Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 480 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4909Likes

post #14371 of 19419 Old 05-16-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
But that won't be the case for other projectors, receivers and pre / pros and all your cables. Progress moves on. But that is a good feature for the 5000ES.
That said, the notion of "future proof" is a myth which is growing stronger. Every aspect of an uber hi-end projector will be so different by 2025, aside from the lens and maybe a few modular parts or firmware versions, that the 5000ES will be a dinosaur. All of our current projectors will be. All of our sources will be along with our HDMI cables too. Pre/pros are a little different with respect to the audio side since the likes of Atmos (and whatever follows in the next decade) is much more of a gimmick or otherwise optional (assuming video direct to projector) when compared to the rather serious advances in projectors.
R Harkness likes this.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14372 of 19419 Old 05-16-2016, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The Dune will stay for the ability to play back the 2D and 3D BD's with full menu support and also the portability. It's very small and easy to carry around. I think they will fix my 1 concern with the 3D MVC MKV's. There is no reason it can't support it, it can already play back the 3D ISO's.

The theme in this topic is the overall convenience these devices afford on the road and in home theater. The UHD Samsung player is a reminder of how much I don't like swapping BD's in a player. Over the last 3 years with the Mede8ter, I have instant, direct access to 50TB+ of my BD's. They stay safe in temp controlled room, and away from human hands. All of this for an extremely low cost when you look at the devices like the kaleidescape. I know there are major licensing fees involved and this adds to their cost, etc.

These devices and methods of backup are a bit rogue and off the grid - but glad all this technology exists for those who know how to take advantage of it.
Zombie,

I'm still surprised you don't have one of these: http://www.kaleidescape.com/

It seems like it would eliminate a lot of clutter for people. If I had the money, I would definitely have this toy.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #14373 of 19419 Old 05-16-2016, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
... I'm struggling to see the need or use for this.
I'm struggling hard to see the need for HDR - period!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14374 of 19419 Old 05-16-2016, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
Please don't take it personal, I was referring to what I personally think the AVERAGE person that drops that kinda coin on a PJ would be like.
It was more or less a joke, I don't live in that stratosphere, so peeps like me that grew up scratchin' goof around about that stuff.
No harm meant.
I only just saw the notification for this! No offense taken at all buddy! It was just an observation/conversation I had with my GF.

You could find 'normal' people in 'normal' houses driving $60k cars who would think you were insane for buying a $60k projector.... doesn't make sense! Each to their own!
post #14375 of 19419 Old 05-16-2016, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 5236 Post(s)
Liked: 5486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post
Zombie,

I'm still surprised you don't have one of these: http://www.kaleidescape.com/

It seems like it would eliminate a lot of clutter for people. If I had the money, I would definitely have this toy.
Hi, I have no interest in this device. It's too much cost just to be able to 'legally' archive my BD collection........ that I already paid for. My current setup is pennies on the dollar for that investment and it's easy to just keep adding storage to my RAID setup. Another room with a TV? only $200 for the Mede8ter 800x.

Plus I don't like being tethered to any company to watch my content. That's the whole point and simplicity of this setup. MKV and BD ISO are as standard as the MP3 format. Those files be will able to be played back on many different systems for the foreseeable future. no proprietary hardware necessary.

The portability is another cool factor, I have ~40 of my favorite movies on the 2TB internal drive in a box a little bigger than a cell phone.

Craig Peer, HTPCat and Mr. Hatcher like this.
post #14376 of 19419 Old 05-16-2016, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 5236 Post(s)
Liked: 5486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
I have been talking about this - especially about HDMI 2.1 for dynamic metadata - for months, in this very thread [EDIT: wrong thread, meant the JVC thread].

It's unlikely we'll see any remotely decent implementation of HDR before the end of 2017 I'm afraid, and that's a best case scenario.

This is why the current models are perfect to dip our toes into HDR and UHD Bluray, but I would certainly not buy any expensive display until all this dust settles. There is no point waiting for the next models as HDMI 2.1 won't be finalized by the end of the year, and if they need new silicon for HDMI 2.1, then they'll never support it.

Re the VW5000ES, you would also need a guarantee that they have solved their panels degradation issue, which they will never give you of course.

