Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread - Page 98 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 224Likes

post #2911 of 2939 Old 11-26-2018, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 2939 Old 11-26-2018, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Oh, well in that case you’ll like the X35. I had mine for 3 years and enjoyed it. When I bough it in 2013 I also bought a Panasonic AE8000 and compared them here (cicky).

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2913 of 2939 Old 11-26-2018, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Honestly though, with 4K on Netflix, Amazon streaming and $9 4K media, its not if but when. It really comes down to price though, how much is this x35 and how much could you get the RS400/420/440 "x" equivalents for?
Curious> Where/what 4K media for $9?

I'm still seeing 4K being about 2x the cost of blu ray on the same title....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2914 of 2939 Old 11-26-2018, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Curious> Where/what 4K media for $9?

I'm still seeing 4K being about 2x the cost of blu ray on the same title....
4K Pricelist (Clicky)

New release 4K’s are usually about $5 more than Blu-ray.
post #2915 of 2939 Old 11-26-2018, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
4K Pricelist (Clicky)

New release 4K’s are usually about $5 more than Blu-ray.
Nice, thanks for the infos.

That being said, there's only a few titles on that 'lowest 4k' price list I'd consider buying---and for those, the blu ray version was still almost 1/2 off.

Also, I wouldn't consider any of them 'new releases' (except for maybe Jumanji? ---though that title is avail for $4.96 on blu disc). For new releases, I'm still seeing 4k about 2x the cost of blu ray --on average. So minim +$10 -+$15 per title.

That being said, these days I've been buying used blu rays from redbox or online sources for an average of $4-$5 each all in (including tax and/or shipping). For example, just got 'Annihilation' and 'Ready Player One' for $3.98ea all in (no tax, free ship)...used of course, but after a hundred plus used blu discs I've bought (from various sources), have yet to have a problem.

So while a $9ea 4k price would be tempting, it seems not (for me) for the possible 2 titles at that price I'd buy. Those 2 titles I could buy used for less than $4ea on blu disc too.

The mass majority of 4k titles are in that $15-$29 range---and for new titles, the latter. So taking that into consideration, the cost of adding a 4k player to my JVC RS57, and the hassle of integrating it, calibrating, making it work, etc. (albiet easy w/the mentioned panny player), compared to how cheap I get blu discs these days, makes me sit on the sidelines for a bit longer I think. Not gonna make that leap just cos I can get 2 or 3 titles for only $5 bux more than a blu disc.

But again, good to know there are some deals going for 4k media now...

Last edited by fleaman; 11-26-2018 at 07:13 PM.
post #2916 of 2939 Old 11-26-2018, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Nice, thanks for the infos.
New release Blu-ray’s are usually $20-23, 4Ks are usually $25-30. That isn’t double.

It’s all a bad approach anyway. I mean heck, you could buy a really cheap SD projector and just buy DVDs.

I rarely buy used and usually buy new on release day. For me in that scenario the extra couple bucks for 4K is worth it.

Deepwater Horizon 4K is super cheap right now, worth every penny. Ex Machina 4K is also $10 and so is Apollo 13 4K and Hell or High Water 4K. Heck, Jumanji 2 4K just popped in at $8.
post #2917 of 2939 Old 11-26-2018, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
New release Blu-ray’s are usually $20-23, 4Ks are usually $25-30. That isn’t double.
The ones I looked at weren't. I'm sure I could go back and post the links to prove it, then you could post the links of the titles proving your claim--but neither of us would be wrong, cos title costs vary between titles and formats.

That being said, when doing my quick search/research on amazon of new releases, I didn't see any $25-$30 4k's that were $20-$23 in blu's. Not saying it isn't true, it just wasn't like that on the titles I searched (and they weren't obscure titles, they were popular major releases).

Quote:
It’s all a bad approach anyway. I mean heck, you could buy a really cheap SD projector and just buy DVDs.
We all know the PQ between any SD projector w/dvd and a HD projector w/blu ray is night and day.

