Official Epson EH-TW 9200 5030UB Owners' Thread - Page 204 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 395Likes

post #6091 of 6183 Old 10-20-2017, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Reporting back about some projector bulb findings for my 5030 (just in case anyone else ends up here looking for the same thing I was looking for)....

I ordered a new lamp from seller Projector Lamp Genie on NewEgg (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...33&ignorebbr=1) and while I have not yet installed the lamp, it does appear to be a genuine Epson lamp. The box is sealed with an Epson sticker label (including small Epson hologram), and inside the box is real looking documentation as well as the small metal tool for opening the lamp door.

I'll report back if I find anything wrong with it after installation, but so far it looks like a great deal on a genuine bulb.
xnappo and climber07 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6092 of 6183 Old 10-22-2017, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by redderflag View Post
Do you guys think the picture quality would be better if the source is 4K with this projector?
I read that when 4k video is downscaled to 1080p, it will have more information to provide than original 1080p content. Is that true? If yes, can 5030 make use of this information to provide a better picture quality?
Please share your experiences watching 4K content on this projector. Thanks!

Nope. Whatever the source it will be downscaled to 1080p. That’s the best the PJ can handle. The extra data will be stripped out. At that point you’re at the mercy of a consumer grade player downconverting to 1080p and would probably be worse than a professionally produced 1080p blu ray.

And I don’t think the HDMI ports are 4K compatible. During the handshake the 4K source will see the 5030 as having a max resolution of 1080p and will have to downsample or just not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6093 of 6183 Old 10-22-2017, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice54 View Post
Nope. Whatever the source it will be downscaled to 1080p. That’s the best the PJ can handle. The extra data will be stripped out. At that point you’re at the mercy of a consumer grade player downconverting to 1080p and would probably be worse than a professionally produced 1080p blu ray.

And I don’t think the HDMI ports are 4K compatible. During the handshake the 4K source will see the 5030 as having a max resolution of 1080p and will have to downsample or just not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply!

I understand the projector cannot handle more than 1080p..I would be using the HiMedia player to do the downscaling before it gets to the projector.

What I am looking for is information about chroma subsampling and difference between 4.2.0 and 4.4.4..these are just terms I find brandished about when suggesting the 4K downscaled to 1080p has more information (4.4.4)..BTW..I am noob and dont understand the full meaning of these terms.

I was curious to see if this is true or not and if the projector will use this additional chroma subsampling info (4.4.4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6094 of 6183 Old 10-23-2017, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
hi,

need some help with an issue im having with my 5030,

ive started having a really high pitch frequency beeping noise, my 5030 only has the noise in low brightness modes such as cinema or thx etc. but the sound always goes away on high brightness mode

im really suspecting a dying ballast

the noise is exactly the same as someone else has uploaded on youtube

any ideas?
post #6095 of 6183 Old 12-11-2017, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Has anyone found a - permanent - fix for flickering on low lamp mode? Mine has started doing it, at about 770 lamp hours. Running it on high for 30 minutes gives me 10 flicker-free minutes when I switch back to low lamp mode, but I'd like a permanent solution. High lamp mode is too noisy for me and I don't need the brightness.

I have to say that I'm done with Epson when this 5030 croaks for good. It's my 4th unit. So far:

Unit 1: developed flickering at around 450 lamp hours. Putting in a new lamp fixed it temporarily. At 500 hours on the new lamp it came back.
Unit 2: large dust blob pretty early on.
Unit 3: very poor uniformity. No point in calibrating since readings varied wildly depending on meter position.
Unit 4: my current one. Flickering at 770 hours.

While I appreciate the fact that Epson's customer service gave me warranty replacements for units 1-3, I'd appreciate some QC a hell of a lot more. I'm out of warranty now and will be looking for something else. Maybe a JVC.

Equipment and collection:
Spoiler!

