ATTENTION: MAGENTA (or any colored) STRIPE DEFECT ON THEIR JVC PROJECTOR - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #241 of 258 Old 01-24-2018, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckMountain View Post
No worries, thanks for replying.

The photo was taken with a camera phone so not completely convinced by the colours or white balance but I don't appear to have any other photos of it. If somebody had asked me to describe I would have probably described as magenta which is purplish\red and inline with what others have said.

Having taken it completely to pieces to understand the light path, as far as I know these mirrors are the only adjustable element in the light path. They are fixed in place by a hard setting glue and only require less than a millimetre of adjustment to make a stripe appear on the edge of the picture. Having broken the glue you can make the stripe any width from 0 to ~10% of the screen and you can get it to appear on two edges (side\top). The colour and position depend on which mirror it is.

I can't say every fault is caused by this but I am pretty confident this will fix it a stripe issue. Its not for the fainthearted though!

What I did notice is that was a hairline crack in the plastic around near the incoming light path, not sure how this was caused (original owner did clean it) and whether this was what caused the shift.

The glue was not broken in my case and do not how sensitive the glue is to temperature which could be the cause of it getting worse over time.

Again a sharp knock might cause the issue too.
I see. Well, all the speculations I've read about this being caused by D-ILA or polarizer degradation didn't quite seem to make sense for two reasons: the first is that the strip is too straight and defined whereas polarizer or panel degradation usually cause faint cloud-like hues not necessarily located on the sides; the second is that many of the pink line problems identified on these JVC models happened way sooner than most LCD-based chips would take to become degraded. So, the glue problem caused by heat would make much more sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 258 Old 01-24-2018, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
I see. Well, all the speculations I've read about this being caused by D-ILA or polarizer degradation didn't quite seem to make sense for two reasons: the first is that the strip is too straight and defined whereas polarizer or panel degradation usually cause faint cloud-like hues not necessarily located on the sides; the second is that many of the pink line problems identified on these JVC models happened way sooner than most LCD-based chips would take to become degraded. So, the glue problem caused by heat would make much more sense.
Yep to add there was no degradation on any of the mirrors or polarises that was observable anyway. Dirty, yes and after a good clean and reassembly the problem persisted until the mirror alignment was sorted.

Also as you say it wouldn't be degradation either with a straight line unless an entire pixel line array had failed. If you look "through" the magenta colour you can still see the pictures and colours are defined below it. Its effectively the over spill of light like a reverse shadow and that wouldn't be cause by a fault in the reflective ILA chip.
descalabro likes this.
post #243 of 258 Old 01-27-2018, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2800 Post(s)
Liked: 2717
Folks,

My friend is using my older JVC RS57 projector and he's now seeing a magenta picture on two of his sources. It's not a stripe, but the whole picture is magenta.
I believe one source is an HTPC and the other a Kodi that show the magenta problem.

His Blu-Ray player, however, DOES NOT show any magenta problem.

All being switched through his AV receiver.

Plugging the Kodi etc directly into the projector via the same HDMI connector as the Blu Ray shows magenta, but again, no problem from the Blu-Ray player.

Any suggestions?

This doesn't sound like the magenta problem detailed in this thread does it? I understand the "magenta stripe" problem affects all signals?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 258 Old 01-27-2018, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Folks,

My friend is using my older JVC RS57 projector and he's now seeing a magenta picture on two of his sources. It's not a stripe, but the whole picture is magenta.
I believe one source is an HTPC and the other a Kodi that show the magenta problem.

His Blu-Ray player, however, DOES NOT show any magenta problem.

All being switched through his AV receiver.

Plugging the Kodi etc directly into the projector via the same HDMI connector as the Blu Ray shows magenta, but again, no problem from the Blu-Ray player.

Any suggestions?

This doesn't sound like the magenta problem detailed in this thread does it? I understand the "magenta stripe" problem affects all signals?

