The Blacker the Theater, The Better the Image - Page 240 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3731Likes

post #7171 of 7688 Old 02-22-2020, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 320
I just painted my room with Behr Marquee Flat Black. I tried the Rosco TV Black, and even with a healthy proportion of Rosco acrylic glaze mixed in, the scuffing was just too much. It's quite a small room, so I expect a lot of inadvertent bumping into walls. The Behr is certainly more reflective, but color wise it's very close to the Rosco and doesn't scuff nearly as easily.

I'll eventually do velvet panels near the screen, and expect that to get close to the point of diminishing returns.

More details and photos in this post on my build thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7172 of 7688 Old 02-22-2020, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
I'm in the same boat and agree with your take on Century paint. I have a couple of gallons. I'll be painting my screen wall with Century.

What are member's thoughts on using Century for baseboards and doors? I'll be painting the ceiling with Benjamin Moore Waterbourne Ceiling paint in black and BM interior in gray for the other walls.

Benjamin Moore Century in Obsidian for trim/doors?

I definitely would not do baseboards in the Century, they receive too much abuse. The door you might get away with but it’s really not recommended either. My baseboards are wood so I used some black stain on them and they are as dark as my black ceiling and front wall. They are more shiny but where they are located and due to their size they don’t cause any problems and they look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rboster likes this.
post #7173 of 7688 Old 02-22-2020, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Greer View Post
I just want you guys to know that after finally “finishing“ my home theater I found this thread. And so I started over. You guys are costing me a **** ton of money and time. Thanks so much. Not really.

Benjamin Moore Obsidian coming soon to a theater near you.

I looked really hard at velvet, but because of acoustical concerns, fit and finish concerns, and cost concerns to do it right (velvet wallpaper), I felt that painting was my best option.

I've heard fantastic things about the obsidian paint can't wait to see yours I'm sure it will be so worth it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7174 of 7688 Old 02-22-2020, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebling View Post
I just painted my room with Behr Marquee Flat Black. I tried the Rosco TV Black, and even with a healthy proportion of Rosco acrylic glaze mixed in, the scuffing was just too much. It's quite a small room, so I expect a lot of inadvertent bumping into walls. The Behr is certainly more reflective, but color wise it's very close to the Rosco and doesn't scuff nearly as easily.

I'll eventually do velvet panels near the screen, and expect that to get close to the point of diminishing returns.

More details and photos in this post on my build thread.
I've been following the Little Black Box build thread. Really terrific job. I'm taking notes.
tebling and skylarlove1999 like this.
post #7175 of 7688 Old 02-22-2020, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
I'm in the same boat and agree with your take on Century paint. I have a couple of gallons. I'll be painting my screen wall with Century.

What are member's thoughts on using Century for baseboards and doors? I'll be painting the ceiling with Benjamin Moore Waterbourne Ceiling paint in black and BM interior in gray for the other walls.

Benjamin Moore Century in Obsidian for trim/doors?

I am painting everything - walls , ceiling , baseboard , door trim with BM Century Obsidian.
post #7176 of 7688 Old 02-22-2020, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
I've been following the Little Black Box build thread. Really terrific job. I'm taking notes.
Thanks Ron, this made my day! Ceiling speaker update coming soon
post #7177 of 7688 Old 02-22-2020, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 2955
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
I am painting everything - walls , ceiling , baseboard , door trim with BM Century Obsidian.
I wouldn't recommend the doors and trim. It's very close to a flat finish, which doesn't perform well on those substrates. I'd use a satin sheet at a minimum.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #7178 of 7688 Old 02-22-2020, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I wouldn't recommend the doors and trim. It's very close to a flat finish, which doesn't perform well on those substrates. I'd use a satin sheet at a minimum.

So satin on the door itself (as well as casings around it ) and baseboards?? What do you mean flat wouldn’t perform well on these areas ?

post #7179 of 7688 Old 02-22-2020, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So satin on the door itself (as well as casings around it ) and baseboards?? What do you mean flat wouldn’t perform well on these areas ?

