Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 206 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1025Likes

post #6151 of 6332 Old 12-16-2016, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_rigby View Post
I built on your quote when I put together that the HDMI pins in the picture you provide are exposed which is NO LONGER ALLOWED for 1080P and higher resolutions. The video must be encrypted (HDCP 1.4) inside the Southbridge Trustzone block not the HDMI chip as has been done in the past. Further, if you understand from multiple PDFs and whitepapers that Sony will be supporting Vidipath and Miracast and both require HDCP 2.2 in the Trustzone TEE, the same hardware can support HDCP 2.2 for HDMI 2.0a; this has been confirmed.

It remains to be seen if Sony calling the PS4 UHD Capable in compliance reports to the EU here: efficientgaming.eu, means the 2013 PS4 has a 4k HEVC codec block in the trustzone block. Sony has told us that none of the PS4s will support UHD Blu-ray citing costs which is not a plausible reason since the XB1 S does so with no increase in cost.

Sony wants every UHD Blu-ray to support a digital bridge allowing streaming of blu-ray movies over the home network, this dovetails with Vidipath and how ATSC 3.0 (4K ) Antenna TV and Cable TV will be delivered in the home. If every PS4 can be a client, has a HDMI 2.0a port and 4K HEVC codec then every PS4 can be a Vidipath client which means they can also play UHD Blu-ray movies from a UHD Blu-ray player in the home.

Most PS4 owners will NEED to buy a Sony UHD Blu-ray player or a PC with UHD Blu-ray support...Sony has a license for a PC UHD Blu-ray app and drive. PCs with Hard disks and Game consoles with Hard Disks are the logical platforms for the UHD Blu-ray digital bridge. Since Sony has eliminated PS4s as part of this then PCs and Blu-ray players have to be supported by PS4 owners.

The XB1 with it's HDMI pass through can support Miracast and DLNA modes while watching TV but the PS4 can't unless it's playing something like Netflix or Playstation Vue (IPTV). So Microsoft already supports all DLNA modes on the XB1 while Sony does not. Sony is waiting on Vidipath which is I think is waiting on ATSC 3 I think late 2017. UHD Blu-ray and Vidipath - Miracast should come at the same time.

With PS4s crippled and needing to rely on a UHD Blu-ray digital bridge, it forces us to jump into the Vidipath in home streaming ecosystem. I previously assumed all PS4s would support UHD Blu-ray since Sony is focused on 4K and 1) they all have a HDMI 2.0a port, 2) Sony calls the PS4s UHD capable and 3) From 2010 the disk format for UHD Blu-ray (Version 2 disks) was known and BDXL drives from 2011 supported the 25, 50, 33, 66 and 99 GB disks.
Hi Folks,

does it make sense to replace the bulb, having 1800h on it, in order to get a better price on eBay for my VW500?

cheers, roland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6152 of 6332 Old 12-16-2016, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Folks,

does it make sense to replace the bulb, having 1800h on it, in order to get a better price on eBay for my VW500?

cheers, roland
post #6153 of 6332 Old 12-16-2016, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Anyone needed to have their 600ES repaired? Mine is refusing to power up after a power surge. I'm not sure where to take it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6154 of 6332 Old 12-18-2016, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Janus View Post
Hi Folks,

cheers, roland
I don't think so... just sell it as is...
post #6155 of 6332 Old 12-18-2016, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
I don't think so... just sell it as is...
I was hoping investing 400 Euros will be worth it
post #6156 of 6332 Old 12-19-2016, 02:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Janus View Post
I was hoping investing 400 Euros will be worth it
I honestly don't think you can get more than 400 Euros even after you replaced the lamp... Just my opinion though.
post #6157 of 6332 Old 01-01-2017, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 114
HI everyone. I wanted to say hello as I just joined the 600ES family. I got the projector with under 300 hours on the bulb and was "professionally calibrated" I am new to projectors but have had a few very good 4k sets. Any suggestions for ceiling mounts and screen. I am about 16 feet from wall to wall. Was looking to do somewhere between 120 to 150 inches.

Thank you all for input
post #6158 of 6332 Old 01-01-2017, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytvstosee View Post
HI everyone. I wanted to say hello as I just joined the 600ES family. I got the projector with under 300 hours on the bulb and was "professionally calibrated" I am new to projectors but have had a few very good 4k sets. Any suggestions for ceiling mounts and screen. I am about 16 feet from wall to wall. Was looking to do somewhere between 120 to 150 inches.