Thanks.
That’s probably more of a case of an incorrect video signal setting. Set everything to default in the picture settings, colour space, etc. Anything that can be set to Auto set it there.
post #245 of 258 Old 01-27-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillho View Post
That’s probably more of a case of an incorrect video signal setting. Set everything to default in the picture settings, colour space, etc. Anything that can be set to Auto set it there.
Thanks for the reply. My friend found upon his own troubleshooting that altering the color space settings in the projector restored a proper picture for the HTPC, though it screwed up the signal for the Blu-Ray. I'm not great at all that stuff so at a loss to say what to do next, but it seems the logical end point is you'd want the projector on "auto" or something while setting your digital sources for the correct color space outputs. I don't know what those would be, though, for each of his sources. Nor why this problem suddenly arose anyway, given he hadn't changed any settings in the first place.
post #246 of 258 Old 01-30-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Thanks for the reply. My friend found upon his own troubleshooting that altering the color space settings in the projector restored a proper picture for the HTPC, though it screwed up the signal for the Blu-Ray. I'm not great at all that stuff so at a loss to say what to do next, but it seems the logical end point is you'd want the projector on "auto" or something while setting your digital sources for the correct color space outputs. I don't know what those would be, though, for each of his sources. Nor why this problem suddenly arose anyway, given he hadn't changed any settings in the first place.
FWIW:

In the end, rebooting the projector - turning it off, unplugging, starting up - made everything work again.
post #247 of 258 Old 02-11-2018, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have an ANTHEM LTX-500V projector that has developed the pink vertical line of death (see iPhone photo). The chassis of the ANTHEM is from JVC according to ANTHEM. I called technical support at ANTHEM who recommended changing sources which I did to a Blu-RayDVD and the line was still visible. ANTHEM tech said be prepared from a high cost repair. I tried the hair dryer fix from this forum and that didn’t work. I can mask the line out almost completely with 2.5% and entirely with 5.0%. I chose to ZOOM in the lens until the pink vertical line was off screen and plan to live with it this way until the end of the projector’s useful full life or until the pink line becomes unmanageable.

1. Purchased the unit in 2011 and entered into service during the summer of 2011.
2. OEM lamp lasted about 2000 hrs and progressively grew dimmer.
3. Replaced OEM lamp in 2016 with a Diamond lamp containing a Phillips bulb for about $130 from Projector Lamp Genie. It had 800 hrs use when the pink line developed.
4. Unit is ceiling mounted.
5. Room temperature is usually between 65 to 70 degrees F.
6. Projector is usually operated for periods of between 2 - 4 hrs.

If anyone knows for something else to try to cure the problem it would be much appreciated.

When the time comes to replace the unit what would anyone recommend in the JVC line assuming they have fixed the pink link problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-SDYHKt9F0XTq9RjzNZrpBRZuj6S5bkpTNgNPhHbleA=w536-h402-p-k-nu-iv2.png
Views:	81
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	2359332  
post #248 of 258 Old 02-11-2018, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6961 Post(s)
Liked: 8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brbiotech View Post
I have an ANTHEM LTX-500V projector that has developed the pink vertical line of death (see iPhone photo). The chassis of the ANTHEM is from JVC according to ANTHEM. I called technical support at ANTHEM who recommended changing sources which I did to a Blu-RayDVD and the line was still visible. ANTHEM tech said be prepared from a high cost repair. I tried the hair dryer fix from this forum and that didn’t work. I can mask the line out almost completely with 2.5% and entirely with 5.0%. I chose to ZOOM in the lens until the pink vertical line was off screen and plan to live with it this way until the end of the projector’s useful full life or until the pink line becomes unmanageable.

1. Purchased the unit in 2011 and entered into service during the summer of 2011.
2. OEM lamp lasted about 2000 hrs and progressively grew dimmer.
3. Replaced OEM lamp in 2016 with a Diamond lamp containing a Phillips bulb for about $130 from Projector Lamp Genie. It had 800 hrs use when the pink line developed.
4. Unit is ceiling mounted.
5. Room temperature is usually between 65 to 70 degrees F.
6. Projector is usually operated for periods of between 2 - 4 hrs.

If anyone knows for something else to try to cure the problem it would be much appreciated.

When the time comes to replace the unit what would anyone recommend in the JVC line assuming they have fixed the pink link problem.
It's an optical block failure. This problem seems to have been corrected after the RS20, as far as I can tell. There is no way to fix it unfortunately - other than getting a new projector.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #249 of 258 Old 02-11-2018, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks Craig and appreciate the heads-up of when the fix was in.
post #250 of 258 Old 05-08-2018, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Magenta line - how long does it last?

JVC RS 25 with about 2200 hours on it, developed a magenta line. Zoomed picture in a bit, and got rid of line. At 3000 hours replaced lamp with an OEM lamp, then the magenta line was present again, and a bit wider. Zoomed/shifted picture a bit to get rid of again. Since the rest of the picture looks good, will just see how long this lasts. Didn't take the cover off to look at the mirrors, but the area for the lamp was clean. Always run lamp at normal power, in a room around 68 degrees yea round
post #251 of 258 Old 05-08-2018, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Talk to your local JVC service. It is a common problem and they developed a fix for that. At least here in Poland. The fix costs around 150 euro.

