legit Panasonic lamp.
That's what I thought, I had just bought and returned a bulb claiming to be authentic. It was missing the part numbers on the carrier, and you could just tell by the way it fit in the slot. The real one glides right in, the cheap fakes are a tight squeeze.

Thanks again for replying and taking the pics.
ferbal and HT Geek like this.

AVR-S940H | AVR-S920W | B&W Matrix 803 L/R | B&W Matrix HTM center | Fluance Signature Series surrounds | LG 65" OLED65B6P | Samsung 82" Q6FN QLED | 2x Nvidia Shield | HDHomeRun Prime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5882 of 5989 Old 11-10-2018, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I'm baffled. It's been a couple weeks since I've last used the PJ to watch a movie and now it won't turn on. I was away on business for a week and my daughter said that she "accidentally" turned it on when her friend came over. She said she just turned it off - no big deal. I thought it might be a power issue, but I plugged it into another outlet and nothing. Not even a flashing light or anything. My bulb only has about 500 hours on it so I don't think that's the problem. Anyone have a problem with the projector not turning on? Hoping it's just a minor issue as it's only 3 years old (only used for 2) and has worked without issue so far.

Last edited by Fazzz; 11-10-2018 at 08:21 PM.
post #5883 of 5989 Old 11-10-2018, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 165
But, are there no lights at all? No sound coming from the projector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5884 of 5989 Old 11-10-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
But, are there no lights at all? No sound coming from the projector?

No lights, no sound, nothing. It's as if it's completely unplugged. I've checked the power source and done all the basic stuff like that and that's not the problem.

Last edited by Fazzz; 11-10-2018 at 11:23 PM.
post #5885 of 5989 Old 11-10-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazzz View Post
No lights, no sound, nothing. It's as if it's completely unplugged. I've checked the power source and done all the basic stuff like that and that's not the problem.
Crisis avoided. I figured it out. So stupid. My daughter turned off the switch on the back of the projector - the one thing I didn't check. Not sure why she would even touch that button. Very relieved.
m. zillch and HT Geek like this.
post #5886 of 5989 Old 11-11-2018, 01:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I while ago I was going to ask about that switch, but then I had something to do, and I thought that it that was the issue, you would figure it out. I always switch mine off if I don’t use the projector for a few days, or if I need to unplug my extension wire from the wall. This means your daughter turned it off the hard way. Hehe. Glad all is fine.

post #5887 of 5989 Old 01-09-2019, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
AE8000U Green Tint Diagnosis Help

Panasonic AE8000U - New to me.
Removed and cleaned the filter.
I used compressed air to blow out the main cooling air passage in both directions - This was probably a bad idea.
When I run the projector it looks great except the black areas.
A full black screen shows significant green hue across the whole screen(still not bright, but very green). Not perfectly uniform, but certainly not splotchy.

Work so far:
-disassembled down to removing the optics(lcd panels/lens) and blowing out everything to remove dust.
-I did not open or remove the Analysis block(all the prefilters, mirrors, and general light path).
-LCD panels look perfect and identical.
-Blue polarizer has faint 16x9 shadow. Green/Red look perfect.
-Tried with blue polarizer removed - black screen is bright blue
-Tried with green polarizer removed - black screen is bright green
-Tried with foil blocking the Green light path before the green LCD panel - blacks look great
-Tried with the blue and green filters swapped - blacks have identical pale green hue to original issue.

My Conclusions(could be wrong?):
-blue and green polarizers function correctly. Maybe the blue is degraded some, but with it installed, no blue is noticeable in the blacks.
-the green hue is coming directly from the green light path only

Options?:
-LCD panel in green path is not functioning properly and allows light to leak
-Dust or misalignment in the dichromatic green mirror causes the green light polarization angle to be off
-main polarizing filter or "cinema" filter somehow out of alignment -- but it only effects green path?
-some kind of "divider" is missing between the green light path and the other two which lets green light filter through one of those panels off angle?

I have run the unit without the lid and the 3 light paths look clean and properly colored.

