The Blacker the Theater, The Better the Image - Page 231 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3129Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6901 of 6943 Old 11-29-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dan webster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: western mass.
Posts: 1,235
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I would consider using the foam insulation board from Lowes or Depot, it's very sturdy and relatively light weight.

I used it to make the velvet scope masks for my 16:9 screen and for several areas in the room as well. I used vinyl drywall edging on all 4 corners to give them extra strength.



Welcome to the rabbit hole.. it does have an ending though!



When there is literally nothing else in the room to see except the movie, you have arrived at cinema nirvana.

What thickness of foam board did you use ?
howiee likes this.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Yamaha CX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 panasonic ub820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS3000 projector
silver ticket 125 2.35 screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Emotiva T1 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub SVS PC13 ultra sub
dan webster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6902 of 6943 Old 11-29-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,956
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5452 Post(s)
Liked: 5854
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
What thickness of foam board did you use ?
0.5-in x 4-ft x 8-ft sheets were used for the panels. I had to join a section since the screen is almost 11 feet wide. I used 0.5 inch vinyl drywall corner bead on all 4 edges to give it strength and HVAC silver tape to secure it before wrapping it in the velvet.

it's nice and strong but also very light for easy 1 person install.
howiee likes this.
zombie10k is offline  
post #6903 of 6943 Old 11-29-2019, 10:08 AM
Senior Member
 
dbpaddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaseni View Post
Not much progress but hey !!
Are you going to do something with the trim? Was thinking do doing the foam board from the floor up to just above the bottom of the screen. It'd be a half inch away from the wall above the trim, but easier than doing a sheet to the trim and the trim down.

I did buy regular craft foam board, but the ends were all smashed and jsit returned them while at the store. I suppose I could use the drywall edging on them, but the insulation boards would be nicer.

My velvet curtains on the sides are ctually looking more and more like a suede in comparison. Thinking of returning them and finding something better.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
dbpaddler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6904 of 6943 Old 11-29-2019, 10:15 AM
Member
 
howiee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I would consider using the foam insulation board from Lowes or Depot, it's very sturdy and relatively light weight.

I used it to make the velvet scope masks for my 16:9 screen and for several areas in the room as well. I used vinyl drywall edging on all 4 corners to give them extra strength.



Welcome to the rabbit hole.. it does have an ending though!



When there is literally nothing else in the room to see except the movie, you have arrived at cinema nirvana.

That's awesome!

Do you mind sharing how you attach your masking boards? I'm going for a similar full cave and they would save a bunch of cash vs the Seymour options.
howiee is online now  
post #6905 of 6943 Old 11-29-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,956
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5452 Post(s)
Liked: 5854
Quote:
Originally Posted by howiee View Post
That's awesome!

Do you mind sharing how you attach your masking boards? I'm going for a similar full cave and they would save a bunch of cash vs the Seymour options.
very strong magnets.. I have details on how I did it posted here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post54735385

the magnets are placed at these locations on the masks and have magnets mounted behind the frame in the same locations. let me know if you have any q's

howiee likes this.
zombie10k is offline  
post #6906 of 6943 Old 11-30-2019, 09:31 PM
Member
 
savefarris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Is sy’s triple black velvet worth the price premium over the black triple velvet sold on amazon? I saw on amazon to make sure I buy it from certain vendors.
savefarris is offline  
post #6907 of 6943 Old 12-01-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Lightbulb

Guys,

So I don't double-post below is the link to one of my solutions to an improved picture.

Decision made to go ahead and lay the Lilah "Deep-Black" area rug down ...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post58898080

Terry
tebling likes this.
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #6908 of 6943 Old 12-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Member
 
howiee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
very strong magnets.. I have details on how I did it posted here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post54735385

the magnets are placed at these locations on the masks and have magnets mounted behind the frame in the same locations. let me know if you have any q's

Top man!
howiee is online now  
post #6909 of 6943 Old 12-01-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fatherom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 210
The Blacker the Theater, The Better the Image

Looking for some suggestions. I'm in Canada so some of my retail options are limited.

I've already done some velvet and acoustic panels, but I think I need some more room treatment.

