Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 207 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1025Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6181 of 6332 Old 03-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Senior Member
 
wagnerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by abominable1 View Post
Excellent! Are you aware of a way to stream Netflix 4K content to these? I had the 4K media player with the Sony which made that possible. Thanks.
I have the Roku Ultra feeding Netflix 4K into a HDFury Linker which works. I have not upgraded my Linker software.

I would love to know if the Oppo UDP-203/205 works with the VPL-VW500ES/VW600ES?

Last edited by wagnerc; 03-06-2017 at 11:51 AM.
wagnerc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6182 of 6332 Old 03-06-2017, 11:56 AM
Member
 
abominable1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
It was easier to watch 4K on my JVC RS600 than my VW600 - especially since the JVC has a 18Gbps HDMI input and a color filter for WCG. But the most important thing is helping to keep a fellow home theater lover with a projector, rather than you having to go back to poor, inferior commercial theaters, with exit signs, clowns with cell phones and over priced popcorn and drinks ! Oh the humanity !
Oh no, I was never back to a commercial theater after this. I had a custom Stewart screen built back in 2013 and there was just no going back. I held out on humanity long enough, but if I ever had to smell..... one of those public theater halls ever again...

If I am reading into the correct projector, the price is perfect. You mention both the RS500 and RS600, is there a difference and could you provide a link so I can make sure I'm looking at the right one?
abominable1 is offline  
post #6183 of 6332 Old 03-06-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,510
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7093 Post(s)
Liked: 8423
Quote:
Originally Posted by abominable1 View Post
Oh no, I was never back to a commercial theater after this. I had a custom Stewart screen built back in 2013 and there was just no going back. I held out on humanity long enough, but if I ever had to smell..... one of those public theater halls ever again...

If I am reading into the correct projector, the price is perfect. You mention both the RS500 and RS600, is there a difference and could you provide a link so I can make sure I'm looking at the right one?
The RS500 and 600 are really the same basic projector - hand picked parts and a 5 year warranty on the RS600 ( vs 3 years on the 500 ). There is a lot of info right here on AVS -maybe too much at this point ( thread overload ).

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6184 of 6332 Old 03-06-2017, 12:21 PM
Member
 
abominable1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerc View Post
I have the Roku Ultra feeding Netflix 4K into a HDFury Linker which works. I have not upgraded my Linker software.
You have this working with the JVC?
abominable1 is offline  
post #6185 of 6332 Old 03-07-2017, 02:47 AM
Member
 
WIKED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Just looked at my hours and it's still going so strong.
I will upgrade to a newer projector but I will wait a few more years at this point.

I haven't been back to my local cinema since I built my theatre room and don't miss it one bit.



Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
kjlewie and roxiedog13 like this.
WIKED is offline  
post #6186 of 6332 Old 03-07-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,961
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2806 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKED View Post
Just looked at my hours and it's still going so strong.
I will upgrade to a newer projector but I will wait a few more years at this point.

I haven't been back to my local cinema since I built my theatre room and don't miss it one bit.



Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
There's another guy on the forum has over 10,000 hours on his 13,000 plus I believe .Says it's as good as the day he bought it, changed the lamp every 2000 hours . MyVW500
was trouble free for three years tack sharp 4K image up until the day I sold it , contrast 10500:1 . Nice to see some members getting the most from their projectors and logging high hours such as this.
Everyone boasts about the latest and greatest features but few ever get this far out before switching to something new, many myself included don't even make it through the warranty
period before switching.

I've purchased the JVCRS600 and a Sony VW675 since I sold the VW600 . Outside of some upgrades to current standards and minor improvements in the overall image the VW600
would have held it's own in my theater for another year or two and saved a bunch of money. Nice to see a few smart members posting great success for longevity however, someone has
to pave the way for being an early adopter . In the mean time I have a couple projectors for sale, I believe a new one is coming out and have to be ready .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #6187 of 6332 Old 03-07-2017, 08:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Oilmanmojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Indianapolis, In
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKED View Post
Just looked at my hours and it's still going so strong.
I will upgrade to a newer projector but I will wait a few more years at this point.

I haven't been back to my local cinema since I built my theatre room and don't miss it one bit.



Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
WIKED
Thanks for the post as this is some good news for those of us who are a little nervous about our machines. By any chance, have you actually measured the Native contrast? just curious. ALso, do you have a 2.35 screen and use the zoom feature to fill the screen. again asking because that is how i originally noticed some of my concerns of a brighter "dark" screen. I noticed the overscan as light shining below my screen and above the screen (though it is not apparent there because my dropdown screen has a fidelio border above it which eats the light very well.

On my 1.85 screen with my side masking panels, never would have observed an issue

Thanks in advance for your info and the encouraging note that 6500+ hours the pics appear to be fantastic
Oilmanmojo is offline  
post #6188 of 6332 Old 03-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Member
 
WIKED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hi, sorry I haven't measured the native contrast. I'm very happy with the way it still looks to my eye.
I do have a 2.35:1 screen and yes I can just see the overscan. I have a totally black room. It isn't bad and my wife cant really see it but I can.
The Stewart frame eats the light perfectly but I really need to put the black felt I have up on the screen wall to totally eliminate it.


Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
WIKED is offline  
post #6189 of 6332 Old 03-07-2017, 11:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Oilmanmojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Indianapolis, In
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKED View Post
Hi, sorry I haven't measured the native contrast. I'm very happy with the way it still looks to my eye.
I do have a 2.35:1 screen and yes I can just see the overscan. I have a totally black room. It isn't bad and my wife cant really see it but I can.
The Stewart frame eats the light perfectly but I really need to put the black felt I have up on the screen wall to totally eliminate it.


Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Wiked

thanks for the response back. Same results here, light controlled room etc, etc. I cant really use the velvet wall approach as i have a dropdown and tower speakers so i am looking at a curtain approach to the issue that would cover the side overscans also.
Oilmanmojo is offline  
post #6190 of 6332 Old 03-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Senior Member
 
PBonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKED View Post
Just looked at my hours and it's still going so strong.
I will upgrade to a newer projector but I will wait a few more years at this point.

I haven't been back to my local cinema since I built my theatre room and don't miss it one bit.



Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wiked,

Very curious if the lamp timer relates to just one lamp, or multiple lamps.

Thanks
Paul
PBonn is offline  
post #6191 of 6332 Old 03-07-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,961
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2806 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBonn View Post
Wiked,

Very curious if the lamp timer relates to just one lamp, or multiple lamps.

Thanks
Paul

My guess he's on the fourth lamp. Another guy with 13,000 hours changed his every 2000 hours.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #6192 of 6332 Old 03-07-2017, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,510
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7093 Post(s)
Liked: 8423
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
My guess he's on the fourth lamp. Another guy with 13,000 hours changed his every 2000 hours.
One might want to re-set the lamp timer when installing a new lamp. I would anyway.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is online now  
post #6193 of 6332 Old 03-07-2017, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,961
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2806 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
One might want to re-set the lamp timer when installing a new lamp. I would anyway.

Would be good to know what is on the current lamp agreed but I'd like to know the total hours most important. That's scary actually if one
could reset the lamp timer unless there is a separate total time .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #6194 of 6332 Old 03-07-2017, 09:05 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
Would be good to know what is on the current lamp agreed but I'd like to know the total hours most important. That's scary actually if one
could reset the lamp timer unless there is a separate total time .
There is, in the service menu.
Craig Peer likes this.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #6195 of 6332 Old 03-08-2017, 02:25 AM
Member
 
WIKED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Mine is still the original lamp. When I change to a new one I would definately reset the hours etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
WIKED is offline  
post #6196 of 6332 Old 03-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Oilmanmojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Indianapolis, In
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKED View Post
Mine is still the original lamp. When I change to a new one I would definately reset the hours etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
6000+ hours! wow, that may be the longest i have heard of a lamp like this. I was hoping for 2-3000. The photo of your projection still looks great!
Oilmanmojo is offline  
post #6197 of 6332 Old 03-13-2017, 04:57 PM
Senior Member
 
toomanytvstosee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Hi All. I need some quick help. I need to know the right size screen to order. Getting a fixed frame.

Room is 20 feet wide exactly. I plan on mounting it on the back wall with a platform. Whats the max screen size I can get?
130 inches with no overscan?
toomanytvstosee is offline  
post #6198 of 6332 Old 03-13-2017, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Skrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Not sure the question - but I have 135" diagonal 16:9 with no issues (bright enough for 3D and 2D with low lamp).

