All 5020/6020 Owners, Please Help! Please answer this Poll in an attempt to get a response from Epson. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: How is the quality of your 5020/6020?
6020 owners only (5020 owners please skip to the 5020 section): My 6020 is just fine, no complaints. 12 8.28%
6020: I have exchanged my 6020 at least once. 6 4.14%
6020: I returned my 6020 due to defects. 1 0.69%
My 6020 had/has bad convergence. 8 5.52%
My 6020 had/has bad flare. 3 2.07%
My 6020 had/has bad CA. 3 2.07%
My 6020 had/has bad focus uniformity. 5 3.45%
My 6020 had/has bad white field uniformity 3 2.07%
My 6020 can not focus all three primary colors simultaneously. 3 2.07%
5020 owners only (6020 owners you're done.): My 5020 is just fine, no complaints. 15 10.34%
5020: I have exchanged my 6020 at least once. 13 8.97%
5020: I returned my 6020 due to defects. 6 4.14%
My 5020 had/has bad convergence. 27 18.62%
My 5020 had/has bad flare. 8 5.52%
My 5020 had/has bad CA. 4 2.76%
My 5020 had/has bad focus uniformity. 11 7.59%
My 5020 had/has bad white field uniformity 11 7.59%
My 5020 can not focus all three primary colors simultaneously. 7 4.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 76 Old 12-24-2012, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I played Batman the other day & movie was great but once I fired up you tube the the pink hue was very noticeable on only left side of the screen. I am thinking to return but if I call Epson would they send me a brand new one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 76 Old 12-24-2012, 04:34 PM

Liked: 11
[quote name="rpoulos"

So hey, it only took 3 projectors to get it right. amazing.[/quote]

That last one is the best convergence on an Epson I've seen. Live with the little pink - it will soon able to be ignored. Most of them also seem to have varying degrees of white field uniformity issues. I only wish mine had that convergence!
post #33 of 76 Old 12-25-2012, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jackson View Post

I played Batman the other day & movie was great but once I fired up you tube the the pink hue was very noticeable on only left side of the screen. I am thinking to return but if I call Epson would they send me a brand new one?

Depends how long you've had it. Ask for a new one instead of a refurb. If they say no, tell them you'll return it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 76 Old 12-28-2012, 04:47 AM

first pics from my 9100w/6020. How is it?

My not trained eyes tell me:
- White field uniformity looks OK.
- red/blue were offset (corrected with panel alignment).
- In text image, green text lacks some green dots. Why?!
- 2D and 3D looks OK from sitting distance (~6 m)
- PJ does not automatically detects 3D format. I've to force it. Why!?

Config: MED600x3D -> 1m HDMI cable -> monoprice 4x2 true matrix HS HDMI switch -> 30ft monoprice slim HS redmere HDMI cable -> Darbee -> 1m HDMI cable -> 9100W. Any ideas?

Cheers.

post #35 of 76 Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 AM

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.. I would start by watching a few movies and see how beautifully defined and satisfactory the picture is from your viewing point... Personally I've demo'ed various 5020/6020 projectors with either ok or pretty bad convergence but in a blind test, as hard as I tried, I could not tell the difference between those projectors when watching a movie... rolleyes.gif
post #36 of 76 Old 12-28-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's hard to tell from the pictures... How well focused is your projector? It's pretty darn difficult to get it right without some kind of aid. I use a camera with 36x optical zoom. If you don't have something to help you, you have to put the PJ out of focus. Now start focusing the PJ, moving the focus ring like 2mm at a time. Move it 2mm, check your focus at the screen. Move it another 2mm, run to the screen and check it again. Get as much of the screen in focus as possible. You can use the focus pattern on the remote, or use the pattern in your pics, the one with the Red, Green Blue lines. Your convergence looks good. You seem to have a bit of flare, and at least the blue pixels seem to be out of focus. Also, it could be just the pic, but it looks to me like the right side of your screen has a pink tint?

