Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 209 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1025Likes

post #6241 of 6332 Old 09-17-2017, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by myc52002 View Post
I'll give this a try. I have attempted several combination of settings with no success but probably not this exact set. I am connected to input 2 directly as well with the same results. There is no other display connected to the Anthem either. I'm not sure it's worth the mess to add the HDFury. Obviously the picture even in 1080P is superb but I am more annoyed by why this issue exists. It's is only on HDR encoded discs.
Well that didn't work either. It seems pretty clear whether its because of updates etc. one just can't play an HDR disc on this projector without some kind of interference device like the HDFury. No sure it's worth going there when it still looks great as is. Kind of knew this could happen when I bought the unit but still a bit frustrating trying to keep up with a moving target. Thanks all for the suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6242 of 6332 Old 09-17-2017, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
It seems pretty clear whether its because of updates etc. one just can't play an HDR disc on this projector without some kind of interference device like the HDFury.
No device needed for UHD HDR playback. Set my Oppo UDP-203 and Sony UBP-X800 for HDR to SDR and original resolution playback therefore I get SDR but 3840 x 2160 video. That is all one can expect from the VW600. Use the Oppo most of the time for HD & UHD disc playback.
post #6243 of 6332 Old 09-24-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
No device needed for UHD HDR playback. Set my Oppo UDP-203 and Sony UBP-X800 for HDR to SDR and original resolution playback therefore I get SDR but 3840 x 2160 video. That is all one can expect from the VW600. Use the Oppo most of the time for HD & UHD disc playback.
What in the Oppo exactly is HDR - SDR setting? I asssume it may be Strip metadata as only other choice is auto, off , forced. Setting to source direct makes no difference. Not many choices to choose. No combination works. I’ve tried them all.

I make my HDR statement based on the fact The Revenant movie is not HDR and it plays fine in 4K. I’m showing 4K output and the Anthem shows 4K and the Sony shows 4K being received.

Just bought Wonder Woman 4K HDR and does the same as other HDR discs. Oppo is outputting 1080P, not 4K. Long pressing info does show the media type at 4K but it is putting out 1080P.

The only variable here is the HDR encoding on all the discs that do not show in 4K and the one disc I have that is not HDR works as 4K through the processor and projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6244 of 6332 Old 09-25-2017, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What in the Oppo exactly is HDR - SDR setting? I asssume it may be Strip metadata as only other choice is auto, off , forced. Setting to source direct makes no difference. Not many choices to choose. No combination works. I’ve tried them all.
HDR should be set to OFF.
post #6245 of 6332 Old 09-27-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
HDR should be set to OFF.
That's what I thought. Didn't work. Now I have to back track on my HDR comments because with more troubleshooting I discovered something else that is even more baffling. Nothing has changed with my previous descriptions except now when I play the non-HDR disc it is also forcing 1080P. So I then decided to direct connect the Oppo to the Sony (real pain as I have to pull the rack out of the wall) and what do ya know ALL my 4K discs play 4K directly from the Oppo to the Sony input 2. No problem whatsoever.

So clearly I was wrong on HDR being an issue so it would seem it is the Anthem. I changed the cable from the Oppo to the Anthem, tried different inputs with no success. So I called Anthem and they claim there is no way it could be the problem because all it does is pass the signal with no processing so it can't effect that issue. I'm not at all convinced of that. Frankly they weren't very concerned with my angst about this. That was frustrating and has not been my experience with them in the past. I also called Oppo just to be sure I wasn't missing something and I'm not. Their explanation mirrors my understanding of the HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 handshakes that have to occur so it would seem something about the Anthem is interfering some how with that handshake. That I have no answer to so I guess I will move over to the Anthem thread and see what I can find out. At least I know the projector is not an issue with HDR. I appreciate the time from all of you with your thoughts.
post #6246 of 6332 Old 09-28-2017, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
That's what I thought. Didn't work. Now I have to back track on my HDR comments because with more troubleshooting I discovered something else that is even more baffling. Nothing has changed with my previous descriptions except now when I play the non-HDR disc it is also forcing 1080P. So I then decided to direct connect the Oppo to the Sony (real pain as I have to pull the rack out of the wall) and what do ya know ALL my 4K discs play 4K directly from the Oppo to the Sony input 2. No problem whatsoever.

