Projector Mini-Shootout Thread - Page 651 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4958Likes

post #19501 of 19512 Old 11-29-2019, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is it the right time to upgrade?

Hello all:

Coming to this thread after a long while, and hoping y'all had a happy Thanksgiving.

I've been on the lookout for a replacement for my Epson 6030UB - been really happy with its black level and 3D performance, but wanting to upgrade to 4K. So, have been eyeing the JVC NX-5 for a while now, given its relatively "reasonable" price vs. performance.

Was wondering if: 1) it is a substantially better performer and a worthy upgrade than the Epson, both in PQ/black levels as well as in 3D? 2) have there been substantial drops in the street prices for these, given the time on the market and any Black Friday deals? and 3) is there any news of a replacement in the next 2-3 months that would be worth holding out for?

Any responses and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited by Rokker; 11-29-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19502 of 19512 Old 11-29-2019, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 7212 Post(s)
Liked: 8624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokker View Post
Hello all:

Coming to this thread after a long while, and hoping y'all had a happy Thanksgiving.

I've been on the lookout for a replacement for my Epson 6030UB - been really happy with its black level and 3D performance, but wanting to upgrade to 4K. So, have been eyeing the JVC NX-5 for a while now, given its relatively "reasonable" price vs. performance.

Was wondering if: 1) it is a substantially better performer and a worthy upgrade than the Epson, both in PQ/black levels as well as in 3D? 2) have there been substantial drops in the street prices for these, given the time on the market and any Black Friday deals? and 3) is there any news of a replacement in the next 2-3 months that would be worth holding out for?

Cheers!
The RS1000 / NX5 is an excellent 4K projector. I've had it in my theater and it looked excellent - even compared to my RS4500. Go for it. There will be no replacement projector until this time next year at the earliest.
alebonau likes this.
post #19503 of 19512 Old 11-29-2019, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Also be sure to pick up a Panasonic UB420, UB820 or UB9000. The UB9000 has specific modes for NX projectors, but it's really expensive. The UB420/820 are otherwise excellent as well since they also have a built in HDR Optimizer.
Craig Peer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19504 of 19512 Old 11-29-2019, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 2347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Also be sure to pick up a Panasonic UB420, UB820 or UB9000. The UB9000 has specific modes for NX projectors, but it's really expensive. The UB420/820 are otherwise excellent as well since they also have a built in HDR Optimizer.
Well...with the new firmware tone mapping, you really don't use these features anymore.
alebonau likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #19505 of 19512 Old 11-30-2019, 12:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Well...with the new firmware tone mapping, you really don't use these features anymore.
So the big deal that Panasonic & JVC made over the UB9000 specific JVC/NX mode is now pointless?
post #19506 of 19512 Old 11-30-2019, 01:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
So the big deal that Panasonic & JVC made over the UB9000 specific JVC/NX mode is now pointless?
the latest update means N series dont need tone mapping by the player anymore. now its dynamic tone mapping frame by frame or scene by scene done by the projector. so hence nothing is needed from the player any more

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #19507 of 19512 Old 11-30-2019, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hello all:

Cheers!
the current epson are good budget and affordable machines. but if can afford the jvc n series definitely go for it. be no looking back can assure you. am a prior epson and jvc (previous gen) owner

post #19508 of 19512 Old 12-01-2019, 06:01 PM

Thank you all so much for your input. I think I should be ready to pull the plug on the NX-5 very soon. Need to test out the 3D performance now. Guess I'll head to a local Best Buy with a couple of 3D movies, my XPAND emitter and universal glasses - excited!
post #19509 of 19512 Old 12-01-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, already have the UB820, but as David mentioned....oh well.
post #19510 of 19512 Old 12-01-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
the current epson are good budget and affordable machines. but if can afford the jvc n series definitely go for it. be no looking back can assure you. am a prior epson and jvc (previous gen) owner
I'm sure you're right, sir. Have been interested in JVCs for a while now, but price was a little out of range, plus 3D wasn't as strong as on the Epson in previous models. Both issues are now non-issues....touch wood! ;-)

The only thing that would've made it perfect is the addition of Dolby Vision on the JVC, considering the amount of titles and 4K player(s) I own that support it. Judging by all of your comments on this forum, though, I figure that's not a major miss?

Cheers!
post #19511 of 19512 Old 12-01-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm sure you're right, sir. Have been interested in JVCs for a while now, but price was a little out of range, plus 3D wasn't as strong as on the Epson in previous models. Both issues are now non-issues....touch wood! ;-)

The only thing that would've made it perfect is the addition of Dolby Vision on the JVC, considering the amount of titles and 4K player(s) I own that support it. Judging by all of your comments on this forum, though, I figure that's not a major miss?

Cheers!
hi rokker, can assure you 3D while not upto epson in jvc x35 it took some 20 min to warm up its panels and then was good. this wasnt the case from x7000 (previous gen) jvc. I couldn't fault 3D on that and most definitely the n series continue to be very good in 3D

re dolby vision... non event... the way dynamic tone mapping works really doesnt bother me in the least projectors cant do dolby vision. the whole dolby vision thing i have a feeling is turning into a bit of a fail overall. when see how god the current gen jvc do uhd uhdr I think will know what I mean

post #19512 of 19512 Old 12-03-2019, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
... re dolby vision... non event... the way dynamic tone mapping works really doesnt bother me in the least projectors cant do dolby vision. the whole dolby vision thing i have a feeling is turning into a bit of a fail overall. when see how god the current gen jvc do uhd uhdr I think will know what I mean
I would not rule out Dolby Vision just yet. There has been interesting exploration of the Player LED Dolby Vision processing, which can be made to work with any HDR10 capable display or projector.

Sony and Dolby arrived at the DV Profile 5 Layer (DV LLDV), specifically used with Sony displays which have no internal DV processing, in which case a DV LLDV capable player will handle all of the DV processing, sending the result to the display as an DV mapped HDR10 signal with a PQ curve.

The interesting thing, is by using certain HDFury devices, the DV LLDV capable player can be spoofed into thinking it is connected to one of the Sony displays (A1 OLED), when it is actually connected to my JVC X990. The results have been a very interesting tone mapping solution for those of us who do not own a newer JVC, a Lumagen or run a configuration of MadVR.

Please follow the link in my thread for about 12 pages of discussion and examples of application of this hack.
Archibald1 likes this.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page