Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 135 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 397Likes

post #4021 of 6195 Old 11-05-2014, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I just downloaded the new firmware onto my Toshiba laptop (Portege Ultrabook with Windows 8.1 Pro). When I get home tonight I will try to upgrade the firmware and will report back with any problems. Fingers crossed. Hoping I don't have any issues with Windows 8 as others here have reported.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4022 of 6195 Old 11-05-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
I just downloaded the new firmware onto my Toshiba laptop (Portege Ultrabook with Windows 8.1 Pro). When I get home tonight I will try to upgrade the firmware and will report back with any problems. Fingers crossed. Hoping I don't have any issues with Windows 8 as others here have reported.
I used Windows 8.1 with no issues whatsoever, so whatever problem these people are having, it isn't with Windows. Just follow the instructions to a tee.
AnnapolisSony likes this.
post #4023 of 6195 Old 11-05-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12851 Post(s)
Liked: 10486
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenkent View Post
Does anyone know when the 5030 will start shipping with the new firmware upgrade already installed? Oh, and how long will this new sale last?
No end date was given.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4024 of 6195 Old 11-05-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 316
There is no firmware upgrade mentioned on the Epson support area. What are you referring to?

post #4025 of 6195 Old 11-05-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post
There is no firmware upgrade mentioned on the Epson support area. What are you referring to?
You can find it here.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...noteoid=265501
post #4026 of 6195 Old 11-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
I used Windows 8.1 with no issues whatsoever, so whatever problem these people are having, it isn't with Windows. Just follow the instructions to a tee.
I just followed the directions 9 times to a tee and this is what's happening. Just after I copy the file into the EPSON_PJ folder, it appears as if it is loaded onto the PJ. I can see the file on the comp screen. I've even jumped to other drives on my comp and then come back to the D drive (EPSON_PJ folder) to make sure the 3111.bin file is still in there. It is.

The next step says to safely eject the PJ from my comp. I go to the D drive, right click and choose eject. A little window pops up on my comp saying it is safely ejected blah, blah, blah. I can no longer see the D drive on my computer so it would appear the comp no longer senses the PJ. All is great.

Next step says to disconnect the mini-USB from the PJ (while it is still on) and then the lights should flash and the firmware update starts. The INSTANT I pull the mini-USB from the back of the PJ it KILLS THE POWER immediately. It's like the firmware doesn't get a chance to begin upgrading. I power on the PJ and it still says 100V firmware.

I really suspect that it has something to do with the ejection process. Man, it looks like my only option is to find a laptop that is pre Windows 8 and try it with that. So ^%$*ing frustrating. I have double checked all of my moves 9 times over and I've done everything right. 9 freaking times.

Any suggestions?
post #4027 of 6195 Old 11-05-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As I've mentioned before, I suspect these problems may occur if you're using a USB 3.0 port. I would try using a USB 2.0 port if you have one and see what happens.

Someone mentioned earlier that rebooting into Safe Mode and then performing the upgrade worked for him, so you could try that.
post #4028 of 6195 Old 11-05-2014, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As I've mentioned before, I suspect these problems may occur if you're using a USB 3.0 port. I would try using a USB 2.0 port if you have one and see what happens.

Someone mentioned earlier that rebooting into Safe Mode and then performing the upgrade worked for him, so you could try that.
Thanks for the suggestions Kilgore. I tried rebooting in safe mode and unfortunately it did not work.

I didn't feel like waiting until tomorrow to bring home an old laptop from the office so I brought down my kids old DELL desktop tower with Vista Home Premium on it (the thing is a dinosaur). Loaded up the FW file on it and hooked it up to the PJ with the mini-USB. Worked perfectly. LOL.

Well, the good news is that the picture looks FANTASTIC with the new FW so I couldn't be happier. No clue why it's not working with my Toshiba Portege (Windows 8.1 Pro) but at least this post will serve as a warning to those that may run into the same problem.
old corps and climber07 like this.
post #4029 of 6195 Old 11-05-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Again, I suspect your Toshiba probably has USB 3.0 ports. I'm using a PC with Windows 8.1 and loads of USB 2.0 ports (plus two USB 3.0). I had no problem with the update.

Everyone with a problem goes to an older PC and has no trouble. Probably, because the older PC (like yours) has USB 2.0 or earlier. Many USB 2.0 devices are finicky with USB 3.0 ports. I suspect the Epson PC is USB 2.0.

Anyway, glad you got the update sorted.
post #4030 of 6195 Old 11-06-2014, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by willymo View Post
OK, I finally got firmware version 111! It looks great! Definitely an improvement. I've got it set to #2 and on my 100 inch screen, it looks dynamite. I find that 3 or more makes the picture look artificial. Now, it's much sharper, so I say 1 or 2 the most.
Windows 8.1 - I had to use a windows 7 pc to install it. Epson responded to my inquiry that it should work with window 8, but if not to "try a different computer". There is probable a windows 8 issue with some PC's (mine is a toshiba laptop). When I would unplug it, the projector would shut off and not copy the file. With the windows 7 laptop, it worked perfectly.