Screen is 1.1 gain.
Skrill is offline  
post #6199 of 6332 Old 05-06-2017, 01:54 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Guys,
What's the best 4k bluray for our vw500es that will maximize our projector's capabilities?
Oppo 203 or Panasonic ub900?
Luis Vergel de Guzman is offline  
post #6200 of 6332 Old 05-06-2017, 02:30 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Vergel de Guzman View Post
Guys,

What's the best 4k bluray for our vw500es that will maximize our projector's capabilities?

Oppo 203 or Panasonic ub900?

In your case probably the Oppo 203 since it has a "Strip HDR" setting built in, unless you have an HDFury device to do it, then I'd recommend the UB900 because you could take advantage of its HDR tone brightness slider adjustment, which then gives you a similar adjustment as the updated Sonys like the VW365/665/675ES have, which also have a slider for that.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #6201 of 6332 Old 05-06-2017, 10:03 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
In your case probably the Oppo 203 since it has a "Strip HDR" setting built in, unless you have an HDFury device to do it, then I'd recommend the UB900 because you could take advantage of its HDR tone brightness slider adjustment, which then gives you a similar adjustment as the updated Sonys like the VW365/665/675ES have, which also have a slider for that.
If I will get the Pana ub900 I still need the HDFury Linker?
Thanks! :-)
Luis Vergel de Guzman is offline  
post #6202 of 6332 Old 05-07-2017, 04:46 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Vergel de Guzman View Post
If I will get the Pana ub900 I still need the HDFury Linker?
Thanks! :-)
Yes, because your projector doesn't offer HDR support, so you need to strip it out using either the HDFury or an Oppo 203. The Panasonic UB900 does not offer this feature, but it does have the HDR Tone Brightness Slider adjustment.

In fact, if you get the Linker, you can also disable the HDR flag at the output and then maybe try my HarperVision HDR on SDR settings to see if that works on a Sony 500/600ES. There is a link below my signature that goes over the concept. I haven't tried or had anyone else try, on a Sony 4K SDR projector, so it would be interesting what you could do with it.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #6203 of 6332 Old 07-13-2017, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bweissman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: East SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Are any of you 600ES owners using the new Oppo UDP-203 disc player?

I am a bit confused about the Oppo's handling of HDR when feeding a non-HDR projector like ours. The 203 has a long-standing bug that the "strip HDR metadata" feature doesn't work properly. But it seems to me that the proper setting for HDR should be "off" in the 203 when feeding our projectors, since they don't support the BT.2020 color space anyway. So the "strip metadata" function, and its bug, never comes into play.

Right? Or am I even more confused than I think I am?

I'm currently on the fence between the Panasonic DMP-UB900 player vs. the Oppo. I want to pull the trigger soon, and Oppo shows no sign of fixing the metadata bug. I've been an Oppo guy, but if the Panny provides a better picture with the 600ES, I will jump ship.

I know there's a whole thread about the Oppo vs. the Panny, but of course it's not specific to our projectors. Thanks for any info or advice.
bweissman is offline  
post #6204 of 6332 Old 07-13-2017, 04:56 PM
Member
 
Dave Dugal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Merrimack, NH, USA
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
Are any of you 600ES owners using the new Oppo UDP-203 disc player?

I am a bit confused about the Oppo's handling of HDR when feeding a non-HDR projector like ours. The 203 has a long-standing bug that the "strip HDR metadata" feature doesn't work properly. But it seems to me that the proper setting for HDR should be "off" in the 203 when feeding our projectors, since they don't support the BT.2020 color space anyway. So the "strip metadata" function, and its bug, never comes into play.

Right? Or am I even more confused than I think I am?

I'm currently on the fence between the Panasonic DMP-UB900 player vs. the Oppo. I want to pull the trigger soon, and Oppo shows no sign of fixing the metadata bug. I've been an Oppo guy, but if the Panny provides a better picture with the 600ES, I will jump ship.

I know there's a whole thread about the Oppo vs. the Panny, but of course it's not specific to our projectors. Thanks for any info or advice.
I have an OPPO UDP-203 connected to a VPL-VW600ES. After a bit of A/B preference testing, I ended up leaving the HDR Setting on "Auto" which is described as "Automatically enable HDR output if the content is HDR and the display device supports HDR". Both "Forced" (obviously) and "Strip Metadata" looked pretty bad on a high-contrast scene from "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them". Long-pressing the Info button does show that the UHD content is HDR, yet the OPPO player is feeding the projector SDR.

