The Blacker the Theater, The Better the Image - Page 229 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3229Likes

post #6841 of 7115 Old 11-20-2019, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Let’s just say I’m ready to be blacked!

Any suggestions on how I can do this. I would like the toll out method but not sure if it would work in my room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 7115 Old 11-20-2019, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Can you point me in the direction on this dealer I'm in NC & your theater room the same size as mine just curious what's the price if you can inbox me that info...Please
Sent you a PM with info.

Speakers: L/C/R: Ascend Sierra Towers (Raal) / Ascend Horizon (Raal) Subwoofers: 2 x JTR Captivator 2400ULF Surrounds: Revel S16(4) / Atmos: RSL C34e (4)
Video: JVC RS2000, Lumagen 4444, 132.8" SeymourAv 2.40:1 with dual roller masking to 16:9
Other: Anthem AVM60 / DSonic M3a 2800-7 / Crown XLS 1002 (2) / Kaleidescape Strato S, XBOX One X, ATV4k, UB820, Elan G1, 2x GC-100-18R
post #6843 of 7115 Old 11-20-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 7499 Post(s)
Liked: 9114
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
That sounds like a great idea. I have a low ceiling in my basement theater. I dont want it any lower. I guess i should just be content with what i have. Wait What did i just say this is the avs forum WE ARE NEVER CONTENT
Paint the grid with Rosco then !
Jive Turkey likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6844 of 7115 Old 11-20-2019, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
TrafficMaster Watercolors II - Pepper from Home Depot : https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficM...7502/300368271

Price goes up and down but you can get it as low as under $2/sqft on occasions.

It has tiny little speckles of white or grey in it (hence the Pepper name) but it completely disappears when the lights go down and there is no sheen or reflection whatsoever. When we first saw it at the store they had those tiny samples so it looked a lot lighter than the larger sample we ordered. The full installed carpet is just pure black. We did the riser first then the stage area.

Also, the fibers are very tight, but very soft when walking on it barefoot, so vacuuming has been very easy.
Does HD just sell the carpet without installation?
post #6845 of 7115 Old 11-20-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyng View Post
Does HD just sell the carpet without installation?
Yes they do. Bought the riser carpet months ago without any installation and did it myself. For the stage area I had them install since they were running a free-install offer. I got the upgraded padding with the extra $$$. BTW, good padding makes a huge difference.
post #6846 of 7115 Old 11-20-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Yes they do. Bought the riser carpet months ago without any installation and did it myself. For the stage area I had them install since they were running a free-install offer. I got the upgraded padding with the extra $$$. BTW, good padding makes a huge difference.
This looks like a good and affordable way to change the carpet in the room. I will order a sample to see how it looks and feels.
Was thinking about getting some big rug to cover the floor but less than 1K installed is a good deal. my room is just 14x17.
post #6847 of 7115 Old 11-21-2019, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 32
After nearly four years using my LG PF1500 and White Silver Ticket STR-169110 110" screen, I finally got around to painting my room from the glossy off-white (probably the worst-case situation) to the bat cave black Rosco Velour Supersaturated Black.

Wow, what a difference! I never realized how much especially the color saturation and back levels would improve. I still have yet to cover the furniture with black covers and lay down a black throw rug over the darkish-brown carpeting (both on the way,) so I still have some improvements to chase. I also didn't buy the "floating image in a sea of surrounding black" would be that much more immersive, but it really is also an amazing difference worth the effort to achieve.

Thanks for this thread for the inspiration. It took me 8 days total to paint the one room, but the final results made it worth it, and now I'm kicking myself for not doing it a long time ago.
post #6848 of 7115 Old 11-21-2019, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeery View Post
After nearly four years using my LG PF1500 and White Silver Ticket STR-169110 110" screen, I finally got around to painting my room from the glossy off-white (probably the worst-case situation) to the bat cave black Rosco Velour Supersaturated Black.