Thank you all for input
I read here, in AVS once, a wise statement, that you should go as bid as you can. The 600ES is pretty bright, and will be able to handle a large screen. The inches you've mentioned will depend on of it is 2.35 to 1.78...
post #6159 of 6332 Old 01-02-2017, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytvstosee View Post

Thank you all for input
I'm using a 150" with my Sony vpl-vw600es and it works great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
post #6160 of 6332 Old 01-06-2017, 02:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone finds this projector losing contrast over time? I heard report that Sony's SXRD chips loses contrast over time and lots of contrast too..
post #6161 of 6332 Old 01-06-2017, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2806 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Quote:
Anyone finds this projector losing contrast over time? I heard report that Sony's SXRD chips loses contrast over time and lots of contrast too..
Contrast loss is believed to be related to humidity , most will agree on that . If the projector is in a dry room , humidity controlled it can be as good as new . In a humid environment with low cycle of usage it can degrade.

Ekki @ cine4home has pointed out the degrading is subject to humidity and usage not just time on the lamp as I was wrongly told. Best advise is to check before a purchase or at the very least find out the conditions and location.

My unit was now 3 years old was 10,500:1 contrast ration when I sold it this summer, it had 900 hours on the lamp . That contrast ratio is as good , if not better than most new. My room was very, very dry .

Saying all WILL fail is wrong, saying a preexisting condition exists on some older panels is probably correct. A little knowledge and some caution can keep this projector in like new condition for a long time .

JVC is not oblivious to moisture and humidity either , see below what Ekki from cine4home said just recently in these threads. If you own a JVC and don't keep on top of it you can have issues, color can be permanently
degraded if not careful during the auto-cal process. JVC needs constant vigilance obviously to stay in line but I would say that is a factor of how bad the humidity is . I have a RS600, my room is super dry and the unit
appears to be spot on up to this point, 7 months and 300 hours later .

As I said a little knowledge goes a long way, we have Mr Ekki from cine4home to thank for this . If it can help everyone , all is good .

Originally Posted by Cine4Home
The JVC Gamma drift / banding / color space shrinkage are not(!) related to usage hours, but only to time. You have to recalibrate every 2 to 3 months no matter how you use it. And you should only(!) correct the Gamma with autocal if you do not want to degrade the Color accuracy of the projector forever.
I collected dozens and dozens of measurements and some still drift after many hundreds of hours of usage. Others drift even more in 3 months with hardly any usage and so on... the only pattern I can see so far is that they get more stable after over a year. It is probably additionally related to external conditions like temperature and humidity, just like with the Sonys: Some will slow down the drift, others will accelerate it.

coolgeek likes this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #6162 of 6332 Old 01-06-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
Contrast loss is believed to be related to humidity , most will agree on that . If the projector is in a dry room , humidity controlled it can be as good as new . In a humid environment with low cycle of usage it can degrade.

Ekki @ cine4home has pointed out the degrading is subject to humidity and usage not just time on the lamp as I was wrongly told. Best advise is to check before a purchase or at the very least find out the conditions and location.

My unit was now 3 years old was 10,500:1 contrast ration when I sold it this summer, it had 900 hours on the lamp . That contrast ratio is as good , if not better than most new. My room was very, very dry .

Saying all WILL fail is wrong, saying a preexisting condition exists on some older panels is probably correct. A little knowledge and some caution can keep this projector in like new condition for a long time .

JVC is not oblivious to moisture and humidity either , see below what Ekki from cine4home said just recently in these threads. If you own a JVC and don't keep on top of it you can have issues, color can be permanently
degraded if not careful during the auto-cal process. JVC needs constant vigilance obviously to stay in line but I would say that is a factor of how bad the humidity is . I have a RS600, my room is super dry and the unit
appears to be spot on up to this point, 7 months and 300 hours later .

As I said a little knowledge goes a long way, we have Mr Ekki from cine4home to thank for this . If it can help everyone , all is good .

Originally Posted by Cine4Home
The JVC Gamma drift / banding / color space shrinkage are not(!) related to usage hours, but only to time. You have to recalibrate every 2 to 3 months no matter how you use it. And you should only(!) correct the Gamma with autocal if you do not want to degrade the Color accuracy of the projector forever.
I collected dozens and dozens of measurements and some still drift after many hundreds of hours of usage. Others drift even more in 3 months with hardly any usage and so on... the only pattern I can see so far is that they get more stable after over a year. It is probably additionally related to external conditions like temperature and humidity, just like with the Sonys: Some will slow down the drift, others will accelerate it.