For me my next PJ upgrade is native 4K, laser, HDMI 2.1 and ideally Dolby Vision (if it ever makes it to projectors, or maybe to the Radiance Pro) for under 10K. Until all these are offered, I'm likely to stick to the RS500 which is a great stop-gap solution.
agreed, the price point of the current JVC's is a good place to be to experiment until this is all hashed out in a few years.
Mike Garrett and kohe321 like this.
post #14377 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Thanks Rick, pls keep us posted when you get a chance on your experience.
I received my Sony glass yesterday and have been doing many test on my Sony 665 with more than 10 3D blu ray.

I dont have the JVC anymore to do a real valid comparaison but I think it's pretty safe to say JVC still have the tiny edge for less ghosting in 3D.

Having say that, the good news for Sony 665 owners is Sony also have made a big stride in the right direction. The ghosting is almost non existant and the picture look more clean and realistic than any last generation Sony. Like I mention, from memory, new generation JVC may still have a tiny bit less ghosting but overall the 3D on the Sony 665 is very good. If you look for it you can still spot some ghosting here and there but one point is that the "background ghosting" is way better than last generation and that made the image a big step forward in term of clarity and visible details.The image seem more in focus.

That's it for now, still have plenty of test to do so will report back later...
d.j. and zombie10k like this.
post #14378 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 499
HDR10 Update

Apparently all of the issues that we're currently having with HDR are not going away until we do another technology update on our systems including an update to HDMI 2.1.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1463138030

EDIT: Sorry, I just saw that Zombie already posted this.

Last edited by darrellh44; 05-18-2016 at 07:21 AM.
post #14379 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
If display manufacturers can't get HDR10 with static metadata right, how in the heck are they going to make dynamic metadata work?

I'm not saying it's not possible, but everyone is complaining about how JVC (and Sony?) are handling HDR10 with static metadata, they haven't even got that right apparently. Dynamic Metadata would seem to be an order of magnitude (at least) more complicated problem to solve.
rak306 likes this.

Last edited by stanger89; 05-18-2016 at 07:45 AM.
post #14380 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Will Dolby Vision require HDMI 2.1?
post #14381 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 5412
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
If display manufacturers can't get HDR10 with static metadata right, how in the heck are they going to make dynamic metadata work?

I'm not saying it's not possible, but everyone is complaining about how JVC (and Sony?) are handling HDR10 with static metadata, they haven't even got that right apparently. Dynamic Metadata would seem to be an order of magnitude (at least) more complicated problem to solve.
HDR10 is not finished. They are finishing the standard, and it requires HDMI 2.1 to benefit from better tone mapping through dynamic metadata.

Once they have completed the standard, especially once specs are defined for consumer playback, it should be fairly solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
Will Dolby Vision require HDMI 2.1?
No, Dolby Vision works fine with HDMI 2.0, it doesn't even require HDMI 2.0a.

HDMI 2.1 is required for dynamic metadata through HDR10.

Dolby Vision uses additional, proprietary and mandatory hardware in the source and the display which means it doesn't need any special help from HDMI.
zombie10k and kohe321 like this.
post #14382 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
I have been talking about this - especially about HDMI 2.1 for dynamic metadata - for months, in this very thread [EDIT: wrong thread, meant the JVC thread].

It's unlikely we'll see any remotely decent implementation of HDR before the end of 2017 I'm afraid, and that's a best case scenario.

This is why the current models are perfect to dip our toes into HDR and UHD Bluray, but I would certainly not buy any expensive display until all this dust settles. There is no point waiting for the next models as HDMI 2.1 won't be finalized by the end of the year, and if they need new silicon for HDMI 2.1, then they'll never support it.

Re the VW5000ES, you would also need a guarantee that they have solved their panels degradation issue, which they will never give you of course.

For me my next PJ upgrade is native 4K, laser, HDMI 2.1 and ideally Dolby Vision (if it ever makes it to projectors, or maybe to the Radiance Pro) for under 10K. Until all these are offered, I'm likely to stick to the RS500 which is a great stop-gap solution.
Great post. This is my plan as well, just that my stop-gap projector is the Epson LS10000. I'm more than happy with the picture this gives through regular blu-ray and feel no pressing need for an upgrade at all yet. When I eventually upgrade, I want it to be as painless and easy to set up as the current generation of equipment is. Being on the bleeding edge of technology like this can certainly be fun for those who like the technical aspect and the challenge of figuring things out, but it's also too expensive and stressful for me.

