The Blacker the Theater, The Better the Image - Page 251 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3562Likes

post #7501 of 7541 Old 05-22-2020, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by radchad3 View Post
I am looking for advice from the collective group. I am really struggling to get a good result from my velvet project. I purchased 30 yards from the Amazon vendor. I used the 3M adhesive to wrap the fabric around 4x8 panels of foamboard insulation. The results when applying were perfect. I go to hang the board and it looks perfect for the first day or so. Then it either starts to bubble or sags. This material seems to defy physics and continuously produce sag no matter how many times I pull and pin the edges. I am just at a loss. I have put 40+ hours into it and the results look terrible. Is there a fabric out there that doesn't sag? Any other suggestions?

Chad
Chad

I've used commando cloth, which is used as black out material in live theater. It's more of a cotton material and not as effective as velvet but easier to work with. In fact, I made my panels today. I used underlayment board wrapped in the commando cloth in 2 x 4 panels. I haven't attached them to the ceiling yet, but will do so this weekend. I used the same cloth in my previous theater. I never had any sagging issues. Just a tight pull and staples when covering the boards.

FS: Tannoy AMS DC8 Speakers: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...-speakers.html

FS: RUIPRO 8K Fiber DisplayPort Cable 33 feet : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-a...d-support.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7502 of 7541 Old 05-22-2020, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Thank you Sorny for your insight. I certainly respect your philosophy and appreciate a different viewpoint. My wife and I took down a panel today and stripped off the velvet and re pinned it really taught with no adhesive. Hung it back up and we will see the results in the next 24 hours!

PS: Massive upgrade with the velvet in your room. Strong work!
Good luck with your quest for no bubbling/sag. Sy triple black is claimed to be "no stretch", but I can't say for certain that is the case; I don't know if the Amazon stuff is the same or not. I notice no sag in mine except where I didn't pull it super tight to start with, but I'm also not going for the last quarter of a percent of perfection. I can say that any wrinkle, sag, or whatnot will have no detrimental impact to the actual function of the velvet in use though, and may actually work better as uneven surfaces will absorb more reflections (velvet's "nap" or weave is what makes it work; wrinkles and sagging on large amounts of it does the same thing).

I agree the velvet and black rug picture quality improvement was beyond massive. And, for being in one of the expensive forums, this is one of the cheapest things I've done in the home theater. The $ per improvement quotient is off the scale for adding velvet when it comes to how little money it is compared to the gains in contrast/black levels.

MiniDSP 2x4HD, UMIK-1, REW... The holy trinity for running multiple subs.
post #7503 of 7541 Old 05-23-2020, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I was wondering if anyone has any good pics or opinions comparing black velvet to other dark colored fabrics like spandex, commando cloth, or others. Seen lots of paints compared, but not so much fabrics. I like the idea of an all velvet room, but I really enjoy the room ambience more when its dark, but not black. Anyone use a dark colored velevet instead of black?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7504 of 7541 Old 05-23-2020, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5668 Post(s)
Liked: 6229
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyc30 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has any good pics or opinions comparing black velvet to other dark colored fabrics like spandex, commando cloth, or others. Seen lots of paints compared, but not so much fabrics. I like the idea of an all velvet room, but I really enjoy the room ambience more when its dark, but not black. Anyone use a dark colored velevet instead of black?
hi, this might help provide some perspective. I've seen many of the different materials in my HT, imo there is the triple black velvet and everything else takes a distant second. Even the Protostar materials which is used to line telescopes is multiple shades lighter than the TBV.

http://projectiondream.com/en/protos...evore/bild3-2/

skylarlove1999 likes this.
post #7505 of 7541 Old 05-23-2020, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2037 Post(s)
Liked: 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
hi, this might help provide some perspective. I've seen many of the different materials in my HT, imo there is the triple black velvet and everything else takes a distant second. Even the Protostar materials which is used to line telescopes is multiple shades lighter than the TBV.

http://projectiondream.com/en/protos...evore/bild3-2/

100% Agree with this post. Triple Black Velvet is unmatched for reducing light reflections. I used the protostar flocking tape on my actual grid and wrapped my panels in TBV. You can really see the difference in bright scenes on screen.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
zombie10k likes this.

Tristan Jones
post #7506 of 7541 Old 05-23-2020, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Thank you all for the thoughts so far. It is not noticeable at all while watching a movie. I am just a perfectionist and I want it to look professional. I do have the lights on occasionally for watching games etc and I would like it to look as good as possible.

