The Blacker the Theater, The Better the Image - Page 191 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2953Likes

post #5701 of 6650 Old 02-28-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
Bias lighting for projection is a pointless gimmick.
That's pretty much it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5702 of 6650 Old 02-28-2019, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
Just to clarify, those are really small L shaped pieces of metal, those holes are screw holes. You believe the foam boards will break?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, they are pretty much like cardboard. I guess if they are sufficiently small, I can tape them with gorilla tape or something, will try.
post #5703 of 6650 Old 02-28-2019, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Kapa line boards are not a building material, they are a kind of foamboards with some sort of plastic surface on each side. They're used by designers and architects to make models, but most commonly as hard surfaces to print photos and ads on. They're very lightweight. You can find them in black also. Similar to hollow PVC boards (and even some PVC boards have foam in the middle so maybe they're exactly the same as kapa line boards).

Kapa line board:
http://www.signmaterialsdirect.com/5...ard-kapamount3

PVC foam board (scroll down for pictures):
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...692549745.html

Hollow PVC board:
https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail...385052833.html

I see what you're going for with the magnetic rings and screws, but I would not screw them to the boards. Rather, I would glue them to the boards so that they can completely adhere and magnetize to the cross sections. This will make it simpler to mount them, saves the weight of the screws and will make for a cleaner result. Just make sure they're neodymium magnets (which are very strong), and that each PVC/kapa line board has all its edges held to the cross sections (by the photo, it looks like there's enough space). I believe your greatest challenge will be to cover the boards with the velvet in a flat and even, wrinkle-free, way.
Thanks for the links. Now I understand what you have in mind. What is the benefit of the PVC board over the two boards I linked to? I only ask because they seem to be far more expensive and I'm going to need 8' x 12' of coverage. I can do that with three 4' x 8' sheets that would be less than $10 each. They also would be sturdy enough to screw my ring magnets into and I'm guessing the neodymium magnets can hold the weight.

As much as I love your idea and think it would look great, I only have 1/4" between my screen top and my ceiling. I made a point of maximizing my screen height and I literally only have 1/4" on top and bottom and at some spots only 1/8". The frame is level but not perfectly straight. I'm not sure my covered panels can fit in there without hitting the screen. My screen actually swings up to gain access to the shelving behind it so I can't even jam it in place without affecting the travel. I may be able to get away with putting the panels in place like hung ceiling and then using the magnet approach to cover the cross members.

Another option would be to do it your way but just but them up to the front of the screen but that would look hokey on the right side where the screen stops and there is a gap over to the right wall. (my next screen is going to fill that gap)

I think I can wrap some panels and delay the decision of whether to put them above or below the frames if I size them right. That way I can try it and see how it looks.

Thanks for all the help! Keep the ideas coming please. Many heads are much better than one!
Rick

Last edited by rdlohr; 02-28-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5704 of 6650 Old 02-28-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
Yes, they are pretty much like cardboard. I guess if they are sufficiently small, I can tape them with gorilla tape or something, will try.

The backside of your boards, is it covered in velvet too? If not, then I would go with some super glue or any strong liquid glue.

post #5705 of 6650 Old 02-28-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
Thanks for the links. Now I understand what you have in mind. What is the benefit of the PVC board over the two boards I linked to? I only ask because they seem to be far more expensive and I'm going to need 8' x 12' of coverage. I can do that with three 4' x 8' sheets that would be less than $10 each. They also would be sturdy enough to screw my ring magnets into and I'm guessing the neodymium magnets can hold the weight.
You're welcome. I must say that I didn't pay enough attention to the boards you first linked to, so I thought they were thicker. The reason why I suggested PVC/kapa line is because it's lighter. But, anyways, the boards you've mentioned are stronger and the magnets should hold them if you're sure those cross sections have good attraction to magnets. But, again, it seems to me that screwing the magnet rings is more work than needed, and you should avoid it unless you're absolutely sure the screw heads won't compromise a perfect contact between the magnets and the cross sections; just think how much less work it would be to just sit a drop of glue for each magnet.

