The Blacker the Theater, The Better the Image - Page 214 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2868Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6391 of 6532 Old 08-22-2019, 11:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
There's a big problem with Vantablack... You can't / mustn't touch it

People shouldn't smoke.. but they do anyways.
wookiegr is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6392 of 6532 Old 08-22-2019, 12:07 PM
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,363
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4002 Post(s)
Liked: 6510
ARROW-AV is offline  
post #6393 of 6532 Old 08-22-2019, 12:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Except you aren't 100% guaranteed to drop dead immediately after smoking your first cigarette...

It would be exciting to have to sign a disclaimer and wear a radiation suit to enter ones home theater. It would likely be the very last "Home Theater of the Month" awarded from AVS Staff.
wookiegr is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6394 of 6532 Old 08-22-2019, 12:32 PM
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,363
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4002 Post(s)
Liked: 6510
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
It would be exciting to have to sign a disclaimer and wear a radiation suit to enter ones home theater. It would likely be the very last "Home Theater of the Month" awarded from AVS Staff.
Sorry, to clarify I am not saying that Vantablack is toxic... One touch and it is ruined. So whilst all well and good for coating the insides of telescopes and the like, unfortunately it is not suitable for use with respect to exposed surfaces.

I know this because I actually contacted the manufacturer to inquire as to whether I could use it in home theater builds

ARROW-AV is offline  
post #6395 of 6532 Old 08-22-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kelvin1965S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 3,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I (still) haven't fully finished my room treatment, but I had some visitors recently and they wanted to watch a film on my projector. I've got 3 metre deep Devore side curtains, a Devore cover for the area immediately below my screen (which is light oak). Also a lift up 'door' above the screen with Devore lining on the underneath. This door is only 30cm deep, but still helps with the initial off ceiling reflection: Further plan is a width of Devore that will clip to the door and cover approx 1.5 metre out across the ceiling, creating a Devore 'tunnel'.

Even as it stands my guests were impressed with the image quality and commented about how the curtains helped them focus on just the screen and blotting out the rest of the room. Seeing as non of them are AV fanatics, it was good to hear their views on the impact of the Devore.

I've seen some comments elsewhere that Devore is reflective and not as good as some more recent options available on eBay or similar, but I have no issues and can't 'see' the material even on very bright scenes. Interesting to see Arrow's testing and comments too.

Thumbnail sized picture attached to this post as I can't do a full size one: The first one is a view in daylight with it set up for projection viewing. The other one is my normal TV viewing mode, with the Devore pushed back to the sides, the top door closed and the below screen cover removed. The TV goes up and down on an electric lift.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Projector mode less top sheet.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	2605998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finish door closed.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	2606000  
notfastenough and howiee like this.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet". William Shakespeare 1615

Last edited by Kelvin1965S; 08-22-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Kelvin1965S is offline  
post #6396 of 6532 Old 08-22-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottAvery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Great Falls, VA
Posts: 1,715
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post
Also a lift up 'door' above the screen with Devore lining on the underneath. This door is only 30cm deep, but still helps with the initial off ceiling reflection.
That is really clever! Theatrical curtains to cover the projection screen when using the TV would improve performance of the TV and protect the screen from prying hands.
Kelvin1965S likes this.
ScottAvery is offline  
post #6397 of 6532 Old 08-22-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kelvin1965S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 3,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I find the neutral background for the TV (with the downlights set to suitable level) works really well. Curtains* would cover the LCR speakers too (it's Seymour XD AT material), which are slightly above where the TV is. I had ideas to try to disguise the screen more, but we've got used to seeing it that it's kind of 'hiding in plain sight'.