That is NOT the case w/blu ray to 4k. Especially when the 4k version is just the same blu ray mastering on a 4k disc

Lets not get silly here.

Also, ironically, blu and dvd disc prices are very close to each other now (new or used). In fact, when buying used discs from redbox, I sometimes see the DVD version being $1 more than the blu ray! Strange. Either way, I can't stand DVD on my JVC these days (or any other PJ).

Quote:
I rarely buy used and usually buy new on release day. For me in that scenario the extra couple bucks for 4K is worth it.

Deepwater Horizon 4K is super cheap right now, worth every penny. Ex Machina 4K is also $10 and so is Apollo 13 4K and Hell or High Water 4K. Heck, Jumanji 2 4K just popped in at $8.
Ok, well I never buy new on release day, so we are very different in that regard. Maybe on 'that day' most of your 4k titles are only $5 more than blu discs.
nwmusicman likes this.
post #2918 of 2939 Old 03-21-2019, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Unhappy

Hi

Does anyone know how image quality will be affected if i rub off the burnt ?polaroid stripes? On this sheet of glued together prisms?

Top bar is vertically polarized.
Bottom bar horizontal.
The ones in between do not show any polarisation, so im guessing som kind of anti reflex stripe/tape? (Every second prism has a "burnt tape" on the front so it's kind of striped, then there is some kind of reflex/mirror in each bond between each prism)

It was burned when putting lamp in high mode.
Reason, probably clogged fans (6000+ hours and JVC filters, i mean lack there of, showed severe dust accumulation on ALL FANS.

+ The cooler for the optic block has a filter (that is so coarse filter out flies and mosquitos but not dust), so it blows all the dirt straight through. Most of it gets caught in the centrifugal fan at intake and exhasut, the rest ends up on the mirrors...in case you wonder why your projector is do dim even with a new lamp ;-) probably a bit on the HMDs too, but looks comparingly cleans vs mirrors and insont even wannt to think if de-dusting HMDs :-)

But the burn is likely a mix of hot spot from lamp and too little cooling in this area especially as fans start to clog up.

See attached images

Thanks
Boogie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190321_170746.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	611.9 KB
ID:	2542312   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190321_170800.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	616.2 KB
ID:	2542314  

Livingroom: JVC DLA-X30 @ 4m wide curved 2.35:1 Studiotek
Marantz AV7702, Primare A30.7 + Emotiva XPA-5, Oppo BDP-93,PS-3,HTPC, Samsung digital box
JBL TiK Sub, Ti6K, Ti2K, Ti1K, XTi20, XTi10, REL Q150E
Bedroom: Pioneer KRP-500M, Denon AVR3805
QLN 603,601MK2,Wharfdale DFS

Last edited by [Europe]Boogiem; 03-21-2019 at 02:43 PM.
post #2919 of 2939 Old 03-21-2019, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Europe]Boogiem View Post
Hi

Does anyone know how image quality will be affected if i rub off the burnt ?polaroid stripes? On this sheet of glued together prisms?

Hey, I’m afraid your projector is pretty much no longer worth anything anymore. I had a similar thing happen at that spot on my x35. That prism stack takes the light and makes it parallel light rays before entering the optical block. Even after you rub off the burnt part, it will still scatter light. You’ll notice that a pure black screen is still black, but anytime there is a brighter spot in the video, it washes out all the blacks from the scattered light. It will also look severely dim and dull from the washed out image and most light being bounced or lost. Sorry man! Unless you luck out on a used optical block, the part is not available separately.
post #2920 of 2939 Old 03-21-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroweProductions View Post
Hey, I’m afraid your projector is pretty much no longer worth anything anymore. I had a similar thing happen at that spot on my x35. That prism stack takes the light and makes it parallel light rays before entering the optical block. Even after you rub off the burnt part, it will still scatter light. You’ll notice that a pure black screen is still black, but anytime there is a brighter spot in the video, it washes out all the blacks from the scattered light. It will also look severely dim and dull from the washed out image and most light being bounced or lost. Sorry man! Unless you luck out on a used optical block, the part is not available separately.
Thanks for the reply.
I actually watched a movie when this happened (started smelling burnt plastic) but there was no problem with the image from my memory?