The first pic is just the theater.

Pic #2 shows what the panels looked like 2 days after hanging.

Pic #3 is what the panels look like after taking the material back off and re-pinning several times to get rid of the sag but as you can see the sag continues to occur.

I guess I can live with the #3 pic but I don't like it. I would rather go back to painted walls if the velvet is gonna look like #2 pic.
My lord, I just assumed that this stuff would be dead easy to work with but it looks to be difficult enough. Anyway who cares when the lights are off and anyhow the odd wrinkle doesn’t affect its effectiveness.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Movie Image collection
post #7507 of 7541 Old 05-23-2020, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorny View Post
Good luck with your quest for no bubbling/sag. Sy triple black is claimed to be "no stretch", but I can't say for certain that is the case; I don't know if the Amazon stuff is the same or not. I notice no sag in mine except where I didn't pull it super tight to start with, but I'm also not going for the last quarter of a percent of perfection. I can say that any wrinkle, sag, or whatnot will have no detrimental impact to the actual function of the velvet in use though, and may actually work better as uneven surfaces will absorb more reflections (velvet's "nap" or weave is what makes it work; wrinkles and sagging on large amounts of it does the same thing).

I agree the velvet and black rug picture quality improvement was beyond massive. And, for being in one of the expensive forums, this is one of the cheapest things I've done in the home theater. The $ per improvement quotient is off the scale for adding velvet when it comes to how little money it is compared to the gains in contrast/black levels.
On the subject of rug, I originally was looking for as dark a black one as I could find until someone told be to go for a long shag pile rug in black rather than a tight pile one and I have to admit he was right, the multiple directions of the long pile seems to kill the reflections dead in the water. Might be doable to mount of the walls but the ceiling..... that’s another matter. LOL

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Movie Image collection
post #7508 of 7541 Old 05-23-2020, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
100% Agree with this post. Triple Black Velvet is unmatched for reducing light reflections. I used the protostar flocking tape on my actual grid and wrapped my panels in TBV. You can really see the difference in bright scenes on screen.

Looking at that picture it would seem that any little wrinkle would lower TBV's effectiveness quite markedly.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking. ~~~ "Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
post #7509 of 7541 Old 05-23-2020, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Looking at that picture it would seem that any little wrinkle would lower TBV's effectiveness quite markedly.
Wrinkles only have an impact on one's OCD or ego when the lights are on

Once the lights are off you cannot see any wrinkles nor does it decrease the effectiveness of reducing reflections.

I am curious as to the scientific explanation that wrinkling velvet reduces its anti-reflective properties.

fatherom and Archibald1 like this.

Tristan Jones
post #7510 of 7541 Old 05-23-2020, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Once the lights are off you cannot see any wrinkles nor does it decrease the effectiveness of reducing reflections.

I am curious as to the scientific explanation that wrinkling velvet reduces its anti-reflective properties.

Looking at the picture, the wrinkles in the TBV are reflecting more light, hence their visibility. If it was flat the whole thing would appear uniformly black, not black with areas that are 'less black'.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
post #7511 of 7541 Old 05-23-2020, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looking at the picture, the wrinkles in the TBV are reflecting more light, hence their visibility. If it was flat the whole thing would appear uniformly black, not black with areas that are 'less black'.
So no basis in scientific fact to support the reduced anti-reflective of wrinkled velvet. Your opinion is based upon a personal preference. I understand you don't like the way it looks.

It would bother you when the lights are on and I can understand that. It would probably bother you when the lights are off, not because you could see it, but because you know it is there. It is a personal preference.

I have both wrinkled and flat TBV ceiling tiles in my theater. From MLP with lights off watching a film you nor anyone else could tell which tiles are wrinkled and which are flat. I guarantee it. You would not see any difference in the anti-reflective properties.

Do you have any wrinkled TBV in your theater? Do you have any TBV with no wrinkles in your theater? Are you basing your opinion on any personal experience that I would find valuable?

Honestly not trying to argue with you. Your opinion is based upon the way wrinkled velvet makes you feel rather than an objective understanding of how wrinkled velvet reduces reflections. Wrinkles actual create more surface area for light reflections to dissipate so wrinkled velvet is actually more effective in reducing reflections. Think of it as a prism designed to bounce light but the wrinkled velvet works in the reverse to reduce reflections. That is the science behind it. If the velvet were a reflective surface the wrinkles would increase reflectivity, just like the prism.

fatherom likes this.

