JVC Auto Calibration - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 219Likes

post #781 of 806 Old 02-24-2019, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Hi, does some one here have some experince with JVC Autocal function in Calman 5? I am little confused with seting, JVC autocal software who was maded by JVC is greate but his support for others calibrated HW is terrible. Thank you for eny advices.

riddle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 806 Old 02-24-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddle View Post
Hi, does some one here have some experince with JVC Autocal function in Calman 5? I am little confused with seting, JVC autocal software who was maded by JVC is greate but his support for others calibrated HW is terrible. Thank you for eny advices.
AFAIK the CalMAN autocal only works with older models of JVC projectors, up to the x55/x75 generation.
post #783 of 806 Old 02-24-2019, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
AFAIK the CalMAN autocal only works with older models of JVC projectors, up to the x55/x75 generation.

In CalMAN menu i have this option, i think its will support more models. I already usk CalMAN if they will add some others models.

What is ideal way to how to calibrate JVC projector? Still by "Projector Calibration Software 11 v1.00" who is little buggy with X-Rite i1 Pro 2 or is bether way by CalMAN and manualy? :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 806 Old 03-03-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Forgive me if this has been asked before.. I bought a Spyder5 Pro that I plan to use for basic gamma correction. This is my first calibration-like "tool" for a projector, but after taking it out of the box, something hit me.. Based on where my PC is located and where my projector is.. along with the location of the tripod when I set it, there's no way this thing will be able to plug into my PC. So obviously I'm thinking USB extender, but the website said not to use this on a HUB or usb extender because of power concerns. Do any of you currently use USB extenders? if so does it need to be usb 2 or 3?
post #785 of 806 Old 03-03-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post
Forgive me if this has been asked before.. I bought a Spyder5 Pro that I plan to use for basic gamma correction. This is my first calibration-like "tool" for a projector, but after taking it out of the box, something hit me.. Based on where my PC is located and where my projector is.. along with the location of the tripod when I set it, there's no way this thing will be able to plug into my PC. So obviously I'm thinking USB extender, but the website said not to use this on a HUB or usb extender because of power concerns. Do any of you currently use USB extenders? if so does it need to be usb 2 or 3?
I use a 6’ USB extension cable and haven’t encountered any issues. For longer runs you may need a powered USB hub. I don’t think USB 2 or 3 should make a difference.

Note that to run autocal the video output from the PC does not need to be connected to the projector, but a valid input needs to be present all the time.
stumlad likes this.
post #786 of 806 Old 03-03-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I use a 6’ USB extension cable and haven’t encountered any issues. For longer runs you may need a powered USB hub. I don’t think USB 2 or 3 should make a difference.

Note that to run autocal the video output from the PC does not need to be connected to the projector, but a valid input needs to be present all the time.

I would probably need close to 20Ft if I were to have the Spyder5/tripod setup close to the screen as the PC is on the other end of the room. So I guess the question is.. for the purposes of using Autocal and perhaps doing a test to measure light output (maybe calculate contrast if possible), would I want the Spyder5/tripod close to the projector itself, or the screen? Or a combination of both?

Thanks
post #787 of 806 Old 03-03-2019, 01:19 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2227 Post(s)
Liked: 1377
Quote:
Bear in mind that at their heart colorimeters are analog devices, and so the quality of power to them can be significant. For my meters that have removeable USB leads, I make do with buying a high-quality replacement lead with nice heavy gauge wires of 3-4m length. Any more is dealt with by a powered hub. For devices with permanently affixed cable buy the best quality branded USB extension you can, again something with really nice heavy conductors. I most recently bought a Syncwire 6ft USB3 extension which was very well made and looked great quality, and performs well. You're usually at a disadvantage already with devices with captive cables as they're usually spec'd down to the minimum as it is.