When i found the source of the smell i turned the pj off.
So the basic question is if the burnt "plastic" that is on each prism need to be there (i.e. to not fry the HMDs).
The prisms (are glass, just checked) are still ok its just the "plastic layer" that is burnt.

Upper and lower "tape" is polarized but not the burnt ones and the ones on the bottom, so im guessing it is some kind of anti reflex layer/tape as it is pretty soft.

Light in parallel lines?
Ok, to hit the hmd's spot on?

So should i leave it burned or scrape the burnt part off? Or try to apply a new layer of whatever kind of tape that is?
Ok its crap, but what's the best bet? Did you try scraping it off?

Thanks for the reply, i saw you had this problem on the other forum :-) but thought it went ok... But :-/ obviously not

Last edited by [Europe]Boogiem; 03-21-2019 at 06:05 PM.
post #2921 of 2939 Old 03-21-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Is this burn issue a common thing on the x35? What causes it? High temperature in viewing room?

Thanks,
K.

post #2922 of 2939 Old 03-21-2019, 07:31 PM

Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread

If its just plastic, try peeling it off the glass elements. The yellow tint is a special polarizing coating that will effect the PQ if peeled off, how much I don’t know. Mine overheated and actually cracked a few bars. The bars are separate and stack together. Actually looking at your photo closer, yours is a different lens after the stack of lenses that broke on mine. You might be okay by cleaning it all off.
post #2923 of 2939 Old 03-21-2019, 07:38 PM

Yours is the integrator lens, mine broke the combiner lens. That burnt is actually the coating. The glass is likely okay. Clean it off and try again!
post #2924 of 2939 Old 03-24-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:

Yours is the integrator lens, mine broke the combiner lens. That burnt is actually the coating. The glass is likely okay. Clean it off and try again!
Thanks for the reply.
I scraped of a litte of the burnt parts and noted that those plastic bars are actually some kind of mirrors.
If i pass the glass over for example a 1 written on a paper, the parts of the lens that had intact plstic strips will create a shadow elelment, basically you will se 1 in two of the prism bars.
Where those are scraped off i will only see a single 1 as the double reflection is removed.

Anyway i just scraped of a small part and glass prisms are intact soni am crossing my fingers it will not affect image quality too much.

Marantz AV7702, Primare A30.7 + Emotiva XPA-5, Oppo BDP-93,PS-3,HTPC, Samsung digital box
post #2925 of 2939 Old 03-24-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nnis View Post
Is this burn issue a common thing on the x35? What causes it? High temperature in viewing room?

Thanks,
K.

I dont know if its common.
My room temp is normal 20-22°C and indont live on high altitude where fand should spin faster to cool.
Also no smoking enviroment and i have resealed windows in cinema room a few years ago but sure i get som dust in the room anyway from outside street and from inside of course.

Though my x35 has run 6000hours +
And the one and only filter on x35 is really useless, far too coarse meshed to filter out the fine dust that will attach on fans (and mirrors) and my 6 fans were full of dust, so i think its a combo of bad ventilation due to clogged fans and me going to high lamp mode on the PJ. Fairly new lamp though but it worked fine in high lamp mode a few months ago, so no real good idea why it decided to mess pj up now. I am not sure I want to try that lamp again though since that's the only thing that have changed fairly recent, could be some error on it. Also this lamp is a Philips and felt very bright, all previous lamps were Osrams and were from my memory not as bright.

