Owners thread Sony Hw55ES - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 158Likes

post #61 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post

hello there,

could you please make a picture through the glasses with the bridge scene from monsters vs aliens..

Because here the bridge scene continu ghosts on the hw55..

By the way i only use good full 3d disks..

john which exactly scene do you want to take a photo? because the scene where they fight in the bridge is 10 mins long or so
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by george4791 View Post

john which exactly scene do you want to take a photo? because the scene where they fight in the bridge is 10 mins long or so

Hold on.... let me look here..
post #63 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Hello there

At 42.30 were that monster is standing in de sea(please the picture true your left glasses.

And 43.47 Monster at the bridge..

And At 42.56 monster at the bridge..

There is alot more ghosting in those ten minutes but this is a good reference..

By the way how long do you warm up your projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5225 Post(s)
Liked: 5465
The MvA bridge scene is one of the toughest 3D scenes, I'm not surprised you're seeing some x-talk. Didn't it improve when lowering the glasses brightness 1 click?

I don't think you can expect to remove all signs of x-talk, I couldn't on the HW50 but still thought it was very good for a non-DLP.
post #65 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The MvA bridge scene is one of the toughest 3D scenes, I'm not surprised you're seeing some x-talk. Didn't it improve when lowering the glasses brightness 1 click?

I don't think you can expect to remove all signs of x-talk, I couldn't on the HW50 but still thought it was very good for a non-DLP.

Yes, and hopefully the HW55 will be even better when viewed through the optional RF glasses in regards to 3D. tongue.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #66 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Hello zombie,

Could the Optoma 'ZF2100' glasses + rf emitter improve it a bit?

If i set my Panasonic 3d bluyrayplayer settings to manual and set de distance in the 3d menu to +1 then the xtalk is almost gone..

I like to know how deep the 3d settings were meant in that movie..
post #67 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post

Yes, and hopefully the HW55 will be even better when viewed through the optional RF glasses in regards to 3D. tongue.gif

I view them through that optional rf glasses but no difference..

Maybe the optoma with the rf emitter will make a difference??
post #68 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 11:46 AM

Liked: 10
My HW55es arrived yesterday afternoon. For context to my comments:

1. I'm a projector newb. I had an Epson 3020 for a few weeks on trial prior to settling on the HW55. I was not able to audition the Sony prior to purchase.
2. My screen is 126" wide 16:9, 1.1 gain.
3. My room is 98% light controlled but still has white walls.
4. Current throw is about 16 ft.
5. I have not mounted it yet. It's currently on a 4ft high stand.

My comments:

1. Black level is very good. Very pleased with that. Would love more, but seems very good for the price.
2. Brightness is more than adequate. I'm currently on low lamp setting and it looks great to me.
3. Colors - jury is out. I'm a perfectionist. It may be an effect due to white walls/ceiling, but there is often a washed out quality to scenes. Sometimes the image pops and blows me away. Other times (wide angle, outdoor scenes, fairly busy settings in particular) seem to be washed out and lack contrast.
5. Not a fan of Reality Creation/Noise Reduction. Without it, the image is too soft. With it, I am often aware of what I would describe as "artificial sharpening". The image often looks to me like early LCD's looked and why I don't really like LCD TV's to this day.

So I'm on the fence with this. I know that this is at least in part due to very high expectations after the 3020. In the same manner, I had very low expectations for the 3020 and was surprised at how good it was. I actually would have kept it but for the black level. It was a very bright projector. I don't recall having the reactions to color and image quality that I am having with the Sony. But again, expectations are huge here.

My teenage kids see the things I see but think the projector is fantastic. smile.gif
post #69 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2593
Yeah, I noticed the same thing about the HW50ES when demo'ing it. We had a Darbee Darblet on hand and used that to sharpen the image instead. It does a great subtle job that should fix your problem with the HW55ES. For $300 it's probably the easiest solution to your problem if you want to keep the Sony.
post #70 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Yeah, I noticed the same thing about the HW50ES when demo'ing it. We had a Darbee Darblet on hand and used that to sharpen the image instead. It does a great subtle job that should fix your problem with the HW55ES. For $300 it's probably the easiest solution to your problem if you want to keep the Sony.

