The Blacker the Theater, The Better the Image - Page 228 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3229Likes

post #6811 of 7115 Old 11-17-2019, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
Just got a KANE Supernova Black....Oh my god....this has to be most comfortable carpet I have ever put my feet on.....Not cheap ($10-$11/sf through any dealer outside of Georgia)....but if you order from a dealer around Dalton, GA, even with shipping to your place it will end up being closer to $6.5/sf.
Got some pics?
Are the quote installed or just materials?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6812 of 7115 Old 11-18-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 294
I just finished wrapping the first 6 feet of ceiling tiles in triple black velvet. I have velvet curtains around the rest of the screen . My room has 100 percent light control . The only thing im not satisfied with is the black velour grid tape, it is not as dark as the velvet and shows during bright scenes. I am looking for a tape that is just as black and light absorbing as the velvet. I am not sure if it even exists. I have tried a few different ones from amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	th 1.jpe
Views:	77
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	2642600   Click image for larger version

Name:	th 2.jpe
Views:	80
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	2642602   Click image for larger version

Name:	th0.jpe
Views:	77
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	2642604   Click image for larger version

Name:	thy 4.jpe
Views:	71
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	2642606  

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Yamaha CX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 panasonic ub820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS3000 projector
Eulenvusion 130 2.35 screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Emotiva T1 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub SVS PC13 ultra sub
post #6813 of 7115 Old 11-18-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
I just finished wrapping the first 6 feet of ceiling tiles in triple black velvet. I have velvet curtains around the rest of the screen . My room has 100 percent light control . The only thing im not satisfied with is the black velour grid tape, it is not as dark as the velvet and shows during bright scenes. I am looking for a tape that is just as black and light absorbing as the velvet. I am not sure if it even exists. I have tried a few different ones from amazon.
I have tried the flocking tape from Protostar and it too is not as dark as the black velvet. The protostar tape on my grid stands out against my black velvet wrapped ceiling tiles. It doesnt reflect light but simply is not nearly as black. I just accepted it and moved on. The only solution would be too somehow attach velvet to the grid itself . I came to the conclusion that the benefits wouldn't be worth the effort.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6814 of 7115 Old 11-18-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
I have tried the flocking tape from Protostar and it too is not as dark as the black velvet. The protostar tape on my grid stands out against my black velvet wrapped ceiling tiles. It doesnt reflect light but simply is not nearly as black. I just accepted it and moved on. The only solution would be too somehow attach velvet to the grid itself . I came to the conclusion that the benefits wouldn't be worth the effort.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks i reluctantly have to agree with you. I tried Attaching the velvet to the grids and it did not work . I know i am the only person who is bothered by the grids showing when i have guests over for movie. In most scenes they dont show and the image really looks like it is floating . I am really enjoying my new jvc rs3000. I will most likely still search for the perfect grid tape. There goes more money.
Craig Peer likes this.

post #6815 of 7115 Old 11-18-2019, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyng View Post
I'm looking to put black carpet on my HT room which is 14x17.
Anyone has any recommend for a plush, good black carpet?
Safavieh milan in black was the recommendation a while back. Amazon has some 8x10 left but nothing in your size. Unless you do patches, which is what I will do as it is plush enough.

Colorwise haven't seen anything darker yet. Can take a picture in comparison to triple black.
andyng likes this.
post #6816 of 7115 Old 11-18-2019, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Did you use glue to hold the velvet to the face (room side) of the ceiling tile to prevent drooping of the fabric?

I plan to wrap 2'x4' panels of OC 703 and use them as ceiling tiles. This provides a good bass trap in a drop ceiling. I am worried the velvet will droop and thought about using spray glue to hold it to the panel.