First, verify your focus is as good as you can get. THEN check convergence, Do the focus with convergence adjustment off. If your pixels are out of convergence by more than 1 pixel, I'd return your PJ. If they're within 1 pixel you can use the adjustment. Bear in mind that Epson considers 1.5 pixels good enough. mad.gif Then check flare. You are going to have minor issues. What you don't want is issues that are visible from your seated position. A pink hue to one side of the screen is bad. Convergence issues that you can see on the menus or patterns from your seat are bad. Enough flare to make text look fuzzy is bad.

There's nothing "bad" about LCD technology, but it does have limitations. Pixel fill is worse than on the Sony HW50. If you sit closer than 1.1 x Screen width, I think you'll want to go Sony or a DLP. If you sit at 1.1 x Screen width or greater, The minor pixel limitations of LCD should not be visible. Don't expect that LCD PJs will be perfect at the pixel level. DO expect that these limitations should not be visible from your seat. If they are, and you're 1.1 x screen width or better away from the screen, your PJ has a problem that needs fixing.
post #37 of 76 Old 12-28-2012, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirnak View Post

It's hard to tell from the pictures... How well focused is your projector? It's pretty darn difficult to get it right without some kind of aid. I use a camera with 36x optical zoom. If you don't have something to help you, you have to put the PJ out of focus. Now start focusing the PJ, moving the focus ring like 2mm at a time. Move it 2mm, check your focus at the screen. Move it another 2mm, run to the screen and check it again. Get as much of the screen in focus as possible. You can use the focus pattern on the remote, or use the pattern in your pics, the one with the Red, Green Blue lines. Your convergence looks good. You seem to have a bit of flare, and at least the blue pixels seem to be out of focus. Also, it could be just the pic, but it looks to me like the right side of your screen has a pink tint?
First, verify your focus is as good as you can get. THEN check convergence, Do the focus with convergence adjustment off. If your pixels are out of convergence by more than 1 pixel, I'd return your PJ. If they're within 1 pixel you can use the adjustment. Bear in mind that Epson considers 1.5 pixels good enough. mad.gif Then check flare. You are going to have minor issues. What you don't want is issues that are visible from your seated position. A pink hue to one side of the screen is bad. Convergence issues that you can see on the menus or patterns from your seat are bad. Enough flare to make text look fuzzy is bad.
There's nothing "bad" about LCD technology, but it does have limitations. Pixel fill is worse than on the Sony HW50. If you sit closer than 1.1 x Screen width, I think you'll want to go Sony or a DLP. If you sit at 1.1 x Screen width or greater, The minor pixel limitations of LCD should not be visible. Don't expect that LCD PJs will be perfect at the pixel level. DO expect that these limitations should not be visible from your seat. If they are, and you're 1.1 x screen width or better away from the screen, your PJ has a problem that needs fixing.

from 4,5 -5 meters do we face a problem about that convergence problems
post #38 of 76 Old 12-28-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post

from 4,5 -5 meters do we face a problem about that convergence problems

It depends how big your screen is, and how bad your convergence problem is.
post #39 of 76 Old 12-29-2012, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

It depends how big your screen is, and how bad your convergence problem is.

135inches diagonal, lets imagine its not very bad and lets imagine its bad, result? thank you
post #40 of 76 Old 12-29-2012, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post

135inches diagonal, lets imagine its not very bad and lets imagine its bad, result? thank you

Well, if it's not very bad you wouldn't notice anything. If it was very bad you'd see that colors didn't line up correctly, the image would be screwed up.
post #41 of 76 Old 12-29-2012, 05:57 AM

@Kirnak - Thanks for the hints.

I'll get focus checked and convergence adjusted tonight.
Pink tilt at right side of screen will be checked as well. May be related with a light source at right side. I'll have it off during tests.

