Official Sony VPL-VW500ES / VW600ES 4K Projector Thread - Page 211 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1025Likes

post #6301 of 6332 Old 12-13-2018, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by inonefly View Post
Just wondering how many 500/600es owners has moved on to other models and what would be your upgrading path?

I'm looking at the JVC RS540 or VW385, or maybe Optoma UHZ65. Projecting on a 150' 0.8 gain grey screen at the moment, any advices?
Still going strong since 2014. I change my bulb religiously every 2,000 hours and I'm at 4,700 hours since I purchased the projector (2nd replacement bulb).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6302 of 6332 Old 12-13-2018, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott MS View Post
Still going strong since 2014. I change my bulb religiously every 2,000 hours and I'm at 4,700 hours since I purchased the projector (2nd replacement bulb).
Same here... since 2014 also... still an awesome projector... changed my lamp at 3500 hours....
post #6303 of 6332 Old 01-11-2019, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
I will set the RC parameters to Minimum for both Resolution and Noise Filtering, Sharpness to 10 and Motionflow, NR and MPEG NR all to Off, and see how it goes.

In the meantime, I noticed another issue, possibly related to thermal drift. When I turned on the PJ for the first time, I observed relatively minor convergence errors, so I dialed in some panel adjustment minimum values (Shift mode, not Zone). Later, after watching the PJ for a few hours, I noticed horizontal blue/yellow edging. I put on again the convergence pattern and realized that the blue horizontal lines shifted up significantly. I had to re-dial -25 units vertically to bring back the blue panel into alignment. This is almost close to the maximum range for shifting (which is -30).

When I turned on the PJ today, the convergence was again completely off, with the blue horizontal lines shifted above. I did nothing this time except monitor the situation and found out that within approximately one hour the blue panel re-aligned itself back.

It appears that only the blue horizontal lines exhibit this weird behaviour. All other colours in both directions seem steady up in time.

My old VPL-VW60 had almost perfect convergence out of box and the minimum values I had to dial to make the convergence perfect were stable and never changed over time.

Is this behaviour normal? Has anyone else observed this happening with your machines? Any suggestions, recommendations?

Many thanks.

Hi there. I've adjusted my horizontal and vertical settings to the max but still need to adjust further. I called Sony and obviously out of warranty, they want me to ship the projector from LA to NY, their only authrorised 3rd party service center in the country. That's comes with inherent risks and I'm not willing to do that.

Does anyone have any experience with how to do further panel alignment outside of the menu settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6304 of 6332 Old 01-11-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2042 Post(s)
Liked: 1109
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwoarang View Post
Hi there. I've adjusted my horizontal and vertical settings to the max but still need to adjust further. I called Sony and obviously out of warranty, they want me to ship the projector from LA to NY, their only authrorised 3rd party service center in the country. That's comes with inherent risks and I'm not willing to do that.

Does anyone have any experience with how to do further panel alignment outside of the menu settings?
Hi there.
Firstly, always allow at least an hour for the unit to warm up before doing any alignment or colour adjustments.

There is a way to dial in basic alignment from the service menu and a way to turn off the zone panel alignment presets if one so wishes.
You would need to reset any alignments already done in the user menu and then going in to the service menu to do the basic setting.

Only tackle the service menu if confident as you can brick your unit if you adjust the wrong things in there.

Good news is, you are out of warranty and can do what you like.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #6305 of 6332 Old 01-11-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Quote:

Hi there.
Firstly, always allow at least an hour for the unit to warm up before doing any alignment or colour adjustments.

There is a way to dial in basic alignment from the service menu and a way to turn off the zone panel alignment presets if one so wishes.
You would need to reset any alignments already done in the user menu and then going in to the service menu to do the basic setting.

Only tackle the service menu if confident as you can brick your unit if you adjust the wrong things in there.

Good news is, you are out of warranty and can do what you like. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

Thanks mate. Question for you. If I sent it in to Sony or took it to a repair center, what would they be doing to the panel? Are they just going into the service menu themselves or are they making physical changes and replacing parts.