Quote:
As much as I love your idea and think it would look great, I only have 1/4" between my screen top and my ceiling. I made a point of maximizing my screen height and I literally only have 1/4" on top and bottom and at some spots only 1/8". The frame is level but not perfectly straight. I'm not sure my covered panels can fit in there without hitting the screen. My screen actually swings up to gain access to the shelving behind it so I can't even jam it in place without affecting the travel. I may be able to get away with putting the panels in place like hung ceiling and then using the magnet approach to cover the cross members.
I hadn't really considered the option of simply replacing the current panels for the ones covered in velvet; or instead of replacing them, just slide the new ones beneath them. For the cross sections, before thinking about using magnets, you could buy one of those rolls of black velvet tape and try to test with a sample how much residue they leave on the cross sections after removal. This velvet tape will probably not look as dark as triple velvet, but I wouldn't care about that.

Quote:
Another option would be to do it your way but just but them up to the front of the screen but that would look hokey on the right side where the screen stops and there is a gap over to the right wall. (my next screen is going to fill that gap)
If you still want to consider some hanging-with-magnets options, here's 2 other materials that may work:

- 0,2 or 0,3 mm zinc sheets. Zinc holds very strongly to neodymium magnets, and although it isn't lightweight, with this thickness it's not going to be too much weight if you don't spare the magnets (and as long as those cross sections have good attraction to magnets too). This would save you the task of gluing the magnets, thus giving you a lot more freedom to try different placements.
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1pc-H...805544919.html

- 0,3mm PVC sheets, with magnets glued to them. Very lightweight, but much more flexible than the zinc sheets. Choose one that's porous so that the glue will hold better.

Since these materials are flexible, here's a mounting suggestion:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing

These two options should be less expensive than what we've discussed so far.

Finally, there's this kind of very thin "rigid" PVC (I don't know the price):
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...2d46VGvjqn&s=p

Notice that you'll probably find these materials at lower prices if you buy them to dedicated vendors than to big stores like Home Depot.

Quote:
Thanks for all the help! Keep the ideas coming please. Many heads are much better than one!
Rick
Indeed!

Last edited by descalabro; 02-28-2019 at 07:53 PM.
post #5706 of 6650 Old 03-01-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
You do not want to diffuse light. That would reduce the actual contrast by sending some light back to the screen. What would be the point of spending money to improve "perceived" contrast at the expense of true, measured contrast? The best projected image has no competition from other light sources, to include reflections of the projected light itself. That is why this thread exists, to teach you how to absorb light. Bias lighting for projection is a pointless gimmick. It's a gadget that probably makes a cool effect for 10 minutes in a showroom but would crush your spirits when you get home and realize that not only are you not batman, but you can't see batman on screen because the bias lighting washes him out.

A dark surround for the screen is better than not having it, definitely. There are many examples of recessed screen areas that have been blacked out to great effect, and the more absorptive, the better. The point of the thread is, the more, the better. You have to find your own balance point between total cave and artistic design. In my last two builds I have used curtains/false walls to frame out a blacked out space separate from the sitting area.
lol "not only are you not batman"!

yes, point taken about the thread purposes and the physics of the lighting. It ends up being a priority decision of form vs function standpoint. It would be interesting to see the folks that somehow got the best of both worlds somehow but I doubt most would spend that kind of money on "room masking" systems... It's probably cheaper for most to build two separate rooms (casual and theater) at that point.

Blazar!
post #5707 of 6650 Old 03-01-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
lol "not only are you not batman"!

yes, point taken about the thread purposes and the physics of the lighting. It ends up being a priority decision of form vs function standpoint. It would be interesting to see the folks that somehow got the best of both worlds somehow but I doubt most would spend that kind of money on "room masking" systems... It's probably cheaper for most to build two separate rooms (casual and theater) at that point.
Very few of the professionally designed theaters in the construction sub-forums are fully blacked out, but all of them have blacked out the ceiling entirely and most if not all of the screen wall. A black ceiling just disappears. the idea scares people unfamiliar with it, but when you see it (or don't), it absolutely looks like it belongs. Black ceilings are very common in restaurants - look up! The screen wall can be neatly framed out with false walls, columns, or curtains to create the desired black hole around the screen.
post #5708 of 6650 Old 03-01-2019, 04:54 PM

