ups for projectors - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 70 Old 08-31-2013, 08:16 AM
Senior Member
 
squigly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hanging out at AVS is costing me a fortune. LOL. I've gone from getting a cheap projejctor for under $1000 to one at $2900. Now a UPS (still have to get it) but worse than that I'm going to get an electrician in and do it right. The outlet in the ceiling is getting power from the wall where the dimmer switches are. He is going to run that wire through to the laundry room and to the electrical panel and give it it's own breaker. Then connect it to the UPS so that when I plug the projector into the ceiling outlet it will be on UPS. Or something like that. He know what I need and knows what he's doing.

So 1000va/600w would be sufficient for the UPS?
squigly1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 70 Old 09-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
squigly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So is it OK to use a regular ups or do I need one designed or so they say for AV equipment. APC has this http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=J25B&total_watts=400

I can save $100+ and get a CP1000PFCLCD.
squigly1 is offline  
post #33 of 70 Old 09-02-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,966
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2015 Post(s)
Liked: 1910
I think in most cases it's 'snake oil'. all good electronics have the same kind of circuitry built into them to prevent voltage spikes from affecting performance. maybe once in a 100 thousand times it'll save a capacitor or something, but I don't think it's cheap insurance personally.

but I would absolutely encourage you to do your own research on the subject. I just came to the conclusion that no matter what you use there's a risk of damage, and I didn't feel that risk was very high to begin with, so the reduced risk of the pure sine wave, or extra bells and whistles wasn't really the point of the UPS. it was to keep the power flowing long enough to shut down my gear safely, and so far the cyberpower ones have done exactly that for me.

I would think 1000VA's would be plenty for just a projector. but with what I assume your electrician will be doing, i'm thinking the price of the UPS itself won't be the major cost. so if there's anything else you might want to have protected as well, it might make more sense to spend the extra 30 or 50bux to get a 1350VA or 1500VA.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 70 Old 09-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
 
squigly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The only thing the electrician is doing is wiring so the outlet in the ceiling is connected to a UPS which will be near the electrical panel. The STB, BDP, etc. which will be below the screen will plug into a seperate UPS. With the added cost of letting the electrician do his thing for the projector I may just opt for the 1000VA UPS.
squigly1 is offline  
post #35 of 70 Old 09-02-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,061
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2442 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I think in most cases it's 'snake oil'. all good electronics have the same kind of circuitry built into them to prevent voltage spikes

but I would absolutely encourage you to do your own research on the subject. I just came to the conclusion that no matter what you use there's a risk of damage, and I didn't feel that risk was very high to begin with, so the reduced risk of the pure sine wave, or extra bells and whistles wasn't really the point of the UPS. it was to keep the power flowing long enough to shut down my gear safely, and so far the cyberpower ones have done exactly that for me.

I would think 1000VA's would be plenty for just a projector. but with what I assume your electrician will be doing, i'm thinking the price of the UPS itself won't be the major cost. so if there's anything else you might want to have protected as well, it might make more sense to spend the extra 30 or 50bux to get a 1350VA or 1500VA.

I agree with this, the main purpose of the UPS is to keep the power up long enough to shut down, though in some parts of the US the quality of electricity is not as good, there can be brownouts or voltage dips, and those can damage electronics. Depends where you live, most well-to-do neighborhoods aren't going to have the problem as much.

That said, some electronics are made cheaply, and in that case the Voltage Regulated UPS may save you. UPS's are cheap enough where it's worth the extra piece of mind.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is offline  
post #36 of 70 Old 09-03-2013, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dholmes54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmonton, Kentucky
Posts: 1,863
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Do you guys leave your ups on even when your not using your projector?
dholmes54 is offline  
post #37 of 70 Old 09-03-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,982
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

Do you guys leave your ups on even when your not using your projector?
Yes, the cable box and HDMI switch are plugged in so why turn it off. Even off it is going to use power so let it on, especially if runs self tests.. I have the LED and alarm turned off but leave them all on even the one for just the projector.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

 
airscapes is online now  
post #38 of 70 Old 09-03-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,966
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2015 Post(s)
Liked: 1910
I also leave mine on, but like above, it's powering many things.