- Dave
bweissman likes this.
Dave Dugal is offline  
post #6205 of 6332 Old 07-13-2017, 05:13 PM
Senior Member
 
PBonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
Are any of you 600ES owners using the new Oppo UDP-203 disc player?

I am a bit confused about the Oppo's handling of HDR when feeding a non-HDR projector like ours. The 203 has a long-standing bug that the "strip HDR metadata" feature doesn't work properly. But it seems to me that the proper setting for HDR should be "off" in the 203 when feeding our projectors, since they don't support the BT.2020 color space anyway. So the "strip metadata" function, and its bug, never comes into play.

Right? Or am I even more confused than I think I am?

I'm currently on the fence between the Panasonic DMP-UB900 player vs. the Oppo. I want to pull the trigger soon, and Oppo shows no sign of fixing the metadata bug. I've been an Oppo guy, but if the Panny provides a better picture with the 600ES, I will jump ship.

I know there's a whole thread about the Oppo vs. the Panny, but of course it's not specific to our projectors. Thanks for any info or advice.
I can't comment on the Oppo or Pany, but I replaced the Samsung UHD with the Sony UHD, and for disk watching the Sony is way better. The Sony has a 5 way adjustable HDR to SDR converter, so you can vary the conversion by disk to improve the picture. Limited to 8 bit data though, I believe.

Paul
bweissman likes this.
PBonn is offline  
post #6206 of 6332 Old 07-14-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wendell R. Breland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,020
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Anyone with a good working order LMP-H260 lamp housing (bad lamp, no lamp, etc.) that would like to sell it, if so send me a PM.
Wendell R. Breland is offline  
post #6207 of 6332 Old 07-14-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bweissman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: East SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBonn View Post
I can't comment on the Oppo or Pany, but I replaced the Samsung UHD with the Sony UHD, and for disk watching the Sony is way better. The Sony has a 5 way adjustable HDR to SDR converter, so you can vary the conversion by disk to improve the picture. Limited to 8 bit data though, I believe.
That's interesting, thanks. I was unaware of the Sony UBP-X800. I see it also has a display setting for "TV or Projector", which I haven't noticed in a player before.

About that 8-bit data, isn't that all the 600ES can handle? Does the 600ES's "x.v.Color" setting help at all with wide-color-gamut content?

I guess I will head over to the X800 thread, but one more quick question. It's vague in the manual how the "4K upscale" setting works. Does the "Auto1" setting do the right thing with our projectors, namely send 1080p when playing a regular Blu-ray and 2160p when playing a UHD disc? I prefer to upscale 1080p in the projector.

Thanks again.
bweissman is offline  
post #6208 of 6332 Old 07-14-2017, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
PBonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
That's interesting, thanks. I was unaware of the Sony UBP-X800. I see it also has a display setting for "TV or Projector", which I haven't noticed in a player before.

About that 8-bit data, isn't that all the 600ES can handle? Does the 600ES's "x.v.Color" setting help at all with wide-color-gamut content?

I guess I will head over to the X800 thread, but one more quick question. It's vague in the manual how the "4K upscale" setting works. Does the "Auto1" setting do the right thing with our projectors, namely send 1080p when playing a regular Blu-ray and 2160p when playing a UHD disc? I prefer to upscale 1080p in the projector.

Thanks again.
I have mine set to projector, but I'm not sure what it does. I assume they tweak it for the Sony 4k projectors, if it does anything...maybe it just expands the 3D screen size range.

I think the 600 can accept 10 bit if you fool it with one of the converters available...I was too lazy to try and moved to the 675 last month.

I always let the projector upscale 1080p also.

Paul
PBonn is offline  
post #6209 of 6332 Old 07-15-2017, 07:41 AM
Senior Member
 
toomanytvstosee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 494
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBonn View Post
I have mine set to projector, but I'm not sure what it does. I assume they tweak it for the Sony 4k projectors, if it does anything...maybe it just expands the 3D screen size range.

I think the 600 can accept 10 bit if you fool it with one of the converters available...I was too lazy to try and moved to the 675 last month.

I always let the projector upscale 1080p also.

Paul
Paul what converter are you referring to
toomanytvstosee is offline  
post #6210 of 6332 Old 07-15-2017, 12:25 PM
Senior Member
 
PBonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytvstosee View Post
Paul what converter are you referring to
The HD Fury, and I think there is another one.
Paul
PBonn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Vpl Vw500es

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off