Official Owners' Thread, Panasonic PT-AE8000U (US version) PT-AT6000E (European version) - Page 202 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1064Likes

post #6031 of 6038 Old 05-16-2020, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Thanks for the image. Yes, it looks bad and nothing you can easily fix, sorry.

My estimate based on reading previous posts is ~$600-$750 for parts, labor, and shipping the unit back to you, with a 90-day warranty on their work done (only, not the bulb or anything else) . You pay for shipping to them. Personally I'd be thinking about buying a new pj.

Are you the original owner and did this just happen one day or did it gradually get worse and worse?

Auch... I am the original owner. It gradually got worse and worse

About a new PJ, I bought this one because of the lens shift and lens memory (16/9 - scope), since it's installed in dedicated HT with CIH scope screen... So any replacement should also have this :/

My own build: https://www.avsforum.com/t/1514892/th...ted-ht-project
Panasonic PT-AT6000, Denon X4000, Focal 716-700CC-700SR, SVS PB-1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 6038 Old 05-16-2020, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 6413 Post(s)
Liked: 4618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q8472 View Post
Auch... I am the original owner. It gradually got worse and worse

About a new PJ, I bought this one because of the lens shift and lens memory (16/9 - scope), since it's installed in dedicated HT with CIH scope screen... So any replacement should also have this :/
I don't know anything about what else is out there, sorry.
---

There are other "green tint issue" posts, BTW. Example: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57405644
post #6033 of 6038 Old 05-19-2020, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q8472 View Post
Thanks Mr. Zillch. I had read your post earlier when troubleshooting the problem, however, the misalignment is diagonal and rather big in comparison to the examples you provided. That being sead, I'll reset the lens shift to none, and give it another go.

Also, I noticed that scenes with deep blacks are no longer pitch black, but have a greenish hue. I added a picture to illustrate. Luckily it's not as bad as the picture, but still quite visible the PJ is at 2320hours (eco mode))

I'm really looking for a solution -if any- since I don't want to replace this otherwise great PJ

This is likely caused not by any kind of lcd panel misaligned ( because they usually don’t move), but because of a degradation (burning) of the color filters that sit behind each LCD panel and the convergence prism.

I know this is a good projector, but lately I’ve seen used JVC X500 going for about 600$ or 700$. It’s much better than fixing this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6034 of 6038 Old 05-19-2020, 02:40 PM

The main color filter is physically removed from the light path with a motor (and if you listen carefully you can hear it in action) when selecting the picture modes:Cinema 2, Game, Normal, and Dynamic.

You can hear the filter being reinserted into the light path for :Cinema 1, REC709, D-Cinema, and Cinema 1

If the color fringing is related to that part you'd see it switching between those two groups.
---

Seeing if the color fringing changes direction based on focus and zoom setting may help determine if the problem is in the lens optics.
post #6035 of 6038 Old 05-20-2020, 01:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The main color filter is physically removed from the light path with a motor (and if you listen carefully you can hear it in action) when selecting the picture modes:Cinema 2, Game, Normal, and Dynamic.

You can hear the filter being reinserted into the light path for :Cinema 1, REC709, D-Cinema, and Cinema 1

If the color fringing is related to that part you'd see it switching between those two groups.
---

Seeing if the color fringing changes direction based on focus and zoom setting may help determine if the problem is in the lens optics.

No, that’s not the filter I’m talking about. The filter you’re referring to is the same they call “cinema filter” in Epson projectors, and it’s basically a UV/IR filter, which is too far from the LCD panels to cause the kind of problem we’re discussing. The filters I am referring to are 3 polarizer filters that sit between the LCD panels and the convergence prism (the last element before the front lens); also not the same polarizer filters that sit before the LCD panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
post #6036 of 6038 Old 05-20-2020, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
No, that’s not the filter I’m talking about. The filter you’re referring to is the same they call “cinema filter” in Epson projectors, and it’s basically a UV/IR filter,
The color filter I was discussing is seen here at 1m22s

I'd agree it is not likely the color fringing problem culprit.

Last edited by m. zillch; 05-20-2020 at 02:24 AM.
post #6037 of 6038 Old 05-20-2020, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The color filter I was discussing is seen here at 1m22s

https://youtu.be/Msju4hOmxMI?t=82

I'd agree it is not likely the color fringing problem culprit.
I believe the OP's issue is this one:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...e-problem.html

Not because of the convergence problem, but because of the green hue all over the image. In my view, the convergence issue is a secondary effect of this problem, and most times visible by a separation of the green color (which causes green + magenta separation), except in the OP's case the 3 colors became separated.

Unless the OP is very skilled and somewhat lucky, this isn't worth repairing.

post #6038 of 6038 Old 05-21-2020, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
This is likely caused not by any kind of lcd panel misaligned ( because they usually don’t move), but because of a degradation (burning) of the color filters that sit behind each LCD panel and the convergence prism.

I know this is a good projector, but lately I’ve seen used JVC X500 going for about 600$ or 700$. It’s much better than fixing this one.

Thanks, unfortunately the X500 seems to be laggy and I game on it about 50-60% of the time :/

Quote:
I believe the OP's issue is this one:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...e-problem.html

Not because of the convergence problem, but because of the green hue all over the image. In my view, the convergence issue is a secondary effect of this problem, and most times visible by a separation of the green color (which causes green + magenta separation), except in the OP's case the 3 colors became separated.

Unless the OP is very skilled and somewhat lucky, this isn't worth repairing.

Great link and massive respect for this guy's solution!
Although I considder myself to be handy enough, I lack the courage to undertake this quest as I fear too many things can go south on me and I'd probably end up worse than I started.

Guess I'll better start saving up

My own build: https://www.avsforum.com/t/1514892/th...ted-ht-project
Panasonic PT-AT6000, Denon X4000, Focal 716-700CC-700SR, SVS PB-1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
contrast , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , green , green blob , issue , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , lcd , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector , Panasonic Pt Ae7000u 1080p Full Hd Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , polarizer , PT-AE8000 , PT-AT6000 , PT-AT6000E , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page