It will be very interesting to follow what happens in the coming years as the new format and standards get hammered out. Cool times ahead for AV technology hobbyists
post #14383 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
HDR10 is not finished. They are finishing the standard, and it requires HDMI 2.1 to benefit from better tone mapping through dynamic metadata.

Once they have completed the standard, especially once specs are defined for consumer playback, it should be fairly solid.
Manni,

When you say "once specs are defined for consumer playback, it should be fairly solid", are you referring to the static metadata version of HDR10, or do you mean we'll need the dynamic version with HDMI 2.1 for it to work right?

Thanks,
Darrell
post #14384 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Remains to be seen. I'm doubtful. I just don't think a movie graded for 4k NITS will end up looking good on a 400-600 NIT display. (But I could be wrong.)

Last edited by rak306; 05-18-2016 at 09:10 AM.
post #14385 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
Manni,

When you say "once specs are defined for consumer playback, it should be fairly solid", are you referring to the static metadata version of HDR10, or do you mean we'll need the dynamic version with HDMI 2.1 for it to work right?

Thanks,
Darrell
At the moment, with the static version of HDR10, we have two main issues. 1) The standard isn't finished and doesn't define clear specs for consumer content playback, so each manufacturer does its own implementation and doesn't share what it does with for example calibration software developers and 2) the metadata provided in the current implementation is static (for the whole film) instead of being specific to each scene/shot, which limits the accuracy and flexibility of the presentation on a variety of displays, as well as the use of a dynamic iris. Both these issues should be resolved with the HDR10 implementation using HDMI 2.1. I have no idea if we'll get 1) which doesn't need HDMI 2.1 before 2), but hopefully we'll get both with the implementation requiring HDMI 2.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak306 View Post
Remains to be seen. I'm doubtful. I just don't think a movie graded for 4k NITS will end up looking good on a 400-600 NIT display. (But I could be wrong.)
Sure, but that's a limitation of our projectors, for which HDR makes little sense anyway. HDR10 can be completed and work for 99% of the marker (flat panels). They have made it very clear that home projection wasn't even an afterthought.

Still HDR already works fairly well today despite these limitations, so I'm not as gloomy as you are. We can't calibrate for it, but the JVC Autocal does a good job and the Panny player works very well.

To get a better implementation for projectors, we'll need a laser source with a good modulation implementation and perfect fade to black. It would be great to get the cinema grade, but it's unlikely to happen as the market is too small. As far as I'm concerned, I will be happy with a projector that can reach 200nits in low lamp and offers a working auto iris implementation thanks to dynamic metadata as well as perfect fade to black thanks to the laser. I don't want brighter than that due to fan noise, power consumption and heat.

Hence why my next planned upgrade is a laser with native 4K, HDMI 2.1 and ideally Dolby Vision (as well HLG to be complete). All for under 10K .

I don't expect this to land, if we're lucky, before the end of 2017, so I plan to enjoy my RS500 for a little while. It's a fantastic projector for the money.
zombie10k and kohe321 like this.
post #14386 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sure, but that's a limitation of our projectors, for which HDR makes little sense anyway. HDR10 can be completed and work for 99% of the marker (flat panels). They have made it very clear that home projection wasn't even an afterthought.
I was refering to flat panels, few of which go over 600 NITs. Frankly, I think they would have been better off grading current HDR movies for 600 NITS. That is something many FP can achieve. Then at a later time, when the technology catches up with the specification, they could use a higher NIT grade like 4K NITS.

As for projectors, I don't think it's worth the raised black floor just to have brighter highlights (especially for those who have bat caves - unfortunately due to WAF, I'm not one of them). And we are not likely to get higher contrast ratio projectors without significant cost increase. But who knows.
post #14387 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
... As far as I'm concerned, I will be happy with a projector that can reach 200nits in low lamp and offers a working auto iris implementation thanks to dynamic metadata as well as perfect fade to black thanks to the laser. I don't want brighter than that due to fan noise, power consumption and heat.
If I did my math right, that would require about 1900 lumens for a 120", 1.3 gain screen.