We are basically screwed in tropical climate then...
post #6163 of 6332 Old 01-06-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We are basically screwed in tropical climate then...
I'll trade you a great projector great contrast and freeze your A$$ off dry conditions for a projector with degradation and a tropical climate. Dehumidifier in a dedicated room should help take care of things. Keep the temperature consistent and warm .
I posted the comments above in the degradation thread and one member came back with a different scenario for degradation saying the cause may be UV light related. So keep your projector dry and don't turn it on, will last for years .
cdnscg and coolgeek like this.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #6164 of 6332 Old 01-09-2017, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
I'll trade you a great projector great contrast and freeze your A$$ off dry conditions for a projector with degradation and a tropical climate. Dehumidifier in a dedicated room should help take care of things. Keep the temperature consistent and warm .
I posted the comments above in the degradation thread and one member came back with a different scenario for degradation saying the cause may be UV light related. So keep your projector dry and don't turn it on, will last for years .
UV light? From where? (or, are you trying to pull my legs? I really can't tell).

Depending on the 'cold' factor, I might just take you up on it... I used to study at Iowa.. and if it gets down to -30 every winter, then no thanks..

But if it's weather like California.. sure thing... very nice...
post #6165 of 6332 Old 01-09-2017, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
UV light? From where? (or, are you trying to pull my legs? I really can't tell).

Depending on the 'cold' factor, I might just take you up on it... I used to study at Iowa.. and if it gets down to -30 every winter, then no thanks..

But if it's weather like California.. sure thing... very nice...
Not joking, UV light. Apparently it is from the lamp itself, primarily the blue spectrum. Was a little unclear as the guy was from Spain and the message translated before posting.

Hence my joke to never turn the projector on to avoid degradation. I have no idea the validity of these remarks. Now that Ekki has backed up my claim that environment ( moisture)

is more a factor than lamp time and that this can be controlled, other claims of non environmental issues have surfaced. All I know is I had a near perfect sample of the Sony VW600

after 3 years and 900 hours I had 10,500:1 on/off, as good as new if not better. My room averages around 30% humidity throughout the year, pretty sure I have the issue covered.

If others can control this, I'm sure this will help them and this is all I was ever trying to convey. Easy enough to concentrate on problems. There are members on this forum that have

between 6000-10000 hours on the VW600 and say they are as good as new. They are happy enough , delightfully oblivious if indeed there is some level of degradation. Who knows

who cares, they do not.

-30, have never seen that. Have a maritime climate, hovers just below the freezing. Have a downhill ski resort and cross country resort within 10 minutes of my home. Have wide open back country ski-doing available and I take advantage of all of this. Have a virtual winter paradise, can go unrestricted anywhere winter and summer. 500,000 square kilometers of playground year round.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12440571_10154535307089741_3398315775628235343_o.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	1884345  
coolgeek likes this.

Last edited by roxiedog13; 01-09-2017 at 06:37 AM.
post #6166 of 6332 Old 01-30-2017, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
With three UHD disk players out now, has anyone tried more than one, and what are your thoughts on which player outputs the best looking picture from UHD disks to the Sony 600?
I ask, because many UHD disks look fairly dark to me (I haven't tweaked much) (Samsung player)
Thanks
Paul
post #6167 of 6332 Old 01-30-2017, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBonn View Post
With three UHD disk players out now, has anyone tried more than one, and what are your thoughts on which player outputs the best looking picture from UHD disks to the Sony 600?
I ask, because many UHD disks look fairly dark to me (I haven't tweaked much) (Samsung player)
Thanks
Paul
I'm using a panasonic dmp-ub900 and it looks great. Havent tried other brands though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
post #6168 of 6332 Old 01-31-2017, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBonn View Post
Thanks
Paul
A friend of mine with the VW600ES just received his Oppo 203, says it works very well .

post #6169 of 6332 Old 02-02-2017, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

The internal power supply on my 600ES decided it didn't like the unstable power in my house even with whole home surge. Thankfully the repair was under warranty so a couple months later my 600ES is back home and works great.

However, I'm not a patient fella so I bought a 675ES to replace the 600ES while she was gone and now the 600ES needs a new home.

Please PM If interested.

post #6170 of 6332 Old 02-02-2017, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post
The internal power supply on my 600ES decided it didn't like the unstable power in my house even with whole home surge. Thankfully the repair was under warranty so a couple months later my 600ES is back home and works great.

However, I'm not a patient fella so I bought a 675ES to replace the 600ES while she was gone and now the 600ES needs a new home.

Please PM If interested.

When I'm not patient, I get take out. Hats off my friend
post #6171 of 6332 Old 02-03-2017, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post

I'm curious about your thoughts on the improvements you see with the 675?
Thanks
Paul
post #6172 of 6332 Old 02-11-2017, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

The 675 is much brighter and a bit better black level on dark scenes. I have an ambient light room and an SI black diamond screen and the 600es couldn't quite push its full brightness out to the screen edges. My 675es lights the 110" SIBD much more evenly with less of center hotspot.

post #6173 of 6332 Old 02-22-2017, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 8
anyone with the oppo udp-203 paired with the 500es/600es care to share their settings ?

