JVC Auto Calibration - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 219Likes

post #751 of 806 Old 01-31-2019, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The calibrations are first loaded into the projector so you can visually check the results as well as the calibration log. You can then decide if you want to accept the results by clicking on Save, or abort the calibration by going back to the previous step.
The first time you Save, the software also saves the original factory calibration which you can later restore.
Thank you. If all we want to do is correct gamma droop not any HDR curves or other stuff, is there a guide we can read to get us up and running easiest? I have a spyder 5 pro
Did you ever end up doings this?

I am just looking to do a gamma correction on my JVC X790 while using the JVC Software and the Spyder 5. I have read through a good portion of the thread and just want to see if I am on the right track with what I will be doing. Below are the steps I believe I need to perform:

1. Turn on projector
2. Have JVC calibration and Spyder software installed on the computer (Spyder Software can not be running in the background)
3. Select the settings menu in the JVC software
4. Ensure the computer has a connection to the projector by testing this in the settings menu
5. I will only be adjusting Gamma so I will just select the Gamma only calibration type in the settings menu
6. Input screen size and viewing distance
7. Select the location for the backup file
8. Enter Serial number of projector
9. Connect the Spyder 5 to the computer
10. Select Calibration procedure from the main menu
11. Install Spyder 5 between the projector and the screen
12. Setup the Picture mode for calibration
13. Start calibration
14. The results will then be displayed
15. Click save button

Now is where I get a little lost and I am not sure of the next steps:

16. Once the calibration is complete does it automatically correct the base Gamma and send it to the projector?
17. Do I need to run a calibration on each Picture Mode? I believe I do
18. Does the calibration need to be run at different Lens Apertures or just with the Lens Aperture at 0? I currently use -11 for SDR and 0 for HDR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 806 Old 01-31-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post

I am just looking to do a gamma correction on my JVC X790 while using the JVC Software and the Spyder 5. I have read through a good portion of the thread and just want to see if I am on the right track with what I will be doing. Below are the steps I believe I need to perform:

1. Turn on projector
2. Have JVC calibration and Spyder software installed on the computer (Spyder Software can not be running in the background)
4. Ensure the computer has a connection to the projector by testing this in the settings menu
5. I will only be adjusting Gamma so I will just select the Gamma only calibration type in the settings menu
13. Start calibration
15. Click save button

16. Once the calibration is complete does it automatically correct the base Gamma and send it to the projector?
18. Does the calibration need to be run at different Lens Apertures or just with the Lens Aperture at 0? I currently use -11 for SDR and 0 for HDR
16. It sends the new gamma curve at the end of the calibration run. It's already loaded before you hit the save button. This is temporary until you hit save.

17. The RS540, which I think is what you have, uses separate gamma data for SDR gamma modes, BT2020, and CMD. Maybe also for lamp power.

18. Lens aperture doesn't matter. What does matter is getting the Spyder5 close enough that you get good readings on the low end. Put it right on the edge of the rectangle or even closer without it clipping on the high end. If you don't get good low end readings then it will probably show up as overly bright right at the bottom (just above black). Use a good black clipping pattern to check this. Look at it before and after.

Let us know how it goes. If you look at my posts about this, you'll see I've not been satisfied with it.
coxy2416 likes this.

Last edited by talon95; 01-31-2019 at 05:15 PM.
post #753 of 806 Old 01-31-2019, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
Quote:

1. Turn on projector
13. Start calibration
15. Click save button

16. It sends the new gamma curve at the end of the calibration run. It's already loaded before you hit the save button. In fact I think it sticks whether you hit save or not unless it doesn't survive a power cycle.

17. The RS540, which I think is what you have, uses separate gamma data for SDR gamma modes, BT2020, and CMD. Maybe also for lamp power.

18. Lens aperture doesn't matter. What does matter is getting the Spyder5 close enough that you get good readings on the low end. Put it right on the edge of the rectangle or even closer without it clipping on the high end. If you don't get good low end readings then it will probably show up as overly bright right at the bottom (just above black). Use a good black clipping pattern to check this. Look at it before and after.

Let us know how it goes. If you look at my posts about this, you'll see I've not been satisfied with it.
I am a little worried about making things worse.

