Lens shift moving on its own.. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Is it normal for a projectors lens shift to move on its own? It's after the projector gets cold then warm, guessing its just the heat and thing expanding. My panasonic did it and so does my sony. Maybe it's just because my room is so cold at night I notice it more. My sony moves down half an inch on the screen when warm then back up when it cools down. It's not a deal breaker just wonding if this is a common thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2593
I don't know how common it is for lens shift, but I've noticed that the focus can shift on some models from warm up and cool down. I would find it odd if the whole lens moved up/down and/or left/right every time it was used.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2661 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
I get image shift from when my Benq 7000 first starts up until it fully warms up which seems to be 30-60 minutes somewhere. I don't think the lens is moving, but something to do with things warming up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-29-2013, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 791

Virtually every projector I have used has shifted a bit as well as the focus changing during warm up. Back in the day I keep adjusting one projector every time I turned it on... it would take me an hour to position it and get the focus perfect. Next time I turned it on all over again... until I learned better. Regarding the W7000 I noticed it takes a good hour before the chromatic aberration settles down (stops changing).

With a JVC DLA-RS40 I thought it had perfect alignment after adjusting the panel only to find after an hour I had to readjust and at best it was far from perfect!

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled PC - i7-8700K - NVMe - RTX 2080 - 4K 43" Monitor |
post #5 of 7 Old 05-29-2013, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'm currently trying to get my Panasonic AE8000u projector serviced with AudioGeneral (which is going to ship it to Panasonic) for the same reason. Not only does my display not line up sometimes by a couple of inches but I also am having to adjust the focus all the time. I shouldn't have to do this all the time. I never had this problem with my previous panasonic projectors (AE4000u, AE7000u) and I also didn't have this problem within the first 100 hours on my new panasonic projector either.

But now it's annoying to have to wait an hour for the projector to warm up and then refocus, and even after focusing and resaving the focus after warmup the projector still gets out of focus on a regular basis when I use the lens memory functions.

Displays: JVC RS4910 Projector | 125-inch 2.35:1 Elite Cinetension2 Screen | Panasonic 58V10 Plasma TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A800 | Microsoft XBOX One | Dish Hopper | Intel i5 Nuc w/ Openelec | Behringer iNuke 3000DSP
Speakers: DIY Fusion-12 Tempest (L/R) | DIY 88-Special (C) | DIY Volt-10 Speakers (Surr L/R) | Subwoofers: MartyCube w/ Stereo Integrity SI-18 X 2
post #6 of 7 Old 08-07-2017, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 41
So it seems like it is normal and some of the expensive units also does it?

I have the benQ HT series and I adjusted which took a long time so I'm sure it's warmed.
The next day I turned it on noticed the side test line was shifted just into the black instead of perfect. I thought I must have bumped it. So I adjusted it to perfect again, but after it warms was off again. That means I previously had the correct setting while warm. It goes back and forth and doesn't keep "walking" in one direction which I guess is the most important part.

It doesn't seem like it would take a whole lot of movement to venture off the screen just by a test line. like fraction of a mm, with so much plastic I can see it happening. Considering when I adjust the focus etc the thing moves and shakes alot from the screen. I don't really know how to stiffen the spider bracket in the typical universal mount, it's just "springy"
post #7 of 7 Old 08-07-2017, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 11647 Post(s)
Liked: 9211
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal View Post
So it seems like it is normal and some of the expensive units also does it?

I have the benQ HT series and I adjusted which took a long time so I'm sure it's warmed.
The next day I turned it on noticed the side test line was shifted just into the black instead of perfect. I thought I must have bumped it. So I adjusted it to perfect again, but after it warms was off again. That means I previously had the correct setting while warm. It goes back and forth and doesn't keep "walking" in one direction which I guess is the most important part.

It doesn't seem like it would take a whole lot of movement to venture off the screen just by a test line. like fraction of a mm, with so much plastic I can see it happening. Considering when I adjust the focus etc the thing moves and shakes alot from the screen. I don't really know how to stiffen the spider bracket in the typical universal mount, it's just "springy"
This is where a good mount with custom plate comes in handy. Holds the projector much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page