The Blacker the Theater, The Better the Image - Page 257 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3758Likes

post #7681 of 7713 Old 06-29-2020, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2439
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hudson View Post
its that beneficial for the ceiling? the side walls are already blacked out.
Ceiling reflections back onto the screen usually degrade picture quality the most due to the close proximity of the screen to the ceiling and the angle of the light being reflected back onto the screen. If you have 2 ft or more from your screen to your ceiling the negative effects are lessened but still will affect black levels and indirectly contrast. Light reflecting back onto the screen fro m any surface washes out the image. If you want to see how much light is reflecting back onto your screen from your ceiling turn out all the lights in your room at night. Stand in front of your screen facing out from it and shine your phone or flashlight onto the ceiling. Now look at how much light is being reflected back onto your screen. Any areas on your screen that are now illuminated are being negatively impacted by the reflections from the ceiling.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7682 of 7713 Old 06-29-2020, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Ceiling reflections back onto the screen usually degrade picture quality the most due to the close proximity of the screen to the ceiling and the angle of the light being reflected back onto the screen. If you have 2 ft or more from your screen to your ceiling the negative effects are lessened but still will affect black levels and indirectly contrast. Light reflecting back onto the screen fro m any surface washes out the image. If you want to see how much light is reflecting back onto your screen from your ceiling turn out all the lights in your room at night. Stand in front of your screen facing out from it and shine your phone or flashlight onto the ceiling. Now look at how much light is being reflected back onto your screen. Any areas on your screen that are now illuminated are being negatively impacted by the reflections from the ceiling.

So if I weren't going to do the entire ceiling, starting near the screen would be best?
Mike Butny likes this.
post #7683 of 7713 Old 06-29-2020, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
So if I weren't going to do the entire ceiling, starting near the screen would be best?

Yes. More is better obviously, but you get your best bang for your buck the first 4-5 feet back from the screen.
Mike Butny and skylarlove1999 like this.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7684 of 7713 Old 06-29-2020, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2439
Quote:
I agree with @Mocs123 that the first 4-6 feet in front of the screen gives most bang for your buck.

Mike Butny likes this.
post #7685 of 7713 Old 06-29-2020, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 318
I don't think I'll be doing velvet on the ceiling, but I'm doing the blackest black Behr has, in matte.

Shadow Theater Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/3141596-shadow-theater-build.html
post #7686 of 7713 Old 06-29-2020, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 295
It took me 2.5 years to get round to adding a section of Devore velvet to clip above the screen to cover the first section of ceiling: I'd say it was once of the biggest improvements, though perhaps because with the sides and floor done it made the ceiling stand out more. I can't believe how much better the image looks now and no distractions in my eye line which I find really helps too.

As all my Devore is movable then I plan to take some photos of a paused scene showing the impact of each treatment; side curtains, floor covering and with the ceiling covering. I just need to find out how to use my DSLR to take photos manually so that the pictures will be consistent. Certainly in person it is a huge difference, going from washed out looking, to '3D' looking.

Next step is to make the ceiling cover a bit slicker and possibly come out a bit further than it does now...it's a slippery slope.
rboster, Mocs123, autreym and 1 others like this.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet". William Shakespeare 1615
post #7687 of 7713 Old 06-30-2020, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you guys are adding a bunch of panels with velvet to your ceiling, how do you handle lighting?
post #7688 of 7713 Old 06-30-2020, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
If you guys are adding a bunch of panels with velvet to your ceiling, how do you handle lighting?
You mean if you have recessed lights? I just cut out holes for them.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #7689 of 7713 Old 07-07-2020, 03:50 PM
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV

Mentioned: 295 Post(s)
Quoted: 4499 Post(s)
Liked: 7488
Hi everyone,

For those of you who are interested in seeing what a perfectly optimized room looks like here’s an example. The entire room has been finished in Whaley’s Black Velvet Devore (the blackest least light reflective fabric material in the world). This includes all of walls, columns, bulkheads, doors, skirtings, and ceiling (including the starfield ceilings). Additionally the blackest least light reflective carpet and rugs. Yielding a total absence of environmental reflections for maximum immersion and optimum video performance.