Well, worst case i have to buy a new 4K projector and set up anamorphic lens all over and hope it works for the next PJ :-S

post #2926 of 2939 Old 03-24-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
If its just plastic, try peeling it off the glass elements. The yellow tint is a special polarizing coating that will effect the PQ if peeled off, how much I don’t know. Mine overheated and actually cracked a few bars. The bars are separate and stack together. Actually looking at your photo closer, yours is a different lens after the stack of lenses that broke on mine. You might be okay by cleaning it all off.
I sceaped of as little as possible and there are burns in between the staffs (the glue likely) that i cant remove unless i split tje staffs and rebond them.

Here is what i mean with the tape "doubling the number 1" you see in the background.
I write 1 1 and then put glass over. The part with tape doubles, the part with no tape (scrapes off) does not.

Seems like it doubles the light rays out vs rays coming in. The nr 1 are not as sharp so its likely lowering the output power in each point and im a bit afraid its to save those LCOS chips or the mirrors coming after.

Also a close up of the "tape" (or coating...seems like its a mirror on the "tape side" and they only let through 50% of the light though the tape, the rest is reflected back somehow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	inCollage_20190324_143205920-1440x1920.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	2543548   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190324_142844-1440x2962.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	476.8 KB
ID:	2543550  

Last edited by [Europe]Boogiem; 03-24-2019 at 06:44 AM.
post #2927 of 2939 Old 03-24-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:

I think mine is the polarizer combiner? But all prisms are in the same direction unlike the image where they are angled toward the middle?

This was the only glass i could remove without spkitting the optical block, the two other "bubbly" plastic looking lenses were before this one.

After this one there should be the coooured mirrors

post #2928 of 2939 Old 05-20-2019, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Guys,

Just bought an X35 second hand and installed it today. Looks great!

Just a question though regarding the setup. I have a 110in diagonal 2.35:1 screen. It is 550mm from the ceiling. The top of the (or bottom since its upside down!) projector is 550mm from the ceiling so the lens is slightly further down. I am seeing a slight keystone on the edges (when using the lens setup grid) when I have it set to 2.35:1 width; which with my projector location is almost fully zoomed. I just want to know if that is to be expected given I am not projecting into the centre of the screen or should I be able to get rid of it somehow by adjustments?

Thanks!
k3nnis likes this.
post #2929 of 2939 Old 05-24-2019, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I am building my first dedicated HT room in 8 years and my first with a projector. I'm trying to do this on a budget and ran across a JVC - RS-46U for a steal on Craigslist and bought it. He had just upgraded to a Sony 4K projector and the Best Buy Magnolia guy who installed him told him it was worth $200. It has about 200h on the current bulb and came with the old bulb (probably garbage with 3000h on it) and a brand new bulb. He had swapped the bulb out but couldn't get it to stop showing the bulb needs replacement notice that comes up on the screen every time you started it. A quick look in the menu and I tried the bulb hour reset and presto the warning is gone. I'm still a month or two from being able to mount the projector and have a question for my screen:

If I get a 158" 2.35:1 screen (1.1g) will this projector let me watch cinema scope content at that size and keep the screen height constant (~61") when it shows 16:9 content (or 1.85:1 content) without an add on lens or accessories? I think I read that it will, but want to be sure before I order my screen.

Will this projector have enough light output for that screen in a room with decent light control (no windows, dark walls, etc)? The projector can be as far back as ~16.5' from the screen.

I'm excited about finding a LCOS JVC projector as I'm a little bit of a black level snob (came from CRT and Plasma) and didn't think I'd be able to afford one.

Thank you for your help!

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #2930 of 2939 Old 05-24-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5376 Post(s)
Liked: 5710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
I am building my first dedicated HT room in 8 years and my first with a projector. I'm trying to do this on a budget and ran across a JVC - RS-46U for a steal on Craigslist and bought it. He had just upgraded to a Sony 4K projector and the Best Buy Magnolia guy who installed him told him it was worth $200. It has about 200h on the current bulb and came with the old bulb (probably garbage with 3000h on it) and a brand new bulb. He had swapped the bulb out but couldn't get it to stop showing the bulb needs replacement notice that comes up on the screen every time you started it. A quick look in the menu and I tried the bulb hour reset and presto the warning is gone. I'm still a month or two from being able to mount the projector and have a question for my screen:

If I get a 158" 2.35:1 screen (1.1g) will this projector let me watch cinema scope content at that size and keep the screen height constant (~61") when it shows 16:9 content (or 1.85:1 content) without an add on lens or accessories? I think I read that it will, but want to be sure before I order my screen.