Tristan Jones
post #7512 of 7541 Old 05-23-2020, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So no basis in scientific fact to support the reduced anti-reflective of wrinkled velvet. Your opinion is based upon a personal preference. I understand you don't like the way it looks.

It would bother you when the lights are on and I can understand that. It would probably bother you when the lights are off, not because you could see it, but because you know it is there. It is a personal preference.

I have both wrinkled and flat TBV ceiling tiles in my theater. From MLP with lights off watching a film you nor anyone else could tell which tiles are wrinkled and which are flat. I guarantee it. You would not see any difference in the anti-reflective properties.

Do you have any wrinkled TBV in your theater? Do you have any TBV with no wrinkles in your theater? Are you basing your opinion on any personal experience that I would find valuable?

Honestly not trying to argue with you. Your opinion is based upon the way wrinkled velvet makes you feel rather than an objective understanding of how wrinkled velvet reduces reflections. Wrinkles actual create more surface area for light reflections to dissipate so wrinkled velvet is actually more effective in reducing reflections. Think of it as a prism designed to bounce light but the wrinkled velvet works in the reverse to reduce reflections. That is the science behind it. If the velvet were a reflective surface the wrinkles would increase reflectivity, just like the prism.

Wow! So you came up with that entire post about what you have determined I perceive and like and do not like, after a single comment about a single photograph?
Good work!
I actually couldn't give a stuff either way beyond that photo.
I am just pointing out, that in said photo, you can see reflections in the material in the wrinkles themselves, meaning it is not light absorbing or indeed reflection-less.
My interest ends there. Not sure why you think it goes any further than that or that I should explain myself to you in any way..

You seem to have taken a lone comment about a single photograph, incredibly personally.

Genuinely confused at your defensiveness.

Apologies for any offence caused.

post #7513 of 7541 Old 05-23-2020, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow! So you came up with that entire post about what you have determined I perceive and like and do not like, after a single comment about a single photograph?

Good work!

I actually couldn't give a stuff either way beyond that photo.

I am just pointing out, that in said photo, you can see reflections in the material in the wrinkles themselves, meaning it is not light absorbing or indeed reflection-less.

My interest ends there. Not sure why you think it goes any further than that or that I should explain myself to you in any way..

You seem to have taken a lone comment about a single photograph, incredibly personally.

Genuinely confused at your defensiveness.

Apologies for any offence caused.
Bulls and donkeys.

Tristan Jones

Last edited by skylarlove1999; 05-23-2020 at 05:10 PM.
post #7514 of 7541 Old 05-23-2020, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I was a little pushed back at first about LED lights around the screen, but it really doesn't effect the image. However, some people find it to be a little over the top. But what can I say....I have a fish tank in the back of my room so that fits my persona.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	714.3 KB
ID:	2731586   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	782.2 KB
ID:	2731588   Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	2731590   Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	2731592  

tony4k
post #7515 of 7541 Old 05-23-2020, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 View Post
I was a little pushed back at first about LED lights around the screen, but it really doesn't effect the image. However, some people find it to be a little over the top. But what can I say....I have a fish tank in the back of my room so that fits my persona.
Gladiator makes everything look good LOL nice theater thanks for sharing.

Tristan Jones
post #7516 of 7541 Old 05-23-2020, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thank you all for the advice on my velvet panels. I think I have made some progress. I am cautiously optimistic. I will post back later in the week with progress pics.
post #7517 of 7541 Old 05-23-2020, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 View Post
LED all the way!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #7518 of 7541 Old Yesterday, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That’s the beauty of the stuff I used, you put it on like wallpaper so zero wrinkles.... not that I’m OCD or anything.
skylarlove1999 and Archibald1 like this.

Movie Image collection
post #7519 of 7541 Old Yesterday, 02:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bulls and donkeys.

And to you my friend, I say; Puff and bluster!

I can only assume your original, now heavily edited post, is based on a visit you must have had from one of your 'friends' who then made (obviously unwelcome) comments about your (I guess) wrinkly velvet.
Assassination of my character aside, it did make an entertaining read this morning for me and my wife.