If the fix is going into the service menu, I'd be willing to take a stab at it myself. Cheers.
post #6306 of 6332 Old 01-11-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks mate. Question for you. If I sent it in to Sony or took it to a repair center, what would they be doing to the panel? Are they just going into the service menu themselves or are they making physical changes and replacing parts.

If the fix is going into the service menu, I'd be willing to take a stab at it myself. Cheers.
Can't tell you for sure but I suspect the former. If it required physical parts then it will cost you more than the projector would now be worth I reckon.

Nowt to lose from having a go at the service menu yourself if you feel up to it.

If you **** it up you can still send it in (as you will have to pay either way) and no amount of fiddling electronically will change what they have to do if it is a physical problem.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #6307 of 6332 Old 01-11-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Can't tell you for sure but I suspect the former. If it required physical parts then it will cost you more than the projector would now be worth I reckon.

Nowt to lose from having a go at the service menu yourself if you feel up to it.

If you **** it up you can still send it in (as you will have to pay either way) and no amount of fiddling electronically will change what they have to do if it is a physical problem. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Thanks again. Anyone have tips on navigating the panel alignment options in the service menu? Would enjoy hearing from those that have fiddled with it and had success..
post #6308 of 6332 Old 01-12-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks again. Anyone have tips on navigating the panel alignment options in the service menu? Would enjoy hearing from those that have fiddled with it and had success..
Do you know how to get into the service menu?

Stephen Hawking.
post #6309 of 6332 Old 01-12-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Do you know how to get into the service menu?
Yup. Section 2-1-2 of the service manual found here for anyone that doesn't have the info:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/316165780...Service-Manual
post #6310 of 6332 Old 01-12-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yup. Section 2-1-2 of the service manual found here for anyone that doesn't have the info:

See your PM inbox.

Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 01-12-2019 at 09:39 AM.
post #6311 of 6332 Old 01-12-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:

See your PM inbox. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Awesome. Thanks very much. I got nervous just reading your guide. But I'm seriously thinking about jumping in. Will report back. Thanks again!
Archibald1 likes this.
post #6312 of 6332 Old 01-16-2019, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi Guys.

I have the opportunity to pick up a used 600ES for around $2500. The bulb has approx 2000 hours on it.

Would this money be well spent or should I save up more for a newer model such as the 285ES or 385ES?

Thanks for your thoughts.
post #6313 of 6332 Old 01-16-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by neokeelo View Post
Hi Guys.

I have the opportunity to pick up a used 600ES for around $2500. The bulb has approx 2000 hours on it.

Would this money be well spent or should I save up more for a newer model such as the 285ES or 385ES?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Given that you will need to replace the bulb soon (for brightness) your $ might be better spent on a newer model.
post #6314 of 6332 Old 05-17-2019, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Getting these blue and yellow lines outlining images , what could be the reason and how to correct this ?

post #6315 of 6332 Old 05-17-2019, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRisti View Post
Getting these blue and yellow lines outlining images , what could be the reason and how to correct this ?

Colors parted. Try a digital non-retraction system. The projector must be "pixel reduction".
But your projector has a very bad problem with colors. Perhaps the control board of the optical unit has a problem. Blue went both vertically and horizontally. Red with green as well. Make a full reset in the service menu of all settings.

ps Blue back into place vertically down and horizontally to the right. Everything should be normalized.

Last edited by Slonopot; 05-17-2019 at 08:23 AM.
post #6316 of 6332 Old 06-28-2019, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hi all,

Been awhile here, hopefully many are still using this great projector! I wanted to get some opinions as I look to buying a nice screen for my dedicated space.

I am leaning towards Stewart, but not sure if I go with StudioTek 100 or 130. I havent had much experience with a good screen with the projector and not sure if in low lamp mode that the ST100 will be great, which i would use most of the time. I would use high lamp for TV / Sports events and having some low ambiant light. Would be watching in total darkness for movies.

Here are room details:

Throw: 15.5 ft
screen: 120" width 2.40:1
Room: Black flat ceilings, medium gray walls, medium gray carpet.
lighting: small window with room darkening. Cove lighting.