Last edited by willieconway; 12-11-2017 at 08:44 PM.
post #6096 of 6183 Old 12-12-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by willieconway View Post
Has anyone found a - permanent - fix for flickering on low lamp mode? Mine has started doing it, at about 770 lamp hours. Running it on high for 30 minutes gives me 10 flicker-free minutes when I switch back to low lamp mode, but I'd like a permanent solution. High lamp mode is too noisy for me and I don't need the brightness.

I have to say that I'm done with Epson when this 5030 croaks for good. It's my 4th unit. So far:

Unit 1: developed flickering at around 450 lamp hours. Putting in a new lamp fixed it temporarily. At 500 hours on the new lamp it came back.
Unit 2: large dust blob pretty early on.
Unit 3: very poor uniformity. No point in calibrating since readings varied wildly depending on meter position.
Unit 4: my current one. Flickering at 770 hours.

While I appreciate the fact that Epson's customer service gave me warranty replacements for units 1-3, I'd appreciate some QC a hell of a lot more. I'm out of warranty now and will be looking for something else. Maybe a JVC.
I called Epson when mine started doing the exact same thing. There is no DIY fix. They stated that it was a power supply rail voltage problem and needed to be RMA'd for repair.
willieconway likes this.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #6097 of 6183 Old 12-12-2017, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
I called Epson when mine started doing the exact same thing. There is no DIY fix. They stated that it was a power supply rail voltage problem and needed to be RMA'd for repair.
Thank you. I just ordered a new lamp to tie me over until I'm more comfortable buying a new projector. I just hope I'll get closer to 700 than to 400 flicker-free hours out of it.
climber07 likes this.

Equipment and collection:
Spoiler!
post #6098 of 6183 Old 12-29-2017, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, posting related to a 6030 issue on a separate thread. Delete if you don't allow linking.

Epson 6030 distorted image - anyone seen this?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...yone-seen.html

Basically a distorted image issue. 5030 is basically same proj but more units out there so hoping someone seen this too...

Thanks.
post #6099 of 6183 Old 01-07-2018, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
5030UB -Lens shutter door not opening, bulb and temp lights flashing

I've had my Epson 5030UB for 5? years now, and have always been quite happy with it. I'd like to get another year or two out of it. Upon power up, the fans come on, and the ratcheting noise that accompanies the lens shutter door can be heard, but the door doesn't open. No power is applied to the lamp. The status light flashes blue, temp and bulb lights flash amber. I changed the bulb, and it had no affect. Is this still a bad bulb, the auto iris error, or is the shutter door stuck, or something else?
post #6100 of 6183 Old 01-07-2018, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post
I've had my Epson 5030UB for 5? years now, and have always been quite happy with it. I'd like to get another year or two out of it. Upon power up, the fans come on, and the ratcheting noise that accompanies the lens shutter door can be heard, but the door doesn't open. No power is applied to the lamp. The status light flashes blue, temp and bulb lights flash amber. I changed the bulb, and it had no affect. Is this still a bad bulb, the auto iris error, or is the shutter door stuck, or something else?
Well I'd say that the door not opening is a big problem. It's possible there is a sensor that detects if the door is open before allowing the lamp to be turned on. Have you tried manually opening the door or trying to assist it during the start up procedure?
post #6101 of 6183 Old 01-07-2018, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Mickunas View Post
Well I'd say that the door not opening is a big problem. It's possible there is a sensor that detects if the door is open before allowing the lamp to be turned on. Have you tried manually opening the door or trying to assist it during the start up procedure?
Yes, I did figure out that the door slides open pretty easily manually, so that's not it. Still, no power is applied to the lamp, and of course I don't see any on screen auto iris message that I've seen pictures of.
post #6102 of 6183 Old 01-19-2018, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys, I'm setting up a dedicated HT and been looking to get either a second hand 5030 or AT8000. My screen will be a 100" 2:35.1 DIY screen, and therefore I had my eye on the Panasonic due to its lens memory. However I've just found out it has a rear vent which is a major blow for me as I need to have the pj right against the wall (give or take an inch) to get this screen size.

