Official Epson Pro Cinema 6030UB Owners' Thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81Likes

post #421 of 625 Old 12-11-2014, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Just pulled the trigger and bought the 6030. Should have it by the middle of next week.
jimtigerpt and Tasdom like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 625 Old 12-11-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by proboller86 View Post
Just pulled the trigger and bought the 6030. Should have it by the middle of next week.
Congrats and welcome to the family. Make sure you do the latest firmware update so you are running v111.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...ailenhancement

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | Hulu | Roku Ultra | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #423 of 625 Old 12-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Enjoy!!

Onkyo Pre/Pro PR-SC5508 & Emotiva XPA-5's x 2
Klipsch RF-7II's Mains RC64II Center RB75's Heights RS-7's Sides RS-52II's Rears
Klipsch RW-12D Subs x 2
Klipsch Belle's
OPPO BDP-105 with Roku Streaming Stick
Epson 6030UB / Vapex 120" Electric Tensioned Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 625 Old 12-13-2014, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hopefully this spring I will have mine..... still debating on how this would suffice for normal TV viewing also. Anyone use this for normal TV viewing along with movies?
post #425 of 625 Old 12-13-2014, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtigerpt View Post
Hopefully this spring I will have mine..... still debating on how this would suffice for normal TV viewing also. Anyone use this for normal TV viewing along with movies?
I bought mine with the intention of using for movies only. My screen drops down in front of a 60" flat screen TV.
I haven't seen that TV for months. I watch everything on the 6030 and love it!!

Klipsch RF-7II's Mains RC64II Center RB75's Heights RS-7's Sides RS-52II's Rears
Klipsch RW-12D Subs x 2
Klipsch Belle's
post #426 of 625 Old 12-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Nobody Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
If you a Black Diamond Screen or a darkens area it will work for TV viewing just the same a a plasma, heck I have had folks ask if it was a plasma before!
jimtigerpt likes this.
post #427 of 625 Old 12-13-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
TV and movies - love it!

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | Hulu | Roku Ultra | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #428 of 625 Old 12-15-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Mine will be here in a couple of days, cant wait
post #429 of 625 Old 12-15-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel26or View Post
Mine will be here in a couple of days, cant wait
Congrats and welcome to the family. Make sure you do the latest firmware update so you are running v111.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...ailenhancement

post #430 of 625 Old 12-15-2014, 08:48 PM

So I received 6030 today. A day earlier than expected. So I haven't moved into my new place yet so it's just going to be in storage for the most part until then which should be around the first of the year. I did take it out to make sure everything worked and I wanted to see what the brightness would be for a given size as I haven't yet ordered my screen. I was going off projectorcentral's calculator and I don't know if I am doing something wrong or not but the numbers aren't correlating. On the website it says I shoot a 140" image from anywhere from 13'8" to 29'3". But when I was testing I had to be around 20' back in order to get the image that big. I turn the zoom dial from end to end but I couldn't be any closer than around 20 feet. What is going on? Thanks in advance.
post #431 of 625 Old 12-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Nobody Special Member

Quote:
So I received 6030 today. A day earlier than expected. So I haven't moved into my new place yet so it's just going to be in storage for the most part until then which should be around the first of the year. I did take it out to make sure everything worked and I wanted to see what the brightness would be for a given size as I haven't yet ordered my screen. I was going off projectorcentral's calculator and I don't know if I am doing something wrong or not but the numbers aren't correlating. On the website it says I shoot a 140" image from anywhere from 13'8" to 29'3". But when I was testing I had to be around 20' back in order to get the image that big. I turn the zoom dial from end to end but I couldn't be any closer than around 20 feet. What is going on? Thanks in advance.
I have mine mounted about 16' back hitting a 142" screen!
post #432 of 625 Old 12-15-2014, 09:50 PM

How do you like it on the 142" screen?
post #433 of 625 Old 12-15-2014, 09:53 PM
Nobody Special Member

Quote:
How do you like it on the 142" screen?
I like it a lot! Heck I have had folks think it is a huge plasma.
post #434 of 625 Old 12-16-2014, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
We are planning to buy this projector for our living room Epson 6030. The living room has ambient light which comes in. Do you think this projector would work?

Any idea how much this is going for now? Last time I checked the best deal on it was around 3500
post #435 of 625 Old 12-16-2014, 09:18 PM

Thats what i paid on amazon. free shipping no tax.
post #436 of 625 Old 12-16-2014, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya15 View Post
We are planning to buy this projector for our living room Epson 6030. The living room has ambient light which comes in. Do you think this projector would work?