on one I have: receiver, xbox, ps3, wii. and on the non-battery plugs I have cable, tv, dvd player, power hdmi splitter

on the second: HTPC, half a dozen ext HDD's, router, wifi. non-battery plugs power the printer, a small tv, and a couple misc chargers

the HTPC runs all the time as it's basically a server for the other pc's I have hooked up to TV's around the house. for me it's definitely not convenient or practical to turn off the UPS's as i'm using something plugged into them almost constantly. I suppose if I were to go away for a week or two on vacation, it would be very easy to simply turn off the UPS instead of unplugging all my gear though, assuming I didn't have tv shows I wanted to pvr while I was gone tongue.gif

both mine are 'greenpower' which supposedly reduces the amount of wasted energy when they sit idle. it shouldn't be much more costly than leaving your projector plugged in when not using it.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #39 of 70 Old 09-03-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,966
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2015 Post(s)
Liked: 1910
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigly1 View Post

The only thing the electrician is doing is wiring so the outlet in the ceiling is connected to a UPS which will be near the electrical panel. The STB, BDP, etc. which will be below the screen will plug into a seperate UPS. With the added cost of letting the electrician do his thing for the projector I may just opt for the 1000VA UPS.

oh, I thought he was running a completely new circuit and wiring in the ceiling(I assumed the ceiling was finished) which would have been a fair amount of work. definitely better off spending the money on a second UPS for your receiver etc than for that apc one you posted.

I got the 1000va for around 100bux. if you can wait, grab one on sale. i'd say 120 would be about my cut off point to pull the trigger. the best is if you can find one place that price matches with a high price and then another with it on sale. that's how I got mine for the price I did. if there's a memoryexpress close to you, that's the way to go. just print off some prices you find online and take it to the store and ask for a price match.

some possible PM opportunities:$131 http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3836360&CatId=234
$127 http://www.amazon.ca/CyberPower-CP1000AVRLCD-9-Outlet-Intelligent-1000VA/dp/B000QZ3UG0
memoryexpress has it listed at 150 currently, so you'd be looking around 125 after price beat

you could try the 1500VA as well: $170 http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=42010&promoid=1190
at memoryexpress it's $210, and I believe they do a 25% price beat, so you'd get it for around $160

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #40 of 70 Old 09-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Senior Member
 
squigly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

oh, I thought he was running a completely new circuit and wiring in the ceiling(I assumed the ceiling was finished) which would have been a fair amount of work. definitely better off spending the money on a second UPS for your receiver etc than for that apc one you posted.

I got the 1000va for around 100bux. if you can wait, grab one on sale. i'd say 120 would be about my cut off point to pull the trigger. the best is if you can find one place that price matches with a high price and then another with it on sale. that's how I got mine for the price I did. if there's a memoryexpress close to you, that's the way to go. just print off some prices you find online and take it to the store and ask for a price match.

some possible PM opportunities:$131 http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3836360&CatId=234
$127 http://www.amazon.ca/CyberPower-CP1000AVRLCD-9-Outlet-Intelligent-1000VA/dp/B000QZ3UG0
memoryexpress has it listed at 150 currently, so you'd be looking around 125 after price beat

you could try the 1500VA as well: $170 http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=42010&promoid=1190
at memoryexpress it's $210, and I believe they do a 25% price beat, so you'd get it for around $160

I'm no electrician haha. I believe he is taking the power for the ceiling outlet which is coming from the wall where the dimmers are and running it to the panel in the laundry room. He will connect it to a new breaker so it on its own. Somehow, and I'm not sure how, he will the run a connection from that breaker to a new plug near where the panel is. I plug the UPS into that outlet. He'll run another connection from that breaker and plug it into the UPS. When I plug in the projector to the ceiling it is then connected to the UPS. Until I get the UPS the outlet in the ceiling will still work. As I said I'm no electrician so I'm probably describing this incorrectly. He knows what I want and said it would be no problem. I was just going to run an extension cord from a UPS in the room to the ceiling but he didn't like that idea. What does he care about my money. As long as it works I'll be happy and It will look better than running an extension cord. He should be here Friday and I'll report back.