Macmini | minidsp nanoAVR HDA | MSB-MVC- 1 | Cinepro 2k6 | Gedlee Abbey 12c + 4 Aurasound ns10-794-4a subs + 2 JBL W12Gti subs
Macmini | Hdfury Integral | eecolor box | HDfury Vertex | Ruipro 10m HDMI | JVC RS400 | Stewart Studiotek 130 screen
post #252 of 258 Old 05-08-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
It's an optical block failure. This problem seems to have been corrected after the RS20, as far as I can tell. There is no way to fix it unfortunately - other than getting a new projector.
Yes there is but it involves realigning the mirrors, which is not for the feint hearted. At best it will cure it completely, at worst you break the mirrors and your projector is broken.

The optical unit is one replacement part with no serviceable parts available from JVC.
post #253 of 258 Old 05-08-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lic265 View Post
JVC RS 25 with about 2200 hours on it, developed a magenta line. Zoomed picture in a bit, and got rid of line. At 3000 hours replaced lamp with an OEM lamp, then the magenta line was present again, and a bit wider. Zoomed/shifted picture a bit to get rid of again. Since the rest of the picture looks good, will just see how long this lasts. Didn't take the cover off to look at the mirrors, but the area for the lamp was clean. Always run lamp at normal power, in a room around 68 degrees yea round
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziemian View Post
Talk to your local JVC service. It is a common problem and they developed a fix for that. At least here in Poland. The fix costs around 150 euro.
Yep I think they do a similar repair to what I did

in post #231

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post54940100
post #254 of 258 Old 01-02-2019, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey,

Wanted to provide some input on the fix from NCCouchTater and ChuckMountain. Thanks to both of you for providing some instructions on this!
I have been looking into this since NCCouchTater first posted back in 2015 really. Finally with ChuckMountains verification of the fix and additional details along with my degrading RS15 / HD550 I got the courage to attempt this myself and boy am I glad I did.

Unfortunately I don't have a before picture, but it was very similiar, a bit worse, than the before picture of ChuckMountain.
The projector had a Magenta stripe on the left hand side of the picture (mine is wall/ceiling mounted, so upside down).
I have a 117" screen and the stripe was a good 8" wide or possibly a bit more, even after masking the edges and attempting to move the picture sideways in the HTPC I got hooked up. So might have been 10-12" wide without the masking.

It has been slowly developing over the last ~3 years where the line slowly creeps further and further. When I first noticed it, it was barely 1".

So most of the instructions are available from the other posts but I wanted to provide some experience from my side as well.

1) Disassemble top cover:
First of all, get yourself a service manual or google some instructions on how to disassemble the projector.
This was really no issue at all except for the 4 hooks holding the top cover of the projector in place when the lamp cover and the 5 screws have already been removed.
There was a slight gap in the "trim" between the top and bottom cover where you could insert a screwdriver or similar to push the hooks. (Seemed like this was the idea of how to get it done). I managed to break the plastic "trim" into two pieces (doesn't really show after putting it back together). It was much easier to just firmly press the cover inwards on the area where the hooks are and lift the cover slightly then they were released. So just my input on getting past this hurdle...

2) Remove metal cover:
Once you have the top cover off you need to remove 12 screws to get the metal cover off that is showing underneath.

3) Run the projector to get to know your issue:
At this point I would (in hind sight) opt to run the projector. Then you will see what you see in the picture with the blue and green light from the optical block (iphone distorted the colors from real life). While running the projector at this point you can press the part of the adjuster that is sticking out, the metal plate (you need to press quite firm). Doing so will allow you to slightly adjust the mirror but only in two directions. If you are able to remove the stripe by pressing on the metal plate in either direction make note of which direction. Then shut down the projector again and continue.

4) More disassembly if needed?
If you have an issue with a yellow line (blue mirror out of alignment) you are really in luck as then you won't need to disassemble any further, move to step 5.
If you have an issue with magenta line you need to get the optical block out of the projector, which requires disconnecting quite a few cables, removing the lamp, removing the front cover, etc... Took quite some time, but nothing were too difficult. If you have an issue with cyan (I guess it would be Cyan?) stripe you are more or less out of luck. It is extremely difficult to reach the third mirror adjustment while the optical block is in place. In this case you would most likely need to disassemble to a point where you could bench-run the optical block completely removed from the projector. You might be able to remove the plates without disassembly if you have the right tools, I wasn't able to so went ahead with disassembly.