Where is the best place in the US now to buy the blackest velvet?
I see some old links, but how about some recent ones?
Rick

JVC DLA-X590R Projector, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR-S940H, 125" Milliskin Silver/White Spandex AT Screen, Black Velvet on hung ceiling
post #5709 of 6650 Old 03-01-2019, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Where is the best place in the US now to buy the blackest velvet?
I see some old links, but how about some recent ones?
Rick
Amazon, look for the triple black sold by the bolt by Fabric Bravo
post #5710 of 6650 Old 03-01-2019, 05:10 PM

Anyone tried this one? The price is good.
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Triple-...web_7779549011

Rick

JVC DLA-X590R Projector, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR-S940H, 125" Milliskin Silver/White Spandex AT Screen, Black Velvet on hung ceiling
post #5711 of 6650 Old 03-01-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
Amazon, look for the triple black sold by the bolt by Fabric Bravo
Found it. $174.99 shipped
post #5712 of 6650 Old 03-01-2019, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Found it. $174.99 shipped
The price recently increased. For a number of months up until a week or two ago it was just under $120. Not sure if the price will drop again or not. Still a great deal for 30 yards!

Also, if you're in a pinch Joann's Royalty 3 is very nice. Normal price is $19.99 a yard, but they frequently have coupons you can use. A couple weekends ago I picked up some for $7.99 a yard using a 60% off coupon.

Last edited by Low Profile; 03-01-2019 at 06:01 PM.
post #5713 of 6650 Old 03-01-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Profile View Post
The price recently increased. For a number of months up until a week or two ago it was just under $120. Not sure if the price will drop again or not. Still a great deal for 30 yards!

Also, if you're in a pinch Joann's Royalty 3 is very nice. Normal price is $19.99 a yard, but they frequently have coupons you can use. A couple weekends ago I picked up some for $7.99 a yard using a 60% off coupon.
lol, just when I thought I was getting a good deal.
post #5714 of 6650 Old 03-01-2019, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The backside of your boards, is it covered in velvet too? If not, then I would go with some super glue or any strong liquid glue.

That worked well, thanks for the tip. I am going to test it out overnight to see if the glue holds up but feels like it should be no problem.
descalabro likes this.
post #5715 of 6650 Old 03-01-2019, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

When I originally built my theater room I was planning to do the all black treatment. Even though it is a dedicated room the wife did not like the idea and as a compromise we went with a dark burgundy wall and ceiling paint and matching velvet curtains on the screen wall, sides and top. My question is if it is worthwhile to replace the velvet with black instead. Will it make a difference?
post #5716 of 6650 Old 03-02-2019, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1271 Post(s)
Liked: 430
I need some ideas of what I can do for my light colored carpet. I saw somewhere on here someone covered theirs with black high pile bath mats. Lol. That actually doesn’t sound bad. I only need to cover like 3-4 feet out from the screen, and the width of the screen.

Any thoughts?
post #5717 of 6650 Old 03-02-2019, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
I need some ideas of what I can do for my light colored carpet. I saw somewhere on here someone covered theirs with black high pile bath mats. Lol. That actually doesn’t sound bad. I only need to cover like 3-4 feet out from the screen, and the width of the screen.

Any thoughts?
What I did that worked out really well is that I used A strip of wood 2" square and to that stapled the velvet to it, one strip of wood on both ends of the velvet the width of the velvet. This way it can be removed for vacuming and it also stays nice and straight. I did it just the width of my velvet, but I've been thinking about making another one up for more coverage. This is on top of black carpet.

2 Channel: Fi 2A3 mono's,Hovland HP100,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's for LCR, Side and Rear Surrounds. Jbl SCS8'S for Fr Heights, and Rear Heights,2 Epik Empire Subs,2 Behringer B1200D Midbass Subs,Marantz 7702MK2,Proceed Amp-5,Outlaw 7125,Panasonic UB820 ,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS600. Black Velvet.
post #5718 of 6650 Old 03-02-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post

Any thoughts?
Black shag runners are available in many lengths and widths. Or you can have a local shop sew an edge to make a runner a perfect fit. It should cost less than $100 to get a single rug that fits the space and will look infinitely better than a bunch of bath mats lined up.
post #5719 of 6650 Old 03-02-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I use a roll of black felt. I have to roll it every time I use the projector, but my room isn’t dedicated. The shag cut by measure should do a better job cutting the light and is also better as Hairs and particles won’t adhere to it.

post #5720 of 6650 Old 03-02-2019, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
Looks great!

