The Blacker the Theater, The Better the Image - Page 112 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3023Likes

post #3331 of 6765 Old 03-31-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post
I came here to share Vantablack as well as something called Black 2.0

I don't see a place where you can buy Vanta-- only that you can send stuff to be coated. However, Black 2.0 appears to be for sale -- I'm thinking about using this to paint my recessed light fixtures up by the screen.

https://culturehustle.com/products/b...t-art-material
Highjinx and zombie10k like this.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 6765 Old 03-31-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post

I don't see a place where you can buy Vanta-- only that you can send stuff to be coated. However, Black 2.0 appears to be for sale -- I'm thinking about using this to paint my recessed light fixtures up by the screen.

That stuff is like $379 a gallon!

How much surface area does it cover per 150 ml bottle? Website doesn't say.
post #3333 of 6765 Old 03-31-2017, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
That stuff is like $379 a gallon!

How much surface area does it cover per 150 ml bottle? Website doesn't say.
Welp, I just tweeted that question to the creator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3334 of 6765 Old 03-31-2017, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5416 Post(s)
Liked: 5771
Quote:

whoa... we have to get some of this..!

They make a jab on their site. He is the artist that got the exclusive rights to use Vanta black on some high profile art project. Meanwhile we would be buying that stuff by the gallons if they would just sell it!!

Not available to Anish Kapoor

thanks for the heads up!
sonichart likes this.
post #3335 of 6765 Old 03-31-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
whoa... we have to get some of this..!

They make a jab on their site. He is the artist that got the exclusive rights to use Vanta black on some high profile art project. Meanwhile we would be buying that stuff by the gallons if they would just sell it!!

Not available to Anish Kapoor

thanks for the heads up!
I figure this stuff is perfect for the recessed light fixture trim just above the projection screen.

My only fear is that it's TOO BLACK and now I have four circular black holes above my screen that make my other velvet treatments pale (bright?) in comparison

edit: well I ordered 300 ml of this stuff. I'll report back --

Last edited by sonichart; 03-31-2017 at 11:21 AM.
post #3336 of 6765 Old 03-31-2017, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
I figure this stuff is perfect for the recessed light fixture trim just above the projection screen.

My only fear is that it's TOO BLACK and now I have four circular black holes above my screen that make my other velvet treatments pale (bright?) in comparison

Bet ya 20 bucks the velvet is still darker That is, if you're using the good stuff. I'm very curious about this stuff so please report back!
post #3337 of 6765 Old 03-31-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:

I just ordered 6 bottles of it, great heads up thank you!

Hopefully it's enough to paint at least 1 of my 2 18" subs that I painted with the rosco. they look positively grey in comparison to the rest of the room so I drape the Royalty 3 over it and they disappear during movie watching.

it would be great if this stuff was that much darker than the Rosco and close enough to the velvet.

Let's trade notes when they arrive so we can let others know if this is a good purchase. Anything for the pursuit of pure black!!!

post #3338 of 6765 Old 03-31-2017, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 2261
Quote:

Hopefully it's enough to paint at least 1 of my 2 18" subs that I painted with the rosco. they look positively grey in comparison to the rest of the room so I drape the Royalty 3 over it and they disappear during movie watching.

it would be great if this stuff was that much darker than the Rosco and close enough to the velvet.

Let's trade notes when they arrive so we can let others know if this is a good purchase. Anything for the pursuit of pure black!!!

That's exciting. Looking forward to hearing about your views on the paint. Hopefully, you'll share some pics to show off the results.

Ron
post #3339 of 6765 Old 03-31-2017, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked: 1637
Quote:

Nice sub! One question? How the heck did you get the velvet fabric a perfect straight cut??? No matter how careful I cut my velvet it never got a perfect straight line and looks a little wavy in comparison to yours.

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8
post #3340 of 6765 Old 03-31-2017, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I like the color and so does my wife which is probably more important.

I don't think paint is ever going to do as well as treatment with velvet etc but I have no complaints now that I added velvet panels to absorb the letterbox overspray at the bottom when zooming.