What's a acceptable convergence adjustment? <1,5 pixel... but what's that in terms of panel adjustment values?
I'll double check tonight but i believe panel adjustments were +/- the following:
Red UL H: -10 V:-4; DL H-10 V:4; UR H:0 V:-4, DR DR H:0 V:-4.
Blue same adjustment as red.

I also noticed some lack of green color in pic 3 (white/green text pic). Is this a problem!?

Thx.
post #42 of 76 Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That's weird. Make sure that nothing is adjusting the picture. All enhancements in the PJ off. If you're going through a receiver, connect your source directly to your PJ. Make sure your source is set to 1080P output. If you are still missing color, something is wrong in that spot. Do the RGB lines go through that spot? If you put up a white field, are those same pixels Magenta? or off in some other way? Put a piece of tape on the screen to mark that spot. If you use the blue painters tape for delicate surfaces it shouldn't leave a residue. Don't leave it on long just long enough for the test.
post #43 of 76 Old 12-29-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jackson View Post

Pink tint on left side of screen :-(....

I bought a 9500 back in 2010 and it had the same problem as yours with pink and the ever so slight green, which you didn't mention.

I traded it for a brand new one and a short time later, it showed the same thing, but not as pronounced.

It seems that Epson has a problem with this since their 8500, I wonder why they can't fix it?

...finally retired and spending time in my dedicated HT!!!

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 region free; 7.2.4. w/Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split.
post #44 of 76 Old 12-29-2012, 11:05 PM

projector newbie here with the 5020ub, at what point should lamp hours start showing up in the info section? i assume right away, but for me it has stayed at 0 hours despite between 3-6 hours of viewing over a couple of weeks
and would this be too big of an issue? besides of course making lamp replacement timing be off
post #45 of 76 Old 12-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni2kz View Post

projector newbie here with the 5020ub, at what point should lamp hours start showing up in the info section? i assume right away, but for me it has stayed at 0 hours despite between 3-6 hours of viewing over a couple of weeks
and would this be too big of an issue? besides of course making lamp replacement timing be off

I would have thought that you would have recorded some hours by now. Is it possible that someone RESET one of the menu options?

Cheers!
-- Bill --
post #46 of 76 Old 12-30-2012, 03:53 AM

@jabroni2kz - My 9100w/6020 started showing lamp hours only after ~12h (if I remember correctly)
post #47 of 76 Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 AM

Hi everybody, I will be a new owner of a 5020UBe in the next two weeks. I'll keep everyone informed of what I find. These are the first reviews I've read that are negative as far as convergence is concerned. I'm hoping that this projector beats my Sanyo PLV-Z4 with sharpness and brightness and contrast. Doesn't the 5020 have a convergence adjustment? I've never had this problem with my current projector. Will keep reading your posts.
post #48 of 76 Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by depalmat View Post

Hi everybody, I will be a new owner of a 5020UBe in the next two weeks. I'll keep everyone informed of what I find. These are the first reviews I've read that are negative as far as convergence is concerned. I'm hoping that this projector beats my Sanyo PLV-Z4 with sharpness and brightness and contrast. Doesn't the 5020 have a convergence adjustment? I've never had this problem with my current projector. Will keep reading your posts.

Your first post - welcome to the forum!

Cheers!
-- Bill --
post #49 of 76 Old 12-30-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Epson PJs show "0" under lamp hours until you have 10+ hours on the bulb. Then they show the actual hours. So, at 9 hours you'll see "0", at 11 hours you'll see "11".
Quote:
Originally Posted by depalmat View Post

Minor convergence errors can be corrected with the adjustment. Large convergence errors can be corrected, but that correction will lead to other problems like poor white field uniformity.
post #50 of 76 Old 12-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

The Epson PJs show "0" under lamp hours until you have 10+ hours on the bulb. Then they show the actual hours. So, at 9 hours you'll see "0", at 11 hours you'll see "11".
Minor convergence errors can be corrected with the adjustment. Large convergence errors can be corrected, but that correction will lead to other problems like poor white field uniformity.