I currently have Javs gamma curves loaded for my HDR material. Would I need to run the calibration software on these or just the standard HDR gamma? Not to sure how Javs curves are created and if this would mess them up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 806 Old 01-31-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked: 1681
Quote:
16. It sends the new gamma curve at the end of the calibration run. It's already loaded before you hit the save button. In fact I think it sticks whether you hit save or not unless it doesn't survive a power cycle.
The calibration results reside in a temporary buffer until you hit Save. The results are discarded if you switch to a different Picture Mode (and when you power down).

Quote:
There are separate calibration data for each combination of CMD, colour filter and lamp power. This is explained in the autocal instructions.

Quote:
18. Lens aperture doesn't matter.
The gamma may vary slightly when you change aperture, but there are no separate calibrations for different aperture settings. For colour calibration there are independent calibration data for different aperture ranges.
coxy2416 likes this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-31-2019 at 10:16 AM.
post #755 of 806 Old 01-31-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I currently have Javs gamma curves loaded for my HDR material. Would I need to run the calibration software on these or just the standard HDR gamma? Not to sure how Javs curves are created and if this would mess them up.
The custom curves will not perform correctly if the projector has developed gamma droop. Run autocal in Log Only mode with Normal gamma, to see it shows a diagonal straight line.
coxy2416 likes this.
post #756 of 806 Old 01-31-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You want to run it in the standard preset like Cinema with the associated gamma curve. Not in HDR. It shouldn't screw up the custom curve as you are calibrating the base gamma that the custom curve modifies if I understand it correctly.

The first time you run the calibration it saves an init file. This file is GOLD. It is your way back to the original factory calibration. It is the only way back. Make backups. You can restore it from the settings screen. I've done it 3 times now so it does work. Takes a long time. Like 30 minutes.
coxy2416 likes this.
post #757 of 806 Old 01-31-2019, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

The custom curves will not perform correctly if the projector has developed gamma droop. Run autocal in Log Only mode with Normal gamma, to see it shows a diagonal straight line.
So log only mode will just show me where the gamma curve is sitting and not correct anything?

I have been seeing pumping from the DI which I don’t recall seeing early on with the projector. I want to check and correct the gamma as I am wondering if the droop has any play on how the DI is working.
post #758 of 806 Old 01-31-2019, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

You want to run it in the standard preset like Cinema with the associated gamma curve. Not in HDR. It shouldn't screw up the custom curve as you are calibrating the base gamma that the custom curve modifies if I understand it correctly.

The first time you run the calibration it saves an init file. This file is GOLD. It is your way back to the original factory calibration. It is the only way back. Make backups. You can restore it from the settings screen. I've done it 3 times now so it does work. Takes a long time. Like 30 minutes.
That was my understanding as well. Calibrate the SDR gamma and the HDR curves works off of that baseline but I don’t fully understand it and could be mistaken.

I will also backup that file in multiple places as I’m sure I’ll screw something up. lol
post #759 of 806 Old 01-31-2019, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
The calibration results reside in a temporary buffer until you hit Save. The results are discarded if you switch to a different Picture Mode (and when you power down).

Quote:
There are separate calibration data for each combination of CMD, colour filter and lamp power. This is explained in the autocal instructions.

Quote:
18. Lens aperture doesn't matter.
The gamma may vary slightly when you change aperture, but there are no separate calibrations for different aperture settings. For colour calibration there are independent calibration data for different aperture ranges.
I never use clear motion drive or the colour filter in SDR and always run the projector in low lamp so that should make for less work.
post #760 of 806 Old 01-31-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So log only mode will just show me where the gamma curve is sitting and not correct anything?
Yes
coxy2416 likes this.
post #761 of 806 Old 01-31-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That was not my experience the other night. I had run the calibration, gotten to the final plot, then hit the return arrow rather than save (because it was screwed up). I know it did not revert as I had the black clipping bars displayed the entire time and they did not revert back.

I also saw a post by someone, maybe Manni, saying all the save button does is save the calibration file to disk on the pc.
post #762 of 806 Old 01-31-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
I have been seeing pumping from the DI which I don’t recall seeing early on with the projector. I want to check and correct the gamma as I am wondering if the droop has any play on how the DI is working.
I got my RS57/X700 used w/600 hrs on it. Running low lamp and manual iris around -10, there was essentially no iris pumping.

After about 1000hrs I started to see pumping as I had opened to maybe -5 iris, to about -3 around at 1300hrs.

