AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   SONY VPL-HW55ES : New SXRD Model from SONY IFA BERLIN 2013 (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1478522-sony-vpl-hw55es-new-sxrd-model-sony-ifa-berlin-2013-a.html)

kraine 06-23-2013 01:20 AM

18 Attachment(s)
The new entry level projector that will replace the HW50ES is the..... HW55 smile.gif

1080p SXRD Pannels
Reality creation
WHDMI transmission and receiver (option)

http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/2013/07/05/sony-vpl-hw55es-ifa-berlin-2013/

yyy484 06-23-2013 01:42 AM

Thanks alot Kraine .. more like W1500 WHDMI connection feature smile.gif
any news about lamp-less 1080p hometheater other then VPL-FHZ55 from SONY !!

kraine 06-23-2013 01:54 AM

18 Attachment(s)
Nothing sorry, but I will have the FHZ55 in test.

yyy484 06-23-2013 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

Nothing sorry, but I will have the FHZ55 in test.
alright i dont expect to well fit the home theater area with the price like $7k eek.gif
anyway thanks alot Kraine we will be waiting Sir smile.gif

kraine 07-05-2013 10:20 AM

18 Attachment(s)
The real name from the HW50ES successor will be the VPL-HW55ES wink.gif

http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/2013/07/05/sony-vpl-hw55es-ifa-berlin-2013/

mark haflich 07-05-2013 11:45 AM

And translated to English the article is?

kraine 07-05-2013 11:48 AM

18 Attachment(s)

mark haflich 07-05-2013 12:19 PM

Thanks.

zombie10k 07-05-2013 02:40 PM

that is great news if they are moving over to the VW95 chassis. The current HW10 chassis is long in the tooth with no auto features and an average performing lens (compared to the lesser priced RS46/X35).

This is a much needed upgraded. I wonder if they will be able to keep the pricing in the same area as the current model.

vachief 07-06-2013 07:34 AM

Any idea when the VPL-HW55ES is likely to be released?

mark haflich 07-06-2013 07:43 AM

Using history as an example, in September. Cedia is late Sept this year instead of early. Sony will want to come to market before JVC and JVC likes to make a big splash at Cedia holdings things tight till press day. Sony is not stupid and will take whatever advantage they can by shipping new product way before JVC starts shipping.

tigerfan33 07-06-2013 07:51 AM

Same chassis as 95. Same lens as well?
Probably not.

zombie10k 07-06-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

Same chassis as 95. Same lens as well?
Probably not.

at this point, why not? I think the VW95 lens was a bit over-rated compared to even the baseline JVC models (if you get a good copy). I was surprised the first time I calibrated a VW95, it's a good lens, but nothing really special. (same thing with the Mitsubishi HC9000, decent, but why was everyone bragging about this lens?)

The lens in the HW30/HW50 is definitely not up to par compared to the JVC's so it's time Sony takes it up a notch in this regard.

tigerfan33 07-06-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

at this point, why not? I think the VW95 lens was a bit over-rated compared to even the baseline JVC models (if you get a good copy). I was surprised the first time I calibrated a VW95, it's a good lens, but nothing really special. (same thing with the Mitsubishi HC9000, decent, but why was everyone bragging about this lens?)

The lens in the HW30/HW50 is definitely not up to par compared to the JVC's so it's time Sony takes it up a notch in this regard.

95 was more than twice the price of the 30.
Motorized/chassis is the reason why?

Seegs108 07-06-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

at this point, why not? I think the VW95 lens was a bit over-rated compared to even the baseline JVC models (if you get a good copy). I was surprised the first time I calibrated a VW95, it's a good lens, but nothing really special. (same thing with the Mitsubishi HC9000, decent, but why was everyone bragging about this lens?)

The lens in the HW30/HW50 is definitely not up to par compared to the JVC's so it's time Sony takes it up a notch in this regard.

I wouldn't say that the lens was "brag-worthy", but it was a lot nicer than what was in the HW50/30 and I think that's what people were saying. Then again the JVC lens is nothing special compared to many other lenses that are in similarly priced units. As far as the low end JVC units go, the lens is top notch and a lot nicer than what you get from competition in that price range.

zombie10k 07-06-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I wouldn't say that the lens was "brag-worthy", but it was a lot nicer than what was in the HW50/30 and I think that's what people were saying. Then again the JVC lens is nothing special compared to many other lenses that are in similarly priced units. As far as the low end JVC units go, the lens is top notch and a lot nicer than what you get from competition in that price range.

What other projector in the 2.5K range is better than the JVC's? The CA on the HC5 is much more than I would prefer, even at the fire sale price.

the bottom line is the bar keeps raising each year so it shouldn't be any stretch that the VW95 lens should makes it's way to the new entry model. It was a bit over-hyped for the price point of the VW95 when it was released.

2 years later, it makes sense to re-use the entire chassis / lens for the entry model.

Tom Bley 07-06-2013 09:37 AM

Hope the 55 will have the same calibrated brightness levels that the 50 has.

Mike Garrett 07-06-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

Hope the 55 will have the same calibrated brightness levels that the 50 has.

Heck, I hope that it is brighter. smile.gif

enricoclaudio 07-06-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Heck, I hope that it is brighter. smile.gif

+1

Tom Bley 07-06-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Heck, I hope that it is brighter. smile.gif

Me too, actually. I just don't want it going lower. Hopefully using the 95's chassis doesn't change light output for the worse.