I started out with a black ceiling and then went to velvet panels on the ceiling. It was the single biggest improvement I have made to my theatre.

I have since added another row of velvet panels to the ceiling since this picture was taken.
Hard to tell from the pics seems like you have panels on the walls as well?
post #5721 of 6650 Old 03-02-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
You're welcome. I must say that I didn't pay enough attention to the boards you first linked to, so I thought they were thicker. The reason why I suggested PVC/kapa line is because it's lighter. But, anyways, the boards you've mentioned are stronger and the magnets should hold them if you're sure those cross sections have good attraction to magnets. But, again, it seems to me that screwing the magnet rings is more work than needed, and you should avoid it unless you're absolutely sure the screw heads won't compromise a perfect contact between the magnets and the cross sections; just think how much less work it would be to just sit a drop of glue for each magnet.

I hadn't really considered the option of simply replacing the current panels for the ones covered in velvet; or instead of replacing them, just slide the new ones beneath them. For the cross sections, before thinking about using magnets, you could buy one of those rolls of black velvet tape and try to test with a sample how much residue they leave on the cross sections after removal. This velvet tape will probably not look as dark as triple velvet, but I wouldn't care about that.

If you still want to consider some hanging-with-magnets options, here's 2 other materials that may work:

- 0,2 or 0,3 mm zinc sheets. Zinc holds very strongly to neodymium magnets, and although it isn't lightweight, with this thickness it's not going to be too much weight if you don't spare the magnets (and as long as those cross sections have good attraction to magnets too). This would save you the task of gluing the magnets, thus giving you a lot more freedom to try different placements.
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1pc-H...805544919.html

- 0,3mm PVC sheets, with magnets glued to them. Very lightweight, but much more flexible than the zinc sheets. Choose one that's porous so that the glue will hold better.

Since these materials are flexible, here's a mounting suggestion:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?usp=sharing

These two options should be less expensive than what we've discussed so far.

Finally, there's this kind of very thin "rigid" PVC (I don't know the price):
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...2d46VGvjqn&s=p

Notice that you'll probably find these materials at lower prices if you buy them to dedicated vendors than to big stores like Home Depot.

Indeed!
Thanks. I checked out all those options you listed. They are all significantly more expensive than the 1/8" sheets from Home Depot once you buy enough to cover my area and especially once you add shipping costs. I'm pretty sure I will go with one of the two options I listed since I can't see any downside. I like the installation grid you laid out. I'll likely play with that option to see how it looks. My velvet has already been shipped. I should see it next week. I'll have to make a run to Home Depot.

Rick
descalabro likes this.
post #5722 of 6650 Old 03-02-2019, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I checked out all those options you listed. They are all significantly more expensive than the 1/8" sheets from Home Depot once you buy enough to cover my area and especially once you add shipping costs. I'm pretty sure I will go with one of the two options I listed since I can't see any downside. I like the installation grid you laid out. I'll likely play with that option to see how it looks. My velvet has already been shipped. I should see it next week. I'll have to make a run to Home Depot.

Rick

Ok then. Make sure you show us before and after results.

post #5723 of 6650 Old 03-02-2019, 04:13 PM

Absolutely. Thanks for all the time you spent helping me!

Rick

post #5724 of 6650 Old 03-02-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

Rick
How much do those boards weigh? I'm assuming not much being 1/8". Problem with wood is bowing, especially that thin. Guess you'll have to be sure to use enough magnets to stick to the grid. I'm anxious to see how this turns out as I think I'm going to try this on mine as well. I was thinking of the Foam Boards from Home depot, but thinking that hard board may be better. I think the glued magnets to the hard board would hold better than on the Foam Board. When you take your pictures, if you do use Magnets, if you could let us know which ones you used and if they work well, that would be great.