Anyone have any idea how I should proceed?
post #5888 of 5989 Old 01-09-2019, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanacura View Post
Panasonic AE8000U - New to me.
Removed and cleaned the filter.
I used compressed air to blow out the main cooling air passage in both directions - This was probably a bad idea.
When I run the projector it looks great except the black areas.
A full black screen shows significant green hue across the whole screen(still not bright, but very green). Not perfectly uniform, but certainly not splotchy.

Work so far:
-disassembled down to removing the optics(lcd panels/lens) and blowing out everything to remove dust.
-I did not open or remove the Analysis block(all the prefilters, mirrors, and general light path).
-LCD panels look perfect and identical.
-Blue polarizer has faint 16x9 shadow. Green/Red look perfect.
-Tried with blue polarizer removed - black screen is bright blue
-Tried with green polarizer removed - black screen is bright green
-Tried with foil blocking the Green light path before the green LCD panel - blacks look great
-Tried with the blue and green filters swapped - blacks have identical pale green hue to original issue.

My Conclusions(could be wrong?):
-blue and green polarizers function correctly. Maybe the blue is degraded some, but with it installed, no blue is noticeable in the blacks.
-the green hue is coming directly from the green light path only

Options?:
-LCD panel in green path is not functioning properly and allows light to leak
-Dust or misalignment in the dichromatic green mirror causes the green light polarization angle to be off
-main polarizing filter or "cinema" filter somehow out of alignment -- but it only effects green path?
-some kind of "divider" is missing between the green light path and the other two which lets green light filter through one of those panels off angle?

I have run the unit without the lid and the 3 light paths look clean and properly colored.

Anyone have any idea how I should proceed?

A possible thing could actually be that the green LCD panel got misaligned somehow (although with a full black picture it shouldn't show). Not sure if it's possible to align them manually, usually they are glued together, sometimes not. Some projectors also have a panel alignment feature built in, but I don't think the Panasonic has. You should run some convergence test patterns on your projector to check if panel alignment is the issue, something like:
https://www.aaarpinball.com/Miscellaneous/p1080.htm
http://www.walvisions.com/FullFields.htm

Last edited by LeQuack; 01-09-2019 at 08:00 AM.
post #5889 of 5989 Old 01-09-2019, 08:00 AM

Also have a look at a similar topic here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...-xbox-one.html
post #5890 of 5989 Old 01-09-2019, 08:05 AM

Well when I pull up a menu the pixel alignment looks fine from a distance. Red is off one pixel from the other 2 if you go to the screen to check.
All LCDs are the same(monochrome) the difference just being that they are each exposed to a different color light.

Thanks for the link, I have read that. That is related to selecting the wrong color type for a certain input. This issue is on any input or with no inputs attached. I will try to get a picture today.
post #5891 of 5989 Old 01-09-2019, 08:37 AM

Daytime and just slung up on a wall but the green tint is still obvious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190109_113140_1547051799952.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	2508210  
post #5892 of 5989 Old 01-09-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Daytime and just slung up on a wall but the green tint is still obvious.

Yeah that's strange, since it's a black screen it could be a panel issue, since you've already tested the polarizer. Not much you can do if it's the panel other then replacing it.
post #5893 of 5989 Old 01-09-2019, 09:39 AM

Is there a way to test it other than to swap that LCD with one of the other 2? I imagine trying align those panels is nigh impossible with 1.3M pixels in such a small area.
To further confirm, I ran it again, polarizers in place, with foil blocking blue and red LCDs and the image is basically identical as expected.
I also opened the light path and made sure all that was clean and it was.
SO, it is for SURE in the green light path only. swapping polarizers with no change tells me for sure they are fine.
Still means either LCD(no easy way to test that I know of, no way to power them with the projector off and look down the lens or whatever) ... or some polarization alignment problem between the polarizer plate and the polarized feature on the other side of the LCD(presumably built into the prism or something?).
I don't know anyway to test either possible issue. UGH.