Flat paint (sheen wise) burnishes easily. Doors are considered "medium abuse" substrates and should have a more durable finish on them such as a satin or semi-gloss trim paint. Given it's a theater, the lower the sheen the better, hence the satin sheen. Benjamin Moore's Scuff-X Satin works great...it's what I have in my house on doors and trim. The store should be able to match the Obsidian to get it pretty close to the factory color (although not exact). Given the sheen difference between the two, that shouldn't matter too much.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #7180 of 7688 Old 02-22-2020, 11:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Flat paint (sheen wise) burnishes easily. Doors are considered "medium abuse" substrates and should have a more durable finish on them such as a satin or semi-gloss trim paint. Given it's a theater, the lower the sheen the better, hence the satin sheen. Benjamin Moore's Scuff-X Satin works great...it's what I have in my house on doors and trim. The store should be able to match the Obsidian to get it pretty close to the factory color (although not exact). Given the sheen difference between the two, that shouldn't matter too much.

I see Scuff-X also comes in “matte”. Would this be better than satin for a theater, or are you sacrificing the durability with matte ? (It’s still called Scuff-X though !)

post #7181 of 7688 Old 02-23-2020, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I see Scuff-X also comes in “matte”. Would this be better than satin for a theater, or are you sacrificing the durability with matte ? (It’s still called Scuff-X though !)

The matte would be more durable than the Century, but less durable than the satin. What you'll get mostly is fingerprints in the paint (the most common abuse of doors), that don't clean off as easily on a lower sheen product. When you go to wipe them off, it "may" burnish. In order to make a flatter finish, you need to scatter the light coming in, so if you look under a microscope at a flat (or matte) paint, the film looks like a mountain range with lots of peaks and valleys. So when dirt or grime gets on the substrate and you go to wipe is off (or scrub it!), you end up removing the peaks causing it to burnish and it raises the side-sheen of surface.

A higher sheen product doesn't have as vast of difference between the peaks and valleys, which is why they clean easier and have better scrub resistance. High gloss products look like the salt flats of Utah

Hopefully this helps.
rboster likes this.

post #7182 of 7688 Old 02-23-2020, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The matte would be more durable than the Century, but less durable than the satin. What you'll get mostly is fingerprints in the paint (the most common abuse of doors), that don't clean off as easily on a lower sheen product. When you go to wipe them off, it "may" burnish. In order to make a flatter finish, you need to scatter the light coming in, so if you look under a microscope at a flat (or matte) paint, the film looks like a mountain range with lots of peaks and valleys. So when dirt or grime gets on the substrate and you go to wipe is off (or scrub it!), you end up removing the peaks causing it to burnish and it raises the side-sheen of surface.

A higher sheen product doesn't have as vast of difference between the peaks and valleys, which is why they clean easier and have better scrub resistance. High gloss products look like the salt flats of Utah

Hopefully this helps.

Super helpful, thanks. Do you think baseboard and doors in a (fully light controlled) theater with Scuff X satin will raise the light floor (from generalized reflection of ambient screen light ? )
post #7183 of 7688 Old 02-23-2020, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Super helpful, thanks. Do you think baseboard and doors in a (fully light controlled) theater with Scuff X satin will raise the light floor (from generalized reflection of ambient screen light ? )
Not by any appreciable measure. I do have my front wall covered in velvet to cover the paint My ceiling is black (same product as Rbooster) and while it isn't as dark as the velvet, it's far removed from my screen so the reflections are minimal.

post #7184 of 7688 Old 02-23-2020, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Quoted: 14011 Post(s)
Liked: 11684
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Two reasons:

1) Cost

2) Next year or the year after, I'll be building a false wall for the screen and fabric panels for the other walls...so saving up and this will be a short term version of the theater.

