Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 596 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5024Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #17851 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
TheSony4KRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 573
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The UHD catalog titles keep rolling in. I completely forgot I had this sitting on a shelf for 10 years in the wrapper. 30th anniversary and now the 40th anniversary. wow that went quick.

One thing I miss with the UHD's - with BD you could get a great inset (the 30th has it) with images from the movie, the making of, etc. LaserDisc had all the great inserts, I keep them for that alone. especially some of the Disney material and a 3 page written letter from James Cameron in the T2 LaserDisc release.




The ALIEN laserdisc inset is excellent

Spoiler!


i'm glad to see UHD BD taking off. There was a chance not long ago that our only hope would have been streaming for UHD content. Netflix UHD looks great for streaming but it's no substitute for a high bitrate UHD disc with 3D sound.

Hehe

That Alien laserdisc is my goto when I am feeling in a "grindhouse" mood.
I also have the 1990 Criterion collection laserdisc of Close Encounters which was the first ever branching release that allowed you to watch the theatrical or special edition.

Those late 80s/early 90s transfers also kept the dirt and the grain.

I actually have my Pioneer 925 laserdisc player wired up to my Panny AE2000 and plug in the odd laserdisc when I feel like watching beat up transfers.

When I want better quality than laserdisc.....and want to watch dark material/sci-fi then the rs600 is my port of call.

And if I want to be immersed in pure UHD sharpness then the Sony 1000es the comes in to play.

Looking forward to getting the UHDs of E.T and Close Encounters.
zombie10k likes this.
TheSony4KRises is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17852 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 23,130
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2390
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I get all of my games on Steam now, but I still like having hardcopies of movies. I like having them, looking at them and most of all watching them. I might stream the odd movie but for critical viewing I prefer a BD.
Funny, I was about to post something very similar, I get my games direct from Xbox Live, yet I want physical discs for movies. I suppose it's partly because there's absolutely no difference in content between a downloaded game and a disc based one, and partly because games are often obsolete, uninteresting after a number of years, while movies seem to age better.
stanger89 is offline  
post #17853 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,443
Mentioned: 532 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7222 Post(s)
Liked: 6908
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Funny, I was about to post something very similar, I get my games direct from Xbox Live, yet I want physical discs for movies. I suppose it's partly because there's absolutely no difference in content between a downloaded game and a disc based one, and partly because games are often obsolete, uninteresting after a number of years, while movies seem to age better.
The best way is having all your discs backed up into instantly playable files through MadVR

Its even better for guests, you can hand them a remote and they can browse your films with full posters and movie synopsis, even trailers if they so wish right there on the screen. Makes it a joy vs browsing a bunch of bluray spines on a shelf.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17854 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 05:56 PM
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 10,827
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
The best way is having all your discs backed up into instantly playable files through MadVR

Its even better for guests, you can hand them a remote and they can browse your films with full posters and movie synopsis, even trailers if they so wish right there on the screen. Makes it a joy vs browsing a bunch of bluray spines on a shelf.
I agree. It makes your theater look so much more well put together.
Javs likes this.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #17855 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 23,130
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
The best way is having all your discs backed up into instantly playable files through MadVR
The second I can do that with UHD discs, I'll be all over it. My whole collection of Blu-ray's are ripped to my server. Though I don't use madVR, I picked up a GTX 1060 to give madVR (via DSPlayer) a try, but I didn't notice a difference. Probably my eyesight, which is quite good, but not perfect uncorrected, and I don't have distance glasses other than my sunglasses.
Javs likes this.
stanger89 is offline  
post #17856 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
The Bogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,406
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I use the UB900 for Netflix in HDR and it works brilliantly, the only thing I wish it did was true 24p though, its always 60p in Netflix on the Panny.
What is it you see that gives it away that it's 60p? i.e. is it the soap opera effect? I've been trying to decide on ub900 vs oppo 203 with Roku. I read that the Netflix on the Panny is 60p but wasn't sure what the end result looked like...

