Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 158 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1025Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4711 of 6332 Old 03-12-2015, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bweissman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: East SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kouzev View Post
If there are two fans (?), perhaps the second turns on only when needed.
If I am reading the service manual correctly, there are five, count 'em, 5 fans!

  • DC fan for power supply assembly
  • DC fan for lamp
  • DC fan for intake/M board
  • DC fan for lamp and prism
  • DC fan for Q Board
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	599105  
bweissman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4712 of 6332 Old 03-16-2015, 04:47 AM
Member
 
Qualunquemente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How do you activate Triluminos extended gamut ?
Qualunquemente is offline  
post #4713 of 6332 Old 03-16-2015, 06:02 AM
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 10,827
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2594
Under the Expert submenu of the Picture menu you'll find it. This should only be used for movies released under the "Mastered in 4K" designation.
Seegs108 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4714 of 6332 Old 03-16-2015, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
magicj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lake district, UK
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Under the Expert submenu of the Picture menu you'll find it. This should only be used for movies released under the "Mastered in 4K" designation.

Really. I've never seen this in the expert submenu, nor in the manual?
magicj1 is offline  
post #4715 of 6332 Old 03-16-2015, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,030
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Under the Expert submenu of the Picture menu you'll find it. This should only be used for movies released under the "Mastered in 4K" designation.
Also worth noting:
Quote:
Tip
Setting x.v.Color to “On” disables gamma adjustment.
So when you forget, like I did, that you set x.v.Color to “On” and try to change the gamma you will understand why the “Not Applicable” box appears.
Wendell R. Breland is offline  
post #4716 of 6332 Old 03-16-2015, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,030
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicj1 View Post
Really. I've never seen this in the expert submenu, nor in the manual?
From page 28:

Quote:
x.v.Color Set this item when connecting the unit with equipment that supports
x.v.Color and playing back an x.v.Color video signal.
On: You can play back an x.v.Color video signal.
Off: The “x.v.Color” function is not applied.
For details on x.v.Color, see “About the x.v.Color” (page 47).

Tip
Setting x.v.Color to “On” disables gamma adjustment.
magicj1 likes this.
Wendell R. Breland is offline  
post #4717 of 6332 Old 03-17-2015, 07:26 AM
Member
 
rhbblb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Greensboro, GA
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 26
What would the throw distance range be for a 120 inch wide 2:35 screen that has 1.1 gain?

Thanks
rhbblb1 is online now  
post #4718 of 6332 Old 03-17-2015, 10:24 AM
Member
 
hwoarang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
I haven't needed to call, but I was given the phone number 877-619-7669 for the ES "special team". Is that the number you're using? (Given that 7669 is SONY, it doesn't appear terribly special.)

Try 866-924-7669.

Still cannot get through on either number. Ive been trying to weeks At over 90mins a time. I've been on hold since 8am this morning and still cant get through. This is atrocious. ...
hwoarang is offline  
post #4719 of 6332 Old 03-17-2015, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Venice, Florida, USA
Posts: 21,464
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbblb1 View Post
What would the throw distance range be for a 120 inch wide 2:35 screen that has 1.1 gain?

Thanks



The gain does not enter into the throw distance calculations. The closest you can place the projector and fill the 120 inch 2.25 width is 165.6 inches. the minimum throw range number times the 2.35 screen width (1.38 x 120). The farthest away you can place the projector and shrink the image down to fill a 1.78 aspect window on that screen is 257 inches, the maximum throw number times the 1.78 window width (2.83 x 90.8).
mark haflich is offline  
post #4720 of 6332 Old 03-17-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Venice, Florida, USA
Posts: 21,464
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwoarang View Post
Still cannot get through on either number. Ive been trying to weeks At over 90mins a time. I've been on hold since 8am this morning and still cant get through. This is atrocious. ...
Every time I call the 866 number I get right through and served by either Tony or Chad. 7AM to 4 PM PST.
rhbblb1 likes this.
mark haflich is offline  
post #4721 of 6332 Old 03-17-2015, 04:27 PM
Member
 
hwoarang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwoarang View Post
Still cannot get through on either number. Ive been trying to weeks At over 90mins a time. I've been on hold since 8am this morning and still cant get through. This is atrocious. ...
Every time I call the 866 number I get right through and served by either Tony or Chad. 7AM to 4 PM PST.