So if I wanted to watch in low lamp mode most of the time for this setting, which material would you go with?

TIA

See Profile
post #6317 of 6332 Old 06-28-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 12545 Post(s)
Liked: 10163
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
Hi all,

Been awhile here, hopefully many are still using this great projector! I wanted to get some opinions as I look to buying a nice screen for my dedicated space.

I am leaning towards Stewart, but not sure if I go with StudioTek 100 or 130. I havent had much experience with a good screen with the projector and not sure if in low lamp mode that the ST100 will be great, which i would use most of the time. I would use high lamp for TV / Sports events and having some low ambiant light. Would be watching in total darkness for movies.

Here are room details:

Throw: 15.5 ft
screen: 120" width 2.40:1
Room: Black flat ceilings, medium gray walls, medium gray carpet.
lighting: small window with room darkening. Cove lighting.

So if I wanted to watch in low lamp mode most of the time for this setting, which material would you go with?

TIA
The VW500 has enough brightness in low lamp for SDR on that size screen with 1.0 gain, since you are close to the short end of the throw range. You will run out of brightness a lot sooner, since you do not have much extra lumens to play with and have to go to high lamp sooner. ST130 solves that problem, but at a cost of some sparkle. So if you want to stay in low lamp for your viewing, I would go with ST130.
post #6318 of 6332 Old 06-28-2019, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The VW500 has enough brightness in low lamp for SDR on that size screen with 1.0 gain, since you are close to the short end of the throw range. You will run out of brightness a lot sooner, since you do not have much extra lumens to play with and have to go to high lamp sooner. ST130 solves that problem, but at a cost of some sparkle. So if you want to stay in low lamp for your viewing, I would go with ST130.
Yeah, that is what i figured to go with ST130, especially with the move one day in future to a laser projector and HDR. Noise control is important factor for me so that i can run the projector as silent as possible. I hope the ST130 sparkle isnt that bad, just want the absolute best picture in my particular setting and use case.

See Profile
post #6319 of 6332 Old 06-28-2019, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 47
In my old theatre room which was black I had a Stewart ST130 125" 2.35:1 screen with my VW500 on low lamp mode with a throw at 14' 8" and looked awesome.

I too watched TV sports etc with lights on and still great. I'm sure you will be happy with that choice like I was.

Now I just need a bigger screen.. are you there Mike.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #6320 of 6332 Old 08-11-2019, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello all, just recently purchased a VPLVW500ES have calibrated it to what i think it should be but have a fgew questions if someone could help me out.

Current firmware is v1.006 - ive seen there is a v1.100 would this be the latest or anything newer than this again?

To really see the true beauty of this projector, before watching any content on it should i be letting it warm up first for a certain period of time before watching a film to see the true colours and deep blacks?

Is there any calibration settings you guys have used or something i can calibrate myself using settings or a template to follow?

The reason im asking this i have it linked to my Kodi on my main system and the screen has a white haze over the screen but i think thats probably down to a large bay window in the day brings daylight across the screen. I have not blacked this out.

The bulb only has used around 800ish hours.

Any other tips is greatly appreciated.
post #6321 of 6332 Old 08-11-2019, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Photos of the Haze
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190810_181932.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2601644   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190810_181934.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	2601646  
post #6322 of 6332 Old 08-12-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 12545 Post(s)
Liked: 10163
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron Borson View Post
Hello all, just recently purchased a VPLVW500ES have calibrated it to what i think it should be but have a fgew questions if someone could help me out.

Current firmware is v1.006 - ive seen there is a v1.100 would this be the latest or anything newer than this again?

To really see the true beauty of this projector, before watching any content on it should i be letting it warm up first for a certain period of time before watching a film to see the true colours and deep blacks?

Is there any calibration settings you guys have used or something i can calibrate myself using settings or a template to follow?

The reason im asking this i have it linked to my Kodi on my main system and the screen has a white haze over the screen but i think thats probably down to a large bay window in the day brings daylight across the screen. I have not blacked this out.

The bulb only has used around 800ish hours.