-- Bryan
post #6817 of 7115 Old 11-18-2019, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyng View Post
Got some pics?
Are the quote installed or just materials?
This is just for the carpet....no pads, no install. Pads are cheap. Install is also not that bad. I'm installing mine this Friday. Will post pics after install. I don't hink this is a super black carpet, but you will have a hard time finding any carpet that feels as good as this one.....you are going to want to sleep on it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Super-Nova-Black.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	2642698

Speakers: L/C/R: Ascend Sierra Towers (Raal) / Ascend Horizon (Raal) Subwoofers: 2 x JTR Captivator 2400ULF Surrounds: Revel S16(4) / Atmos: RSL C34e (4)
Video: JVC RS2000, Lumagen 4444, 132.8" SeymourAv 2.40:1 with dual roller masking to 16:9
Other: Anthem AVM60 / DSonic M3a 2800-7 / Crown XLS 1002 (2) / Kaleidescape Strato S, XBOX One X, ATV4k, UB820, Elan G1, 2x GC-100-18R
post #6818 of 7115 Old 11-18-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
Just picked up 10yds of JF's Royal Black and a Brother sewing machine. Plan on sewing back those gold sides and making sheets with loops at each end to run furring strips through so they'll run from the ceiling to the bottom trim. Pop a few nails through the strips and hopefully be good to go.

For now the plan is to do one width sheets to the left and right of the screen. 135" screen and a 12' width wall. With the screen down, you'll see nothing but black. If that works, I'll do the same thing to the front of the side walls.

Definitely like the black carpet idea. Could do an 8x12 that would cover the room width and just reach the sofa. Would a dark maroon or navy work well too and provide a little color when the lights are on? Thinking with dark tan walls, some navy or maroon would compliment and still darken things up.

The Pic is before the new screen and putting the center channel on a stand, moving the little console off to the side. So the drop down screen goes another 3-4 inches lower meeting the center channel on its stand. That's a 120" screen and the drop down is 135".
I don't think you want to sew pockets, or use fabric fuse to make pockets either. If your plan is to attach to the wall with furring strips, you want it to cross over the face of the strip and then be attached to the side or back of the strip. If you use a pocket the furring strip will be raised higher than the fabric. Read through more of this thread to get the best options for attaching your fabric. No need to reinvent a well made wheel.

Making simple frames is in the end less work than trying to smoothly stretch on the wall itself. I tried it that way before this thread existed, and would not do it again. The community has set a new standard, here.
dbpaddler likes this.

Last edited by ScottAvery; 11-18-2019 at 02:01 PM.
post #6819 of 7115 Old 11-18-2019, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
I don't think you want to sew pockets, or use fabric fuse to make pockets either. If your plan is to attach to the wall with furring strips, you want it to cross over the face of the strip and then be attached to the sides or back of the strip. If you use a pocket the furring strip will be raised higher than the fabric. Read through more of this thread to get the best options for attaching your fabric. No need to reinvent a well made wheel.

Making simple frames is in the end less work than trying to smoothly stretch on the wall itself. I tried it that way before this thread existed, and would not do it again. The community has set a new standard, here.
Was actually thinking after I cut some strips I could just have it go over the back edge and tighten down the strips locking it in place. Will give more of a read through before I start doing anything. Been awhile since I read through this thread.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
post #6820 of 7115 Old 11-18-2019, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Quote:
While it may be too late for you, if I had a suspended ceiling to cover I would build frames to suspend from the grid instead of leaving the grid exposed at all. It would be simple to Ziptie a frame with pre-stretched velvet that covers a full swath of the ceiling. The frames would not have to match the width of the tiles, they could use nearly the full width of the fabric. You may want to span only half the width of the room to make them manageable. You could attach the far side then slide it into position before attaching the near side.