Here is a photo taken in HDR from the back of the theater with a movie playing and the lights off; wherein, as you can see, with the absence of environmental reflections all that is visible is the movie image surrounded by a black abyss, for the absolute ultimate with respect to immersion and video performance:

And in case you are interested here’s my build thread: The Manor Dedicated Home Theater

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 07-07-2020 at 03:53 PM.
post #7690 of 7713 Old 07-07-2020, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Stunning.
Incredible.
The best ever.
Will never be anything better even by Gates or Bezos.

Why, why, why such a tiny screen though?

UPDATE
I see the screen is quite large.
The screen looks small.
How far from the screen is the front row seating?

Last edited by anthonybuchanan; 07-07-2020 at 04:30 PM.
post #7691 of 7713 Old 07-07-2020, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Hard to follow up that post of that crazy theatre room lol. Unfortunately in my modest space I still have a cutout in my ceiling for what used to be a fluorescent light but I have replaced with a multicolor led bulb. I like to be able to blast some colored light through the panel sometimes but am wondering if there is any way to cut down on the glare from the panel itself a little bit for regular theatre usage. It is a piece of prismatic clear that I bought from home depot and cut to size. Just wondering if putting some kind of stick on tinting might be worthwhile.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #7692 of 7713 Old 07-08-2020, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

what do you guys do for surface mounted Halo lights? They all only come in bright white.

Shadow Theater Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/3141596-shadow-theater-build.html
post #7693 of 7713 Old 07-08-2020, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
what do you guys do for surface mounted Halo lights? They all only come in bright white.
I ordered black pot light covers from Amazon.
post #7694 of 7713 Old 07-08-2020, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
I ordered black pot light covers from Amazon.
thanks but those are pot lights, I have the surface mounted halo lights - they are flat on the ceiling, not recessed.

post #7695 of 7713 Old 07-09-2020, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 5
First time posting! Im building my theater now and contemplating a diy star ceiling. I want to either paint a galaxy or go with velvet along with the fiber optic stars. Obviously the velvet would be darker for better picture but can anyone tell me how the stars look against the velvet. Does it still work well.
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #7696 of 7713 Old 07-09-2020, 11:33 AM
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV

Mentioned: 295 Post(s)
Quoted: 4499 Post(s)
Liked: 7488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tictocdoc123 View Post
First time posting! Im building my theater now and contemplating a diy star ceiling. I want to either paint a galaxy or go with velvet along with the fiber optic stars. Obviously the velvet would be darker for better picture but can anyone tell me how the stars look against the velvet. Does it still work well.
Welcome to the forum!

Absolutely! This does not just work well it is in fact the ideal.

You see the star ceilings with respect this particular home theater? Well these have been done using the Whaley's Black Velvet Devore fabric material. The result is absolute ultimate with respect to Star Ceiling performance. Bright white stars against a 100% absolute black background. It literally cannot get any better than this. In this particular instance I used Wiedamark Star Ceiling Tiles, which were custom made to size, and I mailed them rolls of the Whaley's Black Velvet Devore fabric material to use instead of their usual black fabric material which whilst black is considerably more reflective and you can see the surface of the material. With the Whaley's Black Velvet Devore fabric material you literally cannot see the surface of the material. The effect is the bright white stars against a black abyss:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Spoiler!

unretarded likes this.
post #7697 of 7713 Old 07-09-2020, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglen View Post
There's a paint line called Fine Paints of Europe, that Benjamin Moore carries. The flat black is super dark, easy to roll on, leaves no streaks when rolling, and scuffs wipe clean easily with a damp rag. It's pricey, but you get what you pay for. Since it's your ceiling, you might not care about the scuffs, so another choice would be the Rosco black. It scuffs pretty bad, but I doubt your ceiling would ever get scuffed up.

Thanks biglen, I used the ben moore century black obsidian and really liked it on my back wall, but, they quit making it. Could you tell me a bit more about this paint. Fine Paints of Europe seems to be based in Holland looks like it is its own brand. JC Licht is the only retailer in IL. Is your recommendation the "Eurlolux interior flat" paint? If you have used it would you tell me how it was to apply and how the flat the finish was compared to some other popular choices here.