Can an LCD panel get "tired" so it doesn't FULLY twist the light as it should and allow leakage?
I am rapidly getting annoyed with this purchase.
Previous owner had pictures from just before de-install and swears he never saw this issue. I didn't notice(default blue background) until I played a movie with dark scenes but noticed IMMEDIATELY then. Could be he didn't know any better ... seems unlikely.
I'm still grasping for ways I caused this to start with the high pressure air blowing tons of dirt around or moving the unit or something.
post #5894 of 5989 Old 01-09-2019, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 547
I don't know what the AE8000 has for color management but it could be the green bias is cranked up. I would first do a factory reset so it's back to defaults. Firmware issues can screw things up so a reset might fix odd issues. Or the main board is just defective.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #5895 of 5989 Old 01-10-2019, 04:55 AM

The green tint isn't even like a color management issue and I have done a reset. I don't know if an LCD panel can actually get "tired" so that some of the pixels no longer fully twist to shut off light maybe? Or if that can happen due to "worn out" lcd drivers on the main board or a voltage issue on the board?
Anyone have a clue how I could check that with a multimeter or something?

I pulled the optics and cleaned and inspected the lcd panels with nothing obvious found. Based on previous testing it seems a must that this issue is somehow in the panel or related to the panel/polarizer interaction in the green path. Unless I missed something ...
post #5896 of 5989 Old 01-10-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
The green tint isn't even like a color management issue and I have done a reset. I don't know if an LCD panel can actually get "tired" so that some of the pixels no longer fully twist to shut off light maybe? Or if that can happen due to "worn out" lcd drivers on the main board or a voltage issue on the board?
Anyone have a clue how I could check that with a multimeter or something?

I pulled the optics and cleaned and inspected the lcd panels with nothing obvious found. Based on previous testing it seems a must that this issue is somehow in the panel or related to the panel/polarizer interaction in the green path. Unless I missed something ...
The green tint displayed on a black background is a known issue with the 8000s...in varying degrees... I am curious what picture mode you are using? Is it improved by using one of the more color accurate modes?... such as REC709 or D-Cinema, which inserts the Cinema filter into the light path? I would assume it would be improved but probably not totally gone...

My 8000 actually has a very slight green haze that can be seen on an all black background, but it is slight enough that I have never really noticed it being an issue on normal display material. There was a member that posted on this thread a few years ago(stitch1) that also had a pretty heavy green tint on black backgrounds... He actually posted some comparison photos of his black display along with another forum member in which they setup up both of their 8000s and did a direct comparison...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post35812970

He ended up getting it repaired at a Panasonic service center, but they only listed "replaced optics" as their fix. But indeed he was able to then display a nice all black background after the service work.

I would be very surprised that the former owner of your 8000 did not have this green haze also... unless of course something got knocked out of whack during transport?
post #5897 of 5989 Old 01-10-2019, 10:02 AM

Well I think he was on his 3rd bulb ... so likely whatever the cause was a gradual degradation over time. He also said his wife did almost all the watching as she's home all day. Its not noticeable on bright scenes or even mixed ones, but I was put off immediately by it in dark scenes from star wars for instance. Very noticeable. you can see how bright that green is in my pictures and those are in a pretty bright room, mid day with just slatted blinds closed.

Black screen the effect is similar in all modes. Obviously it's more noticeable on the brighter modes. The cinema filter helps a bit, but I'd bet in a dark room it is about the same as the bright modes in a bright room. I was on REC709 when I noticed it originally at night.

So final thought on the cause though, since I really don't see this being LCD - they can burn and cause blur and spots, but on all images generally.
I ruled out causes being PRE-LCD path(I think).
So I think it is likely the polarizer AFTER the LCD - Does anyone know if that is a separate piece like the pre-polarizer is or maybe it is integrated onto the surface of the prism itself? I believe the issue must lie there somewhere. Maybe I will see if the LCD panel is easily removable so I can look behind it. Realigning will be PAINFUL!
I have heard that prisms can burn too, but again i would expect that to be noticeable in brighter scenes, though I guess this level of increased green would quickly become an unrecognizable color imbalance as brightness increases.
post #5898 of 5989 Old 01-10-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well I think he was on his 3rd bulb ... so likely whatever the cause was a gradual degradation over time. He also said his wife did almost all the watching as she's home all day. Its not noticeable on bright scenes or even mixed ones, but I was put off immediately by it in dark scenes from star wars for instance. Very noticeable. you can see how bright that green is in my pictures and those are in a pretty bright room, mid day with just slatted blinds closed.

