Official Epson Pro Cinema 6030UB Owners' Thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81Likes

post #601 of 625 Old 09-25-2016, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
Hello 6030 AVS friends! Can someone please tell me where in the menu you go to find the lamp hours? I'm planning on selling mine and I need to be able to have that info for my sales thread. Thanks! BD
Look at "Info" for lamp hours.
BamaDave likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 625 Old 09-25-2016, 06:34 PM
Nobody Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Look at "Info" for lamp hours.
Thanks I totally overlooked that! Now I have it posted, thanks again!
post #603 of 625 Old 05-26-2017, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I purchased a 6030UB but found both HDMI ports are not working (no signal) I did some testing and VGA works fine, component works except for the blue port. Anybody pulled one of these apart? I'm hoping its just a cable inside that needs to be seated again.

For the record I tried two different working HDMI cables and went between HDMI1 and HDMI2 (projector seems to lock up for 20 seconds when I switch to either of these) Two different HDMI sources from two different laptops. The laptops also do not see any output being sent via HDMI. Hoping for the best on the repair!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 625 Old 05-26-2017, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro300 View Post
I purchased a 6030UB but found both HDMI ports are not working (no signal) I did some testing and VGA works fine, component works except for the blue port. Anybody pulled one of these apart? I'm hoping its just a cable inside that needs to be seated again.

For the record I tried two different working HDMI cables and went between HDMI1 and HDMI2 (projector seems to lock up for 20 seconds when I switch to either of these) Two different HDMI sources from two different laptops. The laptops also do not see any output being sent via HDMI. Hoping for the best on the repair!
Did some basic component level troubleshooting and found the surface mount fuses were fine on each of the HDMI leads that went into the main processor. I did, however, find the Pb on the component jack was shorted. I isolated the port by removing the center contact and was still shorted to ground. Following the traces it also went into the same processor so appears the chip is bad which isn't user replaceable.

For now I'm going to just use a HDMI to VGA converter and hope HDCP wont stop an image from being sent through it (though it says HDCP compliant)

Last edited by maestro300; 05-28-2017 at 04:44 PM.
post #605 of 625 Old 12-29-2017, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Epson 6030 distorted image - anyone seen this?

Hi,

Have an Epson 6030 purchased in 2013. It has worked well and have only seen this 'distorted image' issue once before.

-- basic description is that there is horizontal lines / blurring happening on both HDMI inputs.
-- anything coming over either HDMI is messed up, but proj menus and all that still show razor sharp.

-- tried different cables, different sources (AVR to HDMI1, bluray direct to HDMI2, etc) and stays with HDMI inputs.
-- have not tried any other input like VGA, etc yet

Recently moved and just firing this unit up after sitting for 6 months. This happened once before in last house and only seemed to resolve itself after being powered down and trying next day.

I have done some quick searching of forums and haven't seen anything quite like this. Any info or suggestions on what to try is appreciated.

I am in the process of setting up new home theater and dealing with other new home issues...

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171229_163404.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	682.1 KB
ID:	2337170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171229_163455.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	712.7 KB
ID:	2337172  
post #606 of 625 Old 12-29-2017, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethirdnut View Post
Hi,

Have an Epson 6030 purchased in 2013. It has worked well and have only seen this 'distorted image' issue once before.

-- basic description is that there is horizontal lines / blurring happening on both HDMI inputs.
-- anything coming over either HDMI is messed up, but proj menus and all that still show razor sharp.

-- tried different cables, different sources (AVR to HDMI1, bluray direct to HDMI2, etc) and stays with HDMI inputs.
-- have not tried any other input like VGA, etc yet

Recently moved and just firing this unit up after sitting for 6 months. This happened once before in last house and only seemed to resolve itself after being powered down and trying next day.

I have done some quick searching of forums and haven't seen anything quite like this. Any info or suggestions on what to try is appreciated.

I am in the process of setting up new home theater and dealing with other new home issues...