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
The Bogg is offline  
post #17857 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,523
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13984 Post(s)
Liked: 11659
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Any problems with HDR with Netflix? If not, I'll probably just order the roku ultra today.
Oppo just issued the update that allowed the HDMI input to be able to pass HDR. I tried it on several movies and it seemed to work fine.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #17858 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,443
Mentioned: 532 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7222 Post(s)
Liked: 6908
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
What is it you see that gives it away that it's 60p? i.e. is it the soap opera effect? I've been trying to decide on ub900 vs oppo 203 with Roku. I read that the Netflix on the Panny is 60p but wasn't sure what the end result looked like...
TBH, shows are not that bad, but if you were to side by side 24p with 60p, 24 is always going to look more smooth and natural.

It just looks and feels like you are watching television vs a feature film of any kind.

But I never watch movies on Netflix only shows, so I guess its less of a huge issue for me. Still an issue none the less though.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #17859 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 06:40 PM
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 10,827
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
It feels like every time someone complains about JVC issues with HDR there is a Roku involved, I would be cautious about those.

I use the UB900 for Netflix in HDR and it works brilliantly, the only thing I wish it did was true 24p though, its always 60p in Netflix on the Panny.
I wonder if the message has gotten to Panasonic about this? I hope this is added via firmware update.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #17860 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,443
Mentioned: 532 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7222 Post(s)
Liked: 6908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I wonder if the message has gotten to Panasonic about this? I hope this is added via firmware update.
I actually almost feel like its some sort of restriction in the coding language in which Netflix is written on the Panasonic. Like the backend runs at 60hz for eg.

It otherwise is a pretty perplexing oversight.

It really annoyed me on the PS3 and PS4 also.

I also feel like its not Panasonic who can fix it, rather Netflix would need to write a new app.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #17861 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 06:45 PM
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 10,827
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I actually almost feel like its some sort of restriction in the coding language in which Netflix is written on the Panasonic. Like the backend runs at 60hz for eg.

It otherwise is a pretty perplexing oversight.

It really annoyed me on the PS3 and PS4 also.

I also feel like its not Panasonic who can fix it, rather Netflix would need to write a new app.
Are there no hardware players that have 24p support for Netflix? It seems like this is something they should have gotten straightened out years ago considering probably 95%+ of all the content they stream/host is 24p.
mbw23air likes this.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #17862 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,443
Mentioned: 532 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7222 Post(s)
Liked: 6908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Since my prepro will not pass HDCP 2.2 I am using the HDMI input on the Oppo 203 with a Roku Ultra for Netflix HDR. The 203 is fed directly to the projector. Trying to decide on what prepro to get. Am considering the new Emotiva that ships in January. Or I may just go with another Marantz.
Referring to the RMC?

If so, thats a mighty processor, and very high on my wish list!

I only hesitate with something like HDMI 2.1 being around the so called corner.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #17863 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,443
Mentioned: 532 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7222 Post(s)
Liked: 6908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Are there no hardware players that have 24p support for Netflix?
Well, I could search classifieds for that old piece of literal junk called Samsung K8500. Since they did get that right. About the only thing they got right.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #17864 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,523
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13984 Post(s)
Liked: 11659
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Referring to the RMC?

If so, thats a mighty processor, and very high on my wish list!

I only hesitate with something like HDMI 2.1 being around the so called corner.
THe upgrade path for the RMC is what has me considering it. If I can get upgrades for a small fee rather than needing to buy a new prepro every year or evey other year, then it makes sense, especially with the quality of this piece.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #17865 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,443
Mentioned: 532 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7222 Post(s)
Liked: 6908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
THe upgrade path for the RMC is what has me considering it. If I can get upgrades for a small fee rather than needing to buy a new prepro every year or evey other year, then it makes sense, especially with the quality of this piece.


I agree however the only issue is you will be completely at Emotivas mercy to get any chip updates out and that will certainly not happen in a hurry when there are new technologies announced.

They only just barely got the XMC up to date with hdcp 2.2 and hdr passthrough etc IIRC. People were in the lurch for well over a year on that.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #17866 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 13,227
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5680 Post(s)
Liked: 6256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
Hehe

That Alien laserdisc is my goto when I am feeling in a "grindhouse" mood.
I also have the 1990 Criterion collection laserdisc of Close Encounters which was the first ever branching release that allowed you to watch the theatrical or special edition.