Since I had a spare new lamp on hand, I decided to pop it in. Back to about -10 iris, my pumping is gone again
coxy2416 likes this.
post #763 of 806 Old 01-31-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That was not my experience the other night. I had run the calibration, gotten to the final plot, then hit the return arrow rather than save (because it was screwed up). I know it did not revert as I had the black clipping bars displayed the entire time and they did not revert back.

I also saw a post by someone, maybe Manni, saying all the save button does is save the calibration file to disk on the pc.
I’m 95% sure what I said was correct. Hitting “Return” won’t revert until you switch profiles or Picture Modes.

The Autocal instruction says “Save the results if these are in order”, however you want to interpret that.

If the software actually behaves the way you descibe, it would mean that if the first calibration is “bad” and you choose not to save it, you would be doomed as there would be no way to revert back. (The Init file is only saved when you click on Save for the first time).

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-31-2019 at 04:42 PM.
post #764 of 806 Old 01-31-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’m 95% sure what I said was correct. Hitting “Return” won’t revert until you switch profiles or Picture Modes. The manual.

The Autocal instruction says “Save the results if these are in order”, however you want to interpret that.

If the software actually behaves the way you descibe, it would mean that if the first calibration is “bad” and you choose not to save it, you would be doomed as there would be no way to revert back. (The Init file is only saved when you click on Save for the first time).
That makes sense. I guess all I know for sure is that it didn't immediately revert back like I was expecting.

The whole process is made confusing by having minimal visibility in the software to what changes it really made. It provides some graphs, but as you pointed out in the other thread, the graph isn't sufficient to fully see how the gamma curve has been changed. That curve can look great, but the low end can be off quite a bit.
post #765 of 806 Old 01-31-2019, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That was my understanding as well. Calibrate the SDR gamma and the HDR curves works off of that baseline but I don’t fully understand it and could be mistaken.

I will also backup that file in multiple places as I’m sure I’ll screw something up. lol
Try calibrating it first in a combination you don't use (like CMD on) so that you can experiment without screwing with your normal viewing mode. I would not have needed to restore the init file if I had started this way.

I think I did finally get it to work to my satisfaction just now. I put the meter as close as I could (a little to the right of the rectangle actually) without it clipping. Although the 0-5% black bars never look as good as the original calibration. I tried watching a scene that I've been using for testing and it looked good though. So maybe it's not enough to be noticeable on real world material.
coxy2416 likes this.
post #766 of 806 Old 02-01-2019, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is an example of what I saw with my DI when it was calibrated wrong.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57533616

NX9 in his case, but that's exactly what happened.
coxy2416 likes this.
post #767 of 806 Old 02-01-2019, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Try calibrating it first in a combination you don't use (like CMD on) so that you can experiment without screwing with your normal viewing mode. I would not have needed to restore the init file if I had started this way.

I think I did finally get it to work to my satisfaction just now. I put the meter as close as I could (a little to the right of the rectangle actually) without it clipping. Although the 0-5% black bars never look as good as the original calibration. I tried watching a scene that I've been using for testing and it looked good though. So maybe it's not enough to be noticeable on real world material.
That’s a good point. I’m first going to run it in log mode so I can just get a reading to see where my gamma is sitting.

Then I’ll run it in a picture mode that I don’t use for the first calibration in case I mess something up.
post #768 of 806 Old 02-02-2019, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

So I just ran a log only scan with the Spyder 5 and I was expecting to see a gamm droop. If I’m reading the graph correctly it shows that my gamma is not dropping and going the other way.

Is this normal or have I maybe messed something up?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F0C03937-4A26-4E8F-8397-D9254C9AF701_1549139454310.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	2519624  
post #769 of 806 Old 02-02-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I just ran a log only scan with the Spyder 5 and I was expecting to see a gamm droop. If I’m reading the graph correctly it shows that my gamma is not dropping and going the other way.

It bowed upward on mine as well.
coxy2416 likes this.
post #770 of 806 Old 02-02-2019, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

I usually run at a gamma of 2.3 under my user 2 setting. Now if I run the gamma only calibration on my main SDR picture mode will it adjust the gamma setting for all picture modes?

Or do I need to run it for Film, Cinema, Natural, Thx......