As for the UPS, I was thinking about the CP1000PFCLCD rather than the AVRLCD. The PFC is the Pure Sinewave model. Best Direct has it for $144 with free shipping, The Receiver, STB, BDP will be on a smaller rated APC UPS which I should replace with a higher rated one as the receiver was never plugged into the battery side as I didn't use it to watch regular TV. The power never went off while I've had it on but now that I'm getting a projector the receiver will be on all the time so the UPS will need more capacity. Since I'm going to use a UPS with the receiver I should get a 1500va for it. I'm guessing 900w is enough for it and the few other things that will be plugged into the UPS.

The only question is do I need the PFC model or not?
squigly1 is offline  
post #41 of 70 Old 09-03-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dholmes54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmonton, Kentucky
Posts: 1,863
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 145
thanks, ill just leave it on.
dholmes54 is offline  
post #42 of 70 Old 09-04-2013, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,966
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2015 Post(s)
Liked: 1910
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigly1 View Post

I'm no electrician haha. I believe he is taking the power for the ceiling outlet which is coming from the wall where the dimmers are and running it to the panel in the laundry room. He will connect it to a new breaker so it on its own. Somehow, and I'm not sure how, he will the run a connection from that breaker to a new plug near where the panel is. I plug the UPS into that outlet. He'll run another connection from that breaker and plug it into the UPS. When I plug in the projector to the ceiling it is then connected to the UPS. Until I get the UPS the outlet in the ceiling will still work. As I said I'm no electrician so I'm probably describing this incorrectly. He knows what I want and said it would be no problem. I was just going to run an extension cord from a UPS in the room to the ceiling but he didn't like that idea. What does he care about my money. As long as it works I'll be happy and It will look better than running an extension cord. He should be here Friday and I'll report back.

As for the UPS, I was thinking about the CP1000PFCLCD rather than the AVRLCD. The PFC is the Pure Sinewave model. Best Direct has it for $144 with free shipping, The Receiver, STB, BDP will be on a smaller rated APC UPS which I should replace with a higher rated one as the receiver was never plugged into the battery side as I didn't use it to watch regular TV. The power never went off while I've had it on but now that I'm getting a projector the receiver will be on all the time so the UPS will need more capacity. Since I'm going to use a UPS with the receiver I should get a 1500va for it. I'm guessing 900w is enough for it and the few other things that will be plugged into the UPS.

The only question is do I need the PFC model or not?

running extension cord wouldn't work, you can't run stranded wires in-wall. doesn't matter though, as long as your guy knows what you want you should be golden.

doesn't really matter which UPS you go with, i'd still try to use somebody's pricematch policy(memoryexpress is just the best I've used) to get it even cheaper.i think the PFC models are specifically designed for PFC power supplies used by some computer manufacturers. it's pretty unlikely you'd need that feature for any other electronics(although you probably want to double check whatever you intend to plug in isn't PFC). I went with the avr model I posted, and it's been just fine(my gear has run off battery power 3 or 4 times), but i'm no expert either.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #43 of 70 Old 09-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
 
squigly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i didn't mean run the extension cord inside the ceiling but rather either down to the back of the room and then down to the floor where I'd put the UPS or across the room to the side wall, down to the floor and then down to the back of the room to the UPS. In both cases I could have used raceways to make it look better. In the end the electrician did his thing. A few holes in the ceiling in the hall and then ran the wire to the panel. Put it on its own breaker. Wired the breaker to an outlet and built a cord w/plug that currently plugs into the outlet. With that, the outlet in the ceiling has power. From the panel area if I disconnect the plug or flip the breaker the projector gets no power. Once I get the UPS I unplug the cord in that outlet near the panel and plug it into the UPS. Plug the UPS into the outlet and the projector is now connected to the UPS. At least that is the way it is supposed to work.

Now to get a UPS and hopefully one on sale.
squigly1 is offline  
post #44 of 70 Old 09-07-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,966
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2015 Post(s)
Liked: 1910
i think that is exactly what i'll do when i find a good deal. i'll replaced my 1000VA i'm using for my tv, receiver, game consoles, etc with a 1500VA(the 1000VA isn't enough to power the TV, so i had to remove that from the battery backed up outlets) and move the 1000VA to the floor near the projector. then run the solid core wiring from the outlet already installed in the ceiling to another outlet i'll install near the floor (making the floor outlet effectively the 'input' for the ceiling power), and then i just need to run an extension cord from the UPS to the 'input' socket. might be slightly confusing to others if i ever move out, but should be legal and certainly not dangerous

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #45 of 70 Old 09-23-2013, 05:44 AM
Member
 
wsanford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Currently $94 at my local Costco.