I think the upgrage is definitely worth it! Being free is just icing on the cake. I had a darbee for about a week and had to return it because it stopped working (last year). I never bothered replacing it. This upgrade does something similar, albeit a bit more subtle and refined (in my opinion). It makes the picture look sharper and more cinematic, without looking fake or over processed. Gonna watch Edge of Tomorrow later. Have a great weekend all!
I watched x men days of future past and found that SR set to 3 looked GREAT. I guess you have to experiment...
post #4031 of 6195 Old 11-06-2014, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Again, I suspect your Toshiba probably has USB 3.0 ports. I'm using a PC with Windows 8.1 and loads of USB 2.0 ports (plus two USB 3.0). I had no problem with the update.

Everyone with a problem goes to an older PC and has no trouble. Probably, because the older PC (like yours) has USB 2.0 or earlier. Many USB 2.0 devices are finicky with USB 3.0 ports. I suspect the Epson PC is USB 2.0.

Anyway, glad you got the update sorted.
It's not a USB 3.0 issue. I had the problem with an Acer netbook with Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit and USB 2.0 ports. It worked fine on a Dell notebook with Windows 7 Pro 32 bit and USB 2.0 ports.
post #4032 of 6195 Old 11-07-2014, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
It's not a USB 3.0 issue. I had the problem with an Acer netbook with Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit and USB 2.0 ports. It worked fine on a Dell notebook with Windows 7 Pro 32 bit and USB 2.0 ports.

Well, it's not a Windows 8.1 issue since it worked fine on my ASUS Desktop with Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Perhaps the ports on your netbook are underpowered, but the ports on your notebook are not. Just throwing it out there.
post #4033 of 6195 Old 11-07-2014, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hy ! can someone tell if u play a 3d movie side by side ,u need to take the remote and choose every time side by side format ? or u can leave it on auto and thats it ? thanks ,sorry about my bad english
post #4034 of 6195 Old 11-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 326
I've had my 5030UB set up for a week now and while I'm very impressed with the picture quality, there is one thing that bothers me a bit:

Every time I turn it on it's a little out of focus and I have to readjust it. It's not much but it's clearly visible on the built-in pattern where the lower half is a little off. I can also see it if I'm watching something with a sharp transfer (I noticed while watching Maleficent). The readjustment is easy enough and fortunately I'm tall enough to reach it on its shelf, but is this normal and to be expected?

Equipment and collection:
Spoiler!
post #4035 of 6195 Old 11-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have a 6030 but is basically the same projector. It is never out of focus so I have to assume it would not be normal for your 5030. What might cause it I have no idea.

shortspark
post #4036 of 6195 Old 11-09-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 2597
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
I've had my 5030UB set up for a week now and while I'm very impressed with the picture quality, there is one thing that bothers me a bit:

Every time I turn it on it's a little out of focus and I have to readjust it. It's not much but it's clearly visible on the built-in pattern where the lower half is a little off. I can also see it if I'm watching something with a sharp transfer (I noticed while watching Maleficent). The readjustment is easy enough and fortunately I'm tall enough to reach it on its shelf, but is this normal and to be expected?
It's most likely not the focus per se. You should perform a panel alignment. It will align the red,blue, and green LCD panels and dramatically sharpen your image from top to bottom. It takes about 20 to 30 minutes to get it, but it is a set it and forget it after you're done.
post #4037 of 6195 Old 11-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
It's most likely not the focus per se. You should perform a panel alignment. It will align the red,blue, and green LCD panels and dramatically sharpen your image from top to bottom. It takes about 20 to 30 minutes to get it, but it is a set it and forget it after you're done.
Thank you but I've done that. Everything looks fine and I can achieve great focus but it just doesn't stick. A small adjustment using the focus ring will bring it back. I simply didn't expect that I'd have to do that every time I turn it on and I'm wondering if it's normal.

Equipment and collection:
Spoiler!
post #4038 of 6195 Old 11-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Don't mess with the focus until the PJ has been on for several minutes and warmed up. I've read the lens can move just a bit as it warms up affecting the focus. Turn it on, let it get good and warm, then adjust the focus.

Also, are there vibrations above your PJ? At my last house the PJ was directly under the main hallway of the house. When the kids would go stomping by the lens position would shift. I guess the focus ring could as well.
post #4039 of 6195 Old 11-09-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I watched Noah last night on Epson 6030. The movie is dark in most parts and really shows how good the contrast and the blacks are in this projector. The only problem was I could not have SR more than 1 as the hills, rocks etc were shimmering badly. With other movies I could easily keep SR up to 4 with very good results. However, even at 1 Noah looked spectacular.
post #4040 of 6195 Old 11-09-2014, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Guys - quick question regarding panel alignment. Posted in the 6030 thread but got no replies so trying here.

To me, the alignment looks good OOTB, so is the any reason to perform the adjustment? Or should I not tinker with it? In that regard, even if for future reference, could anyone provide me with a step-by-step of how to do the alignment process? Thanks in advance.
post #4041 of 6195 Old 11-09-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokker View Post
Guys - quick question regarding panel alignment. Posted in the 6030 thread but got no replies so trying here.