When you said minor convergence errors can be corrected, is it meant the actual LCD panels can be moved to ensure correct convergence, like Sony, Thanks!
post #51 of 76 Old 12-30-2012, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That's a good question actually! The Espon website says it' "motorized", all the reviews say it's electronic. I've not seen anything definitive that convinces me one way or the other.
post #52 of 76 Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 AM

I believe it's electronic.

My convergence is off by quite a bit. Even after the LCD alignment is performed I have looked into the lens (not directly, but at an angle) while the projector turned on and can still see the outline of the panels not lined up correctly - as if they didn't physically move.

After comparing the two I can tell it didn't move because the misaligned pattern is exactly same as it's misaligned uncorrected projected image.
post #53 of 76 Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Depends how long you've had it. Ask for a new one instead of a refurb. If they say no, tell them you'll return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post

I bought a 9500 back in 2010 and it had the same problem as yours with pink and the ever so slight green, which you didn't mention.
I traded it for a brand new one and a short time later, it showed the same thing, but not as pronounced.
It seems that Epson has a problem with this since their 8500, I wonder why they can't fix it?

Well guess what, the other day I turned on the projector & the pink tint is gone! There is still very light hue in the middle but its not noticeable in the movie. I watched shooter with my pops the other day & there was no hue of pink in the snow covered peaks. I picked up Prometheus 3d today from best buy today & will try the 3d. Anybody been able to play 3d movies from your laptop? I have movies that are side by side 1080p but not sure how to play it using the stereoscopic player. Not to derail the topic but can somebody recommend a screen for a basement 150 inches diag & hdmi cables 1.4a 25 feet?

Thanks!
post #54 of 76 Old 12-31-2012, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just got my 5020 UB a few weeks ago and I noticed that during power up the is a huge shift to green, which clears up after it warms up. Is anyone else seeing this? Also, I noticed that in LCD alignment it is nearly impossible to get the edges to converge to white, most of the time they go green. (Looks like red and blue go out of frame when trying to align them.)
post #55 of 76 Old 01-04-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iklier View Post

I just got my 5020 UB a few weeks ago and I noticed that during power up the is a huge shift to green, which clears up after it warms up. Is anyone else seeing this? Also, I noticed that in LCD alignment it is nearly impossible to get the edges to converge to white, most of the time they go green. (Looks like red and blue go out of frame when trying to align them.)

As far as the green tint when warming up, I've seen a number of Epsons do that, it doesn't seem to affect anything. OTOH, Epson did replace an 8700UB I had when I told them of it... ?

On the green edge, put up a white field and check the edge. If everything's normal there, I wouldn't worry about it. If you have a green row of pixels with a white field, then you have some kind of problem.
post #56 of 76 Old 01-04-2013, 12:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by iklier View Post

I just got my 5020 UB a few weeks ago and I noticed that during power up the is a huge shift to green, which clears up after it warms up. Is anyone else seeing this?.)

Entirely normal only happens on startup.
post #57 of 76 Old 01-04-2013, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the welcome!
post #58 of 76 Old 01-11-2013, 03:16 PM

(Crosspost from Main Thread)

Well, this is my second 5020ub:

Using the "electronic alignment" to fix it looks terrible (to my taste). Lots of filter ringing where they've tried to use DSP to do sub-pixel shifting.

My first 5020ub had comparable convergence issues AND bad white field uniformity (magenta/green splotching). My vendor (VA) has been great so far helping me swap these out, but I think I may start yelling directly at Epson to stop wasting their time. As I have discovered in this thread it's clearly a factory tolerance problem.

Are my expectations for convergence really too high for a $2.5-3k product? mad.gif

This space intentionally left blank.
post #59 of 76 Old 01-11-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Somethings not right there. If the red and green are separated by that much, there should be overlap at the other end of the row? Your lens looks good though. All three colors are in focus. I have yet to find one that can do that...
post #60 of 76 Old 01-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

doesn't start counting until it reaches 10 hours i think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page