Owners thread Sony Hw55ES - Page 92 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 158Likes

post #2731 of 2857 Old 01-16-2017, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post
I dumped this projector after changing the bulb because it not return to the previous brightness which I paid for.

Do you watch more than four hours a day? I do regularly, and I have since heard that that is a problem for projectors which use plastic lenses, such as the Sony. I went have to JVC (x550) and couldn't be happier!

Is this a confirmed problem with the Sony projectors? Does this only happen with regular 4-hours of use per day?

I am still on the original bulb. I hope I don't see a diminished brightness level when it comes to replacement. On average, I only watch a few hours per week.....if.

I would have gone with JVC, but their projectors don't do 3D as well as the Sony projectors do, and that was the most important feature for me.
It was an installer who informed me about the plastic lenses. He told me it's any projector with a plastic lens and decent brightness. It's the only explanation I can find, because after replacing the bulb not only was brightness affected, contrast/black levels were very diminished(blacks got pretty grey), and the bright corners seemed more pronounced. Definitely not the picture I paid for originally.

I went with Sony because of 3D as well(at the time it looked better than JVC options). JVC made strides there though, the X550 does 3D even better as it's brighter than the Sony ever was and ghosts less.

The only disadvantage JVC has to Sony is slower panels, motion still isn't great. Small price to pay for the improvements.

Also the JVC does pseudo 4K, with HDR compatibility. I tell you, Pacific Rim was my 3D demo material, now the UHD version is. All personal preference, but I like 4K over 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 2857 Old 01-16-2017, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 64
That might have been avoided had Sony included a sleep timer. Funnily enough JVC has an off timer which I use, it's rarely on that long anyway.

Last edited by plissken99; 01-16-2017 at 09:11 AM.
post #2733 of 2857 Old 01-16-2017, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNYC View Post
Questions for the Gamma experts here:

1. Out of the box, for the HW55ES in REF mode, is Gamma Correction = Off the same as the Gamma 2.2 setting? If not, is there a Gamma setting that is the same as Gamma Correction = Off?

2. What are the Gamma settings which are not gamma values, but Gamma 8, Gamma 9, Gamma 10 etc? What do they mean?

3. If I am using HW55ES with a 1.0 gain screen, in a room with white ceiling and white walls, should I be using a Gamma setting < 2.2 ?

thanks

--jay
I want to say when I was testing off was equal to 2.2. You wont know which setting to use unless you have a way of getting your gamma reading. I would stick with 2.2 or 2.4 though, most reviews on a new model tended to use those settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2734 of 2857 Old 01-31-2017, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBfJohn View Post
Hi all. I've recently bought a second hand HW55es and I've hit a snag with it. Hopefully someone else might have experienced it too.
After a random amount of time the projector will just turn itself off. It could be 30 minutes, it could be 6 hours. There's no warning lights, and the projector will immediately switch back on like nothing has happened.
One symptom that might narrow it down is that it does no cool down at all. It just shuts off.
I thought perhaps it was the bulb, so I've replaced that, but it still does it.
I then thought maybe it was dirty inside, so I took it apart to clean it, but it's like new (It was sold to me with 38 hours of use).
All the airways are perfectly clean, as are the fan blades. The bulb that it came with was a genuine Sony lamp/carrier.
I then thought it was lack of cooling, so I turned the fan profile up to high, however even with it sounding like a jet on takeoff it still shut down after 30 minutes.
I don't know what else to try. Has anyone else experienced this? Or perhaps there's something I've missed to help diagnose it?

Cheers in advance

John
I saw this post on another website. MrBfJohn said it has been fixed - he was having a weird connection with the HDMI cable or something like that, but isn't having the problem now...

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
post #2735 of 2857 Old 01-31-2017, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Are power board issues common with HW55ES?

I have had my HW55ES projector for a little over a year, since 11/2015. I'm a little concerned with the quality of my unit.

One thing is - the fan has always sounded a little grumbly, not very smooth, and not as quiet as the showroom unit. Always have wondered if my fan wasn't the best quality.

Second thing is - I have tried three bulbs - all OEM bulbs, and none of them have been able to go past 30 hrs or so without developing flicker issues. So I have had to run them on high power.

Now, on one of the bulbs I'm at 660 hours, and I'm getting bulb flicker at high power as well, intermittent, sometimes bad, sometimes not so bad. It's actually worst when on the blue screen with no inputs active. Then it is really very noticeable.

I'm going to get out one of the other bulbs and see how long it lasts... but if it starts going at 500-600 hours, I'll be demanding warranty service.

I suspect the power board or power regulation is not very good on this unit, and it's quite disappointing.

Does anyone know if this (power regulation, flickering bulbs) is a common issue with these HW55ES units?

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
post #2736 of 2857 Old 01-31-2017, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

As a follow-up question...