So clearly I was wrong on HDR being an issue so it would seem it is the Anthem. I changed the cable from the Oppo to the Anthem, tried different inputs with no success. So I called Anthem and they claim there is no way it could be the problem because all it does is pass the signal with no processing so it can't effect that issue. I'm not at all convinced of that. Frankly they weren't very concerned with my angst about this. That was frustrating and has not been my experience with them in the past. I also called Oppo just to be sure I wasn't missing something and I'm not. Their explanation mirrors my understanding of the HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 handshakes that have to occur so it would seem something about the Anthem is interfering some how with that handshake. That I have no answer to so I guess I will move over to the Anthem thread and see what I can find out. At least I know the projector is not an issue with HDR. I appreciate the time from all of you with your thoughts.
Didn't see if you responded, but do you have another non-4k display hooked to your Anthem?
If so, this is your problem.
post #6247 of 6332 Old 09-28-2017, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I then decided to direct connect the Oppo to the Sony (real pain as I have to pull the rack out of the wall) and what do ya know ALL my 4K discs play 4K directly from the Oppo to the Sony input 2. No problem whatsoever
I suggested that several post back.

My Yamaha CX-A5100 has HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2 switching. It did work with the Oppo and Sony VW600. But if I made certain changes on the Oppo the 5100 would fail to re-lock and required a power cycle to work again. If the Oppo was used then a Sony FMP-X10 (a 4K media player) selected the 5100 would not lock, if the X10 was selected before the Oppo it would lock. So I procured a E-SDS UHD HDMI Switch which works without issues.

On the Oppo I use the main HDMI out to the E-SDS switch and the 2nd HDMI out to the A5100 for audio, same for a Sony UBP-X800. The X10 has been sold. The A5100 still had trouble locking the audio from the Oppo so I turned off the A5100 HDMI main output when the Oppo is selected and that fixed the problem. The A5100 main HDMI out is connected to the Sony VW600 HDMI 1 input.

A great feature of the A5100 is it has 12 Scene memories with many variables that can be set, so this feature and a MX-980 remote makes it easy to select and use all these devices.
post #6248 of 6332 Old 10-19-2017, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My VPL-VW600ES projector no longer works with the Nintendo Switch after the Switch's 4.0 firmware update. The image blinks on and off in docked mode for the projector only, maybe about every 400ms. Other display devices work fine with the Switch; other sources work fine with the projector.

I have tried all manner of devices, cables, or direct connection to the projector; no luck.
post #6249 of 6332 Old 10-23-2017, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Happy 500ES owner here in the US. With nearly 1200 hours on the original lamp -- it's time to order a replacement IMHO.

Any good sites or options for an OEM lamp for a reasonable (discounted) price?
post #6250 of 6332 Old 10-23-2017, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
Happy 500ES owner here in the US. With nearly 1200 hours on the original lamp -- it's time to order a replacement IMHO.

Any good sites or options for an OEM lamp for a reasonable (discounted) price?
Projector lamp genie is good with coupon on site. I have bought numerous Sony original bulbs. Great service.

Marantz AV 8802
Goldenear 7.2.4
Oppo 105D
HTPC
post #6251 of 6332 Old 10-23-2017, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCWookie View Post
Projector lamp genie is good with coupon on site. I have bought numerous Sony original bulbs. Great service.
Thanks -- I am not seeing a coupon however. Would you mind linking?
post #6252 of 6332 Old 10-25-2017, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I am trying to calibrate my vw500es again as it has been a couple of years since the last time. i am able to set the greyscale very good but the all of the gamma presets in the projector are way of so i need to calibrate it. I found that there is a software calibrating tool developed by sony to correct this. It`s called "Sony projector calibration pro tool". Does anyone know where i can get it?.
post #6253 of 6332 Old 10-31-2017, 02:32 PM

Liked: 10
Sony replacement board question

Folks,

I have a Sony VPL-VW600ES that crapped the bed, this week. (Right before my beloved Astros head to game 6 of the World Series.) I took it to a well-regarded local repair place and they told me the "circuit board" was dead. Then they told me Sony doesn't make a replacement.

I just can NOT believe that. The projector is less than 2 years old.

Who should I be calling, instead?
post #6254 of 6332 Old 10-31-2017, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12851 Post(s)
Liked: 10487
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribalding View Post
Folks,

I have a Sony VPL-VW600ES that crapped the bed, this week. (Right before my beloved Astros head to game 6 of the World Series.) I took it to a well-regarded local repair place and they told me the "circuit board" was dead. Then they told me Sony doesn't make a replacement.

I just can NOT believe that. The projector is less than 2 years old.