For that, we thank you.

post #7520 of 7541 Old Yesterday, 02:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyc30 View Post
I used spandex for my left and right panels and triple black velvet for top and bottom and two narrow lines of triple black velvet on left and right between spandex and screen so that it creates a box of black velvet. The following pictures show the screen as well as how it looks when the light is off. It is dark but not black. I have also attached some pics when light is on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191211_063620296-1_compress84_1590313822050.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	2731742   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200513_204033_compress82_1590313835464.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	2731744   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200513_204011_compress79_1590313845332.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	2731746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20200523-WA0015_compress68_1590313854912.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	2731748   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20200523-WA0014_compress52_1590313864245.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	2731750  

Step by Step Theater Build - http://imgur.com/gallery/2tpaSru
My Theater Build Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs_..._as=subscriber
My Theater Build Thread - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ld-thread.html

Last edited by genaccmiller; Yesterday at 02:52 AM.
post #7521 of 7541 Old Yesterday, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And to you my friend, I say; Puff and bluster!

I can only assume your original, now heavily edited post, is based on a visit you must have had from one of your 'friends' who then made (obviously unwelcome) comments about your (I guess) wrinkly velvet.

Assassination of my character aside, it did make an entertaining read this morning for me and my wife.

For that, we thank you.
Keep on braying.

Tristan Jones
post #7522 of 7541 Old Yesterday, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
I used spandex for my left and right panels and triple black velvet for top and bottom and two narrow lines of triple black velvet on left and right between spandex and screen so that it creates a box of black velvet. The following pictures show the screen as well as how it looks when the light is off. It is dark but not black. I have also attached some pics when light is on.
Looks very professional and works great together on the screen wall. I wonder would it be more noticeable the transition from TBV to spandex and back again if used to conceal speakers on a side wall?
Archibald1 likes this.

Movie Image collection
post #7523 of 7541 Old Yesterday, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Keep on braying.

I could post the original text of your post up here to show that it is in fact you that was 'braying' as you so eloquently put it, but I won't. Because I like you.

Just to make it clear to you, I wasn't referring to you, or your room, or your preferences for your décor in your room.
I just happened upon a picture of a small square triple black velvet (which I have read many times is the best thing for around the screen and often thought of using in actual fact) and noted that I was surprised that you could even see any wrinkles in it.

That's it really.

post #7524 of 7541 Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
Looks very professional and works great together on the screen wall. I wonder would it be more noticeable the transition from TBV to spandex and back again if used to conceal speakers on a side wall?
Triple velvet spandex (can you even get such a thing?) would hug everything and would be an ideal solution would it not?

post #7525 of 7541 Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 258
They do make stretchy black velvet - I'm not sure if it's as dark as TBV or not, but I imagine someone on here has tried it. Even if it's not as dark, the strechiness may outweigh the shade for some applications.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #7526 of 7541 Old Yesterday, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Triple velvet spandex (can you even get such a thing?) would hug everything and would be an ideal solution would it not?
I’m sure there’s a market opportunity in there somewhere, especially for woman’s tights.
Archibald1 likes this.

Movie Image collection
post #7527 of 7541 Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
They do make stretchy black velvet - I'm not sure if it's as dark as TBV or not, but I imagine someone on here has tried it. Even if it's not as dark, the strechiness may outweigh the shade for some applications.
Thinking on a ceiling it might be a nice option to just frame out the covered area and stretch it over. Would be a lot easier to work with than velvet and you wouldn't have any sag. For me, my room is 12' wide. So I could buy four yards and cover the width and go five or six feet deep with it. Could run some sort of trim piece across to make it look nice and neat.

Joann's has 60% off right now and it's 11.99 a yard at regular price. Cheapest on Amazon is 8.99/yd I believe.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
post #7528 of 7541 Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
That would be perfect.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
skylarlove1999 and Archibald1 like this.

Step by Step Theater Build - http://imgur.com/gallery/2tpaSru
My Theater Build Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs_..._as=subscriber
My Theater Build Thread - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ld-thread.html
post #7529 of 7541 Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
I’m sure there’s a market opportunity in there somewhere, especially for woman’s tights.
I can imagine there would be many sparks if you made tights out of them.

post #7530 of 7541 Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 938
They make stretch velvet, I still have a small sample. If you stretch it too much though, you create voids between the threads that let light through. So you would likely have to wrap every panel twice with the fabric being stretched in a different direction on each layer.

If you pull normal velvet tight and staple it in place, you will not get any bubbles, it will stay perfectly flat and smooth. Adhesive tape will not hold velvet very taught.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page