Any idea how much this is going for now? Last time I checked the best deal on it was around 3500
PM Sent

Klipsch RW-12D Subs x 2
Klipsch Belle's
post #437 of 625 Old 12-17-2014, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have some ambient light coming in my room too, even after putting up special shades and light blocking curtains over the windows. However, this projector is bright enough to overcome that and by a considerable margin. I believe it could be even brighter in the room and the 6030 could still throw a good picture. To get a much brighter projector you would have to spend quite a bit more money as the Epson is one of the brightest mid-range projectors. It looks fabulous shooting on my Carada BW 106" screen. If you plan on shooting on a much larger screen that will have to be taken into consideration but the ambient light I receive has little effect at all on 106".

I paid $3500 for it through a local dealer (I think Amazon's price is even higher). I have installed my own projectors in the past but they would bring it out, install and set up for only $200 so I thought it would be worth it - and it certainly was. They did a great job (btw, this projector is very heavy and it was a two man job). I'm 66 years old and just felt it would be safer for both the projector and me to have them do it. Plus, if there was any problem with it they could bring it back and give me another. It just saves a bunch of trouble and work so that something you might consider, as long as the dealer is reasonable. Remember, you get an extra bulb, 3 year warranty and a great mount (I think it might be a Chief) with this projector, along with a few other features that make this projector a little more expensive but still a value based on performance and these extras.

Something else you might consider is professional calibration. After I had about 150 hours on the lamp I called in one of the best calibrators for both this projector and my audio system. Yes, it was expensive too but what a difference! I have great equipment including Yamaha Rx-v777bt, Salk custom speakers, Oppo, Darbee, etc. and prior to calibration I was getting half their capability. Now I have a system that I could not be more pleased with and is tweak as well as it can be. The calibration might be able to bring out a bit more fl output, even in Eco lamp mode, as it did mine, which should further help in your situation.

The only reason I'm saying all this is that getting a good projector is the easy part these days - most of the major brands are excellent. But once you do that you are only half way there. Getting it right for your room takes time and expertise and is the much more difficult part of home theater set-up. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.
AlexanderDelarg likes this.

shortspark
post #438 of 625 Old 12-17-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post
I have some ambient light coming in my room too, even after putting up special shades and light blocking curtains over the windows. However, this projector is bright enough to overcome that and by a considerable margin. I believe it could be even brighter in the room and the 6030 could still throw a good picture. To get a much brighter projector you would have to spend quite a bit more money as the Epson is one of the brightest mid-range projectors. It looks fabulous shooting on my Carada BW 106" screen. If you plan on shooting on a much larger screen that will have to be taken into consideration but the ambient light I receive has little effect at all on 106".

I paid $3500 for it through a local dealer (I think Amazon's price is even higher). I have installed my own projectors in the past but they would bring it out, install and set up for only $200 so I thought it would be worth it - and it certainly was. They did a great job (btw, this projector is very heavy and it was a two man job). I'm 66 years old and just felt it would be safer for both the projector and me to have them do it. Plus, if there was any problem with it they could bring it back and give me another. It just saves a bunch of trouble and work so that something you might consider, as long as the dealer is reasonable. Remember, you get an extra bulb, 3 year warranty and a great mount (I think it might be a Chief) with this projector, along with a few other features that make this projector a little more expensive but still a value based on performance and these extras.

Something else you might consider is professional calibration. After I had about 150 hours on the lamp I called in one of the best calibrators for both this projector and my audio system. Yes, it was expensive too but what a difference! I have great equipment including Yamaha Rx-v777bt, Salk custom speakers, Oppo, Darbee, etc. and prior to calibration I was getting half their capability. Now I have a system that I could not be more pleased with and is tweak as well as it can be. The calibration might be able to bring out a bit more fl output, even in Eco lamp mode, as it did mine, which should further help in your situation.

The only reason I'm saying all this is that getting a good projector is the easy part these days - most of the major brands are excellent. But once you do that you are only half way there. Getting it right for your room takes time and expertise and is the much more difficult part of home theater set-up. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.
Great points! I would only trust a professional with an install of this nature. I mean you are paying a lot of money for the equipment so why not get someone to set it up who really knows what they are doing? So I am saying that I really do not know what I am doing? You betcha! Can't wait to get mine in the next 6 months. Professionals all the way for me and worth the extra money.
post #439 of 625 Old 12-17-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:

Thanks for your points, I would make sure to go for pro for the installation. I am planning to put the Stewart Firehawk G4 screen size of 120 inch. Do you think it would work on it?
post #440 of 625 Old 12-17-2014, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Thanks for your points, I would make sure to go for pro for the installation. I am planning to put the Stewart Firehawk G4 screen size of 120 inch. Do you think it would work on it?
I have heard Stewart makes a terrific screen, however, I have no experience with them at all. In fact, the only screens I have ever used are Carada. This Epson should handle 120" easily.

