PANASONIC Leave the projector market - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 45 Old 11-29-2014, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by the6thday View Post
Hi folks,

is there any news on this subject? it has been over two years now since panasonic lauched a new home cinema projector
And with my PT-AE4000E having collected over 5300 hours its about time for a replacement/upgrade
Panasonic produce fantastic quality.
I have side by side tested the AE2000 against the Sony1000es for 2 years now with a huge variety of material and the Panny more than holds it's own and at times even outshines the Sony especially with regards to colour gradation.

You can calibrate and watch test patterns until you are blue in the face but that is not necessarily an indication of how the projector handles the material(flicks) in question.

The black is best(JVC) addicts seem to be oblivious to colour fringing(as well as screendoor effects that can afflict those projectors(even the mighty Sony is not immune to colour banding).

I side by side tested the JVC HD1 with the Panny 2000 in 2008.I ignored the hype that favoured the JVC and was pleasantly surprised how the Panny outdid the JVC in colour gradation as well as it's interpretation of flicks that contained elements of optical dupes, grain and other anomalous material. Sure the Panny's blacks were not as good as the JVC but they are still more than respectable.

Lets hope Panasonic apply their cinematic knowledge(used on the AE series) to a new line of 4K beamers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 11-29-2014, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the6thday View Post
Hi folks,

is there any news on this subject? it has been over two years now since panasonic lauched a new home cinema projector
And with my PT-AE4000E having collected over 5300 hours its about time for a replacement/upgrade
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post
I have been holding off buying a bulb for my Epson 5010 hoping Panasonic would come out with something new. I loved my AE2000. I mostly miss Smoothscreen, but other things, like motorized zoom/focus and perfect panel alignment were nice too. This being my third 5010 after the first two had to be replaced, I would like to go back to Panasonic. This 5010 is having it's own issues too. it failed to start this afternoon. I had to unplug it to reset it. I am not a fan of Epson Quality Control, but their support is great.
I am tempted by the Sony 4k projector, but I hate to invest that much when I think much better things are coming soon, like the announced/retracted RED Laser 4k passive 3D projector. That is what I really want.
I don't see this projector making it much longer though.
Yes smoothscreen is an underrated and an unfairly maligned attribute of the AE series.

As far as I am concerned it simulates the 35mm aesthetic best.
post #33 of 45 Old 11-29-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5236 Post(s)
Liked: 5488
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting, it's more likely than not that they are out of the home theater front projector market. not a peep from them in 2+ years.

if you like smooth-screen, look at the current JVC projectors with the e-shift. I've had the recent models here and prefer the e-shift over smoothscreen. Plus the contrast is in another league compared to the Panasonic models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 Old 11-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting, it's more likely than not that they are out of the home theater front projector market. not a peep from them in 2+ years.

if you like smooth-screen, look at the current JVC projectors with the e-shift. I've had the recent models here and prefer the e-shift over smoothscreen. Plus the contrast is in another league compared to the Panasonic models.
It depends on the parameters by which you are judging the projector.

Both the Sony4k and the JVCs(in particular with e-shift) are marketed on the premise that they are incredibly sharp(and they are!)

It was on that basis that I bought the Sony 1000es because I thought it obliterated JVC's 1st e-shift generation(that was demo'd at my dealer).

Whilst Panasonic, in their marketing , also allude to the ability of their projectors to create sharp images ,it is obscured somewhat by some of their other goals.....namely trying to re-create a filmic look(hence their collaboration with various Hollywood insiders/cinematographers)
It was only after I had the 1000es in my possession that I started to realize how subtle(and effective at the same time) some of the Panasonic's attributes are.

I am not disputing the quality of JVC's inky blacks(which is applicable to many of their models) but in my experience there are still other qualities that favour the Panny( for my preferences).

It would be a shame if they stepped aside.
ellisr63 likes this.

Last edited by TheSony4KRises; 11-29-2014 at 12:38 PM.
post #35 of 45 Old 11-29-2014, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 387
I think that Panasonic knows what they are doing. I honestly feel that their projection units are quite underrated on the forum. I would recommend an AE8000 or an entry level x500 JVC unit without hesitation.
post #36 of 45 Old 11-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
I think that Panasonic knows what they are doing. I honestly feel that their projection units are quite underrated on the forum. I would recommend an AE8000 or an entry level x500 JVC unit without hesitation.
Yes I agree.

I have one of their 1st generation 1080p units(the AE2000).
It holds it's own quite comfortably to the Sony4K.
And if it can hold it's own to the Sony I am confident it can handle any one of the JVC's.
post #37 of 45 Old 11-29-2014, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5236 Post(s)
Liked: 5488
Is the smooth screen noticeably different on the 2000 vs. the 4000 or 8000? I've only had the last 2 models here. In general, both models looked a bit soft on my 142". I guess I can see why it would be preferred for some older movies. Although I have models here than can handle older content better than the Sony 4K. Especially the non-upgraded model, the RC 1.0 imo is too harsh, a reason enough alone for the 1100 upgrade which takes it down a few clicks.