Black screen the effect is similar in all modes. Obviously it's more noticeable on the brighter modes. The cinema filter helps a bit, but I'd bet in a dark room it is about the same as the bright modes in a bright room. I was on REC709 when I noticed it originally at night.

So final thought on the cause though, since I really don't see this being LCD - they can burn and cause blur and spots, but on all images generally.
I ruled out causes being PRE-LCD path(I think).
So I think it is likely the polarizer AFTER the LCD - Does anyone know if that is a separate piece like the pre-polarizer is or maybe it is integrated onto the surface of the prism itself? I believe the issue must lie there somewhere. Maybe I will see if the LCD panel is easily removable so I can look behind it. Realigning will be PAINFUL!
I have heard that prisms can burn too, but again i would expect that to be noticeable in brighter scenes, though I guess this level of increased green would quickly become an unrecognizable color imbalance as brightness increases.
OK, wow 3rd bulb! .... and if by chance they had it installed in a non light controlled area, and used it in Normal mode all of the time, I could totally see that some sort of degradation has occured. Have you checked the actual cumulative running hours and number of lamp resets in the Service manual Extend Menu mode? Not to mention, if they made the mistake of using aftermarket non-Panasonic bulbs.. I hope you can work something out with the seller... Have you contacted Panasonic support? On the off chance you get to talk to someone knowledgeable that is....just to get some idea from them of what could be wrong... although I doubt you would get that lucky to talk to someone good. The other guy I referenced in the forum was able to send in his photos to Panasonic for them to examine.
post #5899 of 5989 Old 01-10-2019, 11:55 AM

I wasn't even able to find a good panasonic projector support page to contact them from when I looked.
Total hours ... a ton clearly so no surprise at all if something is worn.
He only used the official red rich bulb from projectorpeople.com and replaced the filter each time as well.
I didn't pay a ton for it so from what I saw on ebay I could get out of this thing if I needed to. I am just madly curious to see what's going on. Before I take anything apart, I have some polarizing film coming which I will just use to play with orientation after the lcd to see if that is somehow the issue. If it's not that I'm lost.
post #5900 of 5989 Old 01-10-2019, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I wasn't even able to find a good panasonic projector support page to contact them from when I looked.
Total hours ... a ton clearly so no surprise at all if something is worn.
He only used the official red rich bulb from projectorpeople.com and replaced the filter each time as well.
I didn't pay a ton for it so from what I saw on ebay I could get out of this thing if I needed to. I am just madly curious to see what's going on. Before I take anything apart, I have some polarizing film coming which I will just use to play with orientation after the lcd to see if that is somehow the issue. If it's not that I'm lost.
Just one thought. It seems that the green LCD cannot go to a complete black (blocking the light). Did you ever disconnect the ribbons that connect the LCDs? They are delicate. Maybe there is a faulty connection there (the green LCD).
post #5901 of 5989 Old 01-10-2019, 01:34 PM

Oh I've had it disconnected about 15 times now. Last time I was hoping for a weak cable connection so i cleaned it all off and blew out the connector ... no difference.
That's why I was asking about maybe having something on the board I could check to verify that the LSD drivers were working properly? I have no idea how that stuff functions at that level though to just wing it.
post #5902 of 5989 Old 01-10-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5331 Post(s)
Liked: 3843
LCD panels have a finite life. I strongly suspect what we are seeing here is a manifestation of it and the replacement/repair cost is usually cost prohibitive. Sorry.
post #5903 of 5989 Old 01-10-2019, 04:07 PM

