The Blacker the Theater, The Better the Image - Page 209 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2953Likes

post #6241 of 6653 Old 07-05-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
Not me. Almost every thread online about wanting a new home theater or even a basic 2 channel stereo, men are being victimized by ruthless women that refuse to allow such things albeit speakers are too big, not the right color, in the wrong location... don't claim you don't see men complaining about all the restriction on them when they want to embrace this hobby. You would be a liar if you do.
10 years ago my wife gave up our honeymoon so I could start this Hobby because she understood it was a lifelong dream of mine. So it would be selfish of me not to take her concerns into all decisions for the home theater. It has been a great compromise between two loving individuals and I believe I have an amazing theater. I know I have an amazing wife.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6242 of 6653 Old 07-05-2019, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 94
n/m
post #6243 of 6653 Old 07-05-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Not me. Almost every thread online about wanting a new home theater or even a basic 2 channel stereo, men are being victimized by ruthless women that refuse to allow such things albeit speakers are too big, not the right color, in the wrong location... don't claim you don't see men complaining about all the restriction on them when they want to embrace this hobby. You would be a liar if you do.

I have seen a lot of those post too. Just make sure you are with the right one. I remember sitting on the couch with my wife and suggesting that we should build a theater onto our house. She was all for it and even helped pay for it. I definitely wouldn’t have it right now if it wasn’t for her. She was even ok changing the new dark brown carpet out for black, which is kinda crazy looking back lol. I dated some of the women that you are talking about, but I didn’t marry them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6244 of 6653 Old 07-05-2019, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
10 years ago my wife gave up our honeymoon so I could start this Hobby because she understood it was a lifelong dream of mine. So it would be selfish of me not to take her concerns into all decisions for the home theater. It has been a great compromise between two loving individuals and I believe I have an amazing theater. I know I have an amazing wife.

It was bait

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #6245 of 6653 Old 07-05-2019, 11:49 AM

I think the fact that I am holding all her favorite movies hostage till the theater is done works in my favor.
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #6246 of 6653 Old 07-05-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The idea of doing something that makes the husband happy already makes the wife unhappy. They're not content unless their men are treated like dogs and servants.
Several post down you state that you are holding your wife's movies hostage until the theater is complete? I mean you made the statement above and you are actually married. I mean your statement seems like a lot of hostility towards women just being honest I'm very surprised you are married. Just curious what your wife would think if she were reading this thread and she very well could be LOL. But she married you I guess she already knows the man you are.

post #6247 of 6653 Old 07-05-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Several post down you state that you are holding your wife's movies hostage until the theater is complete? I mean you made the statement above and you are actually married. I mean your statement seems like a lot of hostility towards women just being honest I'm very surprised you are married. Just curious what your wife would think if she were reading this thread and she very well could be LOL. But she married you I guess she already knows the man you are.

She wants me to hurry up and finish the theater.
post #6248 of 6653 Old 07-05-2019, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
I call them loosers. Marriage is about mutual understanding, not one way street.

And all those men are with the wrong women then.
post #6249 of 6653 Old 07-05-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMiguel View Post
Good morning all, I'm in the process of convincing my wife on darkening our home theater room 16x12 room upstairs with 3 windows. Walls are light color and ceiling is white. (See attached Pic)

So i guess Paint or get some fabric? My wife is very picky and im worry that she wont like the fabric joints.. i guess i can use some wood with fabric around it to cover the fabric joints to make it look good... but then again not sure it it will look as nice as regular paint. I think ill have higher approval chances going with paint

If i do go for paint, can you recommend a color and brand that i can get at homedepot/lowes?

The ambient light under the door and around the window will diminish a lot of the efforts with paint or velvet.
ARROW-AV likes this.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #6250 of 6653 Old 07-08-2019, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Yes, the Whaley's is without a doubt the most acoustically transparent.

I just updated my review, which now covers this information

Has anyone found a good place to purchase Whaley's from the US?

If not, is this still the best velvet to buy on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EEJSG90...v_ov_lig_dp_it
post #6251 of 6653 Old 07-08-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMiguel View Post
Good morning all, I'm in the process of convincing my wife on darkening our home theater room 16x12 room upstairs with 3 windows. Walls are light color and ceiling is white. (See attached Pic)

So i guess Paint or get some fabric? My wife is very picky and im worry that she wont like the fabric joints.. i guess i can use some wood with fabric around it to cover the fabric joints to make it look good... but then again not sure it it will look as nice as regular paint. I think ill have higher approval chances going with paint

If i do go for paint, can you recommend a color and brand that i can get at homedepot/lowes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
The ambient light under the door and around the window will diminish a lot of the efforts with paint or velvet.
Cannot overstate what Jive Turkey has pointed out. This thread is about controlling reflections in the room for that last little bit of contrast, but you should save your money on room treatment and focus on that window, door (door sweep!), and the LEDs on devices up front. Start with some electrical tape to cover the red LED on the back of the subwoofer or whatever that is blasting the wall up front. Consider a pulldown roller blind behind the curtains, in velvet-lined U-Channel if you really want it dark. No wall treatment is going to fix the shadows on the screen. First control light coming into the room, then deal with the light generated in the room.

