AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   Official Sony VPL-HW50ES Owners Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1432654-official-sony-vpl-hw50es-owners-thread.html)

WilliamG 07-13-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbuck (Post 56484452)
What's the model of that? I can't seem to find it when I google JVC 540/790.

JVC DLA-RS540

JVC DLA-X790R

Same projector. Gold ring on 540.

icanic 07-23-2018 12:39 PM

Greetings!
Can someone please tell me is this projector good to buy in 2018.
I can get it for around 800 euros from first user and with about 250 hr on bulb.

Is it a big difference from JVC DLA-X35 in terms of black?

Thank you!

Ricardo Richter 11-01-2018 04:06 PM

I changed my light bulb and since then both lens shift knobs dont work anymore :confused:

Anyone else had that problem? How difficult is it to fix them?

Thanks guys!

dsm1212 11-07-2018 07:20 PM

It seems I must have a burnt panel. I've got a yellowish tint down right side of screen. About 3% wide. I checked my filter and it was dusty but not thick or anything. I blew it off easily. This is my third bulb so I've cleaned it many times. Maybe it's time for a new PJ. Is this costly to get fixed?

steve

dsm1212 11-08-2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsm1212 (Post 57076394)
It seems I must have a burnt panel. I've got a yellowish tint down right side of screen. About 3% wide. I checked my filter and it was dusty but not thick or anything. I blew it off easily. This is my third bulb so I've cleaned it many times. Maybe it's time for a new PJ. Is this costly to get fixed?

steve

Spoke to sony. Optical component issue, the replacement part is $6k and out of stock. Crazy.

NNG 11-11-2018 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsm1212 (Post 57078092)
Spoke to sony. Optical component issue, the replacement part is $6k and out of stock. Crazy.

That's a bummer to hear. How many hours were you able to get from the projector?

On the bright side-4K here you come.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

dsm1212 11-13-2018 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NNG (Post 57093262)
That's a bummer to hear. How many hours were you able to get from the projector?

On the bright side-4K here you come.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I haven't checked but I'm on my third bulb. It's still watchable so I'm not rushing. I like the VPL295, but $5K is a little steep.

steve

dsm1212 11-13-2018 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsm1212 (Post 57100250)
I haven't checked but I'm on my third bulb. It's still watchable so I'm not rushing. I like the VPL295, but $5K is a little steep.

steve

BTW I'm an EE and my son is also technical. If there is a way to repair a burned panel myself please give me a pointer. I can use a soldering iron and I've repaired boards on my dishwasher, dryer, etc. Drives my wife nuts when she wants a new appliance :-).

Archibald1 11-13-2018 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsm1212 (Post 57100452)
BTW I'm an EE and my son is also technical. If there is a way to repair a burned panel myself please give me a pointer. I can use a soldering iron and I've repaired boards on my dishwasher, dryer, etc. Drives my wife nuts when she wants a new appliance :-).

Hi.

The 'burned' panel is quite likely to be a heat damaged filter near the panel. If you can source a replacement or clean it up somehow it may give you some more hours on the unit. If it is the panel itself then it may be a bit more tricky.

If you are prepared to write it off as scrap and will be buying a new unit anyway, then what is the harm in having a go?

Worst case is you still need to take it down the tip. Your call entirely what you do of course. :)

If you can't fix it, sell it for parts.

If you can fix it, sell it on. :)

dsm1212 11-13-2018 06:26 AM

Any photos or videos you can link me to that would explain what I'm looking at if I open it up?

Archibald1 11-13-2018 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsm1212 (Post 57100758)
Any photos or videos you can link me to that would explain what I'm looking at if I open it up?

Sorry I haven't no. You could do what I did and buy a couple of scrap 3LCD projectors from eBay and just take them apart try to fix them etc as there are many commonalities with those and these three chip units.

You can probably download a service manual for the HW50Es by now.

Have a search for one of those. :)

generic_user 04-09-2019 01:40 PM

non-uniform focus

Sorry for asking this -- I have a feeling this must have been mentioned already in this thread, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to search just this thread for answers.

I've got a VPL-HW50ES -- It has 18156 operational hours on it.

Recently, I've been having a terrible time getting the entire screen to focus uniformly. If I get the center of the screen to focus, the corners go out of focus, etc -- I can move the focus point around, but it's like I've got a too-shallow depth of field problem even though the projector is dead center to a flat screen.

Has anyone paid to have this type of problem repaired? I called United Radio (Sony's recommended repair place) and was quoted $320 to see it and ship it back, but they weren't able to give me a price on the part that might need to be replaced. I've see people post here that there are parts that exceed the original MSRP, so I'd rather not ship it to them just to have them ship it back.

Also, are there any well regarded repair shops near San Francisco instead? Since the projector is out of warranty, I supposed there's little point in using United Radio? Sony mentioned that United Radio had a "white room" and that most repair shops don't have this -- I assume this is some type of clean room thing to keep dust out?

ltd76gold 04-09-2019 08:15 PM

18000 hours? Man, I've done that on two sonys but @9000 hrs each. A 50 then 65es.

Both of my opt blocks failed or showed signs of same. The parts to fix? Absurdly more costly than prudent.

Look for something newer. Last as long as you can with yours but begin your search... Soon.
Doug