How to setup AE8000 projector for powered zoom between 16x9 and 2.35 on a Cinema scope screen - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
(original post moved to this forum)

I just bought a Panasonic AE8000U projector for my media room. I have not bought my screen yet but am looking at a Cinema scope screen (138" - ~127x54"). The plan is to Zoom into fill the entire screen on 2:35 widescreen movies and zoom out to 110" (~97"x54") when watching 16x9(1.78).. So to test this and to prove out the needed throw distance I have the Panasonic projector sitting on it's box about 1' off the floor with lens shift at about 75% of the max. Projected image is about 3' off the ground..

So when I zoom in and play a 2.35 scope image. It looks great. I mask out the screen (127x54) on the wall. I then switch to 16x9 and it zooms back to 97x54.. (does this automatically by video content btw.. greatness)..here is the problem. It shifts the entire image down 18". I have to readjust the len shift (manual) between the images sizes..

My current thought is you can not use lens shift if you plan to zoom.. Meaning i need to buy a different mount.

So can any Panasonic users/ auto "zoomer" out there that have set this up please help me out.

Update: After talking to Panasonic tech support yesterday which didn't know the answer either, I tried the following.

I moved the projector up so the lens was 42" off the ground. I zero'd the lens shift and tried switching between 1.78 and 2.35.

With input source of 1.78 set image to ~54x96(110"). Saved lens setting1 for 1.78. Next with 2.35 source zoomed in to fill~ 54x127(138"). Saved Lens setting 2 for 2.35.

This seemed to work correctly filling the 54" completely without shifting the image up.

I have read that some people mount the project in the center of the screen but that seems not very desirable. That would put the project at ~6' off the ground and from ~20' back would produce a huge light path to work around.

Next I put the bottom of the screen at 42" (as I had thought was the standard no lens shift position. IE epson ). [note I am using desktop mode/bottom of screen right now but will flip to ceiling/ top of screen to mount. Same geometry] I when I switched between 1.78 and 2.38 using the saved setting from before it moves the entire image up when zooming to 2.38.

Frustrated I started playing with setting in the menu.. I found that I could move the 2.38 image down using lens v-shift and saved in lens setting 2(2.38).

In effect, I have solved the problem doing this but is this the correct way to set this projector up?

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-21-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Mount Pj as per instructions. Then I use the manual lens shifts on the projector itself to get a 1.78:1 image correct. So the horiz. and vertical shift accessed via the remote is zeroed. Then save it. Move on to your other aspect ratios you want to save (1.85:1, 2.35:1, 2.4:1, etc.). These will all be adjusted via the remote shift settings and the saved.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-01-2015, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does it work well with movies shifting from 2.35 to 16x9 and back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-01-2015, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2593
One of the issues trying to use the lens memories on this projector (and other Panasonic models) is that lens shift is manual. I believe they try to alleviate this issue by electronically shifting the image on the LCD to "vertically shift" the image. If they had just included motorized lens shift along with zoom and focus the system/software would be far easier to use and setup like it is on the Sony, Sharp, JVC, Sim2, Runco, and Epson models.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-13-2016, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
One of the issues trying to use the lens memories on this projector (and other Panasonic models) is that lens shift is manual. I believe they try to alleviate this issue by electronically shifting the image on the LCD to "vertically shift" the image. If they had just included motorized lens shift along with zoom and focus the system/software would be far easier to use and setup like it is on the Sony, Sharp, JVC, Sim2, Runco, and Epson models.

So you're saying that the image will adjust between aspect ratios with the remote still, right? You can just sit back and when I switch from watching tv to a scope movie I don't need to make any manual adjustments?
post #6 of 6 Old 05-13-2016, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundodger View Post
So you're saying that the image will adjust between aspect ratios with the remote still, right? You can just sit back and when I switch from watching tv to a scope movie I don't need to make any manual adjustments?
You'll need to set the memories up first, but after that it should work pretty seamlessly. What the Panasonic does, to compensate for the lack of motorized vertical lens shift, is it will digitally shift the image within the projected frame to basically do the same thing motorized vertical lens shift would do, albeit at a slightly less capable amount that you'd see from the other manufacturers mentioned. By digitally I mean it will take the video portion of the 16/9 frame and move it up (or down) into the black bar portion of the frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page