Finally got through on this new number you gave me. I wasnt getting through this morning. They didnt believe that the other number doesnt work. Im well within warranty and they dont send a box or pay for shipping to their service center? Sony have awesome products but they are the worst with service...thank you for this number, i would have wasted countless more hours otherwise!!!
hwoarang is offline  
post #4722 of 6332 Old 03-18-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Venice, Florida, USA
Posts: 21,464
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Normally once the time period has expired for a replacement unit, you are responsible under the terms of the Sony warranty for paying the costs of shipping to the service center. You are supposed to keep the original bx and packing material and if you don't have it you will be responsible for procuring the same from Sony. This does not mean you can't pack it in something else but you run the risk that the carrier you choose to ship it to them (and you should insure the unit for replacement value), will deny any claim on the basis of improper packing. Further, if you do not use the factory box or a factory box, Sony will ship it back in one and likely will charge you for a new box.
mark haflich is offline  
post #4723 of 6332 Old 03-18-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,012
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3741 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quick question about the iris controls on the VW600 (and the VW1100 for that matter, which I assume work the same?)...

Am I correct to assume that you can set a manual iris in conjunction with the auto iris? For example, let's say that I'm at 30 ftL. I can stop down the manual iris to bring me down to say 20 ftL at 100%, while also lowering the black floor by this same amount - and then the auto iris is effectively giving me the new range between the now lower black floor and the 20 ftL? I believe that is how the JVC auto iris works as well, just want to make sure. Because with my VW95 there is no such option - you can use the manual iris, or the auto iris, and when using the auto iris its the full range.

Thanks!
lovingdvd is online now  
post #4724 of 6332 Old 03-18-2015, 11:48 AM
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 10,827
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2594
The iris works differently on the 500ES/600ES than it does on the 1100ES. You're assumption is correct in that you can set a manual position where it won't open up past a certain point and then work dynamic from that point downward to it's most closed position. The range is more limited because it doesn't have as much of a range to go through (you're cutting off it's peak white potential performance). You're black floor/level will remain the same no matter how you set the iris when it's in dynamic mode. You'd need to lower the bulb setting or use an ND filter in conjunction with the dynamic iris engaged if you want a lower black level. With the VW1000ES/VW1000ES you only have the option of manual, auto-full and auto-limited mode. You cannot choose a manual position AND a dynamic setting at the same time. With that said, the iris on the 500ES/600ES is a tad more aggressive than the 1100ES which means you'll typically see it working more. The lower the manual setting you choose to use the less of the DI's workings you should be able to see.
lovingdvd likes this.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #4725 of 6332 Old 03-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
Skrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Quick question about the iris controls on the VW600 (and the VW1100 for that matter, which I assume work the same?)...

Am I correct to assume that you can set a manual iris in conjunction with the auto iris? For example, let's say that I'm at 30 ftL. I can stop down the manual iris to bring me down to say 20 ftL at 100%, while also lowering the black floor by this same amount - and then the auto iris is effectively giving me the new range between the now lower black floor and the 20 ftL? I believe that is how the JVC auto iris works as well, just want to make sure. Because with my VW95 there is no such option - you can use the manual iris, or the auto iris, and when using the auto iris its the full range.

Thanks!
I am interested in this answer -- but I can tell you that I do not believe that is how it works on the 55ES.

On the 55ES you have Off, Auto Full, Auto Lmited, and Manual (0-100). Auto full allows the dynamic range to be about 0-100 (I believe this based on virtually no change in picutre when looking at a bright scene switching between Auto Full and Off). Auto Limited seems to allow dynamic between 0-50. I base this on looking at a bright scene on Auto Limited versus Manual (50) and seeing very little change -- whereas atManual 20 you see that the Auto Limited is noticeably brighter than the manual setting.
lovingdvd likes this.
Skrill is offline  
post #4726 of 6332 Old 03-19-2015, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Skrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
The iris works differently on the 500ES/600ES than it does on the 1100ES. You're assumption is correct in that you can set a manual position where it won't open up past a certain point and then work dynamic from that point downward to it's most closed position. The range is more limited because it doesn't have as much of a range to go through (you're cutting off it's peak white potential performance). You're black floor/level will remain the same no matter how you set the iris when it's in dynamic mode. You'd need to lower the bulb setting or use an ND filter in conjunction with the dynamic iris engaged if you want a lower black level. With the VW1000ES/VW1000ES you only have the option of manual, auto-full and auto-limited mode. You cannot choose a manual position AND a dynamic setting at the same time. With that said, the iris on the 500ES/600ES is a tad more aggressive than the 1100ES which means you'll typically see it working more. The lower the manual setting you choose to use the less of the DI's workings you should be able to see.
Well - I just set up my 500ES/600ES last night (more on that after I've had more time with it). First the DI does have some different settings versus the 55ES - namely a 'Brightness' setting in the DI menu (not to be confused with the standard brightness setting in the picture menu). It sets the max range of the DI as Seegs noted.