I'm 1.2 years into my 3 year warranty. What is the best way to engage Sony for warranty service? Should I use my local A/V dealer I bought the projector from for leverage? Talk to Sony customer support directly?

Have people generally had good experiences with Sony customer service?

post #2737 of 2857 Old 02-01-2017, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post

I'm 1.2 years into my 3 year warranty. What is the best way to engage Sony for warranty service? Should I use my local A/V dealer I bought the projector from for leverage? Talk to Sony customer support directly?

In my experience, I would contact Sony directly. I do know in talking to tech support that there is a small handful that handle ES support calls so it is hit or miss on the length of time you could be on hold. However once you are able to get through, they will take care of you.
danielrg likes this.
post #2738 of 2857 Old 02-01-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Changer View Post
In my experience, I would contact Sony directly. I do know in talking to tech support that there is a small handful that handle ES support calls so it is hit or miss on the length of time you could be on hold. However once you are able to get through, they will take care of you.
I've had to call Sony twice for support, both experiences were quite good. I would not be concerned if I had to call them again.
danielrg likes this.

Looky here!
post #2739 of 2857 Old 02-02-2017, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
I've had to call Sony twice for support, both experiences were quite good. I would not be concerned if I had to call them again.
I had the same experience - very positive.
post #2740 of 2857 Old 02-10-2017, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has the 55es been prone to the contrast loss/panel degradation issue at all, or has it not been as prevalant on this model? I noticed that Cine4home did a long term test on a 55 and their particular models seemed good after no, low, and 1400 hours?
post #2741 of 2857 Old 02-13-2017, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dit0r View Post
Has the 55es been prone to the contrast loss/panel degradation issue at all, or has it not been as prevalant on this model? I noticed that Cine4home did a long term test on a 55 and their particular models seemed good after no, low, and 1400 hours?
Yes it has gamma and contrast issues
mmdd likes this.
post #2742 of 2857 Old 02-14-2017, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Yes it has gamma and contrast issues
Thanks, do you have a source for the tests/reports for this, please, as I've been unable to find any?
post #2743 of 2857 Old 02-14-2017, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I would also like a source, please. Thank You
post #2744 of 2857 Old 02-14-2017, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Its been confirmed multiple times in the degredation thread and I have the issue personally. Not much contrast loss (think it was around 4600:1), but I have to use 2.6 gamma line to get to 2.2 gamma when calibrating. I plan on rechecking mine later this year and RMAing it if it has dropped anymore.
post #2745 of 2857 Old 02-24-2017, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9707 View Post
Hi Sande-
I have not had time to test anything yet.
Just for the record and to help anyone that is following this;
-The RPMA models work with the SLM020(permanent posts).
-The older RPA mounts work with the SLB020(adjustable posts that unscrew). You can get the entire kit for $70 or less via seller on EBAY( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-Profes...OPx&rmvSB=true )

As soon as I am able I will try the SLB020 with the RPMA.

On another note I did receive my mount from Dave EBAY seller LPAVLLC. The mount is in perfect condition. They are an honest dealer and I would encourage anyone to give them a shot at earning your business.

I would like to hopefully get this done and put it behind me so within the next 2-3 weeks I should have a definite answer.
It only took me 6 months but for anyone thats reading this the SLB020 does mount into the new RPMA Mounts.

I will say now that I've put over 500 hours on this projector and I don't have any buyers remorse and am glad I went with this over the Epson.

I should probably get my brother to come over and calibrate it since his company has high end calibration equipment.

Anyway lets not let this thread die a slow death. For what its worth here's Sony's number 877-619-7669 for warranty support. I had to reach out to them once and they seemed to get more helpful when they heard the purchase was from Starpower vs. big box store. Nice to know that Sony has a separate controlled customer service for high end video items like our projectors. And American too, I think they are in FL if I remember correctly.
Scarriere likes this.

I drive a Dodge Stratus.

post #2746 of 2857 Old 02-24-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Changer View Post
Quote:

My experience was very good when speaking with an ES rep as stated above. Problem was at the time they were getting a lot of calls routed to them that they shouldnt have been which was why they can have 30-45 minute wait times. Their "coworkers" in India have a bad habit of dumping calls onto them....

SO Daniel what issue were you having with your 55 and how did Sony handle your issue? Good to know as most of us still have warranty time and good to know how we'll be treated if a similar issue presents itself.

I drive a Dodge Stratus.

post #2747 of 2857 Old 02-25-2017, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My experience was very good when speaking with an ES rep as stated above. Problem was at the time they were getting a lot of calls routed to them that they shouldnt have been which was why they can have 30-45 minute wait times. Their "coworkers" in India have a bad habit of dumping calls onto them....