Now a question for you:

As you know, movies at the theater are graded for 48 NITs, and standard Blu-rays are graded for 100 NITs.

UHD HDR BR are supposed to have the same "average brightness" (I would say the same median brightness) as a standard Blu-ray. Before the RS500/600, most struggled to get even 48 NITS peak white. So here is the question:

With standard Blu-rays - what peak brightness are you using in your setup? How about for UHD HDR BR?

Thanks Rick
post #14388 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If I did my math right, that would require about 1900 lumens for a 120", 1.3 gain screen.

Now a question for you:

As you know, movies at the theater are graded for 48 NITs, and standard Blu-rays are graded for 100 NITs.

UHD HDR BR are supposed to have the same "average brightness" (I would say the same median brightness) as a standard Blu-ray. Before the RS500/600, most struggled to get even 48 NITS peak white. So here is the question:

With standard Blu-rays - what peak brightness are you using in your setup? How about for UHD HDR BR?

Thanks Rick
Yes, I should have said that I was after 200nits in HDR BT2020 in low lamp for my puny 88" diag 16/9 Carada BW (gain 1.1)

I can already get up to around 250nits in rec-709, 210nits in BT2020 (with the filter, so reaching close to 70% of BT2020 / 100% of P3). But that's in high lamp with is hot, noisy and it raises the black levels. Hence my satisfaction if I could reach 200nits in low lamp (in BT2020 HDR).

I've already posted all this info in the JVC thread. Currently I aim for 50nits in SDR rec-709 or BT2020 (iris at -14, low lamp, which gives me 100000:1 native on/off) for bluray. I get around 150nits in high lamp with the iris at -7 (60000:1 on/off) for UHD Bluray HDR to find the best compromise between brightness and on/off contrast / black levels.
rak306 likes this.

Last edited by Manni01; 05-18-2016 at 11:24 AM.
post #14389 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Yes, I should have said that I was after 200nits in HDR BT2020 in low lamp for my puny 88" diag 16/9 Carada BW (gain 1.1)

I can already get up to around 250nits in rec-709, 210nits in BT2020 (with the filter, so reaching close to 70% of BT2020 / 100% of P3). But that's in high lamp with is hot, noisy and it raises the black levels. Hence my satisfaction if I could reach 200nits in low lamp (in BT2020 HDR).

I've already posted all this info in the JVC thread. Currently I aim for 50nits in SDR rec-709 or BT2020 (iris at -14, low lamp, which gives me 100000:1 native on/off) for bluray. I get around 150nits in high lamp with the iris at -7 (60000:1 on/off) for UHD Bluray HDR to find the best compromise between brightness and on/off contrast / black levels.
Manni,

100,000:1 is very impressive.

Do you find with standard Blu-ray a large improvement going from the RS4910 to the RS500 in terms of contrast and blacks? Do you recall your contrast level with the 4910?
post #14390 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Manni,

100,000:1 is very impressive.

Do you find with standard Blu-ray a large improvement going from the RS4910 to the RS500 in terms of contrast and blacks? Do you recall your contrast level with the 4910?

I used to get about half the native on/off (at the centre of the screen) with my RS49, around 50000:1. The difference doesn't look that drastic in SDR / Rec-709.

The picture is more refined in about every way, but it's not day and night for bluray, especially if you don't use eshift. I haven't watched a lot of bluray though (or even a lot of UHD Bluray) as I'm busy with work at the moment.

I mostly upgraded to be able to play with HDR and get the most of UHD Bluray (especially the filter) and 3D Bluray (much less ghosting and vastly brighter). For 2D bluray, I would have kept my RS49 and simply replaced the lamp as I don't use eshift and don't need the additional brightness .
DavidHir likes this.
post #14391 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:

Your expectations for a "next projector" are in line with mine, more or less. Granted, the RS600 is my first projector, so I'm less experienced with front projection (explicitly) and less likely to be looking to satisfy a video upgrade urge. I've been an audiophile for years now, however, so I do have some common sense which is applicable to front projection home theater. It's easy to get caught up in a web of tech acronyms which are easy to toss around and discuss in terms of "does it come with _____?". This emphasis can serve to obscure the big picture (no pun intended!), which is to get an ever more amazing image. Oft times, throwing gobs of cash into a latest and greatest isn't the best decision. We should remind ourselves that screen material upgrades can make a tremendous improvement. Addressing room reflections with black velvet will have an impact. Pro ISF calibration (for the non-experts). And so on.

