AVS Forum banner
1M views 10K replies 912 participants last post by  Pretorian 
#1 · (Edited)
A lot of threads have become a home theater improvment color scene around "black"ing out the screen area. Flat black paint, black felt, black velvet, black carpet... You name it!

I figured lets put it in this thread and share our thoughts / noticed improvments / methods / pictures of before and after.

I'll start:

Picture:

"Black" Frame around screen (Fidelio Velvet)
"Black" Material covering up the screen wall (Mellotone Premium Black Speaker Grill Cloth Yard 64" Wide - Parts Express)
"Black" Material covering the Top and Bottom Stage (Black Blizzard Fleece - Joann Fabrics)
"Black" Material covering the first 8 feet out from the front of the stage (Black Blizzard Fleece - Joann Fabrics)
"Black" Flat paint on Ceiling / Walls
"Black" Semi gloss paint on crown molding

How to:

"black" out carpet area in front of screen for cheap?

1. Get cheap fitness pads (Kmart for me)

2. Duct tape all seams front and back

3. Get Black Fabric to cover and adhere to fitness pads

Picture of how I did mine from underneath.

Finished Product:

Added to main post per members of this thread:

VELVET COMPARISONS!

Link
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-d...er-theater-better-image-185.html#post57308858

See less See more
#3 ·
SOWK,

Great idea with the wrapping the fitness pads in fabric. My plan is to paint the entire room black... in fact I went to Lowes, purchased black paint, and had them add as much black pigment to can as possible... I'm not sure if going with dark carpet for the whole theater will case the room to be TOO dark-- but I have free reign of the room and create the blackest of bat-caves if I want.

That being said, I'm already thinking about the possibility of attaching velvet to the ceiling above screen. I had theater in my old townhouse with which I painted the ceiling dark blue. I remember doing so drastically improved the picture, but also didn't eliminate all of the light reflection from the projected image.

I saw in another thread, Zombie posted a link to some material that self-adheres to the wall/ceiling/whatever but I'm worried about it ruing the drywall ceiling. I've used self-stick conduit in the past that had a similar effect and I'd like to avoid it if possible. Though i'm also wondering if I could attach the self-adhering velvet material to a thin piece of plywood and then attach the plywood to the ceiling space.

#4 ·
I have tested protostar, flat black paint, black velvet and black felt and the best was black velvet. Not only is black velvet the darkest out of the bunch, but in doing the flashlight test it kills off whatever light hits it from the screen the best. Protostar was 2nd best and also worked well. The black paint and felt while much better vs light paint was not as good as velvet and Protostar.

There is some good info in this thread from a few weeks back on this topic.......

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461420/does-it-really-make-a-difference-painting-your-movie-living-room-dark-or-even-black/30

SOWK,

Love the fitness pad idea!
I need to do something like that. Right now I just have sheets of black velvet laid out on the floor which performs excellent, but looks a bit rough (with the lights on at least......cant see it when watching a movie). What you have done there looks awesome.

#5 ·
good idea to have a dedicated thread. I have a fresh perspective on this, having just completed this process ~ 2 months ago.

Pros - This is stating the obvious, but there is no better way to get maximum contrast. The image is very immersive when there are no distractions or reflections from adjacent walls,ceiling and floor.

Cons - DI becomes more noticeable, I can sometimes see brightness changes between scenes. Dark movie / sci-fi fans will quickly realize the limitation of the native contrast / black floor on their projector. Any recent JVC gets a full pass, HW50 / Epson 5020 a 1/2 pass (both very good for non-LCOS) and then a partial pass on DLP's like the Sharp 30K, Mitsubishi HC8000 and the BenQ W7000. When I watch these DLP's with the blacked out room, I am always wanting a lower black floor with my low APL movies / concerts.

My ceiling is a grid of 55 tiles (2x2), and some 200 sections of suspension grid. I used these new black tiles from PrimeAcoustic.

Lights are painted with High-temperature BBQ paint.

My 142" 16:9 HP is practically touching the ceiling. The white grid was painstakingly covered with the Protostar black flock material. This stuff is never coming off, be warned ahead of time that it's a permanent installation.

http://www.protostar.biz/hitack.htm

This is a shot before I finished the front titles + grid. the 'after' results are one of the few times we can say there is a day/night difference in the results. If you own a high contrast projector, you're missing out on the best possible PQ without these light treatments.

#8 ·
Nothing like an image floating in blackness.

Second image is with the LED's on behind the screen. Can make the LED's different colors.

The last picture is with three 65 watt flood lights on full, right above the screen. None of the pictures were taken with the black velvet on top of my subs.

#9,169 ·
Nothing like an image floating in blackness.

Second image is with the LED's on behind the screen. Can make the LED's different colors.

The last picture is with three 65 watt flood lights on full, right above the screen. None of the pictures were taken with the black velvet on top of my subs.
Mike, appreciating that this is a very old image… any idea what carpet you were using in this photo? It looks very dark. So far, only finding grays and or black with crazy colored patterns

#9 ·
@ Zombie

"When I watch these DLP's with the blacked out room, I am always wanting a lower black floor with my low APL movies / concerts."

After going through several projectors over many years this is my conclusion as well. My RS35 is adequate with close attention paid to gamma at 5-10%

In my ceiling I use black fabric about the weight of bed sheet held by flat black-painted larger thumb tacks into the dry wall. I've not as black as Fidelio velvet, but lighter and cheaper. Some day all my theater walls will be Fidelio-covered.

Of course, all LEDs and such are black-taped over and the room is a weird black hole to my wife and my daughter who is an interior designer. Another indication of marked obsession here: I have covered the sofa at the viewer end with black velvet though cheaper in quality than Fidelio. I do go short of making my guests wear black.