Our room is also for general use when the blinds go up so black would have been too oppressive IMO.

Exactly the same for me.

I used Dulux drive time as my paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMartin56 likes this.
post #3341 of 6765 Old 03-31-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Nice sub! One question? How the heck did you get the velvet fabric a perfect straight cut??? No matter how careful I cut my velvet it never got a perfect straight line and looks a little wavy in comparison to yours.
Thanks, I built 2 and building 2 more. They rock my house off the foundation, love them..

The velvet is just folded in half and it makes a nice seam and then drape them over the top.

When this paint arrives, I'll show it vs the Rosco and Royalty 3 for reference.
rboster, SXRDISBEST, ereed and 1 others like this.
post #3342 of 6765 Old 03-31-2017, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
You can also use a rotary cutter and cutting board using a straight ruler edge (I used a 4 foot T-Square) to make straight cuts. That is what I used and it worked great. I made the cut from the non velvet side.

Rotary cutter:
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/fiskars.../6000052803667

Cutting board:
https://www.amazon.ca/Olfa-24-Inch-3...SSNVY7T63V8MZ2
ereed and cardoski like this.
post #3343 of 6765 Old 04-01-2017, 02:49 PM

The fellow we bought the paint from sent a link showing some details of the paint. It's good that it's pre-mixed and can be diluted if needed. he mentions it looks like velvet/flocking which would be great if it's even close to being as dark as the real deal.

it has to be darker than the Rosco and that would be the main goal
rboster and cardoski like this.
post #3344 of 6765 Old 04-01-2017, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
Disclaimer: The data presented here is intended for hobbiest interests only and not intended to portray absolute performance. Use of this data in research or in advertising literature is not recommended but if you want to, it's your money and butt on the line.

I decided to do some reflectance measurements on some black materials I had on hand. I can get in to technical details if anyone is interested but to put it in a broad stroke, the percentage reflectance data represents the total reflectance at all angles under reasonable viewing conditions. The chart is the spectral data that I pulled from the instrument used. Please be aware the upward slopes in the longer wavelengths aren't that significant when weighted for our photopic vision.

The samples compared are: Black DMD fabric sold by Acoustimac, Black flocked adhesive paper from Edmund's Optics, Protostar Flockboard, Black Ribbed Trafficmaster carpet tiles from Home Depot, and Fidelio black velvet used on screen frames.

So here is a summary table of photopically weighted reflectance with a D65 light source:

Here is the spectral chart:
I know the post above is not terribly recent but I was wondering if anyone has yet done a controlled comparison of Fidelio vs. Hobby Lobby's Black Solid Triple Velvet? And if so, to the extent that one is quantitatively superior in reflectivity reduction is the consensus here that the difference is sufficiently significant to warrant an investment in the "superior" fabric if cost is removed from the equation?

Further, does anyone know per the Cloudy Nights Flocking Materials Test if what is listed as "Deluxe Black Velvet (older Royal)(Jo Annes Fabrics)" is comparable to HB's Solid Triple Velvet?

I am in the midst of undertaking a partial redo of my bat cave and intend on covering the already existing black matte painted ceiling/black-dark maroon fabric walls with one of the velvet products. I bought a bolt of the HB velvet today and visually compared it to JoAnne Fabric's Royalty 3 (the only difference apparent to me was that the R3 had more of a sheen to it). Until I stumbled across this Thread I was completely ignorant about the impact stray reflections have on CR. But after conducting some tests using both soft light and a green laser, I was shocked to see just how much stray light my room produces and so I am determined to fix that situation.
unretarded likes this.

Last edited by sjerseydad22; 04-01-2017 at 04:56 PM.
post #3345 of 6765 Old 04-01-2017, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked: 2270
I spent a lot of time comparing the (Jo Ann) Royalty 3 fabric to Fidelio as I was looking for something to wrap my speakers.