Thank you.
Hi,

I've seen cases of weird aberrations of pixels and colors that didn't affect the menus being fixed by resetting the LCD ribbon cables. Still, it would be good if you tried VGA or Component inputs first, just to be sure it's not affecting the HDMI only.
thethirdnut likes this.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
post #607 of 625 Old 12-30-2017, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the feedback descalabro. I am working on getting mount + screen up and will test the other inputs to see if problem persists and report back.

As indicated this did happen once before and then cleared itself up and was fine for months.

If there is a loose connector or something that would make sense. Does anyone have access to any type of service manual or detailed pics of what to expect if a person were to try some repairs, exploration?

PS: I also still have the stock firmware on this unit - has there any weird boojums seen that are fw related?

Thx again
post #608 of 625 Old 12-30-2017, 06:54 PM

Does the same thing on VGA...

I guess I will be contacting Epson to figure this out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171230_194318.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2337708  
post #609 of 625 Old 12-31-2017, 01:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does the same thing on VGA...

I guess I will be contacting Epson to figure this out.
The ribbon cables are probably in place, but for some reason resetting them solves many of these problems. The same happens with LCD TV sets.

Here's an exploded view diagram:
https://www.gedat-spareparts.com/ex/eh_tw9200.pdf

This diagram can be a little bit overwhelming, but what you may need to look at is the second page: remove all the 'S0060' screws underneath the projector, and the 3 'S0080' screws on the back. The middle screw on the back, the one below the word "service", holds a little piece and I'm not sure you need to remove it. If you do, don't drop that part (check the diagram). You'll need a screwdriver, with an extension rod to reach the screws below. You may want a magnetic tip on it to pull the screws up. Make sure you hold it together when you flip the projector after removing the screws underneath.

Here's a video with some tips on how to remove the front part:

DO NOT remove the upper cover yet. I don't know this projector, but it seems the button menu is on the side, so there should be no cables attached to the cover. However, you should lift it up slowly and look underneath it just in case.

At second 56 of the video you have a clear view of the mainboard. The 3 black wide cables emerging from below near the lens belong to the LCDs. There's a white switch at the end of each one, which you have to flip up to release, and flip down to lock. This is all you have to do: for each of these 3 ribbon cables, flip the switch up, detach, re-insert and flip the switch down to lock. This should be smooth, no force is necessary.

Here's a video showing a ribbon cable switch in action:

You won't need to do anything else inside the projector, just close the projector and screw it back again.

Take it easy and don't force anything. If you feel something is stuck or stiff, confirm that you have removed all the screws, look around the projector and try to find out where it needs to be loosened up, then try to loosen it up a little bit, slowly. Double check for any screw I might have missed.

On the ribbon cables, use lab gloves preferably.

I hope this solves your problem, but please understand that I have no way of knowing for sure. The problem may be the mainboard itself, and I have no clue about possible firmware problems with this projector, but I suppose it wouldn't suddenly cause a problem like this if it's the same version you've ever had.

Good luck.
thethirdnut likes this.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
post #610 of 625 Old 01-01-2018, 10:03 AM

Thanks again for the awesome info descalabro. I will give this a whirl this week after I get the screen up.
post #611 of 625 Old 01-02-2018, 08:44 PM

So the disassembly, reseating of LCD ribbon cables & reassembly all went well. Unfortunately, this didn't make any difference and the problem persists.

I will look into official repair options, but the unit is likely NFG. Still have second, spare bulb that came with the unit in original packaging...

UPDATE:

-- firmware update from v100 --> v112 also did squat.
-- I decided to take the plunge and ordered a refurb 5030 from Epson. Cheaper than any new units I looked at, get the 2 year warranty and I already still have the mount + new spare bulb.

Not happy about the situation, but best course of action I could come up with...

Last edited by thethirdnut; 01-04-2018 at 02:47 PM.
post #612 of 625 Old 01-14-2018, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So the disassembly, reseating of LCD ribbon cables & reassembly all went well. Unfortunately, this didn't make any difference and the problem persists.

I will look into official repair options, but the unit is likely NFG. Still have second, spare bulb that came with the unit in original packaging...