Those late 80s/early 90s transfers also kept the dirt and the grain.

I actually have my Pioneer 925 laserdisc player wired up to my Panny AE2000 and plug in the odd laserdisc when I feel like watching beat up transfers.

When I want better quality than laserdisc.....and want to watch dark material/sci-fi then the rs600 is my port of call.

And if I want to be immersed in pure UHD sharpness then the Sony 1000es the comes in to play.

Looking forward to getting the UHDs of E.T and Close Encounters.
I still have my Pioneer CLD-99 + Yamaha DTS decoder. having the DTS version of Jurassic Park was a big deal back then.

this was a 10 year later unboxing of the sealed 30th Close Encounters BD. Some nice gold in there including the 30+ page book of cast and set + a map of the 3 versions that are also on the UHD HDR version as well.


TheSony4KRises likes this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #17867 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 28,523
Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13984 Post(s)
Liked: 11659
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I agree however the only issue is you will be completely at Emotivas mercy to get any chip updates out and that will certainly not happen in a hurry when there are new technologies announced.

They only just barely got the XMC up to date with hdcp 2.2 and hdr passthrough etc IIRC. People were in the lurch for well over a year on that.
Yep, that is a factor that also has to be included into the decision.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #17868 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 08:42 PM
Senior Member
 
khactuyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Jose, California, 95112-6147
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Send a message via Yahoo to khactuyen
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
The second I can do that with UHD discs, I'll be all over it. My whole collection of Blu-ray's are ripped to my server. Though I don't use madVR, I picked up a GTX 1060 to give madVR (via DSPlayer) a try, but I didn't notice a difference. Probably my eyesight, which is quite good, but not perfect uncorrected, and I don't have distance glasses other than my sunglasses.
Do you have another player as Pana UD900 or Oppo 2xx? Do you think PQ upscaling 4K on HTPC (GTX 1060) is better?
Thanks.
khactuyen is offline  
post #17869 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 08:57 PM
Senior Member
 
AndreNewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Are there no hardware players that have 24p support for Netflix? It seems like this is something they should have gotten straightened out years ago considering probably 95%+ of all the content they stream/host is 24p.


Has anyone with a linker tried to spoof their player into 24p? I remember with one of the first chromecasts it couldn't do 60p bandwidth so it dropped to 24p.

I wonder if you were to strip all the modes except 24p with a linker if the player would switch to 24p.

Anyone got one to have a go?

Home Cinema, JVC X7000,3.3m Cinemascope Beamax, Vertex.Yamaha 3050, Quad 606, Apple TV 4k, MadVR & Kodi HTPC.
Monitor Audio Silver 8, Silver C350, Silver 1's, Mass 10 for ATMOS, Minidsp 2x4HD, BK Monolith.
Lots of velvet and mineral wool.
AndreNewman is offline  
post #17870 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 09:06 PM
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 10,827
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2595
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post
Has anyone with a linker tried to spoof their player into 24p? I remember with one of the first chromecasts it couldn't do 60p bandwidth so it dropped to 24p.

I wonder if you were to strip all the modes except 24p with a linker if the player would switch to 24p.

Anyone got one to have a go?
You'd have to make your own custom EDID to test this out, but I have a feeling it wouldn't work anyways.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #17871 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 13,227
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5680 Post(s)
Liked: 6256
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post
What is it you see that gives it away that it's 60p? i.e. is it the soap opera effect? I've been trying to decide on ub900 vs oppo 203 with Roku. I read that the Netflix on the Panny is 60p but wasn't sure what the end result looked like...
it doesn't look like 24p with FI turned on, it's more natural appearing and I think it looks good with fast paced content like Marvel's Iron Fist. The Roku is also stuck at 60p, only the Samsung 8500 will run 24p with Netflix. I have one here still but dread turning it on. slow interface, terrible remote.
zombie10k is online now  
post #17872 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 09:18 PM
Senior Member
 
AndreNewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
it doesn't look like 24p with FI turned on, it's more natural appearing and I think it looks good with fast paced content like Marvel's Iron Fist. The Roku is also stuck at 60p, only the Samsung 8500 will run 24p with Netflix. I have one here still but dread turning it on. slow interface, terrible remote.