While I don't disagree with Seegs' comments on the iris brightness setting in terms of limiting the range and how it does not impact the black floor overall - I do think it allows you to get (maintain) deeper blacks in scenes with mixed bright and dark. I have my brightness set to 50 and DI on limited for now. Question - if I am limiting the range of the DI with the brightness setting - what am I doing with the limited setting? Does limited become redundant? It still seems to impact the picture.
Skrill is offline  
post #4727 of 6332 Old 03-19-2015, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,012
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3741 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
The iris works differently on the 500ES/600ES than it does on the 1100ES. You're assumption is correct in that you can set a manual position where it won't open up past a certain point and then work dynamic from that point downward to it's most closed position. The range is more limited because it doesn't have as much of a range to go through (you're cutting off it's peak white potential performance). You're black floor/level will remain the same no matter how you set the iris when it's in dynamic mode. You'd need to lower the bulb setting or use an ND filter in conjunction with the dynamic iris engaged if you want a lower black level. With the VW1000ES/VW1000ES you only have the option of manual, auto-full and auto-limited mode. You cannot choose a manual position AND a dynamic setting at the same time. With that said, the iris on the 500ES/600ES is a tad more aggressive than the 1100ES which means you'll typically see it working more. The lower the manual setting you choose to use the less of the DI's workings you should be able to see.
Perfect - thanks Seegs this is what I was wanting to know. Sounds like I'll need to use low lamp for 16:9 and high lamp for 2.35. From the reviews I'm estimating 950 lumens from 25% away from short throw on the VW600 and 1100 on the VW1100. Sound about right?
lovingdvd is online now  
post #4728 of 6332 Old 03-19-2015, 07:59 PM
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 10,827
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2594
Yeah that sounds about right. Brightness is personal preference. Some people like it brighter and some like it a bit on the dim side. Though I suspect the majority like a brighter image. I'd suggest playing around and see what looks good to you. Both the VW600ES and VW1100ES are very bright projectors which is good because you'll have a lot to play around with to see what looks best to you.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #4729 of 6332 Old 03-19-2015, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bweissman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: East SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Brightness is personal preference. Some people like it brighter and some like it a bit on the dim side.
Yes, but... we all want white whites and black blacks.

Speaking of personal preference, after almost a year with the 600ES, I've decided I don't like the dynamic iris. I couldn't seem to get consistent black blacks until I turned off the dynamic iris, raised gamma to 2.4, and lowered the "iris brightness" to the odd number of 83 with low lamp on my 1.3 gain screen. Re-ran Spears & Munsil and it's better now! Even cable TV is giving me good black. I only use full brightness and high lamp for 3D.

The good news is (1) the lamp is still going strong with over 900 hours and (2) hey, it's a hobby! Tweaking is fun.
bweissman is offline  
post #4730 of 6332 Old 03-19-2015, 09:50 PM
Member
 
ohioratrodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What are peoples thoughts on htpc with madvr to upscale blu rays to 4k vs darbee and letting the projector upscale? Also if madvr is better what would be a good card for nothing but madvr, noise wont be an issue as the computer is in a different room.
Thanks
ohioratrodder is offline  
post #4731 of 6332 Old 03-20-2015, 02:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,283
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioratrodder View Post
What are peoples thoughts on htpc with madvr to upscale blu rays to 4k vs darbee and letting the projector upscale? Also if madvr is better what would be a good card for nothing but madvr, noise wont be an issue as the computer is in a different room.
Thanks
Probably best to try this thread for the up to info on MADVR and GPU choices :

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...er-jriver.html

I'm using an R290 in one system with my VW1100 and a R295 with another system connect to VW500. Both could do with more GPU power as its not at all hard to max out their performance with MADVR and NNEDI3 @1080p . I'll prob look at the next gen Radeons for full 4K functionality, coinciding when both systems with have 4K passthrough in their next AVPs.
OzHDHT is offline  
post #4732 of 6332 Old 03-20-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Venice, Florida, USA
Posts: 21,464
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Yeah that sounds about right. Brightness is personal preference. Some people like it brighter and some like it a bit on the dim side. Though I suspect the majority like a brighter image. I'd suggest playing around and see what looks good to you. Both the VW600ES and VW1100ES are very bright projectors which is good because you'll have a lot to play around with to see what looks best to you.

A very insightful post on the brightness preferences of the HT population and one that provides us which much fodder for thought. However, I do think you need to further elucidate in that you say "side" which implicitly means that there is some median reference point from which one can go brighter or dimmer.


Further do you think there is any correlation at all as to a person's preference and whether their intelligence is on the brighter or dimmer side? This would not necessarily mean that brighter folks like it brighter, they could like it dimmer. Certainly there would be some deviation from any trend found and no one should assume that their intelligence necessarily is consistent with any correlation found.
mark haflich is offline  
post #4733 of 6332 Old 03-20-2015, 10:14 PM
Member
 
bearcat2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Fremont, NE
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 35
900 hours sounds like a lot. What is an average for the 500/600?
bearcat2002 is online now  
post #4734 of 6332 Old 03-21-2015, 02:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,063
Mentioned: 498 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6643
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat2002 View Post
900 hours sounds like a lot. What is an average for the 500/600?
900 Hours doesn't sound like much at all, the lamps are very expensive for these projectors... I would also like to know the average, I just got a 300ES and am hoping you could get over 2000 real hours out of low lamp mode.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is online now  
post #4735 of 6332 Old 03-21-2015, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
Skrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I acquired a 500ES - and it is everything people say it is. Beautiful product and shoots a amazing pictre with great detail, contrast, color and motion. A very sizable upgrade from my 55ES (which was no slouch).