UPDATE:

-- firmware update from v100 --> v112 also did squat.
-- I decided to take the plunge and ordered a refurb 5030 from Epson. Cheaper than any new units I looked at, get the 2 year warranty and I already still have the mount + new spare bulb.

Not happy about the situation, but best course of action I could come up with...
I've only now seen this.

I'm sorry my suggestion has put you through all that work and ended up not helping. It was my best guess, besides the possibility of it being a mainboard problem (which I would have no clue how to fix).

I suppose that you may still make a reasonable amount of cash selling the first one for repairs...

post #613 of 625 Old 01-15-2018, 06:39 AM

descalabro - no worries, it was definitiely worth a try and thanks for the feedback on what to do.

I emailed two of the Epson-certified repair centers about the issue and both of them said that in their opinion it would not be worth even shipping it to them for diagnosis since it's likely not cost effective to repair it.

The refurbed 5030 is up and running. I'm reusing the mount, rear cover, etc and still have the 6030's extra lamp still in packaging. I now at least have some spare parts for this unit and hope to get 2-3 years out of it as the 4k options get better and cheaper over that time.
post #614 of 625 Old 06-06-2018, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Last production date?

When was the 6030 discontinued? Anyone know. Thanks.
post #615 of 625 Old 10-21-2018, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My lamp finally stopped striking at 5029 hours and the picture still looked fantastic on a 150" screen (approx). First projector I've owned that I've never contemplated replacing the projector instead of just the lamp.
AlexanderDelarg likes this.
post #616 of 625 Old 11-01-2018, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
descalabro - no worries, it was definitiely worth a try and thanks for the feedback on what to do.

I emailed two of the Epson-certified repair centers about the issue and both of them said that in their opinion it would not be worth even shipping it to them for diagnosis since it's likely not cost effective to repair it.

The refurbed 5030 is up and running. I'm reusing the mount, rear cover, etc and still have the 6030's extra lamp still in packaging. I now at least have some spare parts for this unit and hope to get 2-3 years out of it as the 4k options get better and cheaper over that time.
Different problem, wondering if anybody might be able to offer some advice. About 4 yo 6030ub, has only 850 H on lamp (original) and was watching NFL on ATT uverse-noticed a "pulsing" of the whole picture-by pulsing, I mean that the whole screen each second seemed to go lighter, darker, lighter, and so on-maybe strobing is a better word-affected the entire screen. Swapped ATT box, same problem-tried different source (Blu-ray) still persisted. Ran HDMI directly from blu-ray to projector to eliminate the Yamaha AVR that it is going through, still there. Called Epson customer support (out of wty), no help there. While I was on hold, I checked my settings and noticed that Frame Interprelation was turned on, switched it off and the picture was no longer pulsing. turned it back on and pic was still good. After a short time it began doing it again (FI probably conincidental).Love the projector,
do not want to get rid of it and nowhere around here would I trust service. Any thoughts?
Thanks
post #617 of 625 Old 11-06-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
Different problem, wondering if anybody might be able to offer some advice. About 4 yo 6030ub, has only 850 H on lamp (original) and was watching NFL on ATT uverse-noticed a "pulsing" of the whole picture-by pulsing, I mean that the whole screen each second seemed to go lighter, darker, lighter, and so on-maybe strobing is a better word-affected the entire screen. Swapped ATT box, same problem-tried different source (Blu-ray) still persisted. Ran HDMI directly from blu-ray to projector to eliminate the Yamaha AVR that it is going through, still there. Called Epson customer support (out of wty), no help there. While I was on hold, I checked my settings and noticed that Frame Interprelation was turned on, switched it off and the picture was no longer pulsing. turned it back on and pic was still good. After a short time it began doing it again (FI probably conincidental).Love the projector,
do not want to get rid of it and nowhere around here would I trust service. Any thoughts?
Thanks
I believe that means the bulb is getting ready to be replaced. My 6030 is doing the same flickering but not as often and it is not very noticeable. My projector/bulb is 4 yrs old and I have just over 2,000 hours on it.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | Hulu | Roku Ultra | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #618 of 625 Old 05-02-2019, 03:32 PM
Fox

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarren921 View Post
I purchased an Epson 6030ub and really liked it; 32 hours later it produced a blue/teal line running vertically down the screen; it showed up on white backgrounds etc. I could also see it on the internal test patterns. Epson support was a joke. They basically replied back and said to try a different HDMI cable; had they read about the issue and the troubleshooting steps I had taken they would have seen that I had done that as my first step. This was my first Epson. All other projectors I have owned have been various Christie models. Did I just get a lemon or has anyone else had issues like this? If this is the kind of treatment Epson gives to owners I don't want any of their products. I will seek to get a good projector without issues.

