5020 vs AE8000 Gaming - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New to the site.

Looking to finally make a purchase on a new projector. After reviewing specs/reviews/forums I'm still quite confused. I'm looking for an excellent projector for movies/tv that will be utilized periodically (20%) of the time for Gaming. I'm really stoked to play GTA5 on the big screen plus the new Battlefield when I receive my PS4.

I don't want to sacrifice quality to get a slower lag time. Seems like that would be the case if I chose the AE8000. I'm sold on the Epson 5020 but seems like the lag time is quite high. However, in the "Fast setting" it can be reduced to 50ms vs the AE8000 in "game mode" at 34ms. I'm assuming the "fast setting" minimizes quality which would be fine for gaming. I'm wondering what the noticable difference would be between those lag times, if any, given the gaming I would do.

A few notes:
Room will be 20ft by 20ft with no windows. If I use shelving the projector would be 18ft from the screen. Would this be an issue? I'm considering mounting and using wireless HDMI but not too sold on that.

Any possible projectors I havn't thought off? I just started looking at the Epson 5030 but havn't done enough research. Budget would be $4,000 for a projector/screen. I couldn't care less about 3D.

I'm sure this question has been asked a bunch of times, so I apologize (Canadian) but I'm pulling my hair out here trying to figure out the best setup and trying to navigate through so much information. Should mention I'm pretty techy, but not familiar with TV/Audio so much.

I'm currently running a Panasonic VT65 (2 years old) with Onkyo HT-S9400THX 7.1 after I gave up trying to determine the right projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 12792 Post(s)
Liked: 10427
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC3D View Post

New to the site.

Looking to finally make a purchase on a new projector. After reviewing specs/reviews/forums I'm still quite confused. I'm looking for an excellent projector for movies/tv that will be utilized periodically (20%) of the time for Gaming. I'm really stoked to play GTA5 on the big screen plus the new Battlefield when I receive my PS4.

I don't want to sacrifice quality to get a slower lag time. Seems like that would be the case if I chose the AE8000. I'm sold on the Epson 5020 but seems like the lag time is quite high. However, in the "Fast setting" it can be reduced to 50ms vs the AE8000 in "game mode" at 34ms. I'm assuming the "fast setting" minimizes quality which would be fine for gaming. I'm wondering what the noticable difference would be between those lag times, if any, given the gaming I would do.

A few notes:
Room will be 20ft by 20ft with no windows. If I use shelving the projector would be 18ft from the screen. Would this be an issue? I'm considering mounting and using wireless HDMI but not too sold on that.

Any possible projectors I havn't thought off? I just started looking at the Epson 5030 but havn't done enough research. Budget would be $4,000 for a projector/screen. I couldn't care less about 3D.

I'm sure this question has been asked a bunch of times, so I apologize (Canadian) but I'm pulling my hair out here trying to figure out the best setup and trying to navigate through so much information. Should mention I'm pretty techy, but not familiar with TV/Audio so much.

I'm currently running a Panasonic VT65 (2 years old) with Onkyo HT-S9400THX 7.1 after I gave up trying to determine the right projector.

Sent you a PM. smile.gif
post #3 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1599
Gaming on the epsons sucks vs the panny. If you were just watching movies, I'd go with the epson but I'd rather have the 8000 for an overall projector out of the 2. I had the 5010 and HATED any type of online gaming.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-17-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Bought the Sony HW50ES with Grandview PERM Prestige 135" MW.

Will have to do a lot more research before I figure out the seating/throw distances. Plus how to properly calibrate and select all the right settings.

Can't wait.....

Including shipping/taxes just under $4400 CAD.

P.S. I have no idea what I'm doing lol

post #5 of 7 Old 10-17-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 1599
The HW50 is a awesome unit. Congrats!!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #6 of 7 Old 10-17-2013, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Report back with what you think about gaming on the Sony. I think you likely made the right choice. Given the two you originally mentioned the AE8000 is much better for gaming.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-18-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

I'll report back when I have everything setup.

Ended up getting the motorized Grandview as the wall I planned on mounting was a little too small. Will have to pull the screen back 2ft and then I'll have enough room hanging it from the ceiling.

Also ordered a i1display 2 pro, and (AVE) calibration disk. Hoping to use the HCFR Calibration software.

Pretty much winging it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ube Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Wireless Front Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page