Yes that may be true. Here's my theory which is probably meaningless in actual practice. If that is the case, LCD panels shut off light by twisting the light 90° so it's blocked by the polarizing filter that follows it. So if this LCD panel now has tired pixels which only turn 87 degrees or 84 degrees or whatever ... if I could adjust the downstream polarizer to match that angle ... it should still function fine right?
Not easily done since, small, high heat polarizes are not common, but in theory.
post #5904 of 5989 Old 01-10-2019, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I can't believe this thread is still going... had an 8000 over six years ago... been through two other projectors since. I can't believe people are still running this offset lense artifact in 2019.
post #5905 of 5989 Old 01-10-2019, 04:50 PM

I had meant this to post as a new thread but it didnt workthat way I guess. Still it doesnt look bad for sure ... bigger screen would lessen the effect of the green bleed too. Maybe projecting on a screen and not a sheet even ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190110_193428_1547167764385.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	2509006   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190110_193726_1547167776738.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	2509008   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190110_193617_1547167786174.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	2509010   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190110_193759_1547167797759.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	2509012   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190110_193522_1547167816648.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	2509014  

post #5906 of 5989 Old 01-11-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaterofpain View Post
I can't believe this thread is still going... had an 8000 over six years ago... been through two other projectors since. I can't believe people are still running this offset lense artifact in 2019.
Wow... thanks for your pointless and disparaging post....
HT Geek likes this.
post #5907 of 5989 Old 01-11-2019, 06:50 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Wow... thanks for your pointless and disparaging post....
Agreed. I just ignored him. Not all enthusiasts have equal budgets or need to keep up.
These projectors look great. Are there better ones? Absolutely. Is their increased quality worth it for 10-30 times what I paid for this projector? Not to me.

Beyond that, this was a pretty fun experiment that generated some interesting technical discussions.
deano86 and HT Geek like this.
post #5908 of 5989 Old 01-11-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agreed. I just ignored him. Not all enthusiasts have equal budgets or need to keep up.
These projectors look great. Are there better ones? Absolutely. Is their increased quality worth it for 10-30 times what I paid for this projector? Not to me.

Beyond that, this was a pretty fun experiment that generated some interesting technical discussions.
Ya, I am impressed with how willing you are to dive into the the "guts" of this projector in the quest to find a possible solution... a lot of good knowledge can come out such work. I really hope some sort of solution can be found for you. Until prices for "true native " 4k projectors come down to my level, my 8000 will continue in my mancave and perform well. I upgraded from the 7000 several years ago now and love the automatic 2.35 detection and lens/focus switching for my 142 inch scope screen and rock solid 2d and 3d performance thus far.
ferbal likes this.
post #5909 of 5989 Old 01-11-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Ya, I am impressed with how willing you are to dive into the the "guts" of this projector in the quest to find a possible solution... a lot of good knowledge can come out such work.
I'm a mechanical engineer, so I have enjoyed Geeking out on it a bit. It is REALLY easy to work on, only fear is getting it dirty - HOWEVER, main lenses are all pretty sealed as is the main light path and mirrors. and it can all be blown out. Hard to do much damage in there as long as you keep your greasy fingers off of things! Plus mine was dirty anyway ...
I get my polarizing film today. Will determine it's alignment and try sticking a piece after the lcd for giggles. If that doesn't change, I will try twisting it a bit to either side. Other than that it's live with it. China suppliers have the oem LCD panes for $120 ... but I'm not THAT interested!
ferbal and HT Geek like this.
post #5910 of 5989 Old 03-29-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 711
It is Friday! So, here is your crazy question of the day:

Are you using a 2.35:1 aspect ratio fixed screen? If yes, after you setup lens memory for 2.35:1 and 16:1 aspect ratios, are you experiencing over-spill at the top and bottom of the screen for 2.35:1? So, what are you doing to eliminate that over-spill when the projector is zooming out to fill the 2.35:1 screen? See picture attached to illustrate the over-spill I’m referring to. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
contrast , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , green , green blob , issue , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , lcd , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , polarizer , PT-AE8000 , PT-AT6000 , PT-AT6000E , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page