I recall darinp years ago commenting on how small areas of light surface (like a viewer wearing a white tee shirt) in the home theater mess up intrascene contrast ratios by some small but perceivable percentage. Back then he had High Power screens, as I do, that are more sensitive to light from the direction of the projector.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k  /t/1465053/black-theater-improvment-thread-once-you-go-black-you-never-go-back#post_23122951

Lights are painted with High-temperature BBQ paint.

[/img]

The reflections coming off those lights are killing your contrast. I know I could not live with knowing that. You should really put some baffles on those.

#12 ·
I did this to my apartment. Made a large difference IMO. Especially considering my screen is so close to the ceiling and the paint is all semi glossy white.

In addition to better contrast and such I find it just all around less distracting looking at the screen watching a movie.

#8,976 ·
I did this to my apartment. Made a large difference IMO. Especially considering my screen is so close to the ceiling and the paint is all semi glossy white.

In addition to better contrast and such I find it just all around less distracting looking at the screen watching a movie.

I just realized you were on the Youthman home theater tour! Creative thinking on covering that AC unit, btw.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drapp1952  /t/1465053/black-theater-improvment-thread-once-you-go-black-you-never-go-back#post_23124114

Another indication of marked obsession here: I have covered the sofa at the viewer end with black velvet though cheaper in quality than Fidelio. I do go short of making my guests wear black.

Same here! I have my whole sofa covered in black velvet except the seat I sit in.
I dont make guests wear black, but I have quit inviting people over since they were messing up my contrast! j/k of course.
.............well somewhat.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedO  /t/1465053/black-theater-improvment-thread-once-you-go-black-you-never-go-back#post_23124500

Zombie,

Your before and after pictures of the black ceiling don't look much diffrent, could it be the camera angles? Talking more about the T bars.

I should have been more clear, both of those are 'before' photos, I was stating that after it looks amazing.

I'll go back and post the same scene with the T bars blacked out. The ceiling is completely invisible even though it's inches above the big 142" HP.

#16 ·
Here is a link to independent testing of the "blackness" of various materials commonly discussed here. There is a chart on the bottom that shows the materials relative to each other.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=85

#21 ·
Agreed. Room treatment (and masking) are the best part of my system.

Aside from getting the best contrast and image consistency possible, going black as much as possible in the room is just a way better viewing experience:

Whenever I come back from my friend's house, watching a movie on his projection set up in which he has done nothing to hide equipment or treat his room, I'm always knocked over again just how much better the image looks and how much more immersive the viewing experience is in my treated room.

As I've mentioned to the point of exhaustion, I employ black curtains that pull around the room when watching movies, which allows for a cheery brighter room by day, and "bat cave" for movies.

Though my ceiling is currently dark brown felt, I want pitch black velvet up there for watching movies, like the rest of the room. This week I'm having a system installed that will let me easily hook up velvet on the ceiling for movie watching.

#22 ·
I was wondering about buying some ceiling tiles for a drop down ceiling & covering each one with black velvet. I was thinking that they could be cheap & easily cut to fit around the screen. I would just use small nails to attach them to the walls & ceiling since they would be light weight too. Any thoughts?

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident  /t/1465053/black-theater-improvment-thread-once-you-go-black-you-never-go-back#post_23124914

Here is a link to independent testing of the "blackness" of various materials commonly discussed here. There is a chart on the bottom that shows the materials relative to each other.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=85

Thanks for posting this as I have never seen it. I got the same results with the less scientific flashlight test.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032  /t/1465053/black-theater-improvment-thread-once-you-go-black-you-never-go-back#post_23125304

I'm going to do black velvet on some sofits in my room. Got a sample and it's vastly better than the flat black paint in the room now. Any recommendations on where to get it cheapest as well as the best way to attach it to a low ceiling?

You can use tacks, black tacks are hard to find though (all the retailers only seem to sell white or silver head tacks, so find them online or paint them). It's the easy temporary way to do it. Not sure where to get black velvet cheap though, probably online as well. You probably only need regular short tacks, you don't need those nail-like ones, if you use the bigger/thicker nail tacks it might leave visible holes in the ceiling, but the other tacks are too thin to see the holes left.

Reactions: Nabs17
#26 ·
Alright, so I'm strongly leaning toward implementing a Fabricmate system for the front-half of my room. I think it won't be much of a problem to get the walls and soffits done, but after exhaustively searching the forum I have not found anyone surrounding canned ceiling lights with fabric.

Can it be done? Here are some pics of my freshly drywalled space... I already bought 3 cans of flat black and primer which I'm now kicking myself for doing because if I go with fabricmate + velvet, I'll only end up using half of that...

Reactions: Kevin Miller
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercw2  /t/1465053/black-theater-improvment-thread-once-you-go-black-you-never-go-back#post_23125372

Im redoing my room (11x20) and installing a JVC46 in the next few weeks.

I just can't do black (WAF), but I have painted the white ceiling a very dark charcoal grey (flat) and will also paint the wall the screen (115") will mount.

will anyone make me feel better that "somethings better than nothing"? (charcoal grey > white)

Any dark flat color will be much better than white and well worth the effort.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89  /t/1465053/black-theater-improvment-thread-once-you-go-black-you-never-go-back#post_23126178

Where'd you get those, those look intriguing?

There is a company in Canada call 'PrimeAcoustic'. I found a dealer in the US that shipped them to me a few months ago.

They are a black fiberglass material. When looking at them straight-on, they aren't as dark as the protostar material, but when the light hits them on a sharp angle, they completely disappear. Very cool effect and they look nice with the lights on.