Who should I be calling, instead?
Talk to Sony, regarding repair.
post #6255 of 6332 Old 10-31-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Talk to Sony, regarding repair.
Tried. Stayed on hold for 45 minutes in the middle of a work day. Can't repeat that every day.
post #6256 of 6332 Old 10-31-2017, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12851 Post(s)
Liked: 10487
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribalding View Post
Tried. Stayed on hold for 45 minutes in the middle of a work day. Can't repeat that every day.
Have had to contact Sony many times for customers. Have been on hold for as long as 1.5 hours.
post #6257 of 6332 Old 11-11-2017, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi All,

I have an issue with the UBP-X800, the Sony VW600es, 18GB cables and x.v. colour.

As of two days ago, my setup ran through a Yamaha RX-V675 (hdmi v1.4) with a Monoprice 40ft Cabernet cable rated at 10GB/s.
The 4K player played the content and it looked fantastic except that when I clicked info/display on the 4k player remote, it showed that it was outputting in 1080p.

I switched the receiver and the cables to complete a HDMI 2.0 and 18GB chain. I now have the Yamaha RX-A670. Wow, the sound quality jump was incredible. However, the video looked worse. The display showed that it was indeed now outputting in 4K/24p but it looked radically less detailed. After playing with the settings, I noticed that the quality matched my old setup when I turned OFF x.v. colour on the projector.

So in essence, by reducing my settings, I matched the quality I was getting with HDMI 1.4 and 10Gb cables. Which looked incredible. I can't imagine my setup looking better than this. What on earth is wrong?

How does switching to HDMI 2.0 on all devices, and upgrading to monoprices installer grade active 40ft 18GB cable require me to turn off X.V colour which supposedly increases the number of available colours considerably?
post #6258 of 6332 Old 11-14-2017, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2212 Post(s)
Liked: 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwoarang View Post
How does switching to HDMI 2.0 on all devices, and upgrading to monoprices installer grade active 40ft 18GB cable require me to turn off X.V colour which supposedly increases the number of available colours considerably?
Hi There.

It is my understanding that XV Colour only does anything if the source you are watching was recorded/mastered using XV Colour. (i.e. Sony camcorders (+some others)).
I may be wrong about that, but I am under the impression that XV colour should be off under normal circumstances.

Cheers.
post #6259 of 6332 Old 11-28-2017, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for the input, however, this isn't true. XV Color offers a large boost in colour range over all.

I was able to solve my problem. I had to re-calibrate everything to accommodate what I assume is the added bandwidth of the 18GB cable, even though the HDMI version of the projector is a proprietary version of HDMI 2.0 running at a supposed 10GB. I had always wondered if it was worth the change as if you read the specs, there should be no difference.

I can tell you that after calibrating to 4K content, the difference with a full HDMI 2.0a and 18GB/s pipeline is considerable. I am actually blown away by most of the content. In fact, I just want a bigger screen now to maximise on the quality improvement. I am using the Yamaha Aventage RX-A670 and Sony BDP-X800 with all 18GB cables. The sound upgrade to Atmos is similarly night and day even with 5.1.

This projector is holding up extremely well. I see no reason to upgrade until light output takes a large leap with the new laser projectors. HDR content is extremely dark on this projector. I keep it enabled and calibrated around it. The only problematic disc I've had so far is Man of Steel which is very dark in certain scenes but still a large jump in quality despite having a 2K digital intermediary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Hi There.

It is my understanding that XV Colour only does anything if the source you are watching was recorded/mastered using XV Colour. (i.e. Sony camcorders (+some others)).
I may be wrong about that, but I am under the impression that XV colour should be off under normal circumstances.

Cheers.
post #6260 of 6332 Old 12-15-2017, 03:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)
Liked: 956
It's time to replace my lamp for the 500ES... does anyone know if i can use the brighter lamps that comes with the newer models of this range? Like the 520es? Or, am I stuck with the same lamp

Basically replace the LMP-H260 with the LMP-H280 lamp?

Last edited by coolgeek; 12-15-2017 at 03:51 AM.
post #6261 of 6332 Old 12-15-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
It's time to replace my lamp for the 500ES... does anyone know if i can use the brighter lamps that comes with the newer models of this range? Like the 520es? Or, am I stuck with the same lamp

Basically replace the LMP-H260 with the LMP-H280 lamp?
This is not the same as your basic table lamp when going from a 40W to 60W lamp. There is quite a bit of circuity supplying the lamps in projectors and they expect to see certain voltages and currents under certain conditions. I would not risk damaging the projector, the lamp not starting, overheating the projector, voiding an warranty, etc., in order to gain a little extra light.
post #6262 of 6332 Old 12-15-2017, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is not the same as your basic table lamp when going from a 40W to 60W lamp. There is quite a bit of circuity supplying the lamps in projectors and they expect to see certain voltages and currents under certain conditions. I would not risk damaging the projector, the lamp not starting, overheating the projector, voiding an warranty, etc., in order to gain a little extra light.
Thanks for the reply... the reason I asked is because many people are using the lamp from the 600es for the 300es... and they get a nice bump in brightness without any issues..