Mike Garrett 07-06-2013 09:27 PM

This projector Could be a real contender, depending on price point. CEDIA is looking pretty exciting this year. smile.gif

mark haflich 07-07-2013 06:46 AM

Contender for what? smile.gif Best PQ for the money? 2D or 3D? Best for gaming? Best for projecting underwater? My guess is that Sony will sell a lot at whatever the price point of the competitors at the price point. But the winner will depend on the particular needs and viewing priorities of the viewer. [

Java 07-07-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

This projector Could be a real contender, depending on price point. CEDIA is looking pretty exciting this year. smile.gif

Hey Mike,

So it looks like the 55 will replace the 50 versus having a 60 as an additional model in the line above the 50 (and keeping the 50).

With the 50 on back-order and the 55 coming out soon (September?), does it make sense to go ahead and get a 50 now or wait a few more weeks and get the 55?

Also, when does Sony intro new models and ship in relation to Cedia? Do they wait until the event (late Sept this year) or get a jump on the event? In other words, thoughts on first ship dates on the 55?

Sorry for all the "crystal ball questions", but you seen this scenario play out a few times so you probably have a pretty good guess on the outcome.

Thanks,

Randy

Mike Garrett 07-07-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Contender for what? smile.gif Best PQ for the money? 2D or 3D? Best for gaming? Best for projecting underwater? My guess is that Sony will sell a lot at whatever the price point of the competitors at the price point. But the winner will depend on the particular needs and viewing priorities of the viewer. [

The 50 has been a highly sough after projector at that price point. It did a good job with 2D, 3D, sports and gaming, making it well rounded. Many have selected it because it is well rounded. Throw in that it is very quiet and has a 3 year warranty has just been icing on the cake. The biggest complaint that I have seen about it has been the lack of lens memory. Using the lens from the 95 with lens memory would take care of that one complaint. As long as the projector maintains the brightness of the 50 and does not have a large price increase, then I think it will be very competitive in the market. Of douse this is without knowing what the competition is bringing out.

Mike Garrett 07-07-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post

Hey Mike,

So it looks like the 55 will replace the 50 versus having a 60 as an additional model in the line above the 50 (and keeping the 50).

With the 50 on back-order and the 55 coming out soon (September?), does it make sense to go ahead and get a 50 now or wait a few more weeks and get the 55?

Also, when does Sony intro new models and ship in relation to Cedia? Do they wait until the event (late Sept this year) or get a jump on the event? In other words, thoughts on first ship dates on the 55?

Sorry for all the "crystal ball questions", but you seen this scenario play out a few times so you probably have a pretty good guess on the outcome.

Thanks,

Randy

I would guess the 55 will be made available in October. This is a guess based on the October ship dates of the 50 and 95. I can't decide for you if waiting is the thing to do or not. I can just give you what info I can. Right now it looks like the replacement will have lens shift memory and a wireless option. We do not know what lens will be used. If it gets the lens from the 95, then that will also be an improvement, but I suspect there will be a price increase if that happens. So you just have to decide if the 50 fits well for you or if the 55 with it's new features and an unknown price is a better way to go.

Seegs108 07-07-2013 06:46 PM

Depending on the price, this could be a great projector. The HW50ES had a lot going for it. These upgrades really add the wanted features the 50ES didn't have. Nicer lens, lens memory, and hopefully a nice bump in contrast and brightness could make this projector a real value.

Mike Garrett 07-08-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Depending on the price, this could be a great projector. The HW50ES had a lot going for it. These upgrades really add the wanted features the 50ES didn't have. Nicer lens, lens memory, and hopefully a nice bump in contrast and brightness could make this projector a real value.

I am not expecting a bump in brightness over the current HW50ES. Not really expecting a bump in contrast either, but I see an outside shot for that.

bobpaule 07-08-2013 07:25 AM

To answer earlier post, while using the Sony VW90ES SXRD panels HC5/HC9000D have glass optics unlike the plastics used in models 3x the price, cine4home explains:http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projektoren/MitsubishiHC9000/HC9000Test.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhc5%2Bcine4home%26client%3Dchrome-mobile%26rlz%3D1Y3LUNP_enUS513US513%26espv%3D1

booga24 07-08-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Depending on the price, this could be a great projector. The HW50ES had a lot going for it. These upgrades really add the wanted features the 50ES didn't have. Nicer lens, lens memory, and hopefully a nice bump in contrast and brightness could make this projector a real value.

I'm really having second thoughts about ordering the HW50, with the wait time I get my projector in August. Why not wait one more month to see what HW55 is about, after all this would be my first projector (after years of doing research) and I start my theater build in Sept (moving to a new place). Then again do I need the added features? it would be nice not cut dry wall and run cables (WHDMI), stretch 2.35 movies to full 16.9 screen to avoid top and bottom bars (lens memory).

Still thinking.

mbw23air 07-08-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booga24 View Post

I'm really having second thoughts about ordering the HW50, with the wait time I get my projector in August. Why not wait one more month to see what HW55 is about, after all this would be my first projector (after years of doing research) and I start my theater build in Sept (moving to a new place). Then again do I need the added features? it would be nice not cut dry wall and run cables (WHDMI), stretch 2.35 movies to full 16.9 screen to avoid top and bottom bars (lens memory).

Still thinking.

If I were you I would wait since it is this close to Cedia. Once you have a projector where you can walk up to the screen and get the projector's focus dead on with the remote you will never want a manual focus projector. Plus the HW50 might sell for cheaper after the HW55 is out, plus another manufacturer might come out with an even better projector value.

Mike


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.