Also, I would say that your wife will probably prefer properly applied fabric over paint, but even the dark paint won't be as overwhelming as one expects before seeing it. A black ceiling really just disappears, but a nice gray is still helpful.

Edit: There do not have to be fabric joints, if you don't want them. The fabric edges can be behind trim. For example, columns spaced at the width of the fabric run vertically on the walls, or a chair rail at the height of the joint with fabric run horizontally. Crown or other trim to make up the difference if using narrow fabrics. On the ceiling you can do a coffered tray ceiling trim.

Last edited by ScottAvery; 07-08-2019 at 03:13 PM.
post #6252 of 6653 Old 07-09-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, the Whaley's is without a doubt the most acoustically transparent.

I just updated my review, which now covers this information

One more question, could Whaley's be used for AT screen masking, or is it translucent? Would it appear black or gray when pulled over a white screen with little space between?

I have plenty of GOM 701 in black available that I could use for masking, which is definitely gray compared to velvet. Wondering if Whaleys is better. Would prefer a more consistent ALL black look than some grayish masking.
post #6253 of 6653 Old 07-10-2019, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
This is with respect to replicating the light source direction and viewing position that you would experience in a home theater. In other words, all the velvet fabrics, which are all directional, are positioned with light sources eminating from in front, washing across the fabric, with you perceiving from the rear; which is essentially what will be happening with projected image, walls/ceiling, and viewing position:

In this regard the WHALEY'S very slightly outperforms the TRIPLE BLACK VELVET, the both of which outperform the FIDELIO

And here's the comparative performances when viewed head on perpendicular, with an additional light source positioned in front:

In this instance, the WHALEY'S very, very slightly outperforms the FIDELIO, the both of which outperform the TRIPLE BLACK VELVET.

ALL of these materials have a sheen, but it is directional, so is typically on visible when viewed from the 'wrong direction'. It is therefore very important to position the fabric in the 'right direction'. The Fidelio is the least prone with respect to a sheen.

Whilst the Triple Black Velvet performs almost as good as the Whaley's when used for side walls and ceilings, it does not perform as good as either the Whaley's or the Fidelio when viewed head on perpendicular, wherein you can see its sheen a bit as well, so personally I would not choose to use it for the front wall, screen frame, or screen masking; where I would use either the Whaley's for Fidelio for this instead. And in fact, due to fact it is least prone with respect to a sheen, and performs almost the same as the Whaley's when viewed perpendicularly head on, I consider the Fidelio the best material of choice for screen frames and screen masking.

The Triple Black Velvet is excellent for side walls and ceilings and I really think that in the darkened environment of a home theater you won't be able to perceive any difference as compared with the Whaley's; but if used for the front wall, screen frame, or screen masking you will

Consequently, I rank the performance of these materials with respect to home theater usage as per follows:

SIDE WALLS AND CEILINGS:

1st = WHALEY'S
2nd = TRIPLE BLACK VELVET
3rd = FIDELIO

FRONT WALL:

1st = WHALEY'S
2nd = FIDELIO
3rd = TRIPLE BLACK VELVET

SCREEN FRAME AND MASKING:

1st = FIDELIO
2nd = WHALEY'S
3rd = TRIPLE BLACK VELVET

What's the going rate on these three options per yard?

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofer: MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D.
post #6254 of 6653 Old 07-10-2019, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

Because men don't embellish stories for effect and humor with their buddies. And women don't tell similar stories to their female friends. Please. You're making a mountain of a molehill.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #6255 of 6653 Old 07-10-2019, 11:30 PM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 258 Post(s)
Quoted: 4111 Post(s)
Liked: 6641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
One more question, could Whaley's be used for AT screen masking
Yes

Quote:
or is it translucent?
No

Quote:
Would it appear black or gray when pulled over a white screen with little space between?
Black

post #6256 of 6653 Old 07-10-2019, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5232 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
Quote:
As long as it's a dedicated room, the wife shouldn't have anything to say about what colors to paint etc. It's totally different if it's the middle of your living room. But a dedicated room should easily be out of sight for those not using it. My wife lets me do whatever I want regarding these things.
Jive Turkey and ARROW-AV like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #6257 of 6653 Old 07-10-2019, 11:40 PM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post
Has anyone found a good place to purchase Whaley's from the US?
The Whaley's is not available for purchase from the US; however, Whaley's ships to the US, so you can purchase it directly from them using the link that I previously posted

post #6258 of 6653 Old 07-10-2019, 11:42 PM
We're Nuts About AV

post #6259 of 6653 Old 07-11-2019, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
You have white carpet in your home theater?

Yes - unfortunately. Matches the rest of the house.
post #6260 of 6653 Old 07-11-2019, 04:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Unhappy Rosco black paint on my carpet!

