The Blacker the Theater, The Better the Image - Page 226 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3093Likes

post #6751 of 6876 Old 11-07-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Folks - I am constructing an AT screen and need to do panels at top, bottom, left and right. I was recommended Spandex, GOM fr701. Any preferences based on your experiences? Is there anything additional I need to consider. The material has to be Accoustically transparent.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I am at that stage in my build also and have been researching the crap out of it. I have samples of the DMD Black, FR701, FR702, Highbeams and Anchorage,. Anchorage looks the best to me however my designer Nyal recommended me not to use it in front of my speakers, He then suggested to check out this material: Mellotone Premium Speaker Grille Cloth and from the reviews it looks like it would be very good , have not seen a sample yet though. There is a small thread on here with some using it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 6876 Old 11-07-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post
I am at that stage in my build also and have been researching the crap out of it. I have samples of the DMD Black, FR701, FR702, Highbeams and Anchorage,. Anchorage looks the best to me however my designer Nyal recommended me not to use it in front of my speakers, He then suggested to check out this material: Mellotone Premium Speaker Grille Cloth and from the reviews it looks like it would be very good , have not seen a sample yet though. There is a small thread on here with some using it.
Have you explored double layer spandex?

post #6753 of 6876 Old 11-07-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Have you explored double layer spandex?

No.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6754 of 6876 Old 11-07-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked: 4998
So I received my order of this black velvet today and although the fabric itself looks great it came with some fruity looking blue and gold frilly border on it lol
Wtf
post #6755 of 6876 Old 11-07-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
So I received my order of this black velvet today and although the fabric itself looks great it came with some fruity looking blue and gold frilly border on it lol
Wtf
All of the Triple Black Velvet in the states has that border. It is a pain to cut off. The velvet gets in everything but cuts very easily.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
subacabra likes this.
post #6756 of 6876 Old 11-07-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 12718 Post(s)
Liked: 10341
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I built some velvet covered panels for the sides of my speakers but, like the rest of the velvet I used, it has stretched (a bunch) and now looks quite unsightly. I would like to find some velvet that has NO stretch and, it does not need to be acoustically transparent.
Any recommendations? Was it Sy Fabrics?
Sy Triple Black Velvet does not stretch.
post #6757 of 6876 Old 11-07-2019, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked: 4998
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
All of the Triple Black Velvet in the states has that border. It is a pain to cut off. The velvet gets in everything but cuts very easily.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I had no clue. The Joann fabrics velvet I got didn't have any border but I can live with this. I could even just fold that ugly border over, staple, and that should do the trick.
post #6758 of 6876 Old 11-07-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
Yea @subacabra , I got some like that from Hobby Lobby, but I got like 3-4 yrds to cover my speakers. I just cut off the odd fruity border. Once off though, it is great sitting on top of speakers, just disappears when the lights are off.
subacabra likes this.
post #6759 of 6876 Old 11-07-2019, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 12718 Post(s)
Liked: 10341
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Yea @subacabra , I got some like that from Hobby Lobby, but I got like 3-4 yrds to cover my speakers. I just cut off the odd fruity border. Once off though, it is great sitting on top of speakers, just disappears when the lights are off.
Don't bother cutting it off, just fold it under. Makes for a cleaner, straighter edge.
DavidinGA and cardoski like this.
post #6760 of 6876 Old 11-08-2019, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
Actually @Mike Garrett , I believe it was you who guided me to covering my speakers with black velvet. I do love a floating image!
Mike Garrett likes this.
post #6761 of 6876 Old 11-09-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Hi all,

Figured I'd ask here first and then branch out to other threads as need be. Love this thread; great help and information.

My current theater is mostly set up. Room has NO ambient light. Have a Sony 885ES laser projector, Seymour Glacier White 1.3 gain 128" 16:9 screen. I have SyFabrics triple velvet on ceiling/walls/floor coming out from the screen wall to the full width of the fabric (44"). I have NOT calibrated my setup, wanted to mention that at the outset...I plan to have a calibration done soon.

Mostly, things look great. But I've noticed something and I'm not sure if it's a not-blacked-out-enough room or something more like a setting on my Sony or my Lumagen.

When watching 16:9 movies especially (Justice League, Phantom Thread), I noticed some scenes with mostly bright backgrounds look fairly washed out. I'm not sure if this is because the image is so bright that it's still filling the room with a lot of light, which is washing out the image a bit. Justice League at 33:06 when Batman and Wonder Woman are walking by the lake, some of the long shots of them are very washed out.

I added another strip of velvet on my ceiling (which is the most reflective part of the room by far) and it didn't seem to change anything, and also I really can't keep covering the room with velvet...what I've done so far (the 44" tunnel) is about as much as I'm really able to do.

Thoughts? Is this a classic "theater isn't dark enough" problem? Or more of a laser projector/lumagen settings issue?