I do have rosco super sat on my front wall, and yeah, it scuffs...bad. Luckily I don't do much up there with all the speakers, acoustic panels and gear, but if you look at the paint hard enough it can leave a mark lol.

I am looking at repainting my front wall and ceiling for at least 10 ft or so. I just don't wanna start down the velvet road...not yet anyway.

Regards,

Vizio m801d ISF calibrated in a light controlled room 15.5'x20.5'x8' with MLP 10'-14' from screen
Anthem MRX 510, MiniDSP 2x4HD/WI-DG
Oppo 103d, Apple TV 4K, GIK MBT Panels
Paradigm studio 60, 20 & 10's v5, cc 590, PSA V3601 & 2 V1811
post #7698 of 7713 Old 07-09-2020, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch-boy View Post
Thanks biglen, I used the ben moore century black obsidian and really liked it on my back wall, but, they quit making it. Could you tell me a bit more about this paint. Fine Paints of Europe seems to be based in Holland looks like it is its own brand. JC Licht is the only retailer in IL. Is your recommendation the "Eurlolux interior flat" paint? If you have used it would you tell me how it was to apply and how the flat the finish was compared to some other popular choices here.

I do have rosco super sat on my front wall, and yeah, it scuffs...bad. Luckily I don't do much up there with all the speakers, acoustic panels and gear, but if you look at the paint hard enough it can leave a mark lol.

I am looking at repainting my front wall and ceiling for at least 10 ft or so. I just don't wanna start down the velvet road...not yet anyway.

Regards,
I bought the Fine Paints of Europe at a Benjamin Moore store near me. This is what I used. It rolled on nicely. It doesn't scuff easily, and if it ever does, they wipe right off with a damp cloth.

Last edited by biglen; 07-09-2020 at 08:30 PM.
post #7699 of 7713 Old 07-10-2020, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I bought the Fine Paints of Europe at a Benjamin Moore store near me. This is what I used. It rolled on nicely. It doesn't scuff easily, and if it ever does, they wipe right off with a damp cloth.

Thanks so much.
Just what I was looking for.

Vizio m801d ISF calibrated in a light controlled room 15.5'x20.5'x8' with MLP 10'-14' from screen
Anthem MRX 510, MiniDSP 2x4HD/WI-DG
Oppo 103d, Apple TV 4K, GIK MBT Panels
Paradigm studio 60, 20 & 10's v5, cc 590, PSA V3601 & 2 V1811
post #7700 of 7713 Old 07-10-2020, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 474
The fine paints of Europe line of paints is only sold at a few stores in each area. See list of retailers below.
It seems that goes on better than the Rosco paint and does not scuff. I am wondering if it is as black.

http://www.finepaintsofeurope.com/retailers.aspx#NY
post #7701 of 7713 Old 07-10-2020, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
The fine paints of Europe line of paints is only sold at a few stores in each area. See list of retailers below.

It seems that goes on better than the Rosco paint and does not scuff. I am wondering if it is as black.

http://www.finepaintsofeurope.com/retailers.aspx#NY
Even if it's not as dark as the Rosco paint, which I don't know if it is or not, the non scuff and easy roll on, outweigh it, in my opinion. The salesman at the store, who wasn't trying to sell it to me, because I went in there asking for it, was telling me that all the home theater installers in the area, use it exclusively.

post #7702 of 7713 Old 07-10-2020, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 474
Quote:
Even if it's not as dark as the Rosco paint, which I don't know if it is or not, the non scuff and easy roll on, outweigh it, in my opinion. The salesman at the store, who wasn't trying to sell it to me, because I went in there asking for it, was telling me that all the home theater installers in the area, use it exclusively.

It does seem like a good alternative to the Rosco. A close friend who has a H.T. near me used the Rosco on his ceiling and the scuf/paint marks can be seen. He has been looking for an alternative.
I will suggest the Paints of Europe black.
post #7703 of 7713 Old 07-10-2020, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
It does seem like a good alternative to the Rosco. A close friend who has a H.T. near me used the Rosco on his ceiling and the scuf/paint marks can be seen. He has been looking for an alternative.
I will suggest the Paints of Europe black.
If you are going to the extreme of black paint for the ceiling then why not go for the self adhesive black velvet flock material I used on the ceiling and walls, it's extremely close to the non-reflectiveness of triple velvet and two people could cover the entire walls and ceiling in a whole day, plus it's as thin as regular wallpaper.