Since selling our previous home (with the HT), I've been without a theater for a year...so I want to get it up and running with a 1.0 version. 2.0 will have a professional build out based on plans prepared by Shawn Byrne of Quest Acoustics.
A year without a theater. I am sure you are itching to get up and running again.
post #7185 of 7688 Old 02-23-2020, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 2776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
A year without a theater. I am sure you are itching to get up and running again.
I'm a rudderless ship. I'll be calling to tomorrow to set my ship ashore.
Mike Garrett likes this.
post #7186 of 7688 Old 02-26-2020, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Just got word from my painter that Benjamin Moore Century line of paints is discontinued in Canada because of “cost and durability” issues. So no Obsidian for the HT as planned (walls, ceiling).

So my next choice will probably be Rosco Video Black. I will have to accept how easily is scuffs. I am a little worried because it seems complicated to apply (based on reading this thread!) and I doubt my painter has experience with it. You don’t just roll it on from the can ? Dilute with water ? What ratio ? There doesn’t seem to be consensus.
post #7187 of 7688 Old 02-26-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Just got word from my painter that Benjamin Moore Century line of paints is discontinued in Canada because of “cost and durability” issues. So no Obsidian for the HT as planned (walls, ceiling).

So my next choice will probably be Rosco Video Black. I will have to accept how easily is scuffs. I am a little worried because it seems complicated to apply (based on reading this thread!) and I doubt my painter has experience with it. You don’t just roll it on from the can ? Dilute with water ? What ratio ? There doesn’t seem to be consensus.
Sorry to hear this Blake. That really stinks. @jorgebetancourt maybe you could help Blake with some tips for Rosco TV Black. Thanks in advance for your expertise. @Killroy did an amazing job with Rosco TV Black as well. Maybe he could share some best practices. Thanks in advance for your time.

post #7188 of 7688 Old 02-26-2020, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Sorry to hear this Blake. That really stinks. @jorgebetancourt maybe you could help Blake with some tips for Rosco TV Black. Thanks in advance for your expertise. @Killroy did an amazing job with Rosco TV Black as well. Maybe he could share some best practices. Thanks in advance for your time.
I did mine in Rosco Super Sat.
post #7189 of 7688 Old 02-26-2020, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Similarly I used Benjamin Moore Advance Black (already black in the can) in satin finish for my baseboards, and they've taken a good beating from the vacuum cleaner but still look perfect six months later: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post58524506
post #7190 of 7688 Old 02-26-2020, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
Similarly I used Benjamin Moore Advance Black (already black in the can) in satin finish for my baseboards, and they've taken a good beating from the vacuum cleaner but still look perfect six months later: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...l#post58524506
That's a great choice as well. It is a little harder to apply (have to wait about 18 hours for the second coat, but it's very durable.

post #7191 of 7688 Old 02-27-2020, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
I did mine in Rosco Super Sat.
give me a few hours and I'll reply

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #7192 of 7688 Old 02-27-2020, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
give me a few hours and I'll reply

Thank you both. Greatly appreciated

post #7193 of 7688 Old 02-27-2020, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hi Blake..
I don't regret mines one bit but I do take care of the room and I do tell the kids to take care of the walls.. Anyhow I did the ceiling and the back of the screen straight from can but make sure to blend the cans good their can be some clumping on the bottom from sitting too long on the shelves.. Crawn molding can be straight from can but baseboards and doors do need to be semigloss or eggshell..

For the side walls I believe I mixed 6 cups of clear acrylic flat per gallon of tv black but u can do 4 cups.. Once u paint the back wall behind the screen then you'll see how cool this paint is.. it's absolutely amazing..

For scuffs it's not that bad now.. the trick is to use a damp towel and just tap it or a dry paint brush and brush them away.. The dry paint brush works perfectly..

I'll call my painter in a few and get back on how to paint but it wasn't difficult at all..

Last edited by jorgebetancourt; 02-27-2020 at 01:31 PM.
post #7194 of 7688 Old 02-27-2020, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Ok I just spoke to the painter. He says cut one wall at time and do paint one wall at a time from one side to the other without stoping.. Meaning, dont stop for half and hour and come back or you will see a streak when it drys. You do have to paint fast as it drys fast but do not worry is not hard you will figure it out after your first wall.

He said to buy a thick roller he's was 3/4 so it can hold lots of paint.