To me, the alignment looks good OOTB, so is the any reason to perform the adjustment? Or should I not tinker with it? In that regard, even if for future reference, could anyone provide me with a step-by-step of how to do the alignment process? Thanks in advance.

If the alignment looks good, then don't tinker with it. Simple as that.

My 5030's convergence is spot on accurate. I didn't need to change anything. I checked the Panel Alignment and everything was dead on.
post #4042 of 6195 Old 11-09-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo Vadis View Post
I watched Noah last night on Epson 6030. The movie is dark in most parts and really shows how good the contrast and the blacks are in this projector. The only problem was I could not have SR more than 1 as the hills, rocks etc were shimmering badly. With other movies I could easily keep SR up to 4 with very good results. However, even at 1 Noah looked spectacular.
Hi - what medium were you using?

I noticed that with blu-ray, I can set SR to 4 and really notice the picture enhancement working perfectly and adding the sharpness that was missing in the picture before. However, if I watch an MKV rip of a BD, I notice the picture enhancement but also see ringing at 4 and need to tone it down to 3. Try and see if that's the case with you as well. Can't say what's causing that, though, and wondering if there's so etching in the picture settings that will help - such as reducing the sharpness, brightness, or other attributes. Will test and let you know. Cheers.

Last edited by Rokker; 11-09-2014 at 07:15 PM.
post #4043 of 6195 Old 11-09-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
If the alignment looks good, then don't tinker with it. Simple as that.

My 5030's convergence is spot on accurate. I didn't need to change anything. I checked the Panel Alignment and everything was dead on.
Thanks for getting back so quickly! Just one more question - how do you check the alignment? Does the projector generate a pattern for doing the same?
post #4044 of 6195 Old 11-09-2014, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Does the projector generate a pattern for doing the same?
Yes, there is a button with a hint on it near the bottom of the remote ...

It sounds like you might want to read the manual at least once through - all this stuff (generating a pattern, adjusting convergence, etc.) is in there in glorious detail. Have fun!
post #4045 of 6195 Old 11-09-2014, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Hi - what medium were you using?

I noticed that with blu-ray, I can set SR to 4 and really notice the picture enhancement working perfectly and adding the sharpness that was missing in the picture before. However, if I watch an MKV rip of a BD, I notice the picture enhancement but also see ringing at 4 and need to tone it down to 3. Try and see if that's the case with you as well. Can't say what's causing that, though, and wondering if there's so etching in the picture settings that will help - such as reducing the sharpness, brightness, or other attributes. Will test and let you know. Cheers.
I watched it on an original Blu ray. However, this happened only with this movie. I assume it could do something with how the movie has been filmed. Many of the hills/stones in the movie are dark and they were shimmering if SR is turned on too high. Most of the other movies I have been able to keep SR at 4 with excellent results although some scenes may show over enhancement. Are you referring specifically to this movie or generally with Blu Rays.
post #4046 of 6195 Old 11-10-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12851 Post(s)
Liked: 10486
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post

Make sure that the projector is warmed up. The panels move when warming up, so only inspect after warm up. Should go to the same place each time after warmup.
post #4047 of 6195 Old 11-10-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo Vadis View Post
I watched it on an original Blu ray. However, this happened only with this movie. I assume it could do something with how the movie has been filmed. Many of the hills/stones in the movie are dark and they were shimmering if SR is turned on too high. Most of the other movies I have been able to keep SR at 4 with excellent results although some scenes may show over enhancement. Are you referring specifically to this movie or generally with Blu Rays.
I've also noticed it on MKV movie rips other than Noah, hence my comment, but not as yet on any BD title.
post #4048 of 6195 Old 11-10-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
Yes, there is a button with a hint on it near the bottom of the remote ...

It sounds like you might want to read the manual at least once through - all this stuff (generating a pattern, adjusting convergence, etc.) is in there in glorious detail. Have fun!
D-uh, tell me about it!

Guess I've been too excited to just watch the damn thing as much as possible and set it up on the fly rather than (being lazy and) read through instructions. Or maybe that I'm old-fashioned and not used to the complete absence of a hard copy manual in the box? I swear I used to spend hours reading through every manual before and during set up and beyond up until the last couple of years. Guess I'll just print this one out to read and save for reference later. Thanks for the reply.
post #4049 of 6195 Old 11-10-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 2597
Quote:
D-uh, tell me about it!

Guess I've been too excited to just watch the damn thing as much as possible and set it up on the fly rather than (being lazy and) read through instructions. Or maybe that I'm old-fashioned and not used to the complete absence of a hard copy manual in the box? I swear I used to spend hours reading through every manual before and during set up and beyond up until the last couple of years. Guess I'll just print this one out to read and save for reference later. Thanks for the reply.
Don't print it man, put it on your phone and you can reference it while working on your projector...

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #4050 of 6195 Old 11-10-2014, 09:13 PM

Another great idea - thanks, will do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version