Mine is doing this after 4.5 years of use...so out of warranty.
post #619 of 625 Old 05-03-2019, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwarren921 View Post
I purchased an Epson 6030ub and really liked it; 32 hours later it produced a blue/teal line running vertically down the screen; it showed up on white backgrounds etc. I could also see it on the internal test patterns. Epson support was a joke. They basically replied back and said to try a different HDMI cable; had they read about the issue and the troubleshooting steps I had taken they would have seen that I had done that as my first step. This was my first Epson. All other projectors I have owned have been various Christie models. Did I just get a lemon or has anyone else had issues like this? If this is the kind of treatment Epson gives to owners I don't want any of their products. I will seek to get a good projector without issues.

Mine is doing this after 4.5 years of use...so out of warranty. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/IMG]
I agree with the previous poster from the comments you posted about the issues you're observing I believe the lamp is no longer functioning at Optimum brightness even though it only has 850 hours on it. In layman's term think of the lamp as a light bulb yes using it will reduce its Effectiveness over the course of time but simply age itself will degrade its Effectiveness as well. 4.5 years is a long time to have a bulb and only have 850 hours on it. Since I believe you 60 30 was only available through dealers I would ask the dealer you bought it from if you could borrow a bulb just to see if that fixes the issue and if that fixes the issue then the dealer will probably let you just buy the bulb or you can give him his back and buy one yourself for about 175 to $275
post #620 of 625 Old 05-03-2019, 12:15 PM
Fox

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
I agree with the previous poster from the comments you posted about the issues you're observing I believe the lamp is no longer functioning at Optimum brightness even though it only has 850 hours on it. In layman's term think of the lamp as a light bulb yes using it will reduce its Effectiveness over the course of time but simply age itself will degrade its Effectiveness as well. 4.5 years is a long time to have a bulb and only have 850 hours on it. Since I believe you 60 30 was only available through dealers I would ask the dealer you bought it from if you could borrow a bulb just to see if that fixes the issue and if that fixes the issue then the dealer will probably let you just buy the bulb or you can give him his back and buy one yourself for about 175 to $275

I don't think you meant to quote me but rather the person above me. So to reply on that issue: If the screen's brightness is 'flickering' that's an indication you should start thinking about a new bulb, I've noticed you can stem this off a bit by switching the modes (ie I normally run in a lower light mode (Natural/THX i think) so I'd switch it to living room or some brighter mode for a week and the flickering would stop for a while (even after switching back to THX). But once you replace the bulb you should be good for about 3000 hrs or so.

My issue with the blue line is the main circuit board according to Epson service center. (FWIW i tried a new bulb first to fix that, it clearly didn't fix the issue). Since its out of warranty they want $1k to fix, which I think is too steep, so I'm basically looking to get rid of this unit if anyone wants to PM me an offer (would be good for salvage, the LCD is still good, just not the MCB, or 4:3 aspect ratio still works fine as my blue line in toward the left side (unlike the previous poster). or if it just doesn't bother you for some reason. I also have a bulb with about 9 hrs. on it if anyone wants to PM me an offer for that (I took it out after a couple days when it was obvious it didn't fix the blue line issue)

FWIW based on issues I've read in the thread:
I've seen the white dot issue, happened for a day or so once and I never saw it again.

I get the start up delay issue moderately maybe 20-30% of the time and significantly maybe 5% of the time.