I'm debating whether it would be better to ziptie them to ensure rigidity or thread a single cord through all of the attachment points and pull it up like a suspended platform, anchoring the cord above the panel when it is raised to the top.
post #6821 of 7115 Old 11-18-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
While it may be too late for you, if I had a suspended ceiling to cover I would build frames to suspend from the grid instead of leaving the grid exposed at all. It would be simple to Ziptie a frame with pre-stretched velvet that covers a full swath of the ceiling. The frames would not have to match the width of the tiles, they could use nearly the full width of the fabric. You may want to span only half the width of the room to make them manageable. You could attach the far side then slide it into position before attaching the near side.

I'm debating whether it would be better to ziptie them to ensure rigidity or thread a single cord through all of the attachment points and pull it up like a suspended platform, anchoring the cord above the panel when it is raised to the top.
That sounds like a great idea. I have a low ceiling in my basement theater. I dont want it any lower. I guess i should just be content with what i have. Wait What did i just say this is the avs forum WE ARE NEVER CONTENT
skylarlove1999 likes this.

post #6822 of 7115 Old 11-19-2019, 01:29 PM

I know this is all about black. What are the thoughts of doing a deep navy rug for some contrast? I'm about to pull the trigger for a 9x12 on Overstock with a 20% off coupon. Debating between the black and navy.

post #6823 of 7115 Old 11-19-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 7497 Post(s)
Liked: 9111
Quote:
I know this is all about black. What are the thoughts of doing a deep navy rug for some contrast? I'm about to pull the trigger for a 9x12 on Overstock with a 20% off coupon. Debating between the black and navy.

Black is better in my opinion.
post #6824 of 7115 Old 11-19-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Black is better in my opinion.
Probably what I'm going to do. Not like I have to deal with WAF at the moment.

post #6825 of 7115 Old 11-19-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Jozwiak View Post
Did you use glue to hold the velvet to the face (room side) of the ceiling tile to prevent drooping of the fabric?

I plan to wrap 2'x4' panels of OC 703 and use them as ceiling tiles. This provides a good bass trap in a drop ceiling. I am worried the velvet will droop and thought about using spray glue to hold it to the panel.
I did not use glue. I tried one panel and it was a pain to get the velvet smooth and wrinkle free. I just used gorilla duct tape to tape the overlap on the back of the panels. They are pretty tight and wrinkle free.

post #6826 of 7115 Old 11-19-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:

It’s a question of how much darkness are you willing to sacrifice for a better-looking theater. That’s the only criteria I would consider against using all black. In my room, a deep navy blue would have looked great for regular daily living, and yet I decided not to compromise and chose black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dbpaddler likes this.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
post #6827 of 7115 Old 11-19-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Jozwiak View Post

As long as the bulge looks the same on all panels, it will look fine. In my case I used UHU pen glue, not spread to cover the whole panel surface but applied in even spaces, like a grid. But this will work better on hard surfaces. Anyway, the best way to avoid wrinkles is to lay the velvet on a table, its back facing up, apply t he glue on the panel, then lay the panel over the velvet’s back. It’s ok o lay one of the edges first. Then apply some weight and let it dry.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
post #6828 of 7115 Old 11-19-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
It’s a question of how much darkness are you willing to sacrifice for a better-looking theater. That’s the only criteria I would consider against using all black. In my room, a deep navy blue would have looked great for regular daily living, and yet I decided not to compromise and chose black.

I ordered the black. Will be here Friday. Hopefully will have time to frame some panels over the weekend in time for a Saturday night movie and eagles/Seahawks on Sunday. Realized I have to do the top of the center channel as well. Big reflection off of it.

post #6829 of 7115 Old 11-19-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 2033
oh yeah @dbpaddler , covering the LCR in black velvet is a must. Totally sucks up that light. Def made a difference for me.
dbpaddler likes this.
post #6830 of 7115 Old 11-19-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
oh yeah @dbpaddler , covering the LCR in black velvet is a must. Totally sucks up that light. Def made a difference for me.
Yeah. I saw some pics on here with them covered and the screen now comes right to the top edge. If I get this all finished up, it'll be the first time I've fully taken advantage of my JVC's big advantage.

post #6831 of 7115 Old 11-19-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh man @dbpaddler , the JVC's love a dark room. Which one do you have?
post #6832 of 7115 Old 11-19-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Oh man @dbpaddler , the JVC's love a dark room. Which one do you have?
I'm still living in a 1080 world with the RS45. I reconfigured my room and put the projector in the closet. Gave me two more feet of throw, and now I'm rocking a 135" Elite Starling Tab Tension in my 12x12 room. It's my 3rd bedroom reconfigured. Benefits of bachelor living.