To say this was a major disappointment is probably not true though as I've read many opinions saying the Epson has the better picture, which ultimately is most important to me. Although the lack of memory or powered controls is bad, I was wondering how much of a problem this is? Around 70% of my content is 2:35.1 material but I wouldn't mind having to fiddle with the controls if it will take only a couple minutes to get the whole screen filled and enjoy the next couple hours. Does anyone with a scope screen and this projector find this to be an ok compromise?

Also do any of the settings you've just set to fill the whole screen stay for next time? Or does the projector reset the zoom controls and you have to zoom in each time you watch a scope movie on a scope screen? Cheers
post #6103 of 6183 Old 01-19-2018, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 475
^^ The zoom and lens shift are both manual controls on the projector (not on the remote) so they stay where they are until you move them again.

As long as controls are easily reached you can make the change in 30 seconds or so. That's what I do and it's never been a problem. Depending on your mounting position you'll likely have to change lens shift as well as zoom, but it stays in focus (unless you accidentally turn the focus instead of zoom, which happens).

You can also press the Pattern button on the remote to project a full-screen pattern that makes it easy to see when you've zoomed to fill the screen exactly.
post #6104 of 6183 Old 01-19-2018, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^^ The zoom and lens shift are both manual controls on the projector (not on the remote) so they stay where they are until you move them again.

As long as controls are easily reached you can make the change in 30 seconds or so. That's what I do and it's never been a problem. Depending on your mounting position you'll likely have to change lens shift as well as zoom, but it stays in focus (unless you accidentally turn the focus instead of zoom, which happens).

You can also press the Pattern button on the remote to project a full-screen pattern that makes it easy to see when you've zoomed to fill the screen exactly.
Thanks this is exactly the response I was hoping for! The projector would be mounted on a shelf behind the listening position so easily accessible.

I was just a bit unsure about using a scope screen with this projector as having read this thread I got the impression it was a big issue not having lens memory, but great to know this is not the case, cheers

I guess the biggest concern was the rest of the family not being able to use the projector without me on full screen because they wouldn't know how to adjust the image. But since it stays the same as previously it shouldn't be a problem if the new film is in the same aspect ratio as the previous.

Last edited by RadXgold; 01-19-2018 at 06:46 AM.
post #6105 of 6183 Old 01-22-2018, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello

I bought this projector refurbished, to upgrade the Epson 8350. It´s my first time using 3D. There is no way I can watch the 3D content using VLC media player. I´m sorry if it was answered yet, but didn´t find it.
Im triyng to watch Valerian 3D.... mkv file (I gess is SbS because in regular playback see two images)
Settings:
VLC: Anaglyph marked in Effects (when that is marked, the image is only one)
in advanced Video, i choose 3D Glasses red left, green right (tried blue right and it is the same)

Proyector: set to 3D on, and Auto 3D (not Side by Side nor Up down,,,somthing like that)

3D Grasses: Epsons, the ones sent with the Pj.

There is no difference between using the glasses and do not using these
I can see bright colors in blue and green on the contour of the people and things....but thats all.....

I usually use MPC-HC player....but can find how to set the 3D on it

Can anyone help me?
Thanks
post #6106 of 6183 Old 01-22-2018, 10:29 AM

I forgot to mention I´m using Darbee too...
post #6107 of 6183 Old 01-22-2018, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijoeldotor View Post
Hello

I bought this projector refurbished, to upgrade the Epson 8350. It´s my first time using 3D. There is no way I can watch the 3D content using VLC media player. I´m sorry if it was answered yet, but didn´t find it.
Im triyng to watch Valerian 3D.... mkv file (I gess is SbS because in regular playback see two images)
Settings:
VLC: Anaglyph marked in Effects (when that is marked, the image is only one)
in advanced Video, i choose 3D Glasses red left, green right (tried blue right and it is the same)

Proyector: set to 3D on, and Auto 3D (not Side by Side nor Up down,,,somthing like that)

3D Grasses: Epsons, the ones sent with the Pj.