I'm not super DIY so I'm looking for a simple ready made thing I can buy. I also don't have a ton of time to build something myself.

Basically wondering if there are lightweight panels I can easy hang on walls and ceiling. Something to cut the reflections. They need not be super dark velvet, just darker than my walls/ceiling now. I'm thinking some kind of 2'x4' thin panels I can hang all around the room in various places just to cut a majority of reflections.

Edit: would simple matte black foam board work?

Thoughts? Thanks all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Theater 1: LG OLED55E6P 4K TV, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K, Dune HD Solo 4K
Theater 2: Sony VPL-VW885ES, Seymour Premier 16:9 128", Lumagen 4242, Oppo 103D (CFW) / 203, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Denon AVR-X6500H (7.1.4)

Last edited by fatherom; 12-01-2019 at 01:03 PM.
fatherom is offline  
post #6910 of 6943 Old 12-02-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
descalabro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
Looking for some suggestions. I'm in Canada so some of my retail options are limited.

I've already done some velvet and acoustic panels, but I think I need some more room treatment.

I'm not super DIY so I'm looking for a simple ready made thing I can buy. I also don't have a ton of time to build something myself.

Basically wondering if there are lightweight panels I can easy hang on walls and ceiling. Something to cut the reflections. They need not be super dark velvet, just darker than my walls/ceiling now. I'm thinking some kind of 2'x4' thin panels I can hang all around the room in various places just to cut a majority of reflections.

Edit: would simple matte black foam board work?

Thoughts? Thanks all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi,

sure, black Polyethylene foam panels will work, black cardboard too. Those are dark materials which will make a difference. The Polyethylene foam is more expensive than velvet, but then you won't have to DIY much. Another thing you can look for is those big black felt rolls which they sell in chinese megastores (in my country at least); these are not rigid, but thick and light enough to attach to the ceiling, and also darker and cheaper than the foam panels.

fatherom likes this.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
descalabro is online now  
post #6911 of 6943 Old 12-02-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,214
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2533 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by savefarris View Post
Is sy’s triple black velvet worth the price premium over the black triple velvet sold on amazon? I saw on amazon to make sure I buy it from certain vendors.
No, as long as you buy the correct Triple Black on Amazon. There was one issue with one of Amazon's fabric sellers where some people were not getting actual TBV fabric when ordering a bolt.
However, this should be fairly obvious to you after you order it and you can return it and say you received the wrong product if it happens.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is online now  
post #6912 of 6943 Old 12-02-2019, 03:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Maybe another paint option:


https://astromart.com/classifieds/as...lack-ota-paint


Will try to lookup the German astronomy club reviews and if someone is interested let you know on the results (will not perform a translation but give a short review).
twcl is offline  
post #6913 of 6943 Old 12-02-2019, 05:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Short update !! Not much but something
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18E899CD-1D5C-4AED-A961-5F7DF94A90FA_1575333353456.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	2648610  
m0j0 likes this.
Bellaseni is offline  
post #6914 of 6943 Old 12-03-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,700
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7212 Post(s)
Liked: 8624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellaseni View Post
Short update !! Not much but something
It's a start. Paint the white ceiling / walls grey at least. It looks like an operating room in there !
Craig Peer is offline  
post #6915 of 6943 Old 12-03-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
genaccmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,315
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Screen done. Red walls and black ceiling.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
m0j0 likes this.
genaccmiller is offline  
post #6916 of 6943 Old 12-03-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rontalley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Black definitely makes a difference!

Started with painting the ceiling black. Then all velvet front and 2 feet off the side walls. Next is the floor.

Thanks for the thread!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4142.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	637.1 KB
ID:	2648844   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4956.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	613.3 KB
ID:	2648846   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5563 (1).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	2648848   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5557.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	563.7 KB
ID:	2648850  
m0j0 likes this.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP, Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D
Projector-BenQ 3550 4K, Screen-110" Silver Ticket STR-169110, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
rontalley is offline  
post #6917 of 6943 Old 12-03-2019, 01:38 PM
Member
 
bgeery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Yucca Valley, CA
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just a quick follow up with pics of my very humble theater using the LG PF1500 and Silver Ticket STR-169110 110" White Screen. Like I said before, I've been using this "temporary" space the last nearly 4 years. I thought I might move the theater to the spare bedroom, but that never happened.