Dave Vaughn and Nexgen76 like this.
post #6833 of 7115 Old 11-19-2019, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
Quote:
Now I'm wondering if I should return the sewing machine and get some of that fabric fuse.

Definitely don't need a sewing machine. That fabric fuse is as good as sewing, trust me.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I took his advice and also used that fabric fuse. That stuff is awesome, I just finished my curtains and it worked great.
biglen likes this.
post #6834 of 7115 Old 11-20-2019, 02:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
Just got a KANE Supernova Black....Oh my god....this has to be most comfortable carpet I have ever put my feet on.....Not cheap ($10-$11/sf through any dealer outside of Georgia)....but if you order from a dealer around Dalton, GA, even with shipping to your place it will end up being closer to $6.5/sf.
Can you point me in the direction on this dealer I'm in NC & your theater room the same size as mine just curious what's the price if you can inbox me that info...Please

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
post #6835 of 7115 Old 11-20-2019, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

SWEET @ dbpaddler. Nice having options, and no WAF. I am sure that the JVC throws a great image, and that is a huge screen! I bet that you can really enjoy some flicks in your theater!
post #6836 of 7115 Old 11-20-2019, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:

My wife would tell me that black and navy blue don't go together
Craig Peer likes this.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #6837 of 7115 Old 11-20-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
My wife would tell me that black and navy blue don't go together
Then in Philly there are thousands of people dressing wrong...

post #6838 of 7115 Old 11-20-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
SWEET @ dbpaddler. Nice having options, and no WAF. I am sure that the JVC throws a great image, and that is a huge screen! I bet that you can really enjoy some flicks in your theater!
Every step up from my original infocus 4805 and bravo d1 DVD player and 68" screen to the current setup has just been amazing. Screen went from 68 - > 92 - > 100 - > 120 and now 135. Pj went from the 4805 - > Optoma H79 - > RS45. Never once addressed the light reflection/absorption in the room, and never thought to until I started reading this thread. Hoping to take it to another level.

I do like to think we all have that same kid like wonder every time we upgrade, fix and waht not in the system. You throw some test material on thinking you'll just check it out for a few minutes, and two hours later you can't believe you sat through the whole thing.

Such a fun hobby and even more so when you have company, and they just gush over it and can't wait for another movie or game night. And mine's just a converted bedroom. Seeing people's setups around here that are like ones I used to sell when HD was brand spanking new and taken even further than then is just so much fun to see and read about.

ScottAvery likes this.
post #6839 of 7115 Old 11-20-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
Had no idea what a difference a real black carpet would make....I will never go back to anything else.

What is the brand and style/part number of carpet ? Does it actually look that dark in reality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5/P5 in-wall
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #6840 of 7115 Old 11-20-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
What is the brand and style/part number of carpet ? Does it actually look that dark in reality?
TrafficMaster Watercolors II - Pepper from Home Depot : https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficM...7502/300368271

Price goes up and down but you can get it as low as under $2/sqft on occasions.

It has tiny little speckles of white or grey in it (hence the Pepper name) but it completely disappears when the lights go down and there is no sheen or reflection whatsoever. When we first saw it at the store they had those tiny samples so it looked a lot lighter than the larger sample we ordered. The full installed carpet is just pure black. We did the riser first then the stage area.

Also, the fibers are very tight, but very soft when walking on it barefoot, so vacuuming has been very easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page