Any other tips is greatly appreciated.
Is the haze gone, when viewing at night time?
post #6323 of 6332 Old 08-15-2019, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Photos of the Haze
May just be a case of switching to a different gamma setting?

Stephen Hawking.
post #6324 of 6332 Old 08-15-2019, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think 1.100 is the latest.

Stephen Hawking.
post #6325 of 6332 Old 09-08-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I just gave my 600ES its 3rd and final lamp yesterday. With 2000 hours on the old one, it is now bright enough that I felt compelled to pop in the WOW disc and run through brightness, contrast, color, and hue. As long as I was fooling around, I did focus and panel alignment, too. Picture looks great. Then I put in Interstellar and ended up getting sucked in and watched it all the way through.

I say "3rd and final lamp" because I am working off a comment by Stacey Spears that next year (2020)'s generation of projectors will hopefully handle HDR better than the current model year (2019)'s. So I'm going for one more year on the 600 before upgrading.

But I have a question. I have occasionally run the 600's self-calibration. It seems to flash the screen correctly, but it never seems to change anything. The Before and After dE's are always the same. Is there a step I'm missing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cal.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	2612652  
post #6326 of 6332 Old 09-09-2019, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
I just gave my 600ES its 3rd and final lamp yesterday. With 2000 hours on the old one, it is now bright enough that I felt compelled to pop in the WOW disc and run through brightness, contrast, color, and hue. As long as I was fooling around, I did focus and panel alignment, too. Picture looks great. Then I put in Interstellar and ended up getting sucked in and watched it all the way through.

I say "3rd and final lamp" because I am working off a comment by Stacey Spears that next year (2020)'s generation of projectors will hopefully handle HDR better than the current model year (2019)'s. So I'm going for one more year on the 600 before upgrading.

But I have a question. I have occasionally run the 600's self-calibration. It seems to flash the screen correctly, but it never seems to change anything. The Before and After dE's are always the same. Is there a step I'm missing?
When I have run self calibration, the changes are usually very minor... perhaps yours is staying in calibration... for me 2000 hours on a lamp is a little early to change it, I have been doing 2500-2700...

I just retired my 500ES (same as US 600es) and about to list it for sale, I bought a new JVC NX9.... Does the JVC look better..yes, but does it look THAT much better... well, subjective I suppose... The 500ES always threw a Nice picture... like you, I upgraded mostly for HDR...

If anyone is interested in the 500es I will be posting it here in the classifieds, or PM me. I live in the US.
post #6327 of 6332 Old 09-11-2019, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

I am still on my original lamp and wondering when folks are changing the lamp at around 2500hrs. Is that on high lamp mode?
post #6328 of 6332 Old 09-11-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
I am still on my original lamp and wondering when folks are changing the lamp at around 2500hrs. Is that on high lamp mode?
Did you really mean "when"? Or maybe "why"?

I run my 600 in low lamp mode except when watching 3D or HDR discs. I find that after 2000 hours a new lamp is significantly brighter than the previous one.

If you're going to replace your lamp, I suggest not delaying the purchase. It appears the genuine Sony lamps are becoming scarce and increasing in price. US dealers were generally out of stock and I had to get my lamp shipped directly to me from Hong Kong.
post #6329 of 6332 Old 09-11-2019, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'd agree on the genuine lamps being harder to find etc. I recently found one and bought it to have as a spare.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #6330 of 6332 Old 09-12-2019, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
Did you really mean "when"? Or maybe "why"?

I run my 600 in low lamp mode except when watching 3D or HDR discs. I find that after 2000 hours a new lamp is significantly brighter than the previous one.

If you're going to replace your lamp, I suggest not delaying the purchase. It appears the genuine Sony lamps are becoming scarce and increasing in price. US dealers were generally out of stock and I had to get my lamp shipped directly to me from Hong Kong.
Meant to ask if folks are changing their lamps when they reach 2500 hrs on high or low lamp mode because I would imagine the lamp could go on longer on low.

Good point, I should stock up on one. I would be worried though on having to store it for so long and finding out that it’s defective upon replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sony Vpl Vw500es

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page