*The price of the other curtains in the room would have made a drop down AT screen seem cheap...I let my wife deal with that though, I just did the work on the room.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet". William Shakespeare 1615
Kelvin1965S is offline  
post #6398 of 6532 Old 08-22-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sage11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 6,552
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2725 Post(s)
Liked: 2706
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
There's a big problem with Vantablack... You can't / mustn't touch it

Yes, I'm realizing that the sarcasm/humor didn't come through in my post. I figured when the narrator of the video mentioned that it was extremely dangerous to inhale the stuff and with all the scientists holding it with robber gloves and masks and applying it in clean boxes that that point would come across but... apparently not. The internet has ruined subtlety.
ARROW-AV likes this.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sage11x is offline  
post #6399 of 6532 Old 08-22-2019, 03:40 PM
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,363
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4002 Post(s)
Liked: 6510
OK so I have completed my evaluation of the ROSCO TOUGH PRIME vs ROSCO SUPERSAT vs VIDEO TV PAINT and here are the results

This is with respect to the home theater environment, wherein the light source is the video display / projected image, the viewing position is the seating positions, and the painted surfaces are the ceiling and/or side walls

LEFT SIDE WALL - VIEWED FROM CENTRE OF SEATING ROW:




LEFT SIDE WALL - VIEWED FROM LEFT SIDE OF SEATING ROW:




LEFT SIDE WALL - VIEWED FROM RIGHT SIDE OF SEATING ROW:




In short, the ROSCO VIDEO TV PAINT behaves similar to the TOUGH PRIME however with respect to the lighting and viewing positions associated with home theater environments slightly outperforms it

wwtech and Gilmour like this.
ARROW-AV is offline  
post #6400 of 6532 Old 08-22-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
farsider3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,829
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
OK so I have completed my evaluation of the ROSCO TOUGH PRIME vs ROSCO SUPERSAT vs VIDEO TV PAINT and here are the results



This is with respect to the home theater environment, wherein the light source is the video display / projected image, the viewing position is the seating positions, and the painted surfaces are the ceiling and/or side walls



LEFT SIDE WALL - VIEWED FROM CENTRE OF SEATING ROW:









LEFT SIDE WALL - VIEWED FROM LEFT SIDE OF SEATING ROW:









LEFT SIDE WALL - VIEWED FROM RIGHT SIDE OF SEATING ROW:









In short, the ROSCO VIDEO TV PAINT behaves similar to the TOUGH PRIME however with respect to the lighting and viewing positions associated with home theater environments slightly outperforms it





Thank you! I was waiting for your test before I ordered my paint.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5 for surround & ceiling
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1, 2 Seaton Submersive (FOR SALE)
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
farsider3000 is offline  
post #6401 of 6532 Old 08-22-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
Thank you! I was waiting for your test before I ordered my paint.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you doing this. I assume velvet is still best and the Rosco TV paint being a bit further back in reducing light reflections onto the screen.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #6402 of 6532 Old 08-22-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
farsider3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,829
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Thank you doing this. I assume velvet is still best and the Rosco TV paint being a bit further back in reducing light reflections onto the screen.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Velvet is still orders of magnitude better than paint.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
coxy2416 and ARROW-AV like this.

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5 for surround & ceiling
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1, 2 Seaton Submersive (FOR SALE)
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
farsider3000 is offline  
post #6403 of 6532 Old 08-22-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
Velvet is still orders of magnitude better than paint.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
100% agree I went dark black triple velvet two years ago. Best thing I ever did for my viewing experience.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
coxy2416 and ARROW-AV like this.
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #6404 of 6532 Old 08-23-2019, 12:55 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In terms of a anti reflective ceiling solution for a general purpose room, i wonder why no one has marketed or adapted one of these(outdoor retractable awning) ? A light weight version that’s black .. would this work ?


Was thinking of buying a cheap awning and adapting it with black fabric and installing it indoors over the screen? Retracted when not in use but some can extend this to 3mtrs up front?

Partner that with drop down blinds for your light coloured walls too ?

With this all electric and controlled by remote would look pretty cool!

Ps new account can’t post examples or links yet to show
Wil Wong is offline  
post #6405 of 6532 Old 08-23-2019, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil Wong View Post
In terms of a anti reflective ceiling solution for a general purpose room, i wonder why no one has marketed or adapted one of these(outdoor retractable awning) ? A light weight version that’s black .. would this work ?





Was thinking of buying a cheap awning and adapting it with black fabric and installing it indoors over the screen? Retracted when not in use but some can extend this to 3mtrs up front?



Partner that with drop down blinds for your light coloured walls too ?



With this all electric and controlled by remote would look pretty cool!