Yep, and I just signed up for this new Signature Edition Darblet on indiegogo and just got this email response. biggrin.gif

"We are happy to announce that we have made an upgrade to our Perks.

If you selected the Signature Edition Darblet, you will receive an upgrade. Now you will receive a Signature Edition of the new DVP5100CIE.

DVP5100CIE (Custom Installer Edition)

Features:
*phaseHD - 30+meters of perfect HDMI
*USB - for reprogramming in the field
*Rack mountable, 19" x 1U, metal case
*Connectors on the back
Plus an extended 2 year warranty ($100 value).
Add $20 for US and $40 for International shipping.
Estimated delivery: May 2014

Thank you for supporting our campaign and tell a friend!

Team DarbeeVision"

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #71 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Did you notice the May delivery? That's six months from now. You might want to buy the cheap Darblet and sell it in May.
post #72 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Did you notice the May delivery? That's six months from now. You might want to buy the cheap Darblet and sell it in May.

Naaa, I'm Ok with that date. Good things come to those who are patient. I'll have the new Oppo BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) and Reality Creation on the Sony HW55ES to get me by until that time. I just want the separate Darbee to interface with my Sat box and HTPC, but I can wait a bit for that. smile.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #73 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmic View Post

My HW55es arrived yesterday afternoon. For context to my comments:

1. I'm a projector newb. I had an Epson 3020 for a few weeks on trial prior to settling on the HW55. I was not able to audition the Sony prior to purchase.
2. My screen is 126" wide 16:9, 1.1 gain.
3. My room is 98% light controlled but still has white walls.
4. Current throw is about 16 ft.
5. I have not mounted it yet. It's currently on a 4ft high stand.

My comments:

1. Black level is very good. Very pleased with that. Would love more, but seems very good for the price.
2. Brightness is more than adequate. I'm currently on low lamp setting and it looks great to me.
3. Colors - jury is out. I'm a perfectionist. It may be an effect due to white walls/ceiling, but there is often a washed out quality to scenes. Sometimes the image pops and blows me away. Other times (wide angle, outdoor scenes, fairly busy settings in particular) seem to be washed out and lack contrast.
5. Not a fan of Reality Creation/Noise Reduction. Without it, the image is too soft. With it, I am often aware of what I would describe as "artificial sharpening". The image often looks to me like early LCD's looked and why I don't really like LCD TV's to this day.

So I'm on the fence with this. I know that this is at least in part due to very high expectations after the 3020. In the same manner, I had very low expectations for the 3020 and was surprised at how good it was. I actually would have kept it but for the black level. It was a very bright projector. I don't recall having the reactions to color and image quality that I am having with the Sony. But again, expectations are huge here.

My teenage kids see the things I see but think the projector is fantastic. smile.gif

What are your thoughts on number 3 in my list? How much will this improve once the walls and ceiling are darkened? Are there any configurations/settings that would improve this?
post #74 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What are your thoughts on number 3 in my list? How much will this improve once the walls and ceiling are darkened? Are there any configurations/settings that would improve this?

From my experience and from reading countless articles, this will make quite a difference. You don't have to totally black out the room, but the first 3' on the top and sides should be a dark non-glossy color. It doesn't necessarily need to be black either, but that's the best color to use. Depends on the WAF (wife acceptance factor) if that's a factor in your life. If you want the best, you need to paste black velvet to your walls, ceiling, and floor. eek.gif

Just buy some rolls of black velvet and pin strips of it up on your walls and ceiling to give you an idea of what benefits you'll gain from painting the walls. Or install a full-room curtain system that blacks out the room only when needed. smile.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #75 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
And some of this depends on how close to your screen ends are the walls. Ten feet of black would be a lot better than 3 FT Be sure to make the ceiling black too.
post #76 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

And some of this depends on how close to your screen ends are the walls. Ten feet of black would be a lot better than 3 FT Be sure to make the ceiling black too.