Wow, what a difference! I never realized how much especially the color saturation and back levels would improve. I still have yet to cover the furniture with black covers and lay down a black throw rug over the darkish-brown carpeting (both on the way,) so I still have some improvements to chase. I also didn't buy the "floating image in a sea of surrounding black" would be that much more immersive, but it really is also an amazing difference worth the effort to achieve.

Thanks for this thread for the inspiration. It took me 8 days total to paint the one room, but the final results made it worth it, and now I'm kicking myself for not doing it a long time ago.
Painting the room can do wonders for the overall picture quality and viewing experience. Going from white to black would be a night and day difference. The great thing about it is paint is cheap and it’s only ones time to complete the project. Overall it’s one of the best bang for your buck projects you can do for a theatre room.

Look into velvet treatments if you ever want to take it one step further. In my opinion it will make just as much if not more of an impact to what you just competed. Putting velvet in my room was one of the best upgrades I have ever done. Just need to work on the carpet one of these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2DF68FE6-6629-435C-9E3D-882A61A82551_1574352113174.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	2643748  
bgeery, dbpaddler and DavidinGA like this.
post #6849 of 7115 Old 11-21-2019, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
Painting the room can do wonders for the overall picture quality and viewing experience. ... Look into velvet treatments if you ever want to take it one step further.
Velvet-covered everything is definitely in my future, but I'm going to enjoy the fruits of my painting labor for awhile first!

I figured, even if I'm ultimately going all-velvet, a good solid black base is a good starting point anyway. It wasn't as cheap as I'd hoped for the 12.5'x25' room, at about $500 for the paint, materials, and needed tools. All my projects run over budget. The Velvet will probably run about the same for the front 12.5'x~15' section of the room I want to treat.
coxy2416 likes this.
post #6850 of 7115 Old 11-21-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
HD is running the same free installation for $699+ purchase so this could be a cheap way to do this.
Curious if you have looked at other black carpet they carry or just that one? And what kind of padding you chose?
It's hard to look since there isn't much in store to look at and online pictures can be deceiving.
post #6851 of 7115 Old 11-21-2019, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeery View Post
Quote:
Painting the room can do wonders for the overall picture quality and viewing experience. ... Look into velvet treatments if you ever want to take it one step further.
Velvet-covered everything is definitely in my future, but I'm going to enjoy the fruits of my painting labor for awhile first!

I figured, even if I'm ultimately going all-velvet, a good solid black base is a good starting point anyway. It wasn't as cheap as I'd hoped for the 12.5'x25' room, at about $500 for the paint, materials, and needed tools. All my projects run over budget. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG] The Velvet will probably run about the same for the front 12.5'x~15' section of the room I want to treat.
Velvet is pricey so just wait for a %50 off sale like I did at a retailer near you. Still not cheap but better then full price. lol
bgeery likes this.
post #6852 of 7115 Old 11-21-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
This is just for the carpet....no pads, no install. Pads are cheap. Install is also not that bad. I'm installing mine this Friday. Will post pics after install. I don't hink this is a super black carpet, but you will have a hard time finding any carpet that feels as good as this one.....you are going to want to sleep on it...
How did the installation go? Are you satisfied with it?
post #6853 of 7115 Old 11-21-2019, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 7499 Post(s)
Liked: 9114
Quote:
Painting the room can do wonders for the overall picture quality and viewing experience. Going from white to black would be a night and day difference. The great thing about it is paint is cheap and it’s only ones time to complete the project. Overall it’s one of the best bang for your buck projects you can do for a theatre room.

Look into velvet treatments if you ever want to take it one step further. In my opinion it will make just as much if not more of an impact to what you just competed. Putting velvet in my room was one of the best upgrades I have ever done. Just need to work on the carpet one of these days.
Did someone say paint? This stuff has done wonders in my room. I even painted my GIK ceiling diffusers with it ! And their TV paint is even darker according to Arrow's tests, but this stuff is good enough for me ( I'm not re-painting everything at this point ).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4690 (2).JPG
Views:	46
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2643818  
dbpaddler and jorgebetancourt like this.
post #6854 of 7115 Old 11-21-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Speaking of the Rosco Velour Flat Black ...........