The fan is too loud for my tastes in the higher light modes, so I've run this in the lower light mode most of its life. I also don't bother with dynamic iris for the same reason (too loud). (I'm much more of an audiophile than a videophile)

I was reasonably happy with the picture quality until the blue line started, I doubt I'll ever buy another epson after this service experience though, repair costs should never be too close to the cost of a replacement.
post #621 of 625 Old 08-01-2019, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Soo. my 6030 has been perfect.. then tonight it's just dead, no power or lights or anything.. i checked the power cord and it's got juice.. anyone heard of these just dying out of the blue like that? never had one that just shows no power before.. and... of course my butt is broke right now.. so great timing
post #622 of 625 Old 08-02-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12805 Post(s)
Liked: 10442
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpml View Post
Soo. my 6030 has been perfect.. then tonight it's just dead, no power or lights or anything.. i checked the power cord and it's got juice.. anyone heard of these just dying out of the blue like that? never had one that just shows no power before.. and... of course my butt is broke right now.. so great timing
Sounds like power supply died. Does not happen often, but sounds like that is what happened to yours.
post #623 of 625 Old 08-02-2019, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Sounds like power supply died. Does not happen often, but sounds like that is what happened to yours.

Actually.. i meant to come back and delete my post.. so, epson had no power, grabbed my meter, 119v at the power cable. Hmm ok.. so i pull it down and grab my old mitsubishi (they never seem to die.. i wish they still make pj's) and same thing.. grab my meter again and 119v so wtf.. I grab an extension cord and plug into a different outlet and power! Seems the outlet i was plugging into flaked out and it would show voltage but would stop as soon as even a tiny load was put on it. Have never seen that before..

Thank you for the reply btw
post #624 of 625 Old 08-02-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12805 Post(s)
Liked: 10442
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpml View Post
Actually.. i meant to come back and delete my post.. so, epson had no power, grabbed my meter, 119v at the power cable. Hmm ok.. so i pull it down and grab my old mitsubishi (they never seem to die.. i wish they still make pj's) and same thing.. grab my meter again and 119v so wtf.. I grab an extension cord and plug into a different outlet and power! Seems the outlet i was plugging into flaked out and it would show voltage but would stop as soon as even a tiny load was put on it. Have never seen that before..

Thank you for the reply btw
post #625 of 625 Old 08-30-2019, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
I don't think you meant to quote me but rather the person above me. So to reply on that issue: If the screen's brightness is 'flickering' that's an indication you should start thinking about a new bulb, I've noticed you can stem this off a bit by switching the modes (ie I normally run in a lower light mode (Natural/THX i think) so I'd switch it to living room or some brighter mode for a week and the flickering would stop for a while (even after switching back to THX). But once you replace the bulb you should be good for about 3000 hrs or so.

My issue with the blue line is the main circuit board according to Epson service center. (FWIW i tried a new bulb first to fix that, it clearly didn't fix the issue). Since its out of warranty they want $1k to fix, which I think is too steep, so I'm basically looking to get rid of this unit if anyone wants to PM me an offer (would be good for salvage, the LCD is still good, just not the MCB, or 4:3 aspect ratio still works fine as my blue line in toward the left side (unlike the previous poster). or if it just doesn't bother you for some reason. I also have a bulb with about 9 hrs. on it if anyone wants to PM me an offer for that (I took it out after a couple days when it was obvious it didn't fix the blue line issue)

FWIW based on issues I've read in the thread:
I've seen the white dot issue, happened for a day or so once and I never saw it again.

I get the start up delay issue moderately maybe 20-30% of the time and significantly maybe 5% of the time.

The fan is too loud for my tastes in the higher light modes, so I've run this in the lower light mode most of its life. I also don't bother with dynamic iris for the same reason (too loud). (I'm much more of an audiophile than a videophile)

I was reasonably happy with the picture quality until the blue line started, I doubt I'll ever buy another epson after this service experience though, repair costs should never be too close to the cost of a replacement.

I asking about epson 6030ub , I have 120 inch Elite ALR screen 5d , 2.35:1 , i don't know if this projector support this screen without Anamorphic external lens , if yes , how can I make it ?
Please i need a help >>>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6020ub 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page