Well, besides me not being happy, the wife!!
I decided to paint my already black suspended ceiling tiles and grids (oh, the wife said it wasn't necessary, already black! But we know better!). I had an accident and spilled some Rosco paint on the carpet, an area that wasn't fully covered by my tarp. The more I tried to wipe it the worse it got.
It's about a 2' diameter spot. So far I have used Resolve spray bottle carpet cleaner, a brush, wet towels, and a hand steam cleaner. I'm now heading to Home Depot to pick up some carpet shampoo for my carpet cleaning machine. I did get a lot of it out but you can still see it. Any ideas on cleaning my mess?

Pioneer UDP-LX500 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Emotiva A-300 2ch amp | Emotiva PA-1 monoblock | JVC DLA-RS1000 Projector | Mini DSP 4x2 | Dune HD Smart D1 | ZIDOO Z9S | Buttkicker system | HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs(2) | HSU MBM-12 MK2 Mid bass module | Klipsch RP-8000F(2) | Klipsch RP-504C | Klipsch RS-62 II(2) | Polk RC80i Ceiling(4) | Carada 134” screen | unRAID 40TB

Last edited by Tom899; 07-11-2019 at 06:45 AM.
post #6261 of 6653 Old 07-11-2019, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post
Well, besides me not being happy, the wife!!
I decided to paint my already black suspended ceiling tiles and grids (oh, the wife said it wasn't necessary, already black!). I had an accident and spilled some Rosco paint on the carpet, an area that wasn't fully covered by my tarp. The more I tried to wipe it the worse it got.
It's about a 2' diameter spot. So far I have used Resolve spray bottle carpet cleaner, a brush, wet towels, and a hand steam cleaner. I'm now heading to Home Depot to pick up some carpet shampoo for my carpet cleaning machine. I did get a lot of it out but you can still see it. Any ideas on cleaning my mess?
Another subwoofer?

Jeffg8, warwwolf7, nofire and 1 others like this.
post #6262 of 6653 Old 07-11-2019, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Another subwoofer?

Not a bad idea!

Pioneer UDP-LX500 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Emotiva A-300 2ch amp | Emotiva PA-1 monoblock | JVC DLA-RS1000 Projector | Mini DSP 4x2 | Dune HD Smart D1 | ZIDOO Z9S | Buttkicker system | HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs(2) | HSU MBM-12 MK2 Mid bass module | Klipsch RP-8000F(2) | Klipsch RP-504C | Klipsch RS-62 II(2) | Polk RC80i Ceiling(4) | Carada 134” screen | unRAID 40TB
post #6263 of 6653 Old 07-11-2019, 05:11 AM
We're Nuts About AV

post #6264 of 6653 Old 07-11-2019, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Me personally, I'd replace it

Not sure my wife would like that. I think I’m going to cover a large portion of it with velvet.
post #6265 of 6653 Old 07-11-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12542 Post(s)
Liked: 10154
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
As long as it's a dedicated room, the wife shouldn't have anything to say about what colors to paint etc. It's totally different if it's the middle of your living room. But a dedicated room should easily be out of sight for those not using it. My wife lets me do whatever I want regarding these things.
Same here and I don't ask. The room is mine to do with as I please and my wife is fine with that.
Jive Turkey and ARROW-AV like this.
post #6266 of 6653 Old 07-11-2019, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Same here and I don't ask. The room is mine to do with as I please and my wife is fine with that.
Me too! Until I start spilling paint on the carpet! I think she's over it already, but I'm not.
jorgebetancourt likes this.

post #6267 of 6653 Old 07-11-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked: 1832
@ScottieBoysName, gotta get some black velvet! It really does make a difference. If not, a big black rug,
post #6268 of 6653 Old 07-11-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
What's the going rate on these three options per yard?
From my recollection, Whaleys is around $25 a yard imported in bulk, and the Fidelio is $12/foot $36/yard. The price has gone up on triple velvet but still in the $5 a yard neighborhood. Whaleys direct from manufacturer, Seymour carries Fidelio, and Amazon has triple velvet in 30 yard bolts for the best rate.

edit: misremembered Fidelio...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Not sure my wife would like that. I think I’m going to cover a large portion of it with velvet.
A shag area rug will be fine, Scottie. You can walk on it and it won't look out of place on top of wall to wall.

Last edited by ScottAvery; 07-11-2019 at 02:41 PM.
post #6269 of 6653 Old 07-11-2019, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I updated my movie tent by purchasing velvet cloth. the results are much better with less glare and easier to hang.

www.movietent.ca
http://movietent.ca
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_190828.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	2589848   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_191156.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2589850   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_191507.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2589852   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_191940.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2589854   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190710_192506.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2589856  

post #6270 of 6653 Old 07-11-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The WHALEY'S BLACK VELVET DEVORE is blacker than the FIDELIO and so is STILL the blackest material that I have tested, totalling 44 number materials now

Just found this going back looking for Fidelio source. I am confused. I thought it was a specialty item and was not for clothing. The link above appears to be standard consumer velvet. http://www.seymourav.com/store.asp has it by the foot, equivalent to $36 a yard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page