Thanks all,

Chris

Theater 1: LG OLED55E6P 4K TV, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K, Dune HD Solo 4K
Theater 2: Sony VPL-VW885ES, Seymour Premier 16:9 128", Lumagen 4242, Oppo 103D (CFW) / 203, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Denon AVR-X6500H (7.1.4)
post #6762 of 6876 Old 11-10-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 2334 Post(s)
Liked: 1642
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
Hi all,

Figured I'd ask here first and then branch out to other threads as need be. Love this thread; great help and information.

My current theater is mostly set up. Room has NO ambient light. Have a Sony 885ES laser projector, Seymour Glacier White 1.3 gain 128" 16:9 screen. I have SyFabrics triple velvet on ceiling/walls/floor coming out from the screen wall to the full width of the fabric (44"). I have NOT calibrated my setup, wanted to mention that at the outset...I plan to have a calibration done soon.

Mostly, things look great. But I've noticed something and I'm not sure if it's a not-blacked-out-enough room or something more like a setting on my Sony or my Lumagen.

When watching 16:9 movies especially (Justice League, Phantom Thread), I noticed some scenes with mostly bright backgrounds look fairly washed out. I'm not sure if this is because the image is so bright that it's still filling the room with a lot of light, which is washing out the image a bit. Justice League at 33:06 when Batman and Wonder Woman are walking by the lake, some of the long shots of them are very washed out.

I added another strip of velvet on my ceiling (which is the most reflective part of the room by far) and it didn't seem to change anything, and also I really can't keep covering the room with velvet...what I've done so far (the 44" tunnel) is about as much as I'm really able to do.

Thoughts? Is this a classic "theater isn't dark enough" problem? Or more of a laser projector/lumagen settings issue?

Thanks all,

Chris
Well, few options. You can put more black velvet around your room....44 inches out is good start but at least 6 feet should be the minimum. You never mentioned if you covered your rear wall? That wall will reflect a lot of light back into the screen much more than the front or side walls. Once you do all that and if you still don't think its dark enough, perhaps switching out to a jvc projector will give you darker blacks than your sony.

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8
post #6763 of 6876 Old 11-10-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks all,

Chris
Maybe this is a stretch, but check your 'HDMI range'. Set it to 'limited' or 'off', anything other than 'extended'. You can also try changing your gamma to 2.4, if it's now at 2.2. Generally speaking, if you're sure this is only noticeable on mostly bright images, then indeed the amount of bright reflections mays still be too high.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
post #6764 of 6876 Old 11-10-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks all,

Chris
You have a complicated system for it to still be uncalibrated. More likely your issue is in the configuration, not the room. You did not say whether it was an HDR or SDR source, but if it is SDR and you have not calibrated separate settings for each, you are definitely watching it in torch mode and are washing out the image by using too much light from the laser engine. What kind of setup have you done?
fatherom likes this.
post #6765 of 6876 Old 11-10-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
You have a complicated system for it to still be uncalibrated. More likely your issue is in the configuration, not the room. You did not say whether it was an HDR or SDR source, but if it is SDR and you have not calibrated separate settings for each, you are definitely watching it in torch mode and are washing out the image by using too much light from the laser engine. What kind of setup have you done?

I've done some setup but obviously not a full calibration.

I use different presets on the Sony for sdr and hdr sources and they're lightly configured based on some recommendations from the person who sold me the lumagen. The lumagen is also set up for both situations.

I do admit a calibration needs to happen. We just moved and it's a new room and a new screen and all that jazz, but I don't remember bright scenes washing things out this much in my old room (same video equipment). But also I'm watching things with a mega critical eye lately since the room is all so new.

Thanks

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theater 2: Sony VPL-VW885ES, Seymour Premier 16:9 128", Lumagen 4242, Oppo 103D (CFW) / 203, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Denon AVR-X6500H (7.1.4)
post #6766 of 6876 Old 11-14-2019, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'm currently trying to tack some velvet up on the ceiling but am struggling forming straight edges given the stretch of the fabric. Any ideas?
post #6767 of 6876 Old 11-14-2019, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 172
The Blacker the Theater, The Better the Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeargentPeppers View Post
I'm currently trying to tack some velvet up on the ceiling but am struggling forming straight edges given the stretch of the fabric. Any ideas?

You mean you’re tacking it on the ceiling directly? If that’s the case, I think the only way to do get straight edges is if you wrap the them around some straight thin material before you tack them. Better if you sew it to said material.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
post #6768 of 6876 Old 11-14-2019, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Looking if someone has some devore fabric left over? Want to see the difference against triple black velvet in person and if enough cover my lcr speakers behind an acoustic screen.

Willing to pay retail price and shipping.
post #6769 of 6876 Old 11-14-2019, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7114 Post(s)
Liked: 8467
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks all,

Chris
What is your back wall like? The wall directly opposite the screen? I've found that wall makes a big difference if it is non reflective.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #6770 of 6876 Old 11-15-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
What is your back wall like? The wall directly opposite the screen? I've found that wall makes a big difference if it is non reflective.
Thanks for replying. Someone else mentioned something similar. My room is quite long (24') and there's a ton of stuff along that back wall (computer desks, my wire shelf with the projector on it, etc). I can't *imagine* that the back wall is contributing that much reflection all the way back to the screen, but it's probably something I should try (just tack up some temporary velvet to see if it makes a difference).