SO Daniel what issue were you having with your 55 and how did Sony handle your issue? Good to know as most of us still have warranty time and good to know how we'll be treated if a similar issue presents itself.
My issue is that, over three bulbs, none of them will work in ECO mode. After <40 hrs, they all had flicker issues in ECO mode
So I just went back to the first and stuck the other two in boxes after trying them for ECO mode.

I'd been using the first one for about 550 hours and it started having flicker issues in high power mode. Then they went away, and came back 100 hrs later, then sort of went away after I toggled power modes a bit low high low high. Now at 750 hrs, it seems okay still. I have a feeling though that some of the HW55 units have crummy power regulation. All three bulbs couldn't work in ECO mode? All of them OEM. Now issues with original bulb starting at 550 hrs?

I haven't talked to Sony. So busy with work and stuff, and toggling power modes seems to fix for a while that I haven't gotten to it. I have had it for 15 months, so still have 1.75 years left on warranty. So I might wait and just put in another bulb. if THAT bulb starts being crummy at 500 - 700 hrs, then I'll be pretty sure it's the projector and send it back for warranty service. But I want to do it in the summer when I don't watch TV as much :-)

post #2748 of 2857 Old 02-26-2017, 02:32 AM

Quote:
My issue is that, over three bulbs, none of them will work in ECO mode. After <40 hrs, they all had flicker issues in ECO mode
So I just went back to the first and stuck the other two in boxes after trying them for ECO mode.

I'd been using the first one for about 550 hours and it started having flicker issues in high power mode. Then they went away, and came back 100 hrs later, then sort of went away after I toggled power modes a bit low high low high. Now at 750 hrs, it seems okay still. I have a feeling though that some of the HW55 units have crummy power regulation. All three bulbs couldn't work in ECO mode? All of them OEM. Now issues with original bulb starting at 550 hrs?

I haven't talked to Sony. So busy with work and stuff, and toggling power modes seems to fix for a while that I haven't gotten to it. I have had it for 15 months, so still have 1.75 years left on warranty. So I might wait and just put in another bulb. if THAT bulb starts being crummy at 500 - 700 hrs, then I'll be pretty sure it's the projector and send it back for warranty service. But I want to do it in the summer when I don't watch TV as much :-)
I hear you on that. I swear thats just a problem with projectors in general when it comes to the ECO mode. When mine got to around 750 hours it started to do that. I put it to high and changed the iris modes and now its been good. Honestly I dont even know if I switched back to ECO mode. It definitely sucks when it happens and am not sure if its a projector part or the bulb itself. Would be nice if a lazer just became the norm so we wouldnt have to deal with replacements and flicker issues.

I drive a Dodge Stratus.

post #2749 of 2857 Old 02-27-2017, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I have the same issue with mine that others have reported in the past. I got about 1500hrs on my first bulb before it the flickering started happening frequently and pretty much 5mins after I fired it up. Leading up to that it would usually only happen after I had it on an running for quite a few hours. I contacted ES Sony support but it was a fight to get them to send me a replacement bulb as I figured the bulb was bad. They finally agreed after 2 weeks and many calls.

Got the new bulb in and its been ok but the flickering has come back now that I have a couple hundred hours on it. Luckily its only after i've had it on for quite a few hours and then i noticed if i flip from low to high and then switch it back a few seconds later it fixes it for another hours or two. Its weird and definitely has something to do with the board or the contacts. Some people say it has to do with the contacts and how they wear over time. I gave up trying to get Sony to agree that its a defect and actually fix the problem. Not sure if the 65ES users have reported the same things yet.
danielrg likes this.
post #2750 of 2857 Old 03-01-2017, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 25
2 years into hw55es

Hi,

I am two years into my hw55es and I feel that the contrast is not the same as it used to be. I don't have any calibration equipment and my room is completely dark. So from the begining I have used "Reference" or "Cinema 1" or "Cinema 2" Preset.

Is this drop in contrast due to ageing lamp and should i replace it. If yes, I am not in USA so ebay seems to be my best bet for getting this lamp, does the following lamp will be appropriate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Pro...AAAOSwBahVK3u6
post #2751 of 2857 Old 03-01-2017, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussain View Post
Hi,

I am two years into my hw55es and I feel that the contrast is not the same as it used to be. I don't have any calibration equipment and my room is completely dark. So from the begining I have used "Reference" or "Cinema 1" or "Cinema 2" Preset.

Is this drop in contrast due to ageing lamp and should i replace it. If yes, I am not in USA so ebay seems to be my best bet for getting this lamp, does the following lamp will be appropriate.