With lights on and up close, the darker difference is apparent with the Fidelio. However, from my seating position (about 9 feet from speakers) I could see no difference at all with the lights off and watching a variety of content.
rboster likes this.
post #3346 of 6765 Old 04-01-2017, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 2261
Quote:
The fellow we bought the paint from sent a link showing some details of the paint. It's good that it's pre-mixed and can be diluted if needed. he mentions it looks like velvet/flocking which would be great if it's even close to being as dark as the real deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdIWO8vqIAg

Really interesting video. Though I am hesitant in painting my Tannoy LCR speakers that sit near the screen....I may buy some and paint a thin glass top to sit on top of the speaker....it would lay perfectly flat and you wouldn't have to attach it to the speaker finish to stay in place. I could never get protostar material to lay flat.

Since this product would cover anything with the same effect....you can pick the material to paint that has the best characteristics...stay in place and lay flat (without attaching it to the speaker).

Ron
post #3347 of 6765 Old 04-02-2017, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I spent a lot of time comparing the (Jo Ann) Royalty 3 fabric to Fidelio as I was looking for something to wrap my speakers.

With lights on and up close, the darker difference is apparent with the Fidelio. However, from my seating position (about 9 feet from speakers) I could see no difference at all with the lights off and watching a variety of content.
David, how much of the Fidelio material did you have to use before you were convinced to go one way or another?
post #3348 of 6765 Old 04-02-2017, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It would be great to see a direct comparison between Vantablack and Black 2.0. I hope the latter can compete when shining a laser on its surface. I love how it looks when not watching a movie, but if I had it to do over again I wouldnt put recessed lights above the screen again. Pointless.

post #3349 of 6765 Old 04-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
It would be great to see a direct comparison between Vantablack and Black 2.0. I hope the latter can compete when shining a laser on its surface. I love how it looks when not watching a movie, but if I had it to do over again I wouldnt put recessed lights above the screen again. Pointless.

It's funny you said that about the Recessed lights,I disconnected mine that are 2' from the screen,after I did my Ceiling in velvet,and even with the Rings painted Flat Black with the High Temp Bbq paint you could still see some reflection. They are now covered under the velvet,but still assecible if I ever want to change the room.

2 Channel: Fi 2A3 mono's,Hovland HP100,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's for LCR, Side and Rear Surrounds. Jbl SCS8'S for Fr Heights, and Rear Heights,2 Epik Empire Subs,2 Behringer B1200D Midbass Subs,Marantz 7702MK2,Proceed Amp-5,Outlaw 7125,Panasonic UB820 ,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS600. Black Velvet.
post #3350 of 6765 Old 04-02-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjerseydad22 View Post
David, how much of the Fidelio material did you have to use before you were convinced to go one way or another?
I had a piece that covered the top of my speaker. At times, I also split the top of the speaker with half Fidelio and half Royalty 3.
post #3351 of 6765 Old 04-02-2017, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I've been using Flat Black Curtains on both the left and right side of my room. The effect was good,and I liked the look of the curtains instead of just a wall. Fast forward this past week,I bought enough Syfabrics Triple Black to use as curtains,I just Stapled the velvet to the curtains so that the staples were not visible,I was hoping not to see any metal shinning,the difference is night and day! My room was good before but now it's great! With the lights on the room still has that old theater look with the velvet curtains which is what I wanted,while watching a movie all you see is the image. With no movies playing you cannot see your hand in front of your face. I have a RS400 and I was thinking about upgrading to the 520 but with the velvet added to my curtains I have no desire at all. Movies look that much better,might have to call ChadB for a touchup now!

sonichart and ereed like this.

2 Channel: Fi 2A3 mono's,Hovland HP100,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's for LCR, Side and Rear Surrounds. Jbl SCS8'S for Fr Heights, and Rear Heights,2 Epik Empire Subs,2 Behringer B1200D Midbass Subs,Marantz 7702MK2,Proceed Amp-5,Outlaw 7125,Panasonic UB820 ,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS600. Black Velvet.
post #3352 of 6765 Old 04-03-2017, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Between rosco super saturated Black velour and dc fix velour what do you think that is better for rear wall? Thanks

Enviado do meu GT-I9505 através de Tapatalk
post #3353 of 6765 Old 04-03-2017, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 2081
After reading this entire thread, I suggest a title update.

Once you go black you will always want to go blacker.....

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #3354 of 6765 Old 04-03-2017, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Anyone have any suggestions for some minimal lighting for my batcave? Walls and ceiling and much of the floor are velvet, so even with the one ceiling light on -- a recessed baffle trim, with a 45w spot bulb, in about the center of the room -- people are always tripping over things, banging into the surround speakers, or stumbling trying to get to the seats on the riser in back. I would like some light in the back row until the movie starts, and sometimes I would also like some light there for my wife to sit and hang out and read or surf while I'm playing a videogame. But of course I don't want to wash the screen out anymore than necessary.

I swapped out the recessed baffled for a recessed eyeball and aimed it at the back seats, but somehow it seems like the screen is even more lit up than with the baffle light pointed straight down.

Ideally I'd like to replace the center light with the perfect trim/bulb combo to get light on the seating without washing out the screen, but if necessary I will put a different light over the rear seats. Is a baffle really the best option for keeping the light from spilling to the screen? I was kind of shocked the eyeball didn't beat it hands-down (much less at all). Should I go with smaller trim/housings (this is 6")? Would a par20 spot be noticeably better than a par30?

Last edited by curttard; 04-03-2017 at 06:52 PM.
post #3355 of 6765 Old 04-04-2017, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Drapes lux measurment

I recently upgraded to a StudioTek 100 screen (thanks Mike!). Thought I would post some about the room treatment changes I did and a simple lux measurement.

I already had dark gray carpet/ceiling and blackout material on front screen wall for a combined border of about 2 feet all around the screen. Side walls are midnight blue (dark) with a little lighter blue acoustic panels. For the ST100 I completed the blackout of the front screen wall around the screen. I added black velvet material (protostar) for the speakers (non AT screen) and installed black velvet curtains on the side walls that I can pull out from the front screen wall if I choose.

The velvet drapes are a bit of a mixed bag. I don't think the velvet is as dark as it could be and they are heavier than I would like. The velvet seems close to the Joann blizard fleece with a hint of blue (warmer). I just impulse bought them and should have done more research. Half price drapes Warm Velvet. They also have a white backing that is not visible but adds weight and further reduces the acoustic transparency I suspect. They are not bad but I wonder if I could find better.

I put up a full white image and measured from my center speaker facing the projector. This area is outside the beam of the projector. With the velvet curtains not deployed I was getting 1.9 lux. This should mostly be reflections back toward the screen but I suspect some directly from the screen even though I had the probe facing away from it and below the beam. When I pull the velvet curtains out so they cover the first six feed of the side walls I was getting 1.6 lux. That's like a 15% improvement. There is plenty to dismiss on the methodology but I found the reading of interest that the drapes did drop the lux measurably. This was at the center and I may do some on the sides to see if it is more pronounced.

I may look for less weight and possibly an acoustically transparent "velvet" curtain if there is such a thing. I see some have made curtains out of Joann Royalty 3 Velvet. Ideally I would like to find a place that makes custom drapes and pick a better fabric. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have enough protostar to do the first four feet out from the screen on the ceiling. Some concern if it will stick as I found it somewhat less tacky than I would prefer in using it on some of the front screen wall. My other option might be to paint the ceiling with that Rosco stuff. This thread is a blessing and a curse. It is an OCD nightmare with always something more that can be done.
Mike Garrett and Dandlj like this.

Last edited by fingersdlp; 04-04-2017 at 10:13 AM.
post #3356 of 6765 Old 04-04-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingersdlp View Post
Drapes lux measurment

I recently upgraded to a StudioTek 100 screen (thanks Mike!). Thought I would post some about the room treatment changes I did and a simple lux measurement.

I already had dark gray carpet/ceiling and blackout material on front screen wall for a combined border of about 2 feet all around the screen. Side walls are midnight blue (dark) with a little lighter blue acoustic panels. For the ST100 I completed the blackout of the front screen wall around the screen. I added black velvet material (protostar) for the speakers (non AT screen) and installed black velvet curtains on the side walls that I can pull out from the front screen wall if I choose.

The velvet drapes are a bit of a mixed bag. I don't think the velvet is as dark as it could be and they are heavier than I would like. The velvet seems close to the Joann blizard fleece with a hint of blue (warmer). I just impulse bought them and should have done more research. Half price drapes Warm Velvet. They also have a white backing that is not visible but adds weight and further reduces the acoustic transparency I suspect. They are not bad but I wonder if I could find better.

I put up a full white image and measured from my center speaker facing the projector. This area is outside the beam of the projector. With the velvet curtains not deployed I was getting 1.9 lux. This should mostly be reflections back toward the screen but I suspect some directly from the screen even though I had the probe facing away from it and below the beam. When I pull the velvet curtains out so they cover the first six feed of the side walls I was getting 1.6 lux. That's like a 15% improvement. There is plenty to dismiss on the methodology but I found the reading of interest that the drapes did drop the lux measurably. This was at the center and I may do some on the sides to see if it is more pronounced.

I may look for less weight and possibly an acoustically transparent "velvet" curtain if there is such a thing. I see some have made curtains out of Joann Royalty 3 Velvet. Ideally I would like to find a place that makes custom drapes and pick a better fabric. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have enough protostar to do the first four feet out from the screen on the ceiling. Some concern if it will stick as I found it somewhat less tacky than I would prefer in using it on some of the front screen wall. My other option might be to paint the ceiling with that Rosco stuff. This thread is a blessing and a curse. It is an OCD nightmare with always something more that can be done.
Sounds like we have a similar set-up and room. I too have the ST100 screen (love it) and am using Protostar on the side walls and Rosco for the rest of the entire room with black carpet. I have Royalty 3 velvet around my front speakers and subs. Not sure if you can see it (even with cell phone camera flash, it's hard to see), but on the very far left I made a window panel out of Styrofoam to cover the window - wrapped it in Duvetyne material.

Click image for larger version

Name:	room2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	2067409
post #3357 of 6765 Old 04-04-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Sounds like we have a similar set-up and room. I too have the ST100 screen (love it) and am using Protostar on the side walls and Rosco for the rest of the entire room with black carpet. I have Royalty 3 velvet around my front speakers and subs. Not sure if you can see it (even with cell phone camera flash, it's hard to see), but on the very far left I made a window panel out of Styrofoam to cover the window - wrapped it in Duvetyne material.
Attachment 2067409
Very nice! That is another step beyond what I have done. I think painting my ceiling (or other treatment) would be my next biggest improvement. Did you experience your room before you painted it with Rosco? Curious for first hand feedback on its impact.

I also made some masking panels out of gator board foam and covered them with protostar. I can use them to mask down to true 4:3 material or anything less that 16:9 like a few of my Kubrick movies. In addition if I want more lumens for 3D I can use the lens memory of my projector to make the screen smaller and then mask them left/right (I also have electric masking for the top/bottom built into the frame). That protostar is some cool stuff and the panels are very light weight. I treat them carefully as they would not hold up to any hard impacts but when installed look solid like they belong.
post #3358 of 6765 Old 04-04-2017, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi All,

Have an opinion question - I want to black out part of my drop ceiling. But I want to do it the laziest way possible. What is the best approach? Could I take syfabrics velvet, and roll contact cement on it and just roll/paste it on over the grid/tiles?
post #3359 of 6765 Old 04-04-2017, 01:42 PM

odd double post - removed.
post #3360 of 6765 Old 04-04-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
Hi All,

Have an opinion question - I want to black out part of my drop ceiling. But I want to do it the laziest way possible. What is the best approach? Could I take syfabrics velvet, and roll contact cement on it and just roll/paste it on over the grid/tiles?
It is pricey but protostar makes panels intended to fit under ceiling tiles. I have not used them. I have used the flexible stuff and it is great. You could check out their web site with a search. They also sell tape to cover the grid. FYI. Flockboard sheets I think is the name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page