I am just wondering if anyone have tried using the 520es lamp in the 500es... they are basically the same projector...

as for warranty.. mine is way too old for warranty now... so, if someone has tried it and it works, that's the lamp i want to use for added brightness...
post #6263 of 6332 Old 12-15-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Thanks for the reply... the reason I asked is because many people are using the lamp from the 600es for the 300es... and they get a nice bump in brightness without any issues..

I am just wondering if anyone have tried using the 520es lamp in the 500es... they are basically the same projector...

as for warranty.. mine is way too old for warranty now... so, if someone has tried it and it works, that's the lamp i want to use for added brightness...
Interesting. Would appreciate a link to where you discovered this about the 300es owners using lamps for the 600es
post #6264 of 6332 Old 12-24-2017, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Interesting. Would appreciate a link to where you discovered this about the 300es owners using lamps for the 600es

Yeah it would be nice to know if maybe the VW675ES lamp could do the same and work in a VW285ES and VW385ES. I would still be very worried about the warranty though, so probably not worth it if you're still within the warranty period, or care about the value you have that's left in it on the open market.
post #6265 of 6332 Old 12-25-2017, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Yeah it would be nice to know if maybe the VW675ES lamp could do the same and work in a VW285ES and VW385ES. I would still be very worried about the warranty though, so probably not worth it if you're still within the warranty period, or care about the value you have that's left in it on the open market.
I found it within this forum when i was googling it... i can't seem to find the thread again now.. perhaps you guys can do a google search on various keywords... in anycase, since no one has done that with the 500 with the 520 lamp, i decided not to risk it... i honestly don't think there'll be a problem as the 520 is essentially the exact same projector as the 500 with a brighter lamp anyways and a bit of tweaking in the software...
post #6266 of 6332 Old 03-10-2018, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
have you compared the SDR at 3840x2160 vs playing blue ray on 203 and let vw600 convert to 4k, is there much difference/improvement? I 'm still on 103 with vw500 and was wondering if it's worth getting the 203 with the vw500 not supporting the HDR.
post #6267 of 6332 Old 03-10-2018, 10:39 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by inonefly View Post
have you compared the SDR at 3840x2160 vs playing blue ray on 203 and let vw600 convert to 4k, is there much difference/improvement? I 'm still on 103 with vw500 and was wondering if it's worth getting the 203 with the vw500 not supporting the HDR.
In reality, there's not much difference by my eye. I'm mostly purchasing UHD/4K Blu-ray Discs as a means of future-proofing my collection.

It's worth noting that the latest firmware update for the UDP-203 was a vast improvement in HDR → SDR conversion. Previously, the conversion would either crush the blacks or blow out the highlights, but now, with four different options, you can really dial in a balance that the VPL-VW600ES really loves.

- Dave
post #6268 of 6332 Old 03-10-2018, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inonefly View Post
have you compared the SDR at 3840x2160 vs playing blue ray on 203 and let vw600 convert to 4k, is there much difference/improvement?
Because I plan to procure a anamorphic lens I let the 203 do the conversion because that is the only way it will do a stretch. If you have a UHD Sony title, try the test patterns and see which settings you like best. You have to be a the main menu and enter SONY (7669).
post #6269 of 6332 Old 03-13-2018, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 114
hey all. Whats a good reliable place to order a new bulb for the 600ES?
post #6270 of 6332 Old 03-16-2018, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Attached is 2 pictures for folks with a scope screen and use zoom or A-lens to change aspect. The picture should be self explanatory. The pictures were derived from a vector drawing and are 600 dpi. One is 1920 x 1080 pixels and the other is 3840 x 2160. With a paint program you can replace my info in the light beige area with your own info. The light beige area is:

Red = 255
Green = 224
Blue = 192

I have these in thumb drives, one attached to my Oppo UDP-203 and the other attached to my Sony UBP-X800 for fast access on either player. In the near future I am going to put a thumb drive in my Linksys WRT1900ACS and see how that works out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1920 X 1080 HD.png
Views:	78
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	2376086   Click image for larger version

Name:	3840 X 2160 UHD.png
Views:	70
Size:	448.6 KB
ID:	2376088  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Vpl Vw500es

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page