Denon AVR-X4000
Onkyo M-5130
Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT60
SVS Dual-PB12-NSD, a pair
Pioneer Andrew Jones
Cambridge Soundworks Dipole rear center
X-Rite EODIS3 i1Display/Calman5 Control
Denon AH-D600 headphones
wsanford is offline  
post #46 of 70 Old 04-26-2014, 10:33 PM
Senior Member
 
obonillaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Any experience with these pure sine wave power conditioners/ups from Cyberpower? I find so hard to believe that those devices from Cyberpower really delivers based on the high prices of the competitors like APC, Panamax, etc...
obonillaf is offline  
post #47 of 70 Old 04-26-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,279
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2545 Post(s)
Liked: 2216
I've been running a Cyberpower for about the last month with my RS4810. So far, so good.
DavidHir is online now  
post #48 of 70 Old 04-26-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,061
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2442 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by obonillaf View Post

Any experience with these pure sine wave power conditioners/ups from Cyberpower? I find so hard to believe that those devices from Cyberpower really delivers based on the high prices of the competitors like APC, Panamax, etc...

I've run more than 10 projectors on a Cyberpower that isn't even pure-sine and it's now about 5-6 years old I believe, still works great even on its original battery.
Never had a problem with a Cyberpower, APCs on the other hand, had plenty of problems with them. Cyberpower has been delivering for low cost for years.
obonillaf and Swervepf like this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is offline  
post #49 of 70 Old 04-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
obonillaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Is it ok to use an extension cord between the projector and the UPS? I ask this because of the place I'm going to install the projector I can't place the UPS next to it and the projector power cord isn't long enough to reach the UPS. THank you.
obonillaf is offline  
post #50 of 70 Old 04-28-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,966
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2015 Post(s)
Liked: 1910
as long as it's of sufficient gauge, shouldn't be an issue

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #51 of 70 Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 PM
Senior Member
 
obonillaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

as long as it's of sufficient gauge, shouldn't be an issue

Thank you.
obonillaf is offline  
post #52 of 70 Old 09-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Member
 
prince.nothing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: MLP
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This is a very useful thread for a newbie, such as myself. I was thinking of getting a power conditioner for my projector, but now will get a UPS instead. Am leaning towards the CP1000PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS

To the battery backed up sockets I could connect:
1. Projector
2. DVR
3. Logitech Harmony Hub

To the regular surge protected sockets I could connect:
1. A/V Receiver
2. TV
3. Roku3
4. PS4

What do you guys think? Also, my electrician has setup a dedicated 20amp line near where my media rack will be. I see that the UPS is rated for 15amps, so do I loose the benefits of a 20amp line if I power my electronics from a 15amp UPS?

My Home Theater Build: Geeky Talkies
prince.nothing is offline  
post #53 of 70 Old 08-18-2018, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Do You Use a UPS with Your PJ?

UPSs (Uninterruptible Power Supplies) are used with equipment which must keep on working during a power outage, e.g. computers, so unsaved work is not lost. Many models also can regulate the mains voltage and provide surge protection.

But do you use UPSs with your A/V equipment and in particular with your PJs? If yes, which type do you use:

(a) square wave (the old type);
(b) step-approximated sine wave; or
(c) pure sine wave?

And what power rating?

I’ve got an APC BN1500M2 (1500 VA / 900 W; step-approximated sine wave) UPS which I use to provide back-up power to my Internet modem, router, ATA and telephones. It works perfectly well for this setup, providing more than three hours of backup power during an outage.

Neverheless, I do not think a UPS is necessary for my A/V equipment but I connected the one I have to my Panasonic TC-P65VT50 Plasma TV in the bedroom. The typical buzzing noise that the TV’s power supply makes during normal operation became quite loud when on battery backup power. This could be because of the not perfectly sinusoidal shape of the power wave. Needless to say I did not have the courage to connect my (expensive) VPL-VW1100ES to the UPS.

