Phase 2 curtain work done !
I finished by room "upgrades" for now.
0. Screen wall painted a nice dark color and a new run that covers more space.
1. Royal Velvet Ceiling from screen to seating area (about 9 feet).
2. Left and Right Stangh Velvet curtains from Amazon. (2 ~100 inch patio door curtains per side) They go from the screen to wrap behind the seating distance.
3. Back of room Stangh Velvet curtain to reduce projector washout.
4. Velvet wrapped speakers : if the towers fit under the screen I would have just did the tops. If I get new speakers they will fit under my screen and fit a wider screen in the space.
The curtains are on a common ceiling track with the ceiling velvet simply clipped into place. Much tighter then the ceiling is and the rollers stop working well.
The space is about 10 feet wide. At night it dangerous to move around without a light during the day its still dark but you can move round.
The ceiling tracks (roomdividersnow) work well it is quick to pull out or put away.
Overall I am very happy with the results it is very immersive and washout is controlled. We have been using the space alot more then before this work.
We had a painted theater before (black ceiling, dark brown walls, no windows) this and this space is at least as good or maybe better when it comes to controlling washout and it is just flat better at immersion, the velvet speakers make a real difference and the left and right view area is just black curtains.
There might be another 5-10% of performance to find it the room but this setup get the job done for me for not all that much time or money ($600-$800 total cost)
For the money a huge upgrade to the overall experience highly recommended.
The sound is a bit different. I would say better left/right sound stage and about the same on surround. The room only supports high mounted surround and the one I have are very non directional and just a basic 5.1 setup. There is still a rear surround field all in all plenty happy with the sound as it is today.
Anyway thanks to all that came before and helped make this a reality! (ps just basics cell phone pics of the space as is today attached)
Last edited by kemannthey; 02-15-2020 at 03:56 PM.