I was a little shocked to see how much the Triple Black Velvet increased on Amazon. I purchased some just a few months ago for about $130. I see it's now over $170 . I have a little bit left from my first project (covered my corner bass traps, 4 feet out on each side wall from the bass trap in the corners, covered my LCR speakers and horizontal masking for my screen.), but I don't believe it's enough. I'll need just a bit more. Hate to pay that much when I don't need a lot more, but I'll probably add a little bit more on the side walls if I have it
post #5725 of 6650 Old 03-02-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
How much do those boards weigh? I'm assuming not much being 1/8". Problem with wood is bowing, especially that thin. Guess you'll have to be sure to use enough magnets to stick to the grid. I'm anxious to see how this turns out as I think I'm going to try this on mine as well. I was thinking of the Foam Boards from Home depot, but thinking that hard board may be better. I think the glued magnets to the hard board would hold better than on the Foam Board. When you take your pictures, if you do use Magnets, if you could let us know which ones you used and if they work well, that would be great.

I was a little shocked to see how much the Triple Black Velvet increased on Amazon. I purchased some just a few months ago for about $130. I see it's now over $170 . I have a little bit left from my first project (covered my corner bass traps, 4 feet out on each side wall from the bass trap in the corners, covered my LCR speakers and horizontal masking for my screen.), but I don't believe it's enough. I'll need just a bit more. Hate to pay that much when I don't need a lot more, but I'll probably add a little bit more on the side walls if I have it
I ordered extra on purpose because I figured I'd be doing more stuff too. I may do some wall and other nearby reflective items.

I'm worried about bowing as well. I'll likely opt to put them inside the grid since that provides support on all edges and gets them away from my screen more. Since the sections will be 2' x 4' I don't think they will sag. If the Eucalyptus board seems significantly more rigid, I may pay a little more and get that. With it being white I'm not sure whether that will show though the velvet or not. if I had to paint it black that would be a annoying extra step. I have some of the brown board around. If I have a big enough chunk I will cut a 2' x 4' piece and try it.
Rick

post #5726 of 6650 Old 03-02-2019, 05:34 PM

I got some more info on the Eucalyptus board.

It weighs 22.5 Lbs for a sheet so each 2' x 4' section would be 5.625 lbs.
I may have to beef up the grid hangers. This is a definite disadvantage over likely lighter thin PVC board.

As far as rigidity, one person said:
It is not as stiff as plywood, but if it is anchored at frequent intervals, with construction adhesive and screws it will hang flat. If you are trying to use this as a ceiling material it will need to be glued and/or anchored at intervals no greater than 12 inches, otherwise it will have some sag.

I'm not quite sure how that translates to being secured on all edges, but I think it counts out magnets unless I would use a lot. They would add weight too.

I think I'll hit up the local art store and Michaels to see what kind of 2'x4' sheets they have.

Rick

Last edited by rdlohr; 03-02-2019 at 05:38 PM.
post #5727 of 6650 Old 03-02-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I may have to beef up the grid hangers. This is a definite disadvantage over likely lighter thin PVC board.

It is not as stiff as plywood, but if it is anchored at frequent intervals, with construction adhesive and screws it will hang flat. If you are trying to use this as a ceiling material it will need to be glued and/or anchored at intervals no greater than 12 inches, otherwise it will have some sag.

I'm not quite sure how that translates to being secured on all edges, but I think it counts out magnets unless I would use a lot. They would add weight too.

I think I'll hit up the local art store and Michaels to see what kind of 2'x4' sheets they have.

Rick
Hmmm, I'm judging from the prices in my country (Portugal), and I'm thinking there have to be better solutions.

I've looked on this UK website (which is a little more expensive than here), and these prices are affordable:

https://www.cutplasticsheeting.co.uk...polypropylene/

Choose 1mm thinkness, natural polypropylene, around 122cm x 61cm (should be 4' x 2'). Price will be £5.46 inc. VAT (around $6.5)

I know that you would have to add shipping costs, but there's got to be something like this in the US too, and probably a vendor near your area. And flexible polypropylene (which you'll likely find on said art store) is surely a lot cheaper, but in this case I'm not sure about if it will stay flat, because neodymium magnets have a pretty strong hold, but as any magnet they may slide sideways and allow for the sheets to arch.