I can just see some of us having to convince a prospective buyer in 3 years that an RS500/600 at $2,000 is going to easily best a $3,000 SRP entry level projector even though it has a few 2020 bells and whistles.
kohe321 likes this.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
post #14392 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Currently I aim for 50nits in SDR rec-709 or BT2020 (iris at -14, low lamp, which gives me 100000:1 native on/off) for bluray. I get around 150nits in high lamp with the iris at -7 (60000:1 on/off) for UHD Bluray HDR to find the best compromise between brightness and on/off contrast / black levels.
So for standard blu-rays, you are watching at 1/2 the brightness level the film was graded for - is that correct? Say a gray card was in the movie. And on standard blu-ray, with 100% peak white being 100 NITS, this card was 18 NITS. From what you said, I would surmise when you watch standard blu-ray, the card would show up on your system at 9 NITS. And the question is, with your UHD setup, and 150 NIT peak, what level would this card show up as (e.g. 9 NIT or 18 NIT)? I'm not sure, but I hope that was clear.

Now that I can get a brighter picture, I go for about 75 NIT peak on my 120" HP 2.8 for standard blu-ray. To me 100 NITs (SDR) is too bright for that size screen. Prior to that, all I get was about 35-40 NITs.
post #14393 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So for standard blu-rays, you are watching at 1/2 the brightness level the film was graded for - is that correct? Say a gray card was in the movie. And on standard blu-ray, with 100% peak white being 100 NITS, this card was 18 NITS. From what you said, I would surmise when you watch standard blu-ray, the card would show up on your system at 9 NITS. And the question is, with your UHD setup, and 150 NIT peak, what level would this card show up as (e.g. 9 NIT or 18 NIT)? I'm not sure, but I hope that was clear.

Now that I can get a brighter picture, I go for about 75 NIT peak on my 120" HP 2.8 for standard blu-ray. To me 100 NITs (SDR) is too bright for that size screen. Prior to that, all I get was about 35-40 NITs.
Your grey card example doesn't make sense because it's not in a completely dark room but in day light. Everything has to be adjusted.

Just like HDR was designed for flat panels in a living room with ambiant light, the 100nits for bluray is designed for the same environment. Unlike HDR which only shoots above this reference white occasionally, 100nits in a dedicated room (I have a batcave with 0 ambiant light, not even a LED) would be way too excessive. I guess if you go up to 75nits it's because you have some ambiant light in a room.

Also when I calibrated I don't resolve up to 255 (as per THX) but up to 235. This saves a lot of brightness and on/off contrast.

Going to 75nits, apart from hurting my eyes, would lower my native on/off and raise my black levels. Why would I want to do this?

Anyway, to each their own
post #14394 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Forgot to answer your question

In UHD bluray, the grey card will display at close to the same brightness as bluray. Reference white is around 100nits in HDR too (not a spec, just a common practice) for consumer content, and everything up to that point displays at about the same brightness level (or should if both HDR and SDR are well calibrated.)

When I calibrate HDR, I set the brightness level so that everything but highlights (reflection on chrome, sun in a window or in the sky, reflections on water or snow, etc) looks about the same brightness wise.

It's only highlights that would shoot higher than reference white, which will be at around 50nits in my setup, just as in SDR. 0-50nits will look about the same, with highlights able to shoot up to 150nits (in my best compromise setup, above 200nits otherwise).

This is the way it is mastered, and the way it's supposed to be.
rak306 likes this.

Last edited by Manni01; 05-18-2016 at 12:54 PM.
post #14395 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Your grey card example doesn't make sense because it's not in a completely dark room but in day light. Everything has to be adjusted.