Will this projector have enough light output for that screen in a room with decent light control (no windows, dark walls, etc)? The projector can be as far back as ~16.5' from the screen.

I'm excited about finding a LCOS JVC projector as I'm a little bit of a black level snob (came from CRT and Plasma) and didn't think I'd be able to afford one.

Thank you for your help!
Hi, that is a great deal, I still have my RS46 here. These are still very good projector with a few caveats, mainly light output. Even in high lamp, you are likely going to have an issue lighting up a screen that large. Do you have a large white wall to test it for a frame of reference? This is one area JVC improved greatly with newer models. For example the 2015+ series projectors are brighter in low lamp than the RS46 can handle in high lamp.

The RS46 has lens memory and you can program it to zoom between 2:35:1 and 16:9. Here is some info that explain how it works:

http://www.usjvc.com/faq/index.php?a...278&artlang=en
post #2931 of 2939 Old 05-24-2019, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Hi, that is a great deal, I still have my RS46 here. These are still very good projector with a few caveats, mainly light output. Even in high lamp, you are likely going to have an issue lighting up a screen that large. Do you have a large white wall to test it for a frame of reference? This is one area JVC improved greatly with newer models. For example the 2015+ series projectors are brighter in low lamp than the RS46 can handle in high lamp.

The RS46 has lens memory and you can program it to zoom between 2:35:1 and 16:9. Here is some info that explain how it works:

http://www.usjvc.com/faq/index.php?a...278&artlang=en

Thank you! I don't know if I have a white wall, but I have some off-white curtains I could put up there and see what it looks like. Projector Screen's calculator put it at 22.9 Foot Lamberts at that screen size which it said was good for a dark room (and just under the cutoff for "low ambient light). Of course you have lived with the projector and have real world experience with it.
post #2932 of 2939 Old 05-31-2019, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

OK, I 'm waiting on my projector mount to try the projector on a white sheet, but I am still trying to figure out what size Silver Ticket Acoustically Transparent screen is going to work well. It appears that I am getting some contradictory information between Projector Central and Projectorscreen.com.

The way I understand it, since the JVC is natively 16:9, in order to get a full image on a 2.35:1 142" screen the projector would be emitting the same light as a 150" 16:9 image. Projector Central seems to show that this projector won't put out enough light, but Projectorscreen.com show's I will be OK?

I'm currently trying to decide between a 142" 2.35:1 screen or a 135" 16:9.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Projector Central 150.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	2574384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Project Screen 150.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	2574386  

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #2933 of 2939 Old 06-02-2019, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
OK, I 'm waiting on my projector mount to try the projector on a white sheet, but I am still trying to figure out what size Silver Ticket Acoustically Transparent screen is going to work well. It appears that I am getting some contradictory information between Projector Central and Projectorscreen.com.

The way I understand it, since the JVC is natively 16:9, in order to get a full image on a 2.35:1 142" screen the projector would be emitting the same light as a 150" 16:9 image. Projector Central seems to show that this projector won't put out enough light, but Projectorscreen.com show's I will be OK?

I'm currently trying to decide between a 142" 2.35:1 screen or a 135" 16:9.
I have room with no windows, black ceiling, dark blue walls, screen wall is black, with full light control. My screen is a 138" 2.35 size and it does just fine. I'm sure it can go a bit bigger and not be much of a problem so long as your projector can actually hit it with where your projector is mounted.
post #2934 of 2939 Old 06-02-2019, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaddog View Post
I have room with no windows, black ceiling, dark blue walls, screen wall is black, with full light control. My screen is a 138" 2.35 size and it does just fine. I'm sure it can go a bit bigger and not be much of a problem so long as your projector can actually hit it with where your projector is mounted.