Again finish one wall before moving on to the next.. Your going to love it, I know black is a scary at first but when you finish you'll have the dopest room around..

Last edited by jorgebetancourt; 02-27-2020 at 01:30 PM.
post #7195 of 7688 Old 02-27-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Hi Blake..
I don't regret mines one bit but I do take care of the room and I do tell the kids to take care of the walls.. Anyhow I did the ceiling and the back of the screen straight from can but make sure to blend the cans good their can be some clumping on the bottom from sitting too long on the shelves.. Crawn molding can be straight from can but baseboards and doors do need to be semigloss or eggshell..

For the side walls I believe I mixed 6 cups of clear acrylic flat per gallon of tv black but u can do 4 cups.. Once u paint the back wall behind the screen then you'll see how cool this paint is.. it's absolutely amazing..

For scuffs it's not that bad now.. the trick is to use a damp towel and just tap it or a dry paint brush and brush them away.. The dry paint brush works perfectly..

I'll call my painter in a few and get back on how to paint but it wasn't difficult at all..

Thank you as always. I greatly appreciate your participation and knowledge in this thread especially when it comes to painting.

post #7196 of 7688 Old 02-28-2020, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok I just spoke to the painter. He says cut one wall at time and do paint one wall at a time from one side to the other without stoping.. Meaning, dont stop for half and hour and come back or you will see a streak when it drys. You do have to paint fast as it drys fast but do not worry is not hard you will figure it out after your first wall.

He said to buy a thick roller he's was 3/4 so it can hold lots of paint.

Again finish one wall before moving on to the next.. Your going to love it, I know black is a scary at first but when you finish you'll have the dopest room around..

Thanks for that ! I have forwarded to my painter ! Not sure I will add the acrylic though.. do you think you can carefully clean off scuff marks from the pure TV Black paint?

post #7197 of 7688 Old 02-28-2020, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Wondering if any one has a recommendation for carpet? I’m going to velvet walls and ceiling for the first 9-12 foot of the theater. If need be I’ll do the first few feet of the floor also with something I can move if I need to work on something. Seen people wrap the those foam work out tiles with velvet. My old theater I had done the first 6 foot with velvet ceiling and walls. I want to go far enough back that it takes up the first rows line of sight. Trying to find some decent carpet that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Thanks for any help.
post #7198 of 7688 Old 02-28-2020, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 130
My room is 12x12. I picked up a black shag carpet on overstock. It does the trick. Seems wall to wall width wise and stops at the back of my sofa. I don't think people are as picky with carpet as they are about their velvet.

On a side note, Sherwin Williams has 30% off right now with a $10 off 50 coupon too.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...es-and-coupons

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/spe...special-offers

Forget what paint people recommended from there, but I wanted to throw it out there.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
JamesVG81 likes this.
post #7199 of 7688 Old 02-28-2020, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesVG81 View Post
Wondering if any one has a recommendation for carpet? I’m going to velvet walls and ceiling for the first 9-12 foot of the theater. If need be I’ll do the first few feet of the floor also with something I can move if I need to work on something. Seen people wrap the those foam work out tiles with velvet. My old theater I had done the first 6 foot with velvet ceiling and walls. I want to go far enough back that it takes up the first rows line of sight. Trying to find some decent carpet that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Thanks for any help.

I don’t have an actual carpet, I use a roll of black felt with some kind of rubber on the underside. Does the job, easy to move and easy to vacuum clean. Also relatively cheap.

JamesVG81 likes this.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | JVC X30 (RS45)
post #7200 of 7688 Old 03-02-2020, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Okay, I just wanted to know how these would work verse using staples adding velvet to my front stage?

https://www.amazon.com/decotacks-Bla...DN9P3A9054KA1Z

JVC NX5 | Panasonic UB420| PC Madvr
Elite Screens Aeon Series 135 inch CineWhite
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/ |JBL 8350 surrounds x 4 |JBL SCS8 Atmos x 4
Anthem AVM 60| Crown XLS 1502 X 2| Crown XLS 1002 x 4
GSG Devastator x 3 | Sinbosen FP20000q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page