Just like HDR was designed for flat panels in a living room with ambiant light, the 100nits for bluray is designed for the same environment. Unlike HDR which only shoots above this reference white occasionally, 100nits in a dedicated room (I have a batcave with 0 ambiant light, not even a LED) would be way too excessive. I guess if you go up to 75nits it's because you have some ambiant light in a room.

Also when I calibrated I don't resolve up to 255 (as per THX) but up to 235. This saves a lot of brightness and on/off contrast.

Going to 75nits, apart from hurting my eyes, would lower my native on/off and raise my black levels. Why would I want to do this?

Anyway, to each their own
I'm in no way making a judgement on your setup. Rather, just trying to understand it. My room is also dark for movies, but not a bat cave. The extra brightness I use is because the picture has more punch, while still having good black levels.

The gray card was just a way to put numbers to an example, to make it clear what I was getting at. Surely someone could hold a gray card in a movie, and the NIT level coming off it would depend on how much light was falling on it. Outside, it might be 6000 NITs, indoors, it might be 5 NITs. The question wasn't about the gray card itself, but rather, for the same mid picture level, do you watch the UHD HDR BR and the standard blue-ray, at the same brightness.

From your response, I think the answer is yes, and at a lower level than as specified in the the absolute level - PQ curve. And I would do the same for projectors, in your case, giving 3x nominal peak white for the "HDR effect". I do think that is a good compromise, and thanks for sharing your setup/experiences.
Manni01 likes this.
post #14396 of 19419 Old 05-18-2016, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm in no way making a judgement on your setup. Rather, just trying to understand it. My room is also dark for movies, but not a bat cave. The extra brightness I use is because the picture has more punch, while still having good black levels.

The gray card was just a way to put numbers to an example, to make it clear what I was getting at. Surely someone could hold a gray card in a movie, and the NIT level coming off it would depend on how much light was falling on it. Outside, it might be 6000 NITs, indoors, it might be 5 NITs. The question wasn't about the gray card itself, but rather, for the same mid picture level, do you watch the UHD HDR BR and the standard blue-ray, at the same brightness.

From your response, I think the answer is yes, and at a lower level than as specified in the the absolute level - PQ curve. And I would do the same for projectors, in your case, giving 3x nominal peak white for the "HDR effect". I do think that is a good compromise, and thanks for sharing your setup/experiences.
Realised I missed the question after posting, answer above your post
post #14397 of 19419 Old 05-19-2016, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hello there,

I think i am gonne setup a second projector for gaming.
I have now a JVC rs400 for movie watching.

Would be a MITSUBISHI HC9000D good for gaming?

Best regards
post #14398 of 19419 Old 05-19-2016, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Has anyone paired one of the new JVC projectors with the DNP 08-85 screen material? I'm wondering how well that pair works together. I have a very non-optimal room, so I'm thinking of a TV for daytime use, and a motorized DNP Flex Classic with 08-85 material + JVC RS500 for night viewing.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this combo, and pictures would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Dave
post #14399 of 19419 Old 05-19-2016, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11809 Post(s)
Liked: 9346
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Has anyone paired one of the new JVC projectors with the DNP 08-85 screen material? I'm wondering how well that pair works together. I have a very non-optimal room, so I'm thinking of a TV for daytime use, and a motorized DNP Flex Classic with 08-85 material + JVC RS500 for night viewing.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this combo, and pictures would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Dave
I have had several customers pair DNP 08-85 with JVC and Sony projectors. All of them were very happy. One customer that had VW1000 and 120" 08-85 screen, liked it so much, that when he had to move to Switzerland, he was going to take his screen with him, if he could not buy a new one and have it delivered to his new home. He liked the 08-85 that much. With the increased brightness of the JVC's, the 08-85 will work well at 120".
post #14400 of 19419 Old 05-19-2016, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post

Thanks,
Dave
Not sure if you ever read this link:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-scr...ns-inside.html

I almost bought one but glad I was able to view it first on numerous occasions, including a visit at their nearby facility. It really looked very good when matched with very bright projectors but the low gain won't help my situation especially if I plan to use the screen with current ultra blu ray material and hdr.
You should request for a sample and see how it works compared to a white material at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page