The problem with certain scenes (especially that Justice League 33:05 scene) is that the whole room just lights up (to the point you could read a newspaper LOL).

Chris

post #6771 of 6876 Old 11-15-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 2334 Post(s)
Liked: 1642
Quote:
Thanks for replying. Someone else mentioned something similar. My room is quite long (24') and there's a ton of stuff along that back wall (computer desks, my wire shelf with the projector on it, etc). I can't *imagine* that the back wall is contributing that much reflection all the way back to the screen, but it's probably something I should try (just tack up some temporary velvet to see if it makes a difference).

The problem with certain scenes (especially that Justice League 33:05 scene) is that the whole room just lights up (to the point you could read a newspaper LOL).

Chris
Look at your rear wall when watching a movie...does it light up? That same light is reflecting back to the screen washing out blacks.

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8
post #6772 of 6876 Old 11-15-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Chris
Stand in your theater with all the lights out ( pitch black ) with your back to the screen and shine a very bright ( police style ?! ) flashlight around the room, to simulate light bouncing off your screen. Don't forget the floor in front of you. Look back at the screen - which things cause the screen to light up from reflected light? Those are the things to fix with black carpeting, black velvet, Rosco black paint and Protostar.
wpbpete and rdlohr like this.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #6773 of 6876 Old 11-15-2019, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Quote:

Chris
Stand in your theater with all the lights out ( pitch black ) with your back to the screen and shine a very bright ( police style ?! ) flashlight around the room, to simulate light bouncing off your screen. Don't forget the floor in front of you. Look back at the screen - which things cause the screen to light up from reflected light? Those are the things to fix with black carpeting, black velvet, Rosco black paint and Protostar. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Black velvet fixes all....but once you start it’s hard to stop. Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A57F5397-56F0-4C1E-9783-427FAFDC83C7_1573839383891.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	2641506  
post #6774 of 6876 Old 11-15-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
Black velvet fixes all....but once you start it’s hard to stop. Lol
That carpet though - it needs to be black !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home theater side view 2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	838.3 KB
ID:	2641508  
coxy2416 and skylarlove1999 like this.

post #6775 of 6876 Old 11-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Quote:
Black velvet fixes all....but once you start it’️s hard to stop. Lol
That carpet though - it needs to be black !
So true. Still working on the wife for that one. Baby steps. Lol
post #6776 of 6876 Old 11-15-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
So true. Still working on the wife for that one. Baby steps. Lol

I convinced my wife by taking the carpet in our theater and turning it into a huge rug for our bedroom. I might have the biggest rug in the state of Nevada lol

post #6777 of 6876 Old 11-15-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
I convinced my wife by taking the carpet in our theater and turning it into a huge rug for our bedroom. I might have the biggest rug in the state of Nevada lol

After using the " flashlight test " described above, I lot large blacl carpet squares from Walmart to test in front under the screen. I liked it so much, I moved those to the sides and had my carpet guy make an edge bound giant black rug ( 15' x 12' 6" of I remember right ) and just put it over the existing carpet. I like to do these things when my wife is out of town to either " surprise her " or see if she notices. She noticed this one.
Buddylee123, arcspin and rdlohr like this.

post #6778 of 6876 Old 11-15-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I did some quick tests.

I certainly have some reflections I think I can tame over time. One challenge is: this basement room is also my office and serves a couple different purposes...so I can't black out every wall, ceiling, etc.

Can anyone with Justice League 4K try the scene at 32:45? There are two wide shots (about 15 secs apart) of Bruce/Diana walking on a path near a river. The left side of the screen is super bright, and (for me) it washes them out. I'm curious what others (with completely different setups) experience on this scene.

I do appreciate the input. Thanks everyone,

Chris

post #6779 of 6876 Old 11-15-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I did some quick tests.

I certainly have some reflections I think I can tame over time. One challenge is: this basement room is also my office and serves a couple different purposes...so I can't black out every wall, ceiling, etc.

Can anyone with Justice League 4K try the scene at 32:45? There are two wide shots (about 15 secs apart) of Bruce/Diana walking on a path near a river. The left side of the screen is super bright, and (for me) it washes them out. I'm curious what others (with completely different setups) experience on this scene.

I do appreciate the input. Thanks everyone,

Chris
Put up a black hand drawn drape and drapery rod to separate your office from the theater perhaps. Close when needed, open when you aren't watching a movie.

post #6780 of 6876 Old 11-15-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not a bad idea, but it would be a challenge due to room layout (where projector is vs where my desks are, etc).

As far as that Justice League scene I mentioned, I just watched that part on my iphone, and it looks washed out there too (a bit), so I'm wondering if I'm focused on the "wrong" clip.

Is there a test pattern or certain scene in a film you all use to check to see if reflections are causing a washed-out image?

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page