One of the things that bothered me on the 8000 was the color uniformity. I only saw a few samples but each had a unique set of issues in this area, enough to see it in real content.

in this relatively niche market of home theater front projectors, the herd is already thinning. Mitsubishi and Sharp are recently gone. I would be surprised to see Panasonic come back to this specific market in 2015.
post #38 of 45 Old 11-29-2014, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
I don't think the projector market overall is hurting, but it probably peaked about 2 years ago and is going down slowly. 3D and gamers gave it a real boost. Panasonic overpriced their projectors and got killed by Epson because all the online reviews favored the Epsons. If you lose in the reviews when it comes to electronics, you just flat out lose.

I think it's because there are so many more detailed and complete online reviews than before that the inferior models die off rather quickly. I think Epson and JVC are probably doing the best. Sony seems to have issues with stock, I don't think Sony is watching their PJ business very closely because they probably do not care that much since it is low-profit. I would guess though that Epson and JVC are making a decent chunk of change in this business.

If you look at how many people are posting about projectors in the past 2 years compared to say 5 years ago, there are way more people with projectors now. It is just that a lot of people buy sub-$1500 projectors, but some that buy those budget PJ's will convert to more expensive ones.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 11-29-2014 at 04:59 PM.
post #39 of 45 Old 11-29-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post

I side by side tested the JVC HD1 with the Panny 2000 in 2008.
This isn't 2008 (that was almost 7 years ago), and the newer JVC projectors look nothing like the JVC HD 1. Sorry but Panasonic vs. JVC is a no contest unless you are a gamer and want lower lag (but then I'd say go with a Sony).

post #40 of 45 Old 11-29-2014, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11816 Post(s)
Liked: 9352
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
This isn't 2008 (that was almost 7 years ago), and the newer JVC projectors look nothing like the JVC HD 1. Sorry but Panasonic vs. JVC is a no contest unless you are a gamer and want lower lag (but then I'd say go with a Sony).
I bet the 2014 Panny is a lot closer to the 2008 Panny, than the 2014 JVC is to the 2008 JVC. In other words, the JVC has made a lot more advancements than the Panny.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #41 of 45 Old 11-29-2014, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Is the smooth screen noticeably different on the 2000 vs. the 4000 or 8000? I've only had the last 2 models here. In general, both models looked a bit soft on my 142". I guess I can see why it would be preferred for some older movies. Although I have models here than can handle older content better than the Sony 4K. Especially the non-upgraded model, the RC 1.0 imo is too harsh, a reason enough alone for the 1100 upgrade which takes it down a few clicks.

One of the things that bothered me on the 8000 was the color uniformity. I only saw a few samples but each had a unique set of issues in this area, enough to see it in real content.

in this relatively niche market of home theater front projectors, the herd is already thinning. Mitsubishi and Sharp are recently gone. I would be surprised to see Panasonic come back to this specific market in 2015.

I should have emphasized that I am using a relatively small screen for my Sony and Panasonic (just 77 inches in width), but I am in a batcave (black ceiling +walls).

I think the mastering process has a role to play here too.
Flicks using the Lowry system seem to upscale very well .Probably because the grain patterns are frozen they exhibit less noise when subjected to greater scrutiny(such as that provided by the Sony).

Other mastering/authoring processes such as the one used by Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging which is called MTI(Mathematical Technologies Inc) does not lend itself well to 4K "surveillance".

As an example:

Sucker Punch(a modern flick-mastered by Warners from the 2k Digital Intemediate) looks plain ugly on the Sony.

Alien looks fantastic(mastered at 4k but using the Lowry patent).

Sucker Punch looks far more more organic on the Panny.

I am hoping to get an upgrade from my dealer later this year for the 1000es(here in the UK the time frame is unlimited).
post #42 of 45 Old 11-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
I bet the 2014 Panny is a lot closer to the 2008 Panny, than the 2014 JVC is to the 2008 JVC. In other words, the JVC has made a lot more advancements than the Panny.
All I know is what I am seeing with my own eyes.

The Panny handles certain material better than the Sony.

JVC's are similar to Sony in the sense that they too place a great emphasis on sharpness. But resolution(sharpness-Sony) or perceived sharpness(great contrast-JVC) does not always assimilate material that was never meant to be sharp in the 1st place.(in particular shots which contain subtle gradations or have shallow depths of field)

Panasonic have understood this.
Hence the 16 bit colour processing and detail clarity processor(which filter these types of images).
post #43 of 45 Old 11-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Rubbish.

I have the 1000es side by side with the Panasonic.

Trust me the Sony has it's work cut out in some areas.
The same would apply to JVC.
post #44 of 45 Old 11-30-2014, 03:04 AM

People see different things I suppose.

Many of us have seen Panny's next to other projectors (I've seen a Panny 7000 next to a JVC RS-45), it's no contest, the higher contrast of the RS-45 eats it alive. The newer JVC's are even better than the RS-45.

post #45 of 45 Old 11-30-2014, 03:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
People see different things I suppose.

Many of us have seen Panny's next to other projectors (I've seen a Panny 7000 next to a JVC RS-45), it's no contest, the higher contrast of the RS-45 eats it alive. The newer JVC's are even better than the RS-45.

Agreed- there is no doubt that there is a degree of subjectivity to all of this(to which I myself am not immune!).
And as I said before I am not disputing the quality of any JVC model.
This is all relative.
They all produce fine images!

I have not seen the 7000 next to a JVC so I cannot comment--- other than to give a hypothetical verdict based on the fact that the AE2000 does provide a contest to the Sony 4K(a projector which can out muscle any of the JVC models).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic , Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page