Last edited by coxy2416; 02-02-2019 at 12:56 PM.
post #771 of 806 Old 02-02-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So In just ran a log only scan with the Spyder 5 and I was expecting to see a gamm droop. If I’m reading the graph correctly it shows that my gamma is not dropping and going the other way.
Quote:
Bowing upwards is gamma droop. Keep in mind a lower gamma means a higher luminance in the mid range.
smitty and coxy2416 like this.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 02-02-2019 at 01:15 PM.
post #772 of 806 Old 02-02-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I usually run at a gamma of 2.3 under my user 2 setting. Now if I run the gamma only calibration on my main SDR picture mode will it adjust the gamma setting for all picture modes?

There is only one gamma calibration for each combination of filter, CMD and lamp power.
coxy2416 likes this.
post #773 of 806 Old 02-02-2019, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

There is only one gamma calibration for each combination of filter, CMD and lamp power.
Got it, so I really only need to run it once for my instance as I am not using the filter, never use CMD and always have the lamp on low.
post #774 of 806 Old 02-02-2019, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
So In just ran a log only scan with the Spyder 5 and I was expecting to see a gamm droop. If I’m reading the graph correctly it shows that my gamma is not dropping and going the other way.
Quote:
Bowing upwards is gamma droop. Keep in mind a lower gamma means a higher luminance in the mid range.
Gonna run the calibration on the projector tomorrow and hopefully that will adjust everything back to normal and not screw anything up. Lol
post #775 of 806 Old 02-03-2019, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just ran the Gamma calibration this morning without a hitch and I know have a nice straight Gamma line.

On top of this I ran some scenes I was having issues with the DI acting up and they seem ok now. Hopefully that sticks and my DI issue was just caused by the Gamma droop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2732.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2520016  
bobof likes this.
post #776 of 806 Old 02-03-2019, 11:03 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
Just ran the Gamma calibration this morning without a hitch and I know have a nice straight Gamma line.

On top of this I ran some scenes I was having issues with the DI acting up and they seem ok now. Hopefully that sticks and my DI issue was just caused by the Gamma droop.
One final step, give yourself a pat on the back for spending $100 and a few hours to get your PJ much closer to reference than most will ever be...
coxy2416 likes this.
post #777 of 806 Old 02-04-2019, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Quote:

One final step, give yourself a pat on the back for spending $100 and a few hours to get your PJ much closer to reference than most will ever be... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Even after completing the gamma calibration I am still seeing the DI issue.

This time around it was my PS4 that sent the DI into a tail spin. I played multiple movie scenes without issue and then tried a game on the PS4 that had a really bright scene followed by a dark scene and that messed up the DI.

For some reason everytime this happens the DI gets out of sink. The menu setting can be showing the DI at “0” but when I check it is certainly not and shows a diamond shape.

Kind of at a loss as to why it’s happening And have sent an email to my dealer and JVC tech to get their thoughts on the next steps. The only way to avoid the DI issue with HDR is to unfortunately not use it.

Here is what the DI was doing during a scene with Ant-Man and the Wasp. It sailed through this scene without issue earlier in the day.

https://youtu.be/QiABMIyW2pg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3C25A2D4-7726-4094-8AAF-77B79C7C49C0_1549280328065.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	2520228   Click image for larger version

Name:	965CE7ED-69FD-4B58-9625-5EF7821F9A6A_1549280342006.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	2520230  
post #778 of 806 Old 02-04-2019, 05:34 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:

This time around it was my PS4 that sent the DI into a tail spin. I played multiple movie scenes without issue and then tried a game on the PS4 that had a really bright scene followed by a dark scene and that messed up the DI.

For some reason everytime this happens the DI gets out of sink. The menu setting can be showing the DI at “0” but when I check it is certainly not and shows a diamond shape.

Kind of at a loss as to why it’s happening And have sent an email to my dealer and JVC tech to get their thoughts on the next steps. The only way to avoid the DI issue with HDR is to unfortunately not use it.

Here is what the DI was doing during a scene with Ant-Man and the Wasp. It sailed through this scene without issue earlier in the day.

At this point I think you just have to say it seems mechanically broken or some sensor has stopped working. Film some video of it with the settings as they are and the iris stuck partially closed try and get it authorized for replacement by JVC if the service centre can't figure it out.
coxy2416 likes this.
post #779 of 806 Old 02-04-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The only time I ever hear that woodpecker sound is on startup. Shouldn't do it for normal viewing. The issue I had with calibration was just gamma being too high below 5% causing the iris to not close down when it normally does.
coxy2416 likes this.
post #780 of 806 Old 02-21-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Since the Spyder5 has been discontinued will the new SpyderX be useable instead in the near future?
saltanar likes this.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page