Then there's another material called platex (masonite board in the US, I think), of which a perforated board with 3mm thickness and the size you need is sold for around €7,79 (around $9):
https://www.aki.pt/madeiras-e-constr...mm-p34389.aspx This is 4.2 lbs per board.

Then there's MDF (medium density fiberboard) panels, with the same measures and a weight of 2.4 lbs per board, around $4 each:
https://www.aki.pt/madeiras-e-constr...RoCM1gQAvD_BwE

Is it possible that the hardware stores in the US don't sell these kinds of processed materials for similar prices?

Last edited by descalabro; 03-02-2019 at 06:30 PM.
post #5728 of 6650 Old 03-02-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

Rick
My suspended ceiling uses 12 gauge wire hangers. That's to be sure it can hold the weight of 2' x 2' Drywall Tiles. I purchased Black Grids. I had to paint my tiles a flat black. It was OK with my older setup with a 14 year old Panasonic Projector. It was only 750 lumens per specs, which means lower in real life applications, and even lower once calibrated. I believe I saw something that it was around 400 lumens or less once calibrated. I was also shining it on a DIY Blackout cloth Screen. The screen was 100". Now I am using a 2200 Lumen Projector on a 1.1 Gain Screen that is 120" rather than 100". Meaning screen is closer to the ceiling now, bigger, brighter and more reflection on the ceiling.

My original thought was to wrap velvet over my tiles too. But, I didn't really want to go through the hassle of purchasing felt tape and cutting it to size and putting over my rails. Although they are already black, they reflect light quite a bit. When I read the suggestion to use Foam Boards with Velvet, then glued magnets to the back to attach to the Rails of the Suspended ceiling, I took a magnet downstairs to see if they would stick. All these years, I never knew those things were magnetic. I think that will be my best option. I think it was more difficult for you since you have very limited room from ceiling to screen.
post #5729 of 6650 Old 03-02-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post
My original thought was to wrap velvet over my tiles too. But, I didn't really want to go through the hassle of purchasing felt tape and cutting it to size and putting over my rails. Although they are already black, they reflect light quite a bit. When I read the suggestion to use Foam Boards with Velvet, then glued magnets to the back to attach to the Rails of the Suspended ceiling, I took a magnet downstairs to see if they would stick. All these years, I never knew those things were magnetic. I think that will be my best option. I think it was more difficult for you since you have very limited room from ceiling to screen.
I suggest you get magnets like these, 8mm x 2 mm should be good. It's unbelievable the grip these magnets have.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-100pcs...F1SA:rk:1:pf:0
post #5730 of 6650 Old 03-02-2019, 07:44 PM

How about plain old thick cardboard. You can get large sheets and put magnets on as many places as you want.

I think these are the answer fellas: $43.95 shipped for 20 2'x4' double sheets
https://www.amazon.com/Aviditi-SP244...gateway&sr=8-4

I pulled the trigger and Amazon Prime will get me these in 2 days.

UPDATE: Hold off, the reviews on these are really bad. They come folded and banged up.
Rick

Here are others I looked at:

The larger ones are too big to ship.
https://www.papermart.com/double-thi...s-pads/id=4655

These are 2' x 4'. The whole bundle of 25 is 24 lbs. We could even double them if a single layer was not rigid enough.
The price is about $45 shipped.
https://www.papermart.com/brown-corr...Number=2612448

Here is a similar product from a different vendor that ends up being ~$65 shipped since it's not enough for free shipping. It's likely stronger than the last one.
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...orrugated-Pads

These are interesting. These are 4' x 4', plastic, and they come in black.
They are a bit more pricey though at $159.
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...ted-Pads-Black

Double layer (about 1.52 lbs each and plenty of spare since min bundle is 25):
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...orrugated-Pads
$64.25 + shipping
descalabro likes this.

Last edited by rdlohr; 03-03-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page