shortspark
post #441 of 625 Old 12-17-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have heard Stewart makes a terrific screen, however, I have no experience with them at all. In fact, the only screens I have ever used are Carada. This Epson should handle 120" easily.
I use a Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" with my 6030 and could not be more happy. The customer service at Carada is second to none.

post #442 of 625 Old 12-17-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
I have a 123" Stewart Neve Cima screen. Epson 6030 works fine and screen is great in a light controlled room. Compared samples of firehawk etc before choosing the cima. I think it becomes subjective at the higher quality screens, in my opinion.
post #443 of 625 Old 12-17-2014, 10:54 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiltonj View Post
I have a 123" Stewart Neve Cima screen. Epson 6030 works fine and screen is great in a light controlled room. Compared samples of firehawk etc before choosing the cima. I think it becomes subjective at the higher quality screens, in my opinion.

I do not have the 6030, but I have the 6020 which has the same light output as the 6030. It is mated with a Stewart StudioTek 130, 1.3 gain, 12ft x5ft (approximately 157 inch di), and it does a great job. Therefore, you should have no problem with a smaller screen.
post #444 of 625 Old 12-17-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiggs001 View Post
I do not have the 6030, but I have the 6020 which has the same light output as the 6030. It is mated with a Stewart StudioTek 130, 1.3 gain, 12ft x5ft (approximately 157 inch di), and it does a great job. Therefore, you should have no problem with a smaller screen.
Any idea what would be the difference between Stewart StudioTek, Firehawk G4 and Cinem? Which one would be better where the outside light is coming in from the other parts of house.
post #445 of 625 Old 12-18-2014, 05:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Any idea what would be the difference between Stewart StudioTek, Firehawk G4 and Cinem? Which one would be better where the outside light is coming in from the other parts of house.
By the way I use to mate my projector with a Stewart Firehawk, 135 inch dia, 16:9 screen (I still have this screen in its original package) but decided to go with the Stewart SudioTek when I upgraded to the 2.40:1 aspect ratio. I did not see any difference between them which could be due to the fact that my home theater is dedicated and does not have any windows to let in outside light. I do not know anything about the Cinem.
post #446 of 625 Old 12-18-2014, 06:25 PM

Picture Quality with Different Screen Sizes

OK, anyone have experience or opinions with this projector on how the picture quality may differ or not when you project to a screen say 90-100 inches versus 120-140? I am assuming all things equal as far as lighting in the room. Is it the same issues as compared to a TV? The larger the TV set you can see more of the imperfections for example than a smaller TV.
post #447 of 625 Old 12-19-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Figured out the problem. Must have either been a bad or old HDMI cable that was causing the issues. Hooked up the HDMI cable that I was using for the PS4 and everything works like a charm. Love this thing.
post #448 of 625 Old 12-19-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
OK, anyone have experience or opinions with this projector on how the picture quality may differ or not when you project to a screen say 90-100 inches versus 120-140? I am assuming all things equal as far as lighting in the room. Is it the same issues as compared to a TV? The larger the TV set you can see more of the imperfections for example than a smaller TV.

I will be getting a fairly large screen but for now just projected on the wall at 150 inches and when you're up close you can definitely see the imperfections and pixels. BUT, when you go bigger you also have to sit farther away and I sat back 15 feet and watch the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on a sub par painted wall and I was blown away and the quality of DVD. Can't wait to get a screen. I have chosen www.jamestownhometheaterscreen.com as the screen I am going to go with but have quite decided on the size. 140 or 150 just don't know which one yet.
post #449 of 625 Old 12-19-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfyre View Post
Will be going to someone's home tomorrow to test the 6030. Specifically bringing a PS3, ps4 and Xbox one.

Want to test some games (resogun, USF4, and Killer Instinct) and see how it feels. We wanted this proj. until we heard of the input lag.

Our new # 1 choice is the Sony HW55ES since it's decent for movies/games apparenrtly, but still gotta try the 6030

maybe, since i'm not a very good player, i won't notice any delays/lag

Regards,

Sanjay

Wondering if this ever happened. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 6030 as my first projector and gaming performance is a critical requirement. I know it has a FAST image processing mode which they say in the manual can be used for console gaming needs but would love to hear from people who have done sports and/or FPS type gaming on their 6030 using Xbox 360, Xbox One, or PS4.
post #450 of 625 Old 12-19-2014, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quick question for the group of 6030 owners. While reading post related to the 5020/5030 models, there is a view that they are more susceptible to dust blobs. Does anyone have a perspective on how susceptible the 6030 is to dust blobs?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6020ub 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page