Even if i enable HDR on the oppo , it still works ( i read that the 500es doesn't have HDR ) so i'm not sure if my settings are correct
post #6174 of 6332 Old 02-23-2017, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRisti View Post
anyone with the oppo udp-203 paired with the 500es/600es care to share their settings ?

Even if i enable HDR on the oppo , it still works ( i read that the 500es doesn't have HDR ) so i'm not sure if my settings are correct
I would love to know this too. I have bought an HDFurry Linker and I hope to buy the udp-205 soon, bug I am not sure what needs to be done to get it all working.
post #6175 of 6332 Old 02-24-2017, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Has anyone tried to adjust the gamma response on the Sony projectors on the Dark end of the scale to a higher gamma (ie 2.5 or higher) then move up to your desired gamma (say 2.2) as you get brighter to offset the brighter projection for 0 or 5 IRE? not sure if i am explaining this correctly but my thought would be to improve the low end scale (probably crushing some of the shadow details) but popping it back up relatively quick as you progress up the brightness curve?

I plan on spending some time this weekend trying different calibration settings but was just curious of this approach. If i understand correctly, BT 1886 alters the curve by making the low end a little brighter so i was wondering what impact on some of the sets suffering from some contrast loss would be adopting a BT 1886 style curve vs a standard curve vs a darker low end curve?
post #6176 of 6332 Old 02-27-2017, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OPPO 203 and Banding

has anyone else tried the new Oppo 203 UHD player with their 600es? I am noticing banding, its easily reproducible when you watch the opening lionsglate sequence on any of their UHD dics (eg expendables 3) - however i have seen it in the arrival as well.

I have tried forcing all the settings to the various options in the menu - enabled 10bit (was at 8 bit by default) - with no success. Interestingly enough, if i set the Oppo to downscale/output at 1080p then the banding goes away. I had thought it had something to do with the HDR to SDR conversion - or perhaps the Rec2020 to Rec709 conversion - however why would the problem go away when using the same source disc - just outputting at 1080p vs 4k?
post #6177 of 6332 Old 03-06-2017, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just unloaded my 600es after 2100 hrs of use. No regrets; it had a good run but I just did not want to sit around waiting for the contrast ratio decline, as there appears to be a 100% fail rate with these projectors -- so I pulled the remaining value out of it.

My wife has told me that we are going to the movies from now on, and I'm never getting another projector because of this shaft. Ughhhhh ... but when the dust settles, any recommendations as a replacement to this model for 2017? Not interested in Sony anymore, and I'd be willing to wait a year or two as to do my best to avoid repeating this mess again.
post #6178 of 6332 Old 03-06-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7105 Post(s)
Liked: 8435
Quote:
Originally Posted by abominable1 View Post
I just unloaded my 600es after 2100 hrs of use. No regrets; it had a good run but I just did not want to sit around waiting for the contrast ratio decline, as there appears to be a 100% fail rate with these projectors -- so I pulled the remaining value out of it.

My wife has told me that we are going to the movies from now on, and I'm never getting another projector because of this shaft. Ughhhhh ... but when the dust settles, any recommendations as a replacement to this model for 2017? Not interested in Sony anymore, and I'd be willing to wait a year or two as to do my best to avoid repeating this mess again.
You should snag one of the last remaining JVC RS500's. So close picture wise to the VW600 ( which I had ) for a lot less money, you'll be amazed. No contrast loss problems ( and a lot more contrast to begin with ).

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #6179 of 6332 Old 03-06-2017, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
You should snag one of the last remaining JVC RS500's. So close picture wise to the VW600 ( which I had ) for a lot less money, you'll be amazed. No contrast loss problems ( and a lot more contrast to begin with ).
Excellent! Are you aware of a way to stream Netflix 4K content to these? I had the 4K media player with the Sony which made that possible. Thanks.
post #6180 of 6332 Old 03-06-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7105 Post(s)
Liked: 8435
Quote:
Originally Posted by abominable1 View Post
Excellent! Are you aware of a way to stream Netflix 4K content to these? I had the 4K media player with the Sony which made that possible. Thanks.
It was easier to watch 4K on my JVC RS600 than my VW600 - especially since the JVC has a 18Gbps HDMI input and a color filter for WCG. But the most important thing is helping to keep a fellow home theater lover with a projector, rather than you having to go back to poor, inferior commercial theaters, with exit signs, clowns with cell phones and over priced popcorn and drinks ! Oh the humanity !

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Vpl Vw500es

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page