Thank you rmaddog. I will have a similar room with black ceiling, gray walls, and a blacked out (velvet) screen wall and have light control (and no windows). I think I'll go with the 142" screen then.
post #2935 of 2939 Old 06-24-2019, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 21
3D glasses for children

Does anyone know of any child size 3D glasses compatible with these projectors?
post #2936 of 2939 Old 06-28-2019, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
image does not fit screen

I suspect I accidentally pushed a button(s) on the remote of my JVC DLA-RS46 and now the screen image is elongated vertically. Subtitles are off the bottom of the screen, and the OPPO Home screen DVD icon that used to be a square is now a rectangle (taller than wide).
I also noticed that my OPPO resolution options no longer includes "Native". I have tried many of the OPPO and the JVC settings.
Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Richard, Santa Cruz, CA
post #2937 of 2939 Old 09-04-2019, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

I have now installed my new (to me) JVC DLA-RS46 and 142" 2:35:1 screen. I have a lot of tweaking to do including figuring out how to set up the zoom and lens memory and hoping I can get that all programed into my Harmony Ultimate.

This is my first projector so I'm sure I'll be asking some questions during setup. Does anyone have a recomendation on the best place to start picture quality tweaking? Do most people start with "Film" or "Cinima" or do something completely custom?

I attached a couple of pictures. The room's not done obviously, but last night was the first time I got the screen on the wall and power to the projector.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	projector.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	652.0 KB
ID:	2610968   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	544.3 KB
ID:	2610970  

post #2938 of 2939 Old 09-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
I have now installed my new (to me) JVC DLA-RS46 and 142" 2:35:1 screen. I have a lot of tweaking to do including figuring out how to set up the zoom and lens memory and hoping I can get that all programed into my Harmony Ultimate.

This is my first projector so I'm sure I'll be asking some questions during setup. Does anyone have a recommendation on the best place to start picture quality tweaking? Do most people start with "Film" or "Cinima" or do something completely custom?

I attached a couple of pictures. The room's not done obviously, but last night was the first time I got the screen on the wall and power to the projector.

Thank you
Exciting times!

I used a 46U for several years and really liked it. Very reliable and trouble free. It's not going to be as bright as a newer unit, but in a 'bat cave' theater you'll be OK. I used a Silver Ticket AT 120" 16:9 screen and was happy with the pic quality. You will need to zoom it up a good bit larger than mine, thus less light per sq. foot. I found 120" 16:9 to display 2.35 material with no issues, and had no complaints about the picture size in a pretty large room. I watch a lot of HDTV, so the 16:9 screen size worked fine for me, but I did a lot of research before deciding on 16:9 and 120" with this PJ. YMMV... remember, you are trading screen size for brightness.

I'd also expect that you will have some issues with lens memory consistency if you are going to use it for 2:35 instead of an anamorphic lens. You'll likely have to tweak the settings a little each time, and set up masking to avoid overscan of the 'not-quite-black' areas above the picture.

You'll also find that bulbs matter. I'd suggest only using OEM, 'real JVC' bulbs, and change them at around 1,000 hours. I always shopped around and kept a spare. (I think I may still have one new in the box....hello Classifieds.)

Make sure you use the backing cloth behind the screen, too.

All that said, I think you will enjoy the 46. I upgraded to a RS520, and there is a noticable difference in brightness, contrast and sharpness, but the 46 is a great PJ... and you got a great deal.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #2939 of 2939 Old 09-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you rtart. I haven't put the black cloth behind the screen yet, the owners manual says to just tape it on, so I guess I'll just get some black duct tape and just tape it around the exterior of the frame. My goal would be to use this projector for a year or two and then pick up a used 790 as owners begin to upgrade.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector , Panasonic Viera Ty Er3d4mu Active Shutter 3d Eyewear , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page