Pic 1 is from when I was just cutting in the black paint. It shows the glossy off-white room it was working with. I also had to deal with those large corner aluminum framed windows, that were really cold in the winter and let in a ton of light, even with curtains. I used 2" polyisocyanurate foam boards cut to size and just pressed into place. Light-tight now, and the windows are now insulated to R-14 (better than my walls and ceiling.)

Pic 2 is the "finished" room only illuminated by the 1/4 watt LED night light shining on the screen. Well, the wall heater was also active when I took this shot, so I guess that to is illuminating some of the brown carpet. I still have nothing covering the LCR speakers and receiver. I also need to cover the router to hide those blinking green LEDs. The room is not this dark in real life, and the nightlight does not really light up the screen that much.

Pic 3 & 4 give a spot-on representation of the way the room looks right now, and how dark the Rosco supersaturated black appears when illuminated by two 60 watt LEDs from above, and another two 60 watt LEDs from a light a few feet behind me. I painted the wall heater cover in Rustoleum 1200F BBQ spray paint, without regret, except it's not as dark as Rosco. I just have black shirts temporarily thrown down between the gaps between the LCR speakers. The rug is a 8'x10' Garland Town Square Black area rug from Home Depot. Not perfectly black (but very close) and it was only $50. BTW, there is a chair right next to the windows for guests, it's so dark you can't really even see it in the photo! I used black microfiber sheets to cover the bed/box spring, guest chair, and wall AC unit. Electical tape used on alarm sensors.

I still have to order some Sy velvet to cover the front speakers and receiver and subwoofer, make panels for between the LCR speakers, cover the thermostat, and cover the gap on the right where the brown carpet isn't covered yet. On the left, I'm thinking now of covering more of the old carpet with another $50 8'x10' Garland Town Square Black area rug.

Beyond that, I'll probably go all velvet at some point, but for right now, the Rosco supersaturated black does a great job at ~3% reflectance.

PS: I have a bad back and have to lay on my side for movies and TV, that's why I have a bed and not a couch. I'm also able to cover up with the black sheet, so I almost have a ninja suit in effect!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191114_191945897-edited.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	2648902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191202_193400779-edited.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	2648904   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191202_113512658-edited.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	2648906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191202_113533594-edited.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	2648912  

Last edited by bgeery; 12-03-2019 at 01:59 PM.
bgeery is offline  
post #6918 of 6943 Old 12-03-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,342
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeery View Post
Just a quick follow up with pics of my very humble theater using the LG PF1500 and Silver Ticket STR-169110 110" White Screen. Like I said before, I've been using this "temporary" space the last nearly 4 years. I thought I might move the theater to the spare bedroom, but that never happened.

Pic 1 is from when I was just cutting in the black paint. It shows the glossy off-white room it was working with. I also had to deal with those large corner aluminum framed windows, that were really cold in the winter and let in a ton of light, even with curtains. I used 2" polyisocyanurate foam boards cut to size and just pressed into place. Light-tight now, and the windows are now insulated to R-14 (better than my walls and ceiling.)

Pic 2 is the "finished" room only illuminated by the 1/4 watt LED night light shining on the screen. Well, the wall heater was also active when I took this shot, so I guess that to is illuminating some of the brown carpet. I still have nothing covering the LCR speakers and receiver. I also need to cover the router to hide those blinking green LEDs. The room is not this dark in real life, and the nightlight does not really light up the screen that much.

Pic 3 & 4 give a spot-on representation of the way the room looks right now, and how dark the Rosco supersaturated black appears when illuminated by two 60 watt LEDs from above, and another two 60 watt LEDs from a light a few feet behind me. I painted the wall heater cover in Rustoleum 1200F BBQ spray paint, without regret, except it's not as dark as Rosco. I just have black shirts temporarily thrown down between the gaps between the LCR speakers. The rug is a 8'x10' Garland Town Square Black area rug from Home Depot. Not perfectly black (but very close) and it was only $50. BTW, there is a chair right next to the windows for guests, it's so dark you can't really even see it in the photo!