5) The adjustment plates:
Remove the adjuster from the optical block by removing the two screws. Then the pulling on it straight out (the clip on the adjuster is attached to the delicate glass mirror inside the optical block).

a) If you were able to get the stripe to disappear by pressing the metal plate of the adjuster, at this point with the adjuster out, use your hands or two sets of pliers to bend the metal plate of the adjuster compared to the base of the adjuster. Thus making the "normal" position of the adjuster the same as when you pressed on it while the Projector was running. Slight adjustments are all that is needed.

b) If you weren't able to get the stripe to disappear by pressing the metal plate then you need to either follow ChuckMountains breaking the glue or NCCouchTaters tape-version. Since I (unfortunately) wasn't aware of this idea of bending the metal plate at this point of my process (which would have made life so much easier) I broke the glue. As you can see in the pictures attached I then applied glue on both parts, re-installed half the adjuster with the clip on it and then screwed the other part of the adjuster in place. I used 2 hour epoxy which actually took all night to set 100%. This is a very strong glue which can handle a lot of heat and you get long time to adjust. I thought it was a good choice. But there are obviously options out there.

6) Run the projector again:
Now run the projector again, if you used the glue-option you will be adjusting your mirror while the projector is running. I did this with the yellow mirror (looks green in picture) down at the bottom. It was possible to get a finger on it, but not more. Small movements made huge differences. Once you are happy with alignment stop, shut down the projector and let the glue cure.

Next morning when starting the projector, my adjustment unfortunately drifted very slightly while it was curing so in the end I have a hairline stripe which is only visible showing totally white screen and basically only if you know to look for it, still very, very happy with the result.
Also I had a yellow stripe in the same location. Not sure how I managed to develop this, maybe it was there all along only not really visible as the magenta as there as well and the yellow stripe was a lot smaller. Maybe I got something out of alignment when working on the projector.
At this point I went ahead with the pressing metal plate and it made the stripe disappear so I performed step 5a above and all was fine, no line visible at all.

So one conclusion on the bending metal plate approach is that if you have a yellow stripe on either right or left side of screen you will probably be able to bend the metal plate to get it correct as bending it seemed to cause this movement of the mirror.
In this case you really are in luck. Then just follow step 1-3 + 5a and finally 6. Should be possible to do in 1-2 hours time with minimal risk and using only a Philips screwdriver and possibly a pair of pliers or two depending on how strong your fingers are, i did it without pliers no problem.

I am not sure if pressing the metal plate of the adjuster for the yellow mirror would completely remove the magenta stripe, but it is possible and in that case a very simple solution as you won't risk getting out of alignment in any other direction (turning the adjuster, instead of pushing it back or forth).

Good luck to anyone out there with this same issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OpticalBlockWhileRunning.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	2504260   Click image for larger version

Name:	mirroradjusterpartlyattached.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	2504262   Click image for larger version

Name:	mirroradjusterbrokenapart.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	2504264   Click image for larger version

Name:	glueingmirroradjuster.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	546.4 KB
ID:	2504266  
descalabro likes this.

Last edited by semikroo; 01-02-2019 at 01:34 AM.
post #255 of 258 Old 02-01-2019, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi.. i have yellow stripe at the top (jvc x7000) is this related? See pic
https://imgur.com/a/JlLJXMl
post #256 of 258 Old 04-19-2019, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vick82sydney View Post
I believe so.

Mine was like this except magenta in color.
post #257 of 258 Old 04-21-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by vick82sydney View Post
If the yellow stripe goes all the way through the top of the screen in a regular or consistent straight line, then yes, there's a misaligned glass. I can't get a perfect idea from your photo. I wish it wouldn't be the case, as it's unfortunate to still find this kind of issue in a post 2015 JVC.
post #258 of 258 Old 04-22-2019, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Two years ago I already answered about the yellow horizontal strip at X35. All the same, you just need to adjust the top glass on the optical unit. Disassemble the optical unit itself is not necessary !!!
Look for my posts on this topic, everything is explained and understood, there is a photo of what needs to be done.
descalabro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Bravia 55 Inch Sxrd Kds 55a3000 Rear Projection Hdtv , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page