Ps new account can’t post examples or links yet to show
Look a couple pages back. Someone in this thread already uses a similar setup to what you described. Pretty ingenious.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Wil Wong likes this.
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #6406 of 6532 Old 08-23-2019, 02:58 AM
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,363
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4002 Post(s)
Liked: 6510
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Thank you doing this. I assume velvet is still best and the Rosco TV paint being a bit further back in reducing light reflections onto the screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
Velvet is still orders of magnitude better than paint.
In terms of performance VELVET > FLOCKING > PAINT

ARROW-AV is offline  
post #6407 of 6532 Old 08-23-2019, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
I am glad that I caught onto this thread, as going black triple velvet has not only increased my viewing experience, but also lets me enjoy flicks from my home!
Thanks to all in this thread for keeping the dream alive.
llang269 likes this.
lizrussspike is offline  
post #6408 of 6532 Old 08-23-2019, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,166
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
I am glad that I caught onto this thread, as going black triple velvet has not only increased my viewing experience, but also lets me enjoy flicks from my home!
Thanks to all in this thread for keeping the dream alive.
Amen to that brother. Welcome to the dark side.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
lizrussspike likes this.
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #6409 of 6532 Old 08-23-2019, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 321
@arrow -71
Do you still have to dilute the video tv paint.. I still have no idea how to dilute them.. say i was to buy a gallon of this how much water would it use per gallon?

Once it dries can you touch it or does it leave a mark like other flat black paints..
jorgebetancourt is offline  
post #6410 of 6532 Old 08-23-2019, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
monstosity12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Yes, it's very good. In case you missed it here's my evaluation and review of the top 3 velvet materials, wherein with respect to the primary application of side walls, ceilings, and speakers etc. (which is the first / top photo below) the Whaley's and the Triple Black Velvet are very very close in performance



Which Whaley’s velvet are you referring to on their website (when you were comparing Fidelio and triple black velvet).

Want to order some whaleys. Thanks

Edit: is it the devore
monstosity12 is offline  
post #6411 of 6532 Old 08-24-2019, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
farsider3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,829
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 View Post
Which Whaley’s velvet are you referring to on their website (when you were comparing Fidelio and triple black velvet).

Want to order some whaleys. Thanks

Edit: is it the devore
It's listed as "Silk/Viscose Velvet Black (Devore)" according to the link Arrow had in one of his posts.

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5 for surround & ceiling
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1, 2 Seaton Submersive (FOR SALE)
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
farsider3000 is offline  
post #6412 of 6532 Old 08-25-2019, 02:43 AM
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,363
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4002 Post(s)
Liked: 6510
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 View Post
Which Whaley’s velvet are you referring to on their website (when you were comparing Fidelio and triple black velvet).

Want to order some whaleys. Thanks

Edit: is it the devore
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
It's listed as "Silk/Viscose Velvet Black (Devore)" according to the link Arrow had in one of his posts.
https://www.whaleys-bradford.ltd.uk/...t-black-devore


ARROW-AV is offline  
post #6413 of 6532 Old 08-25-2019, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post
I (still) haven't fully finished my room treatment, but I had some visitors recently and they wanted to watch a film on my projector. I've got 3 metre deep Devore side curtains, a Devore cover for the area immediately below my screen (which is light oak). Also a lift up 'door' above the screen with Devore lining on the underneath. This door is only 30cm deep, but still helps with the initial off ceiling reflection: Further plan is a width of Devore that will clip to the door and cover approx 1.5 metre out across the ceiling, creating a Devore 'tunnel'.

Even as it stands my guests were impressed with the image quality and commented about how the curtains helped them focus on just the screen and blotting out the rest of the room. Seeing as non of them are AV fanatics, it was good to hear their views on the impact of the Devore.

I've seen some comments elsewhere that Devore is reflective and not as good as some more recent options available on eBay or similar, but I have no issues and can't 'see' the material even on very bright scenes. Interesting to see Arrow's testing and comments too.