If you were doing this seriously as a trade you might consider getting a beefy USB hub, which is often used in test and measurement with USB devices. Like this: https://vaunix.com/rugged-usb-hubs/
Total overkill for this though!
stumlad likes this.
post #788 of 806 Old 03-03-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would probably need close to 20Ft if I were to have the Spyder5/tripod setup close to the screen as the PC is on the other end of the room. So I guess the question is.. for the purposes of using Autocal and perhaps doing a test to measure light output (maybe calculate contrast if possible), would I want the Spyder5/tripod close to the projector itself, or the screen? Or a combination of both?
Running autocal using Spyder5 requires having the meter face the projector, 2 or 3 ft from the lens.
stumlad likes this.
post #789 of 806 Old 03-05-2019, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe borrow a laptop from someone?
stumlad likes this.
post #790 of 806 Old 03-05-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
Maybe borrow a laptop from someone?

Funny, even though I have a couple of laptops, I did not think of this. I was so fixated on using my HTPC that I overlooked this. Well if my extender USB doesnt work out, I'll know what to try Thank you for stating what should have been obvious
coxy2416 likes this.
post #791 of 806 Old 03-17-2019, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 547
This I am sure is a dumb question but I guess I have googled and looked through things and just can't find the answer.

I have the ES-2000 meter to use for color on the auto cal. But it does not have a tripod adapter and I see no where to find one. I know it has to point at the screen and I want to put it on my tri-pod.

Thanks for your help.

Home Theater: JVC NX7, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One
post #792 of 806 Old 03-17-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
This I am sure is a dumb question but I guess I have googled and looked through things and just can't find the answer.

I have the ES-2000 meter to use for color on the auto cal. But it does not have a tripod adapter and I see no where to find one. I know it has to point at the screen and I want to put it on my tri-pod.

Thanks for your help.
You will need a “Beamer holder” - see the following webpage (and search for “Beamer”)
https://displaycalibrations.com/x-ri...ions_info.html
BondDonBond likes this.
post #793 of 806 Old 03-18-2019, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Dominic, thank you for that, have it ordered. Man they are proud of those.

Sorry for the really dumb questions coming! I am new to JVC and auto cal.

So I ran auto cal for gamma. 709 tight as a drum. Then I did HDR? Does auto cal work for HDR? It was like a sine wave......

Home Theater: JVC NX7, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One
post #794 of 806 Old 03-18-2019, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I ran auto cal for gamma. 709 tight as a drum. Then I did HDR? Does auto cal work for HDR? It was like a sine wave......
You can only have one gamma calibration for a given combination of lamp power, CMD, colour filter. Thus you can calibrate 709 without filter, and HDR with filter.

However, I believe (not 100% sure but will verify next time I run autocal) the same calibration patterns are used regardless of whether you select Normal or ST2084 for gamma autocal, the only difference is in the curve they use for the Before and After logs.
post #795 of 806 Old 03-19-2019, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You can only have one gamma calibration for a given combination of lamp power, CMD, colour filter. Thus you can calibrate 709 without filter, and HDR with filter.

However, I believe (not 100% sure but will verify next time I run autocal) the same calibration patterns are used regardless of whether you select Normal or ST2084 for gamma autocal, the only difference is in the curve they use for the Before and After logs.
Ok, that is good information I did not see anywhere....

So I should run 709 w/o filter calibration 2.4 Gamma AND then HDR with filter 2.2 and that would be all I could do. But if I used 2.2 with the new Panni W/O filter I would not be able to do that if I did the others....

post #796 of 806 Old 03-19-2019, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, that is good information I did not see anywhere....

So I should run 709 w/o filter calibration 2.4 Gamma AND then HDR with filter 2.2 and that would be all I could do. But if I used 2.2 with the new Panni W/O filter I would not be able to do that if I did the others....
You can run autocal with 2.2 gamma for both. They won’t affect one another as the calibration data with and without filter are stores separately.

Also note that running autocal with gamma 2.2 calibrates the entire range (from 1.8 to 2.6, IIRC). There is no need to rerun the calibration if you switch to a different gamma value, as long as the lamp power, CMD, filter settings are the same as before.
BondDonBond likes this.
post #797 of 806 Old 03-28-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Has anyone tested results of running numerous autocal's over time vs. everting to the original backup init and running autocal?