Is this with your jvc or the sharp dlp? 3:2 pulldown always looks terrible on my jvc x7000 and far worse on my Optoma HD30 dlp.

I've been working abroad since I got the jvc so haven't had chance to build some useful profiles and find all the nuances, never mind HDR curves etc. If you have a profile that makes 3:2 pulldown look ok please share the relevant settings.

Home Cinema, JVC X7000,3.3m Cinemascope Beamax, Vertex.Yamaha 3050, Quad 606, Apple TV 4k, MadVR & Kodi HTPC.
Monitor Audio Silver 8, Silver C350, Silver 1's, Mass 10 for ATMOS, Minidsp 2x4HD, BK Monolith.
Lots of velvet and mineral wool.
AndreNewman is offline  
post #17873 of 19605 Old 09-18-2017, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,239
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
it doesn't look like 24p with FI turned on, it's more natural appearing and I think it looks good with fast paced content like Marvel's Iron Fist. The Roku is also stuck at 60p, only the Samsung 8500 will run 24p with Netflix. I have one here still but dread turning it on. slow interface, terrible remote.
Send me a pm if you want to get rid of it.
blee0120 is online now  
post #17874 of 19605 Old 09-19-2017, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 23,130
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2390
Quote:
Originally Posted by khactuyen View Post
Do you have another player as Pana UD900 or Oppo 2xx? Do you think PQ upscaling 4K on HTPC (GTX 1060) is better?
Thanks.
Honestly I can't tell a difference in my setup. I know Javs thinks MadVR is a bit better than the Panasonic, but I think he said they're close. And lets be clear it's not just any old scaling on the PC, it's specifically madVR, which is a bit of a pain since it's not supported by every player.
khactuyen likes this.
stanger89 is offline  
post #17875 of 19605 Old 09-19-2017, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 13,227
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5680 Post(s)
Liked: 6256
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Send me a pm if you want to get rid of it.
I'm going to fire it up one more time to take a look at Netflix HDR content with the 8500, UB900 and Roku Ultra now that I have a specific HDR series i'm familiar with. I don't see the obvious 3:2 artifacts from the UB900, it looks good on the JVC.
zombie10k is online now  
post #17876 of 19605 Old 09-19-2017, 09:48 AM
Senior Member
 
AndreNewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I'm going to fire it up one more time to take a look at Netflix HDR content with the 8500, UB900 and Roku Ultra now that I have a specific HDR series i'm familiar with. I don't see the obvious 3:2 artifacts from the UB900, it looks good on the JVC.
I'm interested to hear what you think, there are cheap ones available on ebay.
AndreNewman is offline  
post #17877 of 19605 Old 09-19-2017, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
AndreNewman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
You'd have to make your own custom EDID to test this out, but I have a feeling it wouldn't work anyways.
Most likely it wouldn't but I'd like to be surprised.

I'll most likely get a Vertex later this year so I'll try it if no-one else gets there first, it will probably be player specific like the SDR with REC2020 colour fudge.
AndreNewman is offline  
post #17878 of 19605 Old 09-19-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 5,162
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2719 Post(s)
Liked: 3157
Am I better off buying $5000 PJ every year or a 20 000 every 4 years?

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
cardoski is offline  
post #17879 of 19605 Old 09-19-2017, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,995
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8049 Post(s)
Liked: 10605
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
Am I better off buying $5000 PJ every year or a 20 000 every 4 years?
A $30,000 one every 7 years !
cardoski likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #17880 of 19605 Old 09-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Senior Member
 
khactuyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Jose, California, 95112-6147
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Send a message via Yahoo to khactuyen
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Honestly I can't tell a difference in my setup. I know Javs thinks MadVR is a bit better than the Panasonic, but I think he said they're close. And lets be clear it's not just any old scaling on the PC, it's specifically madVR, which is a bit of a pain since it's not supported by every player.
Thanks, i'm using oppo 103 with RS4910, this time to upgrade hdplayer but do not know new hdplayer will improve PQ on RS4910 and how to choice oppo203/HTPC with GTX260?
Pana UD900 can play all format file.
khactuyen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off