Thumbnail sized picture attached to this post as I can't do a full size one: The first one is a view in daylight with it set up for projection viewing. The other one is my normal TV viewing mode, with the Devore pushed back to the sides, the top door closed and the below screen cover removed. The TV goes up and down on an electric lift.
I don’t know if others agree but my experience was that getting the ceiling done had the greater affect on contrast. Would be more difficult for you though with a vaulted ceiling.
Kelvin1965S likes this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Luminated67 is offline  
post #6414 of 6532 Old 08-25-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,184
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12291 Post(s)
Liked: 9915
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
I don’t know if others agree but my experience was that getting the ceiling done had the greater affect on contrast. Would be more difficult for you though with a vaulted ceiling.
It depends on which surfaces are closest to the screen. I have a white ceiling in my family room and it does not hurt the image too much, even though it is a flat ceiling. That is because the ceiling is 17' up.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #6415 of 6532 Old 08-25-2019, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Luminated67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
It depends on which surfaces are closest to the screen. I have a white ceiling in my family room and it does not hurt the image too much, even though it is a flat ceiling. That is because the ceiling is 17' up.
Agreed proximity is key.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Luminated67 is offline  
post #6416 of 6532 Old 08-25-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kelvin1965S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 3,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
I don’t know if others agree but my experience was that getting the ceiling done had the greater affect on contrast. Would be more difficult for you though with a vaulted ceiling.
The plan is to add another width of Devore to the bottom edge of the 'door' and use press studs to hold the other ends up (attached to the underside of the pelmet).

The edited picture shows what I mean by the location of the yellow line. This way there would be close to 2 metres of Devore above the screen.

I did a test using drawing pins as shown in the second picture and this really improved the immersion as it covered the white trim on the edge of the 'door' as well as the white curtain tracks/pelmet each side of the screen. I'm sure it increased contrast too, though I didn't measure it. This is how it should look once I've properly attached the section of Devore to the bottom edge of the door. The hardest part is finding a way to tuck it all out of sight when the door is closed for day to day use.

I sometimes lay another piece of black material across the front piece of the oak flooring too, but I don't find this too distracting at the moment. Perhaps once the ceiling is sorted out properly I will...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Devore diagram.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	2606958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Devore tent.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	2606960  
Bluescale and ARROW-AV like this.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet". William Shakespeare 1615
Kelvin1965S is offline  
post #6417 of 6532 Old 08-25-2019, 09:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Sorry if this was detailed already I missed it. What's the best way to attach velvet to the ceiling? I plan to paint the room black but attach the velvet to the ceiling and side walls at the screen. I was going to apply adhesive to the primed drywall and use a roller to apply preasure on the fabric to the wall. Not liking the idea of pushpins or staples.
wookiegr is online now  
post #6418 of 6532 Old 08-25-2019, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bluescale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,712
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
I was going to apply adhesive to the primed drywall and use a roller to apply preasure on the fabric to the wall. Not liking the idea of pushpins or staples.
I don’t think you’ll be very successful with that tactic. It’ll result in wrinkles galore. When I attached velvet to my ceiling, I bought Elmer’s lightweight foam board sheets, and wrapped those in velvet. I was able to make them very clean, and redo any mistakes. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to attach them to the ceiling permanently. Despite being lightweight, they kept falling off after a month or two when I used sticky tac or staples.

I didn’t spend too much time messing with it, though. I just painted the ceiling black and was done with it. I plan to revisit, as the black paint isn’t really black enough for my taste.
Bluescale is offline  
post #6419 of 6532 Old 08-26-2019, 06:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post
I don’t think you’ll be very successful with that tactic. It’ll result in wrinkles galore. When I attached velvet to my ceiling, I bought Elmer’s lightweight foam board sheets, and wrapped those in velvet. I was able to make them very clean, and redo any mistakes. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to attach them to the ceiling permanently. Despite being lightweight, they kept falling off after a month or two when I used sticky tac or staples.

I didn’t spend too much time messing with it, though. I just painted the ceiling black and was done with it. I plan to revisit, as the black paint isn’t really black enough for my taste.
That's why I'm asking for advice on this, your method didn't work either.
wookiegr is online now  
post #6420 of 6532 Old 08-26-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 24,974
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked: 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
Sorry if this was detailed already I missed it. What's the best way to attach velvet to the ceiling? I plan to paint the room black but attach the velvet to the ceiling and side walls at the screen. I was going to apply adhesive to the primed drywall and use a roller to apply preasure on the fabric to the wall. Not liking the idea of pushpins or staples.
This is a pretty common question in this thread. Go to the top of (any) page and you'll see a search window for the thread. Use Ceiling as your search word and you'll find a number of members solutions.
rboster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off