Advice Needed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-23-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering a projector setup for a rec room. The room is not a dedicated media room so there is ambient light (not too bright as it is in a walk-out basement) with a window on the side (not opposite) the possible screen location. Not sure I want to watch everythin in the complete dark anyways. Is there a projector/screen setup that would work for a setup. I would go with a plasma/led setup, but want a screen size of 85" plus (up to 100") and think Sharp's picture is questionable. I would prefer to spend less than $10k for the projector and screen and install. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-23-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2455 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
Not enough information, depends on EXACTLY how much ambient light and what the most important aspects to your viewing are.

Gaming Lag?
(will people care about competitive FPS games)

Black Levels?
(do you want the best contrast)

Sharpness?
(will HTPC usage be a primary function of the device)

Brightness?

(when you say ambient light, how much are we talking, can you not cover the window with a curtain?)
---Are we talking enough light to barely and uncomfortably read a newspaper, or are we talking enough light to do hours of paperwork?

Setup Flexibility?

(how high are your ceilings, how far back will the projector be mounted)

Price Flexibility?

(do you really want to spend the most you can to get the most premium setup, or are you just thinking that's what you needed to spend to get a good setup)
---Hence you can spend much less than $10,000 and still get a good setup, it's just there will be some compromises.

Movies vs. Gaming vs. General TV vs Sports?

Is the primary usage movies or something else?

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #3 of 4 Old 08-23-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the questions. Not sure how to measure ambient light. There is a sliding glass door and window on the side of the room. We can close shades for both, but they are not blackout. I would say the light is medium. The room is in shadows most of the day given it is in a walk-out basement and there is a deck above the slider and window.

As for the room. The projector would be approximately 14-15 feet from the screen and the ceiling is 9 feet.

The primary uses would be watching football and movies (both Blu Ray and streaming through Apple TV). Although we would also be connecting a Xbox and Wii. The Xbox is mostly used for FPS games, but not overly concerned about lag as I am not overly competitive.

I can be flexible on price if it makes a material difference in the PQ.

I am mostly concerned about general PQ, but I would not say I am as picky as many on the forums. I do not use a HTPC.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-23-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2455 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
I saw the giant 90"+ Sharp TV's at an electronics store called Conn's, though they were not calibrated I also though the picture looked awful (lacking contrast).

You do not need to spend more than that as that budget should be high enough, all I meant was the difference between $1000 projectors and $5000 projectors isn't as large as it used to be, the main difference is features and black levels. You are already taking a hit to your black levels from the ambient light, so brightness might be more important for you than absolute contrast (though I imagine you could just watch dark movies at night when there is less ambient light through the window).

The Sony hw50es sounds like one to take a look at, but given the ambient light issues, you might also look at the Epson 5020 as a lower-cost alternative. The Sony has the better picture. You could also consider a JVC, but I think given the amount of ambient light, the added black level wouldn't help all that much.

Of the three, my guess is that the Sony fits you the best if you can budget it (it's about $4000). The Sony does not intrinsically support CIH / 2.35 wide format screens, so you'd have to go with a 16:9 screen for this. I'm assuming you prefer a 16:9 screen anyhow since you'll mainly use your setup for mixed viewing.

You could save a ton of money by just getting a $1000 projector like the Benq w1070 (or the newer soon to be released w1500), since your black levels are going to take a hit anyways from the ambient light, I'm not sure the Sony would be all that much better in your setup. Though the Sony is a lot quieter if that matters.

Ambient light and projectors do not mix well, just a warning.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ube Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Wireless Front Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page