There is no difference between using the glasses and do not using these
I can see bright colors in blue and green on the contour of the people and things....but thats all.....

I usually use MPC-HC player....but can find how to set the 3D on it

Can anyone help me?
Thanks
You've set the video on your computer to send red-green anaglyph 3D images to the projector, which the projector is faithfully displaying - but in no way uses its 3D capabilities. As you've seen, the Epson active 3D glasses will do nothing with the provided image either - R/G anaglyph requires glasses with red and green 'lenses' (usually made of cardboard and cellophane). That early passive method of steering images to each eye using color filters has long since been replaced with polarized lens glasses in commercial theatres, and active synchronized glasses on HT projectors like the Epson. The 5030 is capable of displaying a very impressive full color 3D picture with the right source - do a little reading up on current 3D video technology and you'll have a better idea of why you've been disappointed with your results so far. Can't help you with the computer issues - never used that software for video output, so don't know if it's capable of generating a usable 3D signal for the projector.

Last edited by WestCDA; 01-23-2018 at 09:00 AM.
post #6108 of 6183 Old 01-24-2018, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 141
@mijoeldotor ,

Well since you have gone through all the trouble to buy the BlueRay, rip it, then convert it to HSBS... *cough*.

Play it normally in VLC, select SBS on the projector.

xnappo
post #6109 of 6183 Old 01-29-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
@mijoeldotor ,

Well since you have gone through all the trouble to buy the BlueRay, rip it, then convert it to HSBS... *cough*.

Play it normally in VLC, select SBS on the projector.

xnappo
Thank you very much! Problem solved!! hehe....feel like a newbie.....

I'm impressed of the picture quality in 3D!!
AlexanderDelarg likes this.
post #6110 of 6183 Old 02-04-2018, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I had the same issue. Epson replaced it under warranty but then it started happening on the replacement unit. Unfortunately, the replacement unit is only covered by the remainder of the original warranty which had just run out so I'm stuck with it now. Very frustrating.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
post #6111 of 6183 Old 02-04-2018, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee77ca View Post
Quote:
I had the same issue. Epson replaced it under warranty but then it started happening on the replacement unit. Unfortunately, the replacement unit is only covered by the remainder of the original warranty which had just run out so I'm stuck with it now. Very frustrating.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Are you handy with a screw driver? The power supply is the item that needs repaved most likely. You can order the part and replace it. I found this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintblues View Post
Hey everyone, got the replacement PSU, ripped the entire projector into bits. literally gave everything a clean and put it all back in with the new power supply unit and what do you know. back working beautifully!!!!!

cant believe epsons repairer said it was unfixable.. some of these guys literally work for money. fixed it myself, will be righting up a detailed post hopefully when i get some time!

thanks for everyones help!

most of epsons projectors all use the same PSU so this could be relevant to many epson projector models as well as the newer 5040ub thats just been released.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...

Last edited by climber07; 02-04-2018 at 11:59 AM.
post #6112 of 6183 Old 02-05-2018, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody know where to order the power supply and what the part number is, etc.? I'm interested in trying this as my bulb started flickering after a few hundred hours and I have to run it on normal power instead of eco. I wouldn't mind trying to swap the part if I can find it.

I found something called "OEM Projector Lamp Driver Ballast For Epson EH-TW6515C EH-TW9500C power supply" on Ebay but I don't know if that is what I want or not. It works with the following models
EH-TW6515C/TW8500C/TW8510C/TW8515C TW3300C/CH-TW8200/TW8200W/TW9200 EH-TW9500C/9510C/CH-TW7200
post #6113 of 6183 Old 02-06-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Anybody know where to order the power supply and what the part number is, etc.? I'm interested in trying this as my bulb started flickering after a few hundred hours and I have to run it on normal power instead of eco. I wouldn't mind trying to swap the part if I can find it.