Click on the links below to a few Slide-Shows but keep in mind the pictures will "NOT" be in the right order.

HT is now prepared for drywall repair & Rosco Velour Flat Black Paint

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post57104640

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 11-21-2019 at 01:06 PM.
post #6855 of 7115 Old 11-21-2019, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 2353
Here's my situation. We downsized our home. We made sure we had a basement for a home theater. We won't fully build it out till next summer. The build out will include fabric panels, which will cover the two small recessed windows in the basement. In the meantime, I want to do a basic HT set up (painting, running wires, mounting projector). I'm trying to figure out how to address the two recessed windows? My first thought it painting the windows with the flex-dip paint that can peel off or just basic black spray paint that can scrape off.

Again, this won't be the "finished" HT, but want to lay down carpet, paint etc so we can use it till next summer.

THanks
Ron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1454.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2643838  
Buddylee123 likes this.
post #6856 of 7115 Old 11-21-2019, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Why not just buy black PE or PU foam and cut it to fit the window opening? Just press it in place.

You could also make a wood frame and wrap it in velvet, felt or whatever.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
post #6857 of 7115 Old 11-21-2019, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked: 2353
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
Why not just buy black PE or PU foam and cut it to fit the window opening? Just press it in place.

You could also make a wood frame and wrap it in velvet, felt or whatever.

My only concern is condensation using the black PE or PU Foam....but that's a good idea.
post #6858 of 7115 Old 11-21-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
My only concern is condensation using the black PE or PU Foam....but that's a good idea.
PU is open cell. Air would flow. Could also get open cell polyethylene too.

rboster likes this.
post #6859 of 7115 Old 11-21-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 987
Quote:
Here's my situation. We downsized our home. We made sure we had a basement for a home theater. We won't fully build it out till next summer. The build out will include fabric panels, which will cover the two small recessed windows in the basement. In the meantime, I want to do a basic HT set up (painting, running wires, mounting projector). I'm trying to figure out how to address the two recessed windows? My first thought it painting the windows with the flex-dip paint that can peel off or just basic black spray paint that can scrape off.

Again, this won't be the "finished" HT, but want to lay down carpet, paint etc so we can use it till next summer.

THanks

Ron
These coverings can be cut to custom fit any window. Because you have such small windows only one would be required. They completely black out the windows what can easily be removed when he would like the light to shine in and then you can block them out again. You could also then use tension rods and get some curtains made better closer to the actual wall to make it look more appealing. That is what I did.

https://blackoutez.com/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
rboster and Jive Turkey like this.
post #6860 of 7115 Old 11-21-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
HD is running the same free installation for $699+ purchase so this could be a cheap way to do this.
Curious if you have looked at other black carpet they carry or just that one? And what kind of padding you chose?
It's hard to look since there isn't much in store to look at and online pictures can be deceiving.
Honestly, Home Depot really does not have many choices for solid black carpets. The few others we saw were like in the $3-6sqft range so that was like out of the budget. Besides, this actually looked better than the others so it was a win-win.

We went with the Temper-Pedic 7/16" pad.
andyng likes this.
post #6861 of 7115 Old 11-21-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

THanks
Ron
Whatever you do make sure they can be removed if the inspector has to stop by. I was warned big-time to make sure there was access to egress. I went with huge window plugs since mine are first-story windows so I did not put them in till I was positive the inspector would not stop by and if ever there was a fire-code check I could pencil whip having them on there since they can be removed by pulling on the handles. Just a FYI.
rboster likes this.
post #6862 of 7115 Old 11-21-2019, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked: 2339
Quote:

THanks
Ron
Here is what I did. Works nicely.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post24744437
rboster likes this.
post #6863 of 7115 Old 11-21-2019, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
It is scheduled for tomorrow (Friday). I also have the RS-2000 being installed tomorrow....big day!!