What’s your take on using a UPS in the A/V room?
Michael9009 is offline  
post #54 of 70 Old 08-18-2018, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,982
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 419
I have 4 of these http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/produc...1000/P-BR1000G
Won't miss any of Game of Thrones should there be a power blip.. Planar and all gear for video, audio, and network are plugged into these with NO noise or other issues.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

 
airscapes is online now  
post #55 of 70 Old 08-18-2018, 10:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
acras13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles , CA
Posts: 1,057
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 293
"running extension cord wouldn't work, you can't run stranded wires in-wall. doesn't matter though, as long as your guy knows what you want you should be golden."

You can run stranderd wire in wall , there is no code prohibiting it as long as it's in an approved manner (in conduit or romex , #10 and larger is commonly stranded wire) extension cord can never be run in wall


Quote:
Originally Posted by obonillaf View Post
Is it ok to use an extension cord between the projector and the UPS? I ask this because of the place I'm going to install the projector I can't place the UPS next to it and the projector power cord isn't long enough to reach the UPS. THank you.
Make sure that it's protected from damage , if it's going to be someplace that it gets walked on check it regularly for damage . Extension cords are considered temporary power delivery items.


Quote:
Originally Posted by prince.nothing;[B
What do you guys think? Also, my electrician has setup a dedicated 20amp line near where my media rack will be. I see that the UPS is rated for 15amps, so do I loose the benefits of a 20amp line if I power my electronics from a 15amp UPS?[/B]
Yes , anything plugged into the UPS will be limited to it's 15amp max rating , but the outlet is still 20 amp , you could plug something that doesn't need to be on the ups into the other half of that outlet .

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
acras13 is offline  
post #56 of 70 Old 08-21-2018, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Do you use UPSs with your A/V equipment and in particular with your PJs? If yes, which type do you use:

(a) square wave (the old type);
(b) step-approximated sine wave; or
(c) pure sine wave?

Is it important for the PJ that the UPS is type (c)? Does it make any difference?

And what power is the UPS you use with your PJ rated for?
Michael9009 is offline  
post #57 of 70 Old 08-21-2018, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,982
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
Do you use UPSs with your A/V equipment and in particular with your PJs? If yes, which type do you use:

(a) square wave (the old type);
(b) step-approximated sine wave; or
(c) pure sine wave?

Is it important for the PJ that the UPS is type (c)? Does it make any difference?

And what power is the UPS you use with your PJ rated for?
Look up 3 posts Click link for UPS info
I highly doubt anything really cares about Pure sine wave other than the companies manufacturing them. For a projector it makes no difference.. well it does.. makes a difference in how much money is left over to use for useful things!

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 120"
http://www.airscapesart.com

 

Last edited by airscapes; 08-21-2018 at 08:28 AM.
airscapes is online now  
post #58 of 70 Old 08-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
DigitalAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United States of Advertising
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Pure sine wave is only required for active PFC power supplies which I can't imagine any projector having. You just need one with enough juice to 1) keep it running during a brown out, and 2) safely power down your projector in the event of a black-out so the cool down fans keep running after the bulb turns off. A big Sony projector with a big bulb might require quite a bit of juice...maybe 700w+

DigitalAV is offline  
post #59 of 70 Old 08-22-2018, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Thanks. That’s what I thought, too.

But when I connected the APC BN1500M2 UPS to my Panasonic TC-P65VT50 plasma TV, on battery power, the TV’s power supply was buzzing loudly, much stronger than in normal operation (on AC power). So I’m not sure if there may be a risk to damage the TV or, by extension, the PJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAV View Post
Pure sine wave is only required for active PFC power supplies which I can't imagine any projector having. You just need one with enough juice to 1) keep it running during a brown out, and 2) safely power down your projector in the event of a black-out so the cool down fans keep running after the bulb turns off. A big Sony projector with a big bulb might require quite a bit of juice...maybe 700w+
Michael9009 is offline  
post #60 of 70 Old 08-22-2018, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
DigitalAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United States of Advertising
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Oh, dang! I have an Epson 3700 on a Back-UPS 750 and haven't noticed any odd behavior (though, I wasn't looking for it). Perhaps plasmas have something akin to active pfc power supplies? Total guess.

DigitalAV is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6020ub 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off