I got my from an outfit in the UK but I am sure it has to be available else where in the world.
unretarded likes this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Movie Image collection
post #7704 of 7713 Old 07-10-2020, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

honestly Behr Limousine Leather is plenty black and cheap. If I need darker then I'll probably just put velvet up there.

post #7705 of 7713 Old 07-10-2020, 09:20 AM

Liked: 0
Hello
i am new to all of this so i am reading all of most of the comments here. WOW this is an amazing looking theater...congratulations. Was refering to post #4409 ...

I wanted to ask: does the "material property" of velvet in general serve as light refelction.
Not everyone wants to be in a completely blacked out room....so would using triple velvet of other colors on side walls still work? When you go to a movie theater, the only part/section to be blacked out is in the front with the screen..the rest of theater has color like dark reds, burgundys, purple, greys etc...
so if i were to get black for the front and few feet out from screen and ceiling, can the side walls be a different color velvet?
thank you in advance....

Last edited by Sergio Barrena; 07-10-2020 at 09:24 AM.
post #7706 of 7713 Old 07-10-2020, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Barrena View Post
Hello
i am new to all of this so i am reading all of most of the comments here. WOW this is an amazing looking theater...congratulations. Was refering to post #4409 ...

I wanted to ask: does the "material property" of velvet in general serve as light refelction.
Not everyone wants to be in a completely blacked out room....so would using triple velvet of other colors on side walls still work? When you go to a movie theater, the only part/section to be blacked out is in the front with the screen..the rest of theater has color like dark reds, burgundys, purple, greys etc...
so if i were to get black for the front and few feet out from screen and ceiling, can the side walls be a different color velvet?
thank you in advance....
All the movie theatres I have been are as you said, black on the screen wall, black on the ceiling in the form of suspended ceiling tiles and red velvet material on the side walls, the only thing is that I’ve yet to experience a commercial theatre with even the levels of blacks my Epson has. So with that in mind I think yes it’s important to do as much black as possible if you are interested in the very best image you can get.
unretarded likes this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)

Movie Image collection
post #7707 of 7713 Old 07-10-2020, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Barrena View Post
Hello

thank you in advance....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminated67 View Post
All the movie theatres I have been are as you said, black on the screen wall, black on the ceiling in the form of suspended ceiling tiles and red velvet material on the side walls, the only thing is that I’ve yet to experience a commercial theatre with even the levels of blacks my Epson has. So with that in mind I think yes it’s important to do as much black as possible if you are interested in the very best image you can get.
See this thread by @SOWK -
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (051820 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #7708 of 7713 Old 07-10-2020, 01:52 PM

Liked: 0
hello
thank you for the replies! Keep up the great work!!
post #7709 of 7713 Old 07-10-2020, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
I meant commercial movie theatres are black ceilings and usually red velvet material on the walls. Home theatres done proper usually go the black route, myself included.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	98262E4B-9394-4692-B6A4-FCE452705022.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	2756148   Click image for larger version

Name:	8717A1FD-28E5-4A0D-A709-65C62D6C965C.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	2756150  

Movie Image collection
post #7710 of 7713 Old 07-10-2020, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 48
ARROW-AV, I think you've just inspired me to, or shown me a justification to, buy a NX7.

BTW, I am certain my wealth is less than 1 thousandths of 1 percent of your wealth. Just guessing. 😊

Here's the story. My 16X16 theater rooms ceiling and four walls are being covered in Triple Black Velvet. The velvet is already cut. 20% of the walls are up. After seeing your pictures it occurred to me to call Wiedamark Star Ceiling Tiles to price out my ceiling.

The price came to approx 10K shipped with shooting stars. With my Epson 6050 (always wanted a NX7/NX5) I thought I would have a nice theater room at approx $14,500.

Within minutes though I realized, I can have my originally planned Triple Black theater with a NX7 for only $9K.

So that's the story of how I can see a way forward to getting a NX7.

Thank you for helping me figure this out.
😊
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Mitsubishi , Panasonic Blu Ray Disc Player Dmp Bd30k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page