I still have to order some Sy velvet to cover the front speakers and receiver and subwoofer, make panels for between the LCR speakers, and cover the gap on the right where the brown carpet isn't covered yet. On the left, I'm thinking now of covering more of the old carpet with another $50 8'x10' Garland Town Square Black area rug.

Beyond that, I'll probably go all velvet at some point, but for right now, the Rosco supersaturated black does a great job at ~3% reflectance.
Do u find the Roscoe is totally chalky when touched? I can’t touch mine without leaving a whitish chalk like mark...

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual SVS SB3000, Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
125" 2.35 Stewart Cima Neve Tab Tensioned Electric
asharma is online now  
post #6919 of 6943 Old 12-03-2019, 01:51 PM
Member
 
bgeery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Yucca Valley, CA
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Do u find the Roscoe is totally chalky when touched? I can’t touch mine without leaving a whitish chalk like mark...
Oh yeah, it will mark easily, but it's also really easy to just paint over the mark and the new blends right in. I think a foam brush would be all that's needed, but they also make tiny 3" rollers if needed.

That's one of the reasons I left the switches and outlets white, so they are easy to find without having to fumble around touching the wall to find the switch. It's also why I left the stainless lock shields in place, so where you reach for the door handles it will be OK to touch. It's also why I didn't paint directly where my bed and backrest can rub against the wall.
asharma likes this.

Last edited by bgeery; 12-03-2019 at 03:29 PM. Reason: 3", not 1" rollers
bgeery is offline  
post #6920 of 6943 Old 12-03-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,183
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeery View Post
Oh yeah, it will mark easily, but it's also really easy to just paint over the mark and the new blends right in. I think a foam brush would be all that's needed, but they also make tiny 1" rollers if needed.



That's one of the reasons I left the switches in outlets white, so they are easy to find without having to fumble around touching the wall to find the switch. It's also why I left the stainless lock shields in place, so where you reach for the door handles it will be OK to touch.
If you want to repaint and add a little of Roscos acrylic it still is just as non-reflective. It scuffs much less easily and doesn't chalk up. Damp cloth will clear up the scuff mark at that point.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
asharma likes this.
skylarlove1999 is offline  
post #6921 of 6943 Old 12-03-2019, 02:44 PM
Member
 
pitchcut29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lemont, IL
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I definitely want to start doing this. I would love to place out my entire white drop ceiling with velvet. I am having a hard time deciding which velvet to go with: Bravo Black Triple Velvet-30 Yards Wholesale by the Bolt from Amazon, SY Triple Black Plush or JoAnn's Royal 3 Black velvet. Can any one tell me how the three compare and contrast, other than price? If I can outweigh some of the benefits such as the velvet looking nice while the lights are on too or not picking up too much dust/lint then that may sway me to pay a bit more.

Lets keep this thread up! Love learning new ideas and seeing people's progress.

Thanks!

Main: 3 x JTR 212RT | Surrounds: 2 x JTR 210HT | Subwoofer: 1 x JTR Captivator 4000ULF-LP
Amplifier: DAC 5-Cherry | Processor: Emotiva XMC-1 | Projector: JVC DLA-NX7 | PJ Screen: SeymourAV 150" 16:9 Center Stage XD
pitchcut29 is offline  
post #6922 of 6943 Old 12-03-2019, 02:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Walls are grey! I had it all black before but not going that route against I think I am stopping 4 feet out!
Bellaseni is offline  
post #6923 of 6943 Old 12-04-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Post

Hello,

Below are a few quick pictures I took this week in my H/T.

It's done in the,














Terry
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #6924 of 6943 Old 12-04-2019, 08:17 AM
Member
 
WisconsinEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Forgive me for likely repeating a question answered somewhere already in this thread...

Is the color of the wall that the screen itself is mounted on critical to darken compared to ceiling and side walls?

Basically I have a flat black ceiling and the walls are all a medium grey, with the side walls each being 10+ feet from the screen edge.

