Ideal Projector mounting distance - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 31 Old 01-10-2020, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2201 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The Chief adjustable drop tubes are well made, but you are still limited, because the range is small. You have:
6" to 9"
9" to 12"
12" to 18"
18" to 24"
It keeps going, but you get the idea. PCV can become brittle over time, beside my projector sits above my head, no way am I sitting under a 50 pound projector supported by PVC. Also no way I am trusting a piece of PVC pipe with 20k of equipment hanging on it. Drop tubes and pipe nipples are cheap and readily available.

Added
I used to be a commercial General Contractor. Have oftentimes seen PVC male thread adapters crack and fail. The thiner piece of PVC at the threads usually is where a failure occurs.
I won’t disagree with you and if I had a $20k projector it would be a $19.5k improvement and I would it mounted with belts and suspenders. I have also seen people install a safety cable. I sit under mine and not too worried about it falling. I worry more at Cracker Barrel when I get seated under a Broad Axe held up to the beam with a couple drywall screws.

With you being a general contractor I would imagine you could envision the concealed track system I envisioned. Something like a unistrut built into the ceiling where the power and signal could travel with the mount and out of view like mine isn’t. One bolt could lock it down and make the upper drop tube mount fixed. In a couple years when you get another 20k projector repeat the process.

If I were building a theater room from scratch like the OP I would design it in. I also have a cable raceway rather than messing around with stringing wires thru the wall. It’s nice not having to mess around if I want to upgrade or change anything. Must have come from my background in testing equipment.

Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page