Once you go black, you never go back! DaDaDum!!! tongue.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #77 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 04:16 PM

Thanks guys. Is any of the behavior I'm seeing characteristic of LCOS vs. LCD? I don't remember having these concerns with the 3020. Makes me wonder about the 6030.
post #78 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks guys. Is any of the behavior I'm seeing characteristic of LCOS vs. LCD? I don't remember having these concerns with the 3020. Makes me wonder about the 6030.

I would recommend trying the cheap black velvet option first to see if that helps. If it doesn't, then I would try to get a new Sony...maybe yours is defective. If that didn't help, I would try the Epson. Just gotta troubleshoot until you narrow down the issue. I'm betting those all white walls aren't helping. You could also purchase an ambient light rejecting screen like the ones from Screen Innovations or DNP. Their expensive, but work wonders if you don't want to build a bat cave.

Just because you turn the lights off and don't have any windows doesn't mean it's a bat cave. The definition of 'bat cave' on here is a room with no windows, lights only for when the movie is off, and all black velvet or matte black paint on everything so no light is reflecting around the room. You must have matte black furniture and you have to wear all black clothing. That's a bat cave. wink.gif

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #79 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher View Post

I would recommend trying the cheap black velvet option first to see if that helps. If it doesn't, then I would try to get a new Sony...maybe yours is defective. If that didn't help, I would try the Epson. Just gotta troubleshoot until you narrow down the issue. I'm betting those all white walls aren't helping. You could also purchase an ambient light rejecting screen like the ones from Screen Innovations or DNP. Their expensive, but work wonders if you don't want to build a bat cave.

Just because you turn the lights off and don't have any windows doesn't mean it's a bat cave. The definition of 'bat cave' on here is a room with no windows, lights only for when the movie is off, and all black velvet or matte black paint on everything so no light is reflecting around the room. You must have matte black furniture and you have to wear all black clothing. That's a bat cave. wink.gif

Will do. Well, at least some of it. smile.gif And thanks again.
post #80 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postgoodinfoit View Post

AVS was able to get an external IR transmitter to me for free which resolved the syncing issues.
qhWv

Awesome of AVS. Was this an issue with the HW55?
post #81 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Will do. Well, at least some of it. smile.gif And thanks again.

No prob man. That last tidbit about the bat cave sounds silly, but is the optimal viewing environment for front projection. I wish I could afford the room in my home to do a rear projection setup. That would be awesome! The room that the projector is in still needs to be blacked out. But the screen side where you sit can have whatever color walls and furniture you want. That just requires a super bright (5000+ lumens) PJ (which is really expensive) and a mount and mirror system (which is really expensive) to get a nice bright image.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

Mr. Hatcher's hybrid-HT
post #82 of 2856 Old 11-19-2013, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I got no problems syncing in 3d. Sometimes little ghosting is vissible. But this is very rare. I tested jurrassic park 3d. I think not realy the best 3d out there. Some people look like paper projected on a screen.

The wireless unit is not availible for 4 weeks. frown.gif
post #83 of 2856 Old 11-20-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by george4791 View Post

good day from greece,

aaronh i know how the feeling is, i was searching the internet daily for the past couple weeks to find any relevant info for the 55es
while i was waiting for the delivery,
finaly mine came on friday and on saturday they came home to install it,

my previous pj was a sony vpl hw80 from which i was very happy with the performance and the image quality
(worth arnd 5k euros at that time i.e 3-4 years ago),

we started to test few 1080p mkv files and... wow i was very impressed with what i saw,

the image quality and the colours were amazing, i have never seen such details in the image, the blacks? wow again... stunning

the brightness? oh boy, you can easily watch something with all the lights on...

hereunder is a photo with an s4 from a scene from wolverine mkv 1080p (my screen is 120'')
and the truth is that when you watch it live it looks even better

the pg was not fully calibrated, the technicial made some changes and he said that we will arrange for a proper
calibration in due course,

the only thing to be carefull is to use the reality creation in low levels i.e 5-10 otherwise you will have a lot of noise in the image,

and then it was time to test the 3d... i have 95 mkv 3d files most of them sbs,

for start we tried avatar and omg, omg and again omg i couldn't believe what i was seeing, the performance was amazing, no ghosting at all and at last
i was watching a bright 3d with perfect colors and quality, abt a month ago i tested thoroughly the jvc x35 and the epson 9100 and the 3d on the sony
is by far better,

and then the technicial told me a tip, on the film mode there is a mode called "game" and there the brightness is even higher... so for the 3d projections
we put it there and did on this mode the calibration.... and we put a 3d movie and believe me it was like watching a 2d movie in the terms of brightness,
i was so happy and satisfied and not only me but also my wife, the kids everyone,
we sit and watch yesterday the despicable me 2 in 3d and it was splendid (at the end of the movie dont turn it off, there is more after the credits and
there they have used some great pop up effects), some friends watch it as well and they say no way this is way better comparing to a cinema...

