HC5 vs HC7900DW: Is HC5 that much better than HC7900? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-18-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Would appreciate some comments re the following. I have bought HC7900DW and I really need to make a decision whether I should cancel/return that and buy HC5 instead. I am not debating whether HC5 is better than 7900 or not (of course it is!!!), I am only debating whether it is "twice as good" because that's what the price difference is. I only want to decide based on image quality and suitability for a 120" screen in light controlled HT.

Per product brochures available at MitsubishiElectric.ca website, HC9000 and HC5 are identical units.
With that in mind, could someone please share their thoughts on HC5 vs HC7900DW?
In first blush, these may be considered not to be in the same league, but their historical and current actual selling prices make them close "competitors".

This is what I could find out:
Per material on projector central, HC8000D and HC7900DW are almost identical units with 8000 having better blacks (and dimmer pic) due to 2 additional irises.
Per material on projector reviews, HC5 (i.e. HC9000) is in their "best" category, while 7900 and 8000 are in "mid" category. However, 7900 is recommended over 8000 and HC5 is no where in their top pics.

Per material elsewhere, 7900 *may* be sharper than HC5 because 7900 is DLP and HC5 is LCoS.

All that is good: bottom line is: is HC5 worth its salt? It costs $750 more ($87% more) as compared to HC7900DW ($999 vs $1750). Is it worth it? I mean, would it produce *BETTER* picture than 7900? I only want to compare based on image quality. Rest of the bells and whistles are nice but I only want the image quality to be the deciding factor for the purposes of this. Projector Central has a nice features where same images appears in various reviews which you can view side by side for some idea but in the case of HC5 (i.e. HC9000) and othes Mits offerings (8000 and 7900), HC5 had images which other reviews didn't which made side by side comparison almost impossible.

Please share your thoughts. I have bought 7900 thinking it was a better value and deal than (not to mention: a bit brighter) 8000. And now I am debating whether I should get HC5 instead.

Thanks for your help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-15-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
This review should really leave you confused.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/mitsubishi_hc8000d_full_hd_3d_projector_review.htm?page=Conclusion

I think it depends what's important to you. The HC7900 and HC 8000 are DLPs and they're great for 2D and 3D. They really stand out in the 3D department on a smaller screen. A HP screen helps a lot. The Mits has the best 2D to 3D conversion I've seen yet, if that's important to you. I think the HC5 is LCoS and it most likely will struggle with ghosting in 3D mode. It may be better in 2D, but the HC8000 is a very nice 2D projector -- I have one and just added the HC7900 for a ridiculously low price (about what two lamps cost). I have two active rooms for viewing so I can rationalize the purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc5 , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page