Sadly it's quite likely that the drop in contrast you are seeing is due to panel degradation. Take a look at this thread for more information: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...4k-panels.html

Are you still within warranty? I would contact Sony.
post #2752 of 2857 Old 03-02-2017, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I hear you on that. I swear thats just a problem with projectors in general when it comes to the ECO mode. When mine got to around 750 hours it started to do that. I put it to high and changed the iris modes and now its been good. Honestly I dont even know if I switched back to ECO mode. It definitely sucks when it happens and am not sure if its a projector part or the bulb itself. Would be nice if a lazer just became the norm so we wouldnt have to deal with replacements and flicker issues.
Indeed. You seem to have had a somewhat better experience. It seems like the HW55 has two groups - those whose projectors never could support ECO mode after the first few hours, and those that could support ECO mode for at least 500+ hours. I'd be amazing if anyone has ever gotten over 1000 hours on ECO mode without flicker. Maybe that would be a third group.

I'm going to make the bulbs I have last as long as I can. Then I might just splurge and go Laser. You only live once...

post #2753 of 2857 Old 03-04-2017, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thankyou....Can somebody also tell me how would I know if my bulb is due a replacement?

Thanks
post #2754 of 2857 Old 03-04-2017, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thankyou....Can somebody also tell me how would I know if my bulb is due a replacement?

Thanks
Well, if it doesn't work right, like flickers a lot, is super dim - that can be a sign. Your projector should also have a counter of hours on the bulb which you can get to in your projector's menu system. If you run the bulb on high mode, you should replace it after 2000 hours, on ECO mode, after 5000 hours. Although in my opinion, you'll never get to 5000 hours in ECO mode (see my earlier posts) without running into issues.

post #2755 of 2857 Old 03-05-2017, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 918
Quote:
Hi,

Don't buy a knock off lamp from china! Ebay isn't the go to place for projector lamps either.

I get mine from

www.purelandsupply.com

For the 55ES specifically...

http://www.purelandsupply.com/sony-p...pl-hw55es.html

AVS also sells replacement bulbs and they are a good source.

=Brian
robnix and Scarriere like this.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 03-05-2017 at 05:06 AM.
post #2756 of 2857 Old 03-06-2017, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
HW55es flipped image for ceiling mount glitch

Has anybody had an issue with running their HW55es ceiling mounted? I have no problems until I flip the HV setting for ceiling mounting. with the image flipped H&V, the blue channel is sporadically reverting back to unflipped mode, leaving an inverted blue ghost across the image, and then flipping back to what it should be. As soon as I turn vertical flip off, everything is fine. The menu is affected as well, not only the HDMI signal, so it doesn't seem to be a connection issue. It doesn't always happen, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious pattern to when it does occur. Has anyone experienced this glitch? My hours are low, but the factory warranty is out.
post #2757 of 2857 Old 03-09-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Indeed. You seem to have had a somewhat better experience. It seems like the HW55 has two groups - those whose projectors never could support ECO mode after the first few hours, and those that could support ECO mode for at least 500+ hours. I'd be amazing if anyone has ever gotten over 1000 hours on ECO mode without flicker. Maybe that would be a third group.

I'm going to make the bulbs I have last as long as I can. Then I might just splurge and go Laser. You only live once...
I'm glad I finally do, I swear that no matter what I buy I always get the defective one. Course the wifes theory is that its due to me being very picky. Guess there's some truth in that
I double checked and it looks like after I ran my projector on high for a little while maybe a night or two I put it back to ECO and its been fine ever since.
For what its worth when it happened I had a movie on pause for 30-60 minutes. Not sure if that triggered anything or it was just bad timing.

I drive a Dodge Stratus.

post #2758 of 2857 Old 03-10-2017, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dear Fellow owners

I have been pulling my hair lately, all because I thought buying an Apple TV 4 32gb would be a good idea.

The issue I am having is that the HW55ES is not showing the picture when connected through HDMI to the ATV4. I have tried all resolutions and nothing helps. The funny thing is when I removed power from the Apple tv and plugged it back in I got a clear display of the apple logo for a few seconds.

Is this a common issue I have not been able to find it online?

Apple and sony support offers no assistances and blames each other.

Also is there a solution?

Thank you!
post #2759 of 2857 Old 03-10-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oofoo View Post
Dear Fellow owners

I have been pulling my hair lately, all because I thought buying an Apple TV 4 32gb would be a good idea.

The issue I am having is that the HW55ES is not showing the picture when connected through HDMI to the ATV4. I have tried all resolutions and nothing helps. The funny thing is when I removed power from the Apple tv and plugged it back in I got a clear display of the apple logo for a few seconds.

Is this a common issue I have not been able to find it online?

Apple and sony support offers no assistances and blames each other.

Also is there a solution?

Thank you!
In the spirit of diagnosing have you tried using any other component with the same HDMI cable the apple tv was using?

I drive a Dodge Stratus.

post #2760 of 2857 Old 03-12-2017, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I might be looking to purchase an hw55es second hand, should i avoid this model? It seems to tic all my boxes, but all the issues im reading here are scaring me. I mostly watch movies and play video games.

Last edited by david8613; 03-12-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page