In theory, the results should be the same and running autocal over and over should simply just rewrite the internal table values based on what the current light is doing. But I wonder if over time, especially as touch up calibrations are run as a lamp ages, if there is some carry over effect if you then run autocal on a new lamp. I have an older RS4910 and have run AutoCal probably 6 times through a few lamps and touchups. So I am wondering if anyone has ever tested reverting back to the original INIT file and then running autocal once they have run autocal numerous times vs. just continuing to running it over and over the previous calibration.
post #798 of 806 Old 03-28-2019, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Thanks for your help.
Sorry for the noob question, but will the ES-2000 work with the autocal on the x790r. Reading the JVC product support page it lists only the i2 pro.

No doubt you know a lot I don't, but I just want to make sure it works before I make an investment like this. Thank you.
post #799 of 806 Old 03-28-2019, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post
Sorry for the noob question, but will the ES-2000 work with the autocal on the x790r. Reading the JVC product support page it lists only the i2 pro.
If the Windows driver identifies it as an i1Pro2 then it works with autocal, even if it doesn’t work with x-rite apps.

BTW, this thread is for the older models. There’s a different thread for the RS500 and newer models.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 03-28-2019 at 08:10 PM.
post #800 of 806 Old 03-29-2019, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post

No doubt you know a lot I don't, but I just want to make sure it works before I make an investment like this. Thank you.
That is what I was told....haven't tried it yet because just found the mount.

post #801 of 806 Old 04-13-2019, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Then I did HDR? Does auto cal work for HDR? It was like a sine wave......
I found similar after doing an autocal on my X5900 with a Spyder5 Pro last night. Was going to look in to how to create a custom gamma profile as it didn't seem that simple with the Autocal software, and Ghost in the Shell is so dark in HDR you can't work out what's going on most of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR Gamma.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	2552594   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDR Colour.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	2552596  
BondDonBond likes this.
post #802 of 806 Old 04-13-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wippet83 View Post
I found similar after doing an autocal on my X5900 with a Spyder5 Pro last night. Was going to look in to how to create a custom gamma profile as it didn't seem that simple with the Autocal software, and Ghost in the Shell is so dark in HDR you can't work out what's going on most of the time.
Compared to calibrating the 'Cinema' profile:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cinema Gamma.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	2552598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cinema Colour.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	2552600  
post #803 of 806 Old 04-13-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wippet83 View Post
You can try some of my “bright curves” - see the first link in my signature. The second link suggests some settings without using custom curves.
post #804 of 806 Old 05-20-2019, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I’ve been trying to read everywhere but find nothing on using jvc autocal software if you get stuck at connecting the projector. I have software version 10 and the jvc x790r and I download the program fine set the network setting on the computer to match my ip settting for both the Ethernet and WiFi seperate times Ethernet has no default gateway listed. And every time I get connection is NG. I also input the screen size distance and projector serial number but no connection. Ethernet coed gives orange and green lights on both pc and projector so the connection is good just some setting is not good. Tried various ips for the projector but 1-2 hours of random numbers and such I gave up. If anyone could help that would be great.
post #805 of 806 Old 05-23-2019, 03:19 AM

I am about to purchase a 790x and this would be very useful to have.
post #806 of 806 Old 05-23-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I’ve been trying to read everywhere but find nothing on using jvc autocal software if you get stuck at connecting the projector. I have software version 10 and the jvc x790r and I download the program fine set the network setting on the computer to match my ip settting for both the Ethernet and WiFi seperate times Ethernet has no default gateway listed. And every time I get connection is NG. I also input the screen size distance and projector serial number but no connection. Ethernet coed gives orange and green lights on both pc and projector so the connection is good just some setting is not good. Tried various ips for the projector but 1-2 hours of random numbers and such I gave up. If anyone could help that would be great.
Have you tried both methods (direct connection between the projector and the pc; or through the router with DHCP)?

Sometimes you need to completely power down the projector (unplugging the power cord) and restart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page