i watched also few parts from other movies, the quality and motion is still great (of course in some movies you will notice minimal ghosting for few times for few seconds but
i guess this has to do with the movie itself)

that's my ipressions so far and hope to all you guys to get it as soon as possible so to realize yourselves what a lovely machine we own...

best regards/george

Could you give me the exact calibrated settings for 3d please

Best regards
post #84 of 2856 Old 11-20-2013, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Good info here. Just ordered mine last night and got a heck of a deal on it. Can't wait to try it out and see how bright this is. I'm coming from a Panasonic pt ae2000 which all lights have to be off and the picture is still dim. Got 1 window in the room and a light paint color so I'm looking forward to seeing how much brighter this is for me. I also have a high contrast perforated gray screen and I wonder if that should be upgraded as well.
Gotta love early Xmas gifts!
post #85 of 2856 Old 11-20-2013, 01:04 PM

post #86 of 2856 Old 11-20-2013, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I tested a few 3d Imax movies.

Starting from my popcorn a-300 SBS movies. They looked good, ghosting is still visible sometimes, also you can notice a flicker in bright scenes. 3d focus (my own eyes) is very good.

I recommend to set the motion enhancher on high in 3d.

I will test a few full 3d movies through my pc in these days.

The glasses delivered with the projector aren`t that comfortable, After 1 hour you are happy if you have a pee break.

2d is stunning, great colors, very smooth and sharp image.
post #87 of 2856 Old 11-20-2013, 09:52 PM

Day 3. Much happier. Increased throw to 20ft. Dialed RC to minimum (want to try the Darby though). No color adjustment yet (except D65 color temp). Am impressed with how the image holds up even at a 14 ft width with lamp on low. Am thinking of getting a 12 ft wide 2:35. Looking forward to even better results once room is better treated. Will most likely stick with the Sony.
post #88 of 2856 Old 11-21-2013, 08:56 AM

Liked: 20
i have the projector and the screen now the mount will arrive in Saturday ( i hope )
what should do first mount the projector or the screen

if the projector that should be mounted first how i know the best throw distance for my setup?

Sony HW55ES - Elite Screen 150" - Marantz SR6012 - Emotiva XPA-5
RF-7 II Floorstanding x R-14SA Atmos
RC-64 II Center Channel
RS-62 II Surround
SW-115 Subwoofer
post #89 of 2856 Old 11-21-2013, 09:39 AM

Liked: 31
Most people suggest mounting the projector first. But, the flexibility of the Sony makes it pretty easy to get the image on your screen - just make sure the lens is parallel to the screen - that is the primary area where precision is required. Somewhere along the centerline of the screen gives you maximum side-side offset adjustment.

The manual will give you the throw range for a given size. I think the throw is 1.2-1.9. So for example, a 100" diagonal would be possible from 120" at minimum throw to 190" at maximum throw.

Mount in the middle of the range for your screen of you can and it is easy to get the correct image size. That way, you can mount your screen now, and then be watching the projector more quickly once the mount arrives!

post #90 of 2856 Old 11-21-2013, 02:45 PM

Question for you guys. I understand that the general guideline for ftL for an acceptable image is 12. I am getting what I feel are acceptable results at a 20' throw to a 12' - 13' image on a 1.1 gain screen. According to Projector Central's calculator, I'm only getting less than 8 ftL. I would have expected this to be too dark. So what do you think's going on? Is the calculator wrong, is the standard wrong, or am I just a poor judge of picture quality? smile.gif

Edit: projector is set to "Cinema 2" and low lamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page