Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 199 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1039Likes

post #5941 of 5951 Old 04-03-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4637 Post(s)
Liked: 3454
By my recollection the owner's manual was rather vague and failed to mention that their detailed specs for screen drop, projector height, etc were based on not using both 1.78 and 2.35 AR, and provided only minimal information for dual size users.
texpilot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 5951 Old 05-30-2019, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Warmer/redder at top during credits and "Color temp flash" issue

Hi. I recently bought a lightly used 8000u, and it seemed to be in great shape externally, good image, no convergence issue when looking at a pattern, great picture, no blobs, clean, etc. However, I have noticed something with the color that is kind of bizarre. There are two issues, that I think are related:

1) There is a red shift of color either at the top or the bottom (it just depends what is on screen). It is particularly noticeable when there are white end credits rolling up the screen. The top will often be a red-tinged white (warm) and the bottom more of a white-blue (cool). Sometimes it is reversed oddly enough.

2) Also, every so often, the color on most of the screen will sort-of do a quick switch from warm to cold (or vice-versa) ... like a brief flash of green-tone in faces, etc. It doesn't last long and doesn't happen often, but often enough to become really annoying, because then it seems like that's all you can think about. It does seem to happen less when I turn off the auto-iris, but it still happens.

I used to have the flicker/flash issue with me AE900u, and while this is not exactly the same, it is very reminiscent of that issue, which I had hoped I would finally be free of at this point.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by timoteo; 05-30-2019 at 04:03 PM. Reason: adding title
post #5943 of 5951 Old 05-30-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by timoteo View Post
Hi. I recently bought a lightly used 8000u, and it seemed to be in great shape externally, good image, no convergence issue when looking at a pattern, great picture, no blobs, clean, etc. However, I have noticed something with the color that is kind of bizarre. There are two issues, that I think are related:

1) There is a red shift of color either at the top or the bottom (it just depends what is on screen). It is particularly noticeable when there are white end credits rolling up the screen. The top will often be a red-tinged white (warm) and the bottom more of a white-blue (cool). Sometimes it is reversed oddly enough.

2) Also, every so often, the color on most of the screen will sort-of do a quick switch from warm to cold (or vice-versa) ... like a brief flash of green-tone in faces, etc. It doesn't last long and doesn't happen often, but often enough to become really annoying, because then it seems like that's all you can think about. It does seem to happen less when I turn off the auto-iris, but it still happens.

I used to have the flicker/flash issue with me AE900u, and while this is not exactly the same, it is very reminiscent of that issue, which I had hoped I would finally be free of at this point.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Have you done a video convergence?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My HT build: The Final Frontier

Quiet Glue: Why Not to Use It
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5944 of 5951 Old 05-30-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT Geek View Post
Have you done a video convergence?
I have looked at white text and pulled up a pattern(s) too look for convergence issues, but I see zero halo-ing, etc. I also don't think a convergence issue would cause those issues (happy to be wrong), but especially not the color warmth insta-shift/flicker. Right?

Last edited by timoteo; 05-31-2019 at 02:23 PM. Reason: grammar
post #5945 of 5951 Old 05-30-2019, 04:33 PM

To the best of my knowledge the R, G, and B LCD panels are glued together and can not be re-converged by the user on this and other similar Panasonics. They have separate flicker adjustments in the service menu but that's a different issue.

Sudden color shifts can happen when the auto white balance on the camera which made the material jumps between say "daylight" and "incandescent lighting" modes. To be sure that's not the issue, rewind the source and replay the same scene. If the color shift occurs always at that exact time point then it is likely embedded in the source material itself.
Archaea likes this.
post #5946 of 5951 Old 05-31-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Sudden color shifts can happen when the auto white balance on the camera which made the material jumps between say "daylight" and "incandescent lighting" modes. To be sure that's not the issue, rewind the source and replay the same scene. If the color shift occurs always at that exact time point then it is likely embedded in the source material itself.
Not a completely unreasonable thought, but yeah it is definitely not that, as I am viewing professionally made hollywood movies. Trust me they don't use auto white-balance ... and even if they did, that would never make it through post. Also it happens randomly -- not tied to specific timecode/scene.

Could it have anything to do with the lens-shift, perhaps? I'm doubting it as far as the color-tone flashes, but I do have it fairly high in the vertical.

post #5947 of 5951 Old 05-31-2019, 03:06 PM

The only thing which can induce a change in color is changes in the menu values (tint, color, etc.), or the engagement of the color filter, used in some modes (ex. "cinema 1") but not others (ex. "normal"). I don't know of anything which would invoke this mid-scene all by itself, unless there is a change in the incoming format such as resolution, and you've set the values differently per resolution.
post #5948 of 5951 Old 06-03-2019, 12:54 AM

Thanks for the input, m. zillch. I am running it in Cinema 1, so I wonder if it is applying a color filter, like you mentioned, at certain points on the fly for some reason? Is that possible? I'll try it in some other modes when I get a chance.

As I mentioned, I do notice that it happens a LOT less with the dynamic iris off interestingly enough. It was back on again and I was seeing it quite a bit), and I turned it back off and hardly saw the issue last "session."

post #5949 of 5951 Old 06-03-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the input, m. zillch. I am running it in Cinema 1, so I wonder if it is applying a color filter, like you mentioned, at certain points on the fly for some reason? Is that possible? I'll try it in some other modes when I get a chance.

As I mentioned, I do notice that it happens a LOT less with the dynamic iris off interestingly enough. It was back on again and I was seeing it quite a bit), and I turned it back off and hardly saw the issue last "session."
The color filter is literally a physical "gel", a small thing inserted into the light path and if you sit close enough or hold your ear up to the projector you can hear the servo motor which moves it into and out of position as you switch between the modes which do and don't use it. I can't remember for sure but IIRC "normal" and "dynamic" don't use it but most of the other modes do.
post #5950 of 5951 Old 06-05-2019, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

The color at the top and bottom may be dust accumulated on the LCDs. You could see it more easily by projecting a white image.
Regarding the flashes with color change, it could be caused by a defective/loose HDMI cable. Try another cable and/or move it at both ends.
post #5951 of 5951 Old 06-05-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post
The color at the top and bottom may be dust accumulated on the LCDs. You could see it more easily by projecting a white image.
Regarding the flashes with color change, it could be caused by a defective/loose HDMI cable. Try another cable and/or move it at both ends.
Thanks, Ferbal ... I don't think it is dust, but it could be the HDMI cable, it's a little on the old side. Although the fact that is mostly subsides when turning off the auto-iris has me thinking at has something to do with it. Easy enough to test though, will do.

Last edited by timoteo; 06-05-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
contrast , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , green , green blob , issue , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , lcd , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , polarizer , PT-AE8000 , PT-AT6000 , PT-AT6000E , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector