The Blacker the Theater, The Better the Image - Page 146 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2753Likes

post #4351 of 6291 Old 11-20-2017, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Just ordered my Triple velvet swatch from SY fabrics.

Can't wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4352 of 6291 Old 11-22-2017, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

I've decided to just purchase the SY fabrics triple velvet to use on my side walls, rear wall, ceilings.
I am holding out for some high performing stuff to go around the screen because I really hate any light bleed around the screen.
I haven't received the swatch yet however I am expecting it will not meet my goal of zero reflection around the screen. This may be an impossible goal.

I need approx 55 yards so triple velvet fits into my budget.

Who knows what it will cost to surround the screen.
post #4353 of 6291 Old 11-22-2017, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
I am holding out for some high performing stuff to go around the screen because I really hate any light bleed around the screen.
I haven't received the swatch yet however I am expecting it will not meet my goal of zero reflection around the screen. This may be an impossible goal.
Who knows what it will cost to surround the screen.
Any light hitting your screen wall will have first reflected off another surface. If you are covering your room in black velvet how much light do you expect to be reflected back to the screen? I can't imagine the triple velvet not working in this application.
johnson636 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4354 of 6291 Old 11-22-2017, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Any light hitting your screen wall will have first reflected off another surface. If you are covering your room in black velvet how much light do you expect to be reflected back to the screen? I can't imagine the triple velvet not working in this application.
It will not help with light bleed around the immediate perimeter of the screen.

I am ordering it for the walls and ceilings and expect dramatically better contrast and picture quality because no more light will reflect from the walls and wash out the screen.
However, the image bleed around the screen is coming directly from the projector so I do not expect much help from the reduced light reflection from the walls.

A more non reflective velvet will be needed for that.
post #4355 of 6291 Old 11-22-2017, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 5236 Post(s)
Liked: 5487
Quote:
It will not help with light bleed around the immediate perimeter of the screen.

I am ordering it for the walls and ceilings and expect dramatically better contrast and picture quality because no more light will reflect from the walls and wash out the screen.
However, the image bleed around the screen is coming directly from the projector so I do not expect much help from the reduced light reflection from the walls.

A more non reflective velvet will be needed for that.
What kind of screen / projector combo do you have? i'm trying to follow why there is light bleed outside the perimeter of the screen.
post #4356 of 6291 Old 11-22-2017, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
What kind of screen / projector combo do you have? i'm trying to follow why there is light bleed outside the perimeter of the screen.
LG CF181D.

Please bare with me this is my first ever projector ever and purchased in May 2010.
It is known to not have the best blacks.

Oh wait part of the issue may be me not having the projector perfectly lined up so the image perfectly hits with the border of the screen. Duh.
Even so though there is still, at least with my projector, some residual light from the projector that is not part of the movie footprint that hits the velvet border around the movie footprint.
post #4357 of 6291 Old 11-22-2017, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
LG CF181D.

Please bare with me this is my first ever projector ever and purchased in May 2010.

Oh wait part of the issue may be me not having the projector perfectly lined up so the image perfectly hits with the border of the screen. Duh.
Even so though there is still, at least with my projector, some residual light from the projector that is not part of the movie footprint that hits the velvet border around the movie footprint.
I'm trying to follow your issue and have a hard time understanding. I have Syfabrics triple black around my screen area and there is no "light bleed" what so ever Sounds more like a setup issue than light reflection issue.

Last edited by johnson636; 11-22-2017 at 09:01 AM.
post #4358 of 6291 Old 11-22-2017, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2530 Post(s)
Liked: 2808
The screen wall should not have any light, and not sure how you get more high performance then Sy triple black. My top of my screen is 5in from the ceiling and there are zero reflections. Like everyone else said something else is happening.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Little Dot hybrid tube amp with GE tubes.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #4359 of 6291 Old 11-22-2017, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 5236 Post(s)
Liked: 5487
Quote:
LG CF181D.

hi, maybe post some photos of the room setup so we can help.

I calibrated an LG CF181D a few years ago, the contrast was definitely limited considering they were using a Sony SXRD panel in that projector.

if you have the opportunity to update to a current or recent JVC you will be floored by the comparison, especially after blacking out a room.
post #4360 of 6291 Old 11-22-2017, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Just ordered 59 yards from SyFabrics.
unretarded likes this.
post #4361 of 6291 Old 11-22-2017, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1686 Post(s)
Liked: 2072
Protostar is the most non reflective surface made........ever....for anything.

EDIT, I was wrong as usual.....

Here is a link to some tests done with measuring equipment......

https://www.cloudynights.com/article...-reduction-r82

As always I would get a sample to make sure it works for your intended use......

Also in my digging I found several references...AVS threads that stated the deep thick pile velvets were the best for around the screen edge.......

Keep us updated on what you do/find that works.....

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html

Last edited by unretarded; 11-22-2017 at 01:48 PM.
post #4362 of 6291 Old 11-22-2017, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
Protostar is the most non reflective surface made........ever....for anything.

EDIT, I was wrong as usual.....

Here is a link to some tests done with measuring equipment......

https://www.cloudynights.com/article...-reduction-r82

As always I would get a sample to make sure it works for your intended use......
Fidelio is the blackest.

My screen frame is made from Fidelio.

The velvet I use on my ceiling is extremely close in performance to it. Its called Double Velvet here in Australia.

Fidelio on the screen, Double Velvet hanging on the speaker.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #4363 of 6291 Old 11-22-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
I'm trying to follow your issue and have a hard time understanding. I have Syfabrics triple black around my screen area and there is no "light bleed" what so ever Sounds more like a setup issue than light reflection issue.
If you zoom your projector to its absolute smallest image on your screen and really study a black field from it, you will see that actually there is quite large light bleed around the 16:9 image extending about 20-25% on all sides..

The JVC's project a large light bleed area.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #4364 of 6291 Old 11-23-2017, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You guys are maniacs . . .

. . . but I see the point and worry someday my bat cave may be transmogrified into a velvet coffin.

This is definitely no sitting parlor for tea and crumpets. Serious man business stuff.
post #4365 of 6291 Old 11-28-2017, 04:42 PM
EC
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
So I ran a test today. The untreated velvet lit fast and produced stinky black smoke. The treated materials would not burn. I was using wooden matches, but I held the flame to the material and at an edge. I will try in a few days with a lighter and see how long it would take for it to catch fire, as I am sure it will eventually. I am more concerned with delaying the spread and keeping the velvet from producing toxic smoke.

...... I will treat them with the Coldfire during this process.

Cardoski

I am in the process of building my screen wall and plan to black velvet the entire screen wall and about 4' from the screen on the ceiling and adjacent walls. I want to ensure the velvet is fire retardant. It has been a few years since the above post. Has the http://coldfirecanada.com/fire-block-fire-retardant caused any discoloration to the black velvet or have any other adverse effects.

Also does anybody have any fire retardant information on Protostar or SyFabric Black triple velvet's. Their respective website doesn't mention this. Thought I would ask the AVS community before contacting them.
post #4366 of 6291 Old 11-29-2017, 02:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by EC View Post
Cardoski

I am in the process of building my screen wall and plan to black velvet the entire screen wall and about 4' from the screen on the ceiling and adjacent walls. I want to ensure the velvet is fire retardant. It has been a few years since the above post. Has the http://coldfirecanada.com/fire-block-fire-retardant caused any discoloration to the black velvet or have any other adverse effects.

Also does anybody have any fire retardant information on Protostar or SyFabric Black triple velvet's. Their respective website doesn't mention this. Thought I would ask the AVS community before contacting them.
I about to cover my entire room in triple velvet...nothing else in my house is overly fire retardant ie. drywall, carpet, etc...what is your specific concern with the velvet?

Edit: is your concern around velvet coming in contact with pot lights in the ceiling? What have other people done to address this concern?

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820
Triple black velvet bat cave

Last edited by asharma; 11-29-2017 at 04:01 AM.
post #4367 of 6291 Old 11-29-2017, 04:26 AM
EC
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
I about to cover my entire room in triple velvet...nothing else in my house is overly fire retardant ie. drywall, carpet, etc...what is your specific concern with the velvet?

Edit: is your concern around velvet coming in contact with pot lights in the ceiling? What have other people done to address this concern?
My concerns are the quickness of ignition and when on fire the release of toxins especially in an enclosed cave surrounded by two layers of Type X drywall. I want to be overly cautious since I have a small kid. Years ago, I bought Auralex sound wedges and one of their selling points over their competition was the burn test. Auralex showed that their acoustic foam would not catch fire. Maybe I drank too much of their cool aid Something I didn't really consider and this was before I had a kid. i also remember seeing the videos of those halogen Torch Lamps popular in the 80s / 90s coming in contact with curtains and how quick a fire can be set.

On my screen wall, I have two cold air returns so any toxins would be sucked in and spread to the rest of the house. I have no pot lights in the ceiling (by design) but instead some LED wall scones. Many years ago in my old house/HT, I had buttkickers and one of the BKer's amp's large filter capacitors blew up. It was black and charred. Luckily when it did, blow, it did not set fire to anything else. All 4 of my power amps will be behind my screen wall, granted they are of much higher quality than the buttkicker amps.

My basement was gutted and part of the new electrical code is to have a fire detector and strobe light. This was installed in the basement hallway leading to the HT. Problem is that I won't be able to hear or see it because I took the measures to soundproof the room including using a heavy 30 min fire rated door for acoustical purposes. Understandably, any fire/smoke detected is from the outside the HT.

If I can take the fire retardant measures without much pain, I want to go down that route.
asharma likes this.
post #4368 of 6291 Old 11-29-2017, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My basement was gutted and part of the new electrical code is to have a fire detector and strobe light. This was installed in the basement hallway leading to the HT. Problem is that I won't be able to hear or see it because I took the measures to soundproof the room including using a heavy 30 min fire rated door for acoustical purposes. Understandably, any fire/smoke detected is from the outside the HT.

If I can take the fire retardant measures without much pain, I want to go down that route.
You can buy multiples of the connected smoke detectors, such as Nest, that will all start screaming when just one of them detects smoke.
unretarded likes this.
post #4369 of 6291 Old 11-29-2017, 10:00 AM
EC
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can buy multiples of the connected smoke detectors, such as Nest, that will all start screaming when just one of them detects smoke.
Anthony,

Thanks. Excellent idea. I looked on the Nest Website and they have both AC and battery smoke alarms. I will have to use the battery operated one in the HT since the "shell has been closed". I just looked at the wired smoke detector by the bedrooms and it says "replace by 2017" so a very timely post by you. I am also in the midst of installing a "real" network in my house with enterprise switches, APs etc so the timing couldn't have been better. May need to change my thermostat to a Nest as well.

Just got to find a way to cover the white Nest fire alarm with black fabric or I will install it behind the screen or PJ
post #4370 of 6291 Old 11-29-2017, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Anthony,

Thanks. Excellent idea. I looked on the Nest Website and they have both AC and battery smoke alarms. I will have to use the battery operated one in the HT since the "shell has been closed". I just looked at the wired smoke detector by the bedrooms and it says "replace by 2017" so a very timely post by you. I am also in the midst of installing a "real" network in my house with enterprise switches, APs etc so the timing couldn't have been better. May need to change my thermostat to a Nest as well.

Just got to find a way to cover the white Nest fire alarm with black fabric or I will install it behind the screen or PJ
I don't use Nest and instead chose Halo.
I gives loud voice NOAA weather alerts. Using the app you can configure all sorts of options for instance only get Tornado warning, tornado watch, tornado alert, or etc.

https://halosmartlabs.com/

Nest stuff is expensive.
I went with Honeywell Lyric thermostats because they talk with Amazon Alexa. Halo does also.

Only problem is Halo weather is hardwired I guess so the NOAA radio can remain powered.
post #4371 of 6291 Old 11-29-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
I looked on the Nest Website and they have both AC and battery smoke alarms. I will have to use the battery operated one in the HT since the "shell has been closed".
I don't want to deter you from going with Nest, but for others in the same situation, there are significantly less expensive smoke detector options that are networked as well. I have some BRK units from First Alert, that use their own RF mesh comms network. And they "talk" as well. What they don't do is call you on your cell phone to alert you, which is the Nest claim to fame.

Quote:
Yeah, the Nest don't seem all that 'paintable'. It would be very easy to pop the plastic lid off the First Alerts (or most such detectors) and paint it black, then snap it back on. That's what I will be doing eventually (HT room isn't even started yet).
post #4372 of 6291 Old 12-06-2017, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm considering doing my entire room black velvet, but I've got some concerns. Right now I've got the floor and ceiling for the first 8 feet in front of the screen in syfabrics black velvet. When I most recently added some more syfabrics black velvet, I noticed some deadening of high frequencies. For those of you who have 100% or near 100% coverage, did you notice any negative effects on audio quality?
post #4373 of 6291 Old 12-06-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindros88 View Post
When I most recently added some more syfabrics black velvet, I noticed some deadening of high frequencies. For those of you who have 100% or near 100% coverage, did you notice any negative effects on audio quality?
I'd expect velvet fabric to diffuse higher frequencies a bit more than bare wall. The bare wall will reflect sound, which is generally undesirable (particularly direct, early reflections). Where did you place the recently added fabric? Do you engage Audyssey (or other) on your prepro? If so, set up the mic and re-calibrate.