I'm sad that I will be gone for a week starting Sat, so no time to play with it and finish the room until Dec....
Dave Vaughn and andyng like this.

Speakers: L/C/R: Ascend Sierra Towers (Raal) / Ascend Horizon (Raal) Subwoofers: 2 x JTR Captivator 2400ULF Surrounds: Revel S16(4) / Atmos: RSL C34e (4)
Video: JVC RS2000, Lumagen 4444, 132.8" SeymourAv 2.40:1 with dual roller masking to 16:9
Other: Anthem AVM60 / DSonic M3a 2800-7 / Crown XLS 1002 (2) / Kaleidescape Strato S, XBOX One X, ATV4k, UB820, Elan G1, 2x GC-100-18R
post #6864 of 7115 Old 11-21-2019, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Quote:
We had Home Depot replace the carpet in three rooms. They have several area crews (third-party from what I could tell) and you simply get assigned to one of them. I was concerned about their attention to detail however they did a rather nice job. Not scuffing the baseboards and installing the carpet itself went fine. I presume it varies to some degree from crew to crew.

I was "watching" the entire install and everything was fine when they left. Although the moment my wife walked into the house she stated... what's with the carpet. It's a berber (more or less) and she instantly noticed it had "lines" running through it. Something like two or three per room - manufacturing defect. The moment she mentioned it I couldn't help but see it too. Long story somewhat shorter they ended up sending an independent inspector and he declared it defective. They verified they had enough non-defective in stock and swapped it a few weeks later (I think using the same crew). During the process I expressed the "grief" of having deal with getting it replaced and they offered a generous discount/refund which I found very responsible.
andyng likes this.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #6865 of 7115 Old 11-22-2019, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked: 2033
@bgeery , I too stumbled onto this thread, and having white walls and white ceiling at first. Now half the room is covered in black velvet, and brought my JVC to life!!!
bgeery likes this.
post #6866 of 7115 Old 11-22-2019, 05:03 AM

Was trying to search back but couldn't find the post(s). Guys have used backer board to frame velvet. Was also looking at the stiff foam roofing insulation boards. Thinking thatd be easier than making frames with furring strips or similar wood strips.

post #6867 of 7115 Old 11-22-2019, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Velvet is pricey so just wait for a %50 off sale like I did at a retailer near you. Still not cheap but better then full price. lol
You can still grab triple black velvet off Amazon for like $5.30/yd, that's what I did. That's pretty dang cheap imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofers: 1 MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D. 2 VBSS 18" Subs w/NX3000D.
post #6868 of 7115 Old 11-22-2019, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Quote:
You can still grab triple black velvet off Amazon for like $5.30/yd, that's what I did. That's pretty dang cheap imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I’d say so. In Canada I had to pay $16 a meter and that’s on a %50 off sale from fabricville.

And even at that price it was worth ever dollar!
DavidinGA likes this.
post #6869 of 7115 Old 11-22-2019, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
Quote:

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using
Tapatalk

Is this the same as Joan’s ?
post #6870 of 7115 Old 11-22-2019, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaseni View Post
Is this the same as Joan’s ?
I haven't personally had them both on hand to compare (I only have the Amazon stuff), but I've heard others say they both perform equally.

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/Black-Triple-...s%2C251&sr=8-1

If you buy it, make sure the seller on Amazon is "Fabric Bravo" some other users got low-quality velvet from the other sellers.

--------------------------------------------------
Source: HTPC w/madVR, Video: Epson 5040, 150" 16:9, Audio: Onkyo RZ 830 avr, 5.1.4 Atmos setup. 5 speaker Energy C Series: L/R C300's, C C-C100, SR/SL C50's, 4 in-ceiling Micca R-8c. Subwoofers: 1 MiniMarty um18 w/NX3000D. 2 VBSS 18" Subs w/NX3000D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page