I found something called "OEM Projector Lamp Driver Ballast For Epson EH-TW6515C EH-TW9500C power supply" on Ebay but I don't know if that is what I want or not. It works with the following models
EH-TW6515C/TW8500C/TW8510C/TW8515C TW3300C/CH-TW8200/TW8200W/TW9200 EH-TW9500C/9510C/CH-TW7200
There's no guarantee that you're getting new parts. Those could be replaced units with the same problem. The only way to order new replacement parts is through an Epson Authorized service center.

post #6114 of 6183 Old 02-06-2018, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There's no guarantee that you're getting new parts. Those could be replaced units with the same problem. The only way to order new replacement parts is through an Epson Authorized service center.
Do they even sell those parts direct to consumers?

I went to their support site and they provide local approved repair shops, but I don't want to pay to have them check it out if there's a good chance this component and I'm not sure if they'll just sell parts like that. I also don't want to spend too much as I'm considering replacing this soon. If I can spend a couple hundred and fix it myself then I can feel better about trying to sell it for a decent amount. Anyways, I just can't seem to find much info myself on getting parts and repairing these. Just the occasional post where someone says they did it.
post #6115 of 6183 Old 02-07-2018, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do they even sell those parts direct to consumers?

I went to their support site and they provide local approved repair shops, but I don't want to pay to have them check it out if there's a good chance this component and I'm not sure if they'll just sell parts like that. I also don't want to spend too much as I'm considering replacing this soon. If I can spend a couple hundred and fix it myself then I can feel better about trying to sell it for a decent amount. Anyways, I just can't seem to find much info myself on getting parts and repairing these. Just the occasional post where someone says they did it.
I have never been able to buy anything but printer parts from Epson. Those were purchased through a maintenance agreement with the DoD. Give them a call and see if you can buy the part. All they can say is no, right? It's not like you will be voiding the warranty. Good luck my friend.

post #6116 of 6183 Old 02-11-2018, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hello, I have searched for hours and cant seem to find the info im looking for. Is there anyone that can help me find the best settings for the epson 5030 ub in dynamic mode and also living room mode. Ive been trying to tweak things on my own and no i have not had it calibrated. just looking for some settings that other people have had good results with. A link to these settings would be much appreciated. On a side note i recently had a bulb literally shatter in my projector at 477 hours. Ive always had in dynamic mode because i have a lot of light in room during daytime viewing. My screen is a silver ticket grey. thanks in advance for the help
post #6117 of 6183 Old 03-25-2018, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone know where to source the HDMI part for this projector? My HDMI 1 failed some time ago and after a few years, one of the pins was just bent on HDMI 2. Any ideas or is this going to cost me a few 100 dollars to get fixed?
post #6118 of 6183 Old 03-26-2018, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
Does anyone know where to source the HDMI part for this projector? My HDMI 1 failed some time ago and after a few years, one of the pins was just bent on HDMI 2. Any ideas or is this going to cost me a few 100 dollars to get fixed?
Parts for Epson projectors are notoriously hard to find due to the fact that Epson does not sell repair parts to consumers. They have an authorized repair facilities that will perform the work for a fee. I'm pretty sure it will cost a few hundred to get it fixed. Repairing a failed HDMI port (or one with broken pins) will most likely involve replacement of the motherboard.

post #6119 of 6183 Old 04-24-2018, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I recently found someone selling a TW9200W (5030ube) for 1100$, the hour count is low <800, my big concern is this error code: 3898 00000057 LE. I currently own a Benq W1070, so the upgrade would be significant I guess.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eps.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	2394874  
post #6120 of 6183 Old 04-27-2018, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks. Got a question for you. I seem to have a problem with a spreading yellow/orange tinging non-uniformity from the left side of the image. I've cleaned the lens thinking maybe schmutz might be collecting on that side because that's where the fan is, but that doesn't seem to help.

So, is this a sign of a dying lamp? Is that a symptom of a dying 3LCD chip? Am I alone? Some not terribly indepth googling has turned up little in the way of answers.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page