Couple questions:

1. Is there a way to determine the build date? Is it encoded on the numbers on the side of the machine?

2. Anyone ever figure out what was updated in firmware 1.20A - that is what mine came loaded with? I have searched the (Google) world over - and I cannot find any release notes.

Last edited by Skrill; 03-23-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Skrill is offline  
post #4736 of 6332 Old 03-23-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,710
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7216 Post(s)
Liked: 8641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
900 Hours doesn't sound like much at all, the lamps are very expensive for these projectors... I would also like to know the average, I just got a 300ES and am hoping you could get over 2000 real hours out of low lamp mode.

Depending on how much you watch a projector, 900 hours could be 2 years of 4 movies a week for 50 weeks a year. Or if you watch one movie every single day of the year ( in which case I'd say you need to get outside once in a while ) it would be just less than 1 1/2 years of use. But the size of your screen and how bright a picture is " bright enough " for you, will also determine how many hours you can get in low lamp.


There are too many variables to answer this question.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #4737 of 6332 Old 03-23-2015, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,063
Mentioned: 498 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Depending on how much you watch a projector, 900 hours could be 2 years of 4 movies a week for 50 weeks a year. Or if you watch one movie every single day of the year ( in which case I'd say you need to get outside once in a while ) it would be just less than 1 1/2 years of use. But the size of your screen and how bright a picture is " bright enough " for you, will also determine how many hours you can get in low lamp.
There are too many variables to answer this question.
Are you basing that off 900 hours? I can do that math too, but where does it actually say thats the length of life?

I wasnt asking for a number personally tailored to me, I cant find any information which lists the official bulb life for the 500ES or the 300ES, it's not on any of the Sony websites, I have found 5000 hours and 2500 hours thrown around in a review here and there for low lamp but nothing seems to definitively say what the deal is and those two numbers are wildly different to be considered even close to accurate. The 500ES has been out long enough possibly for somebody to replace a bulb now and I was just asking what the average time people are having to replace the bulbs is. I find my 300ES to be VERY bright with my 1.26 gain screen to the point I have been using an ND2 filter for 2d films and regular low lamp mode without filter for 3d and I am more than happy with it.

And I watch 1-2 movies a day on average, I resent your comment about needing to get outside more, totally bloody unnecessary, you cant sit across the globe and say crap like that to people.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is online now  
post #4738 of 6332 Old 03-23-2015, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
Skrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Javs,

All i can say is that the numbers I have seen are 2K to 3K hours based on projector reviews. I don't think Sony published numbers for either projector.

And my wife and I loved Syndey when we visited - if only you all had use for an American lawyer specializing in the automotive business law.
Skrill is offline  
post #4739 of 6332 Old 03-24-2015, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,904
Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12809 Post(s)
Liked: 10448
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Are you basing that off 900 hours? I can do that math too, but where does it actually say thats the length of life?

I wasnt asking for a number personally tailored to me, I cant find any information which lists the official bulb life for the 500ES or the 300ES, it's not on any of the Sony websites, I have found 5000 hours and 2500 hours thrown around in a review here and there for low lamp but nothing seems to definitively say what the deal is and those two numbers are wildly different to be considered even close to accurate. The 500ES has been out long enough possibly for somebody to replace a bulb now and I was just asking what the average time people are having to replace the bulbs is. I find my 300ES to be VERY bright with my 1.26 gain screen to the point I have been using an ND2 filter for 2d films and regular low lamp mode without filter for 3d and I am more than happy with it.

And I watch 1-2 movies a day on average, I resent your comment about needing to get outside more, totally bloody unnecessary, you cant sit across the globe and say crap like that to people.
If your screen size and gain is such that you can easily light it up in low lamp with plenty of lumens to spare, then I would expect around 2,000 hours. My guess is this lamp would be rated like all of their other lamps at 2,000 high and 3,000 low. I have sold a lot of 600's and I don't think I have sold a replacement lamp yet.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #4740 of 6332 Old 03-24-2015, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,063
Mentioned: 498 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6643
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
If your screen size and gain is such that you can easily light it up in low lamp with plenty of lumens to spare, then I would expect around 2,000 hours. My guess is this lamp would be rated like all of their other lamps at 2,000 high and 3,000 low. I have sold a lot of 600's and I don't think I have sold a replacement lamp yet.

Thats good info thank you!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Vpl Vw500es

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off