I am wondering if I need to do some sort of black paint or velvet framing around the screen on the screen wall itself? It doesn't seem like much light would reflect from the wall behind the screen back onto the screen, but I am probably wrong! Also, does much light penetrate the screen fabric itself and reflect from the wall behind?

I did previously have a black protostar frame around the screen which I liked the aesthetic of, but we took everything down to paint and replace carpet and I don't have enough of the flocking material left to redo it without ordering another roll. I could also pick up some velvet or just frame the screen with black paint. Wondering if it is worth it or if medium grey is going to get me most of the way there for the wall behind the screen.
WisconsinEric is offline  
post #6925 of 6943 Old 12-04-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinEric View Post
Forgive me for likely repeating a question answered somewhere already in this thread...

Is the color of the wall that the screen itself is mounted on critical to darken compared to ceiling and side walls?

Basically I have a flat black ceiling and the walls are all a medium grey, with the side walls each being 10+ feet from the screen edge.

I am wondering if I need to do some sort of black paint or velvet framing around the screen on the screen wall itself? It doesn't seem like much light would reflect from the wall behind the screen back onto the screen, but I am probably wrong! Also, does much light penetrate the screen fabric itself and reflect from the wall behind?

I did previously have a black protostar frame around the screen which I liked the aesthetic of, but we took everything down to paint and replace carpet and I don't have enough of the flocking material left to redo it without ordering another roll. I could also pick up some velvet or just frame the screen with black paint. Wondering if it is worth it or if medium grey is going to get me most of the way there for the wall behind the screen.
Eric,

Below is the link to when I had my H/T done in the Rosco.
And it made a HUGE-HUGE difference !!!
The last thing I have done is to order and receive a 15' x 12' Lilah Low-Shag Deep-Black. area rug to place under and in front of the 123" screen.
The final install of that ^^^ has not taken place yet.

It also has made a noticeable improvement in the overall picture.

HT is now prepared for drywall repair & Rosco Velour Flat Black Paint
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post57104640

Terry
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #6926 of 6943 Old 12-04-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
descalabro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinEric View Post
Forgive me for likely repeating a question answered somewhere already in this thread...



Is the color of the wall that the screen itself is mounted on critical to darken compared to ceiling and side walls?



Basically I have a flat black ceiling and the walls are all a medium grey, with the side walls each being 10+ feet from the screen edge.



I am wondering if I need to do some sort of black paint or velvet framing around the screen on the screen wall itself? It doesn't seem like much light would reflect from the wall behind the screen back onto the screen, but I am probably wrong! Also, does much light penetrate the screen fabric itself and reflect from the wall behind?



I did previously have a black protostar frame around the screen which I liked the aesthetic of, but we took everything down to paint and replace carpet and I don't have enough of the flocking material left to redo it without ordering another roll. I could also pick up some velvet or just frame the screen with black paint. Wondering if it is worth it or if medium grey is going to get me most of the way there for the wall behind the screen.


Ceiling and side walls are critical, the screen wall not so much, but I think it will still reflect some light back at your eyes since the side walls are grey and not black. Anyway, why don’t you try it before proceeding to paint that wall too?

About the screen, it is very recommendable that you use a screen with an opaque black backside. My first screen was a DIY with white PVC, and it was noticeable that a lot of light went through it and bounced on the wall just behind it. Most decent screens and screen materials have a black backside, and you can test its opacity using a flashlight against the material.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
descalabro is online now  
post #6927 of 6943 Old 12-05-2019, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
genaccmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,315
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 148
This shows my constructed theater with an Accoustically transparent screen and triple black velvet borders.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
genaccmiller is offline  
post #6928 of 6943 Old 12-05-2019, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,214
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
This shows my constructed theater with an Accoustically transparent screen and triple black velvet borders.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Nice.

What about the floor?
noob00224 is online now  
post #6929 of 6943 Old 12-05-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 3,236
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked: 1949
looking great @genaccmiller! Now if you want that image to float, then as @noob00224 said, gotta hook up the floor.
lizrussspike is offline  
post #6930 of 6943 Old 12-05-2019, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
genaccmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,315
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Nice.

What about the floor?
Floor is gray carpet. Would have preferred a bit darker but already installed. So only option is area rug.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
genaccmiller is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off