There are many variables, including our own personal taste and expectations. Nearly anything you do to the room, speakers, or electronics will impact sound to some degree.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
post #4374 of 6291 Old 12-06-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Fidelio is the blackest.
Is Fidelio the pricey fabric which a forum member tested along with other samples? I recall that JoAnn Triple black velvet was the 2nd best.

Anyhow, at some point, I'm going to buy some that pricey stuff for strategic placement in the front of my space. Couldn't recall if it was Fidelio or not.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
post #4375 of 6291 Old 12-06-2017, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post
I'd expect velvet fabric to diffuse higher frequencies a bit more than bare wall. The bare wall will reflect sound, which is generally undesirable (particularly direct, early reflections). Where did you place the recently added fabric? Do you engage Audyssey (or other) on your prepro? If so, set up the mic and re-calibrate.

There are many variables, including our own personal taste and expectations. Nearly anything you do to the room, speakers, or electronics will impact sound to some degree.
It was when I added 4 more feet to the ceiling and floor. I do have audyssey and I'll rerun it soon, since I'll be adding some acoustic panels, in the near future.
post #4376 of 6291 Old 12-06-2017, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindros88 View Post
I'm considering doing my entire room black velvet, but I've got some concerns. Right now I've got the floor and ceiling for the first 8 feet in front of the screen in syfabrics black velvet. When I most recently added some more syfabrics black velvet, I noticed some deadening of high frequencies. For those of you who have 100% or near 100% coverage, did you notice any negative effects on audio quality?
I was worried about making my room too dead sounding. It was already well damped, with a huge sofa, rug, and fabric covered ceiling (killing light reflections).
For curtains to pull over the brighter wall areas, I chose the Devore Viscose Black Velvet which is pretty transparent acoustically. It still deadens the room more when pulled across all the walls. That's ok because conventional wisdom is that a more dead room is better for home theater because surround sound is providing the ambience cues for a soundtrack and you want to hear those, not your room. So it works well in my room.

For two channel music listening, however, a bit more liveness to a room is helpful so I always listen with the curtains pulled and the walls bare. (I have a good ratio of live to dead surfaces in the room).
post #4377 of 6291 Old 12-07-2017, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 242
post #4378 of 6291 Old 12-07-2017, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Looks interesting, but at $37 a yard, I don't see it being used to often. Diminishing returns and all.
post #4379 of 6291 Old 12-07-2017, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickett View Post
Looks interesting, but at $37 a yard, I don't see it being used to often. Diminishing returns and all.
I now have some subwoofers that I have to cover in black velvet. I may order some of that stuff, since I don't need much, to see what it's like.
unretarded likes this.
post #4380 of 6291 Old 12-09-2017, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
In regards to the Morex Black stretched velvet, I purchased 30yds and now I regret it. Obviously while the room is dark you can't see it, but it lights up big time as soon as the light from the screen hits it. It is far too distracting for me. I'll use it in the back of the room where there is little to no light. Previously I used Triple black velvet from SyFabrics to cover the area closest to the screen, I'm going to order more to cover the front half of the room. The stretched velvet is absolutely no match for the triple black

PS. This is just an account of my experience with the morex stretched velvet. I'm sure others may have more success than I did
@unretarded I'd like to take back my statement in regards to the morex stretched black. It turns out I was ignorant in regards to installation orientation. I discovered my mistake by sheer luck. Initially, I just wrapped my cardboard or drywall with the stretched black without taking into account of proper orientation, but once I discovered my error and properly wrapped my boards, wolla. No matter what angle the light from the room or the pj hit the morex it remained black. I also found that the SY triple black is also orientation specific, but the difference between the two being installed without proper orientation is the SY reflects light a helluva lot better.

FYI the morex fabric I'm referring to is the $ four . 5 0/yd. Now I'm in no way suggesting that this should replace the SY or any other of the more popular brands, but if you're on a budget then I'd recommend the morex stretched black
unretarded likes this.

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 MOFO 15s in 2 dual ported cabs 17Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...

Last edited by johnson636; 01-10-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page