Epson 5030UB/6030UB vs Sony HW55ES - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 74 Old 03-03-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12541 Post(s)
Liked: 10154
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post

These are the two projectors it came down to for me. After reading all the reviews I could along with a lot of user opinions, I decided on the Epson 5300UB. After a few weeks of enjoying the new projector, I am very pleased and confident I made the right choice for my requirements.

Both projectors have a lot of strengths in common. For me, the deciding points were as follows - and my opinion on how the Epson fared in that regard.

1) Image quality. I've heard that the Sony LCOS/SXRD image has a smoother, more 'film-like' look and less visible pixel structure, and was probably the biggest item in my PRO column for the Sony - though some have said the Sony image is a bit soft without the RC enabled. Regardless, at the screen size (114") and seating distance (11') I'm at, the image from the Epson looks exceptional and very film-like, with no evidence of SDE. The panel alignment on mine is excellent, and the image focus is very sharp. I'm totally satisfied with what I see - images look stunning.

2) Black Level. Reviews complimented both PJs on their excellent black levels, and I have to agree on the Epson. I've had previous projectors in this room, and there was more of an improvement in this area than I expected. I leave the dynamic iris ON, but blacks still looks very impressive with it OFF.

3) 2D Brightness. Excellent - I'm in a dedicated theater room and the Epson has a bright and punchy image in low lamp mode, with high contrast and well saturated colors.

In low lamp or high lamp best image mode calibrated the Sony is brighter than the Epson. You have to go to living room mode to beat the Sony in Lumens.

4) 3D Brightness/performance. Reviews tended to give this to the Epson - and as large screen 3D was something I was very much looking forward to, this was a major PRO for the Epson. I've enjoyed several 3D titles, and they look great. Brightness is fine, and I have not had issues with crosstalk or ghosting.

5) Noise - dynamic iris and high lamp mode. This was very much a pre-purchase concern, as the projector is directly overhead. I'm pleased to say that after testing the fan noise shortly after receipt, I was both pleased and relieved. Yes, it's louder than low lamp mode, but the noise is from air movement, and not of a pitch or level that I find objectionable. A subjective thing, yes - but for me turned out to not be a factor. The iris operation is not something I've been distracted by at all.

Fan noise levels and iris noise, the Sony kills the Epson.

6). RF vs. IR 3D Glasses. Definitely a plus on the Epson - surprised that Sony was still with the IR this year. I also had some existing Panasonic RF glasses from a plasma set, and they pair and work fine with the Epson.

7) Case color. I would have preferred a black case, but I mulled that over a bit and decided it was not a major issue. The projector styling I think is quite attractive, and the face that is toward the screen (the important part for reflectivity) is black. I could always wrap it black if necessary, but I've come to rather like the look of it in white ... smile.gif

9) Price. My delivered price on the Epson was about a thousand dollars lower than the Sony. If I'd felt the Sony offered enough 'more' of features that were important to me, I would have happily paid the extra - after enjoying the Epson for a few weeks I'm confident that I made the right call.

Either projector would have been replaced in a few years, when/if 4K projectors and content become readily available and prices come down, but I don't feel I'm sacrificing anything with the Epson in the meantime. I'm sure the Sony is a great unit, but for me the Epson is a better choice - very, very pleased with this purchase.

I agree with most of what you posted, except for what I noted in bold above. smile.gif
mishari84 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 03-03-2014, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I agree with most of what you posted, except for what I noted in bold above. smile.gif

Not sure where the disagreement is, as I'm just trying to provide some insight into what factored into my decision between these two projectors - and how I felt the Epson did in those areas. I am not trying to do, and have no basis for, a comparison. smile.gif

Quote:
3) 2D Brightness. Excellent - I'm in a dedicated theater room and the Epson has a bright and punchy image in low lamp mode, with high contrast and well saturated colors.

In low lamp or high lamp best image mode calibrated the Sony is brighter than the Epson. You have to go to living room mode to beat the Sony in Lumens.

Again, the brightness level was more than adequate for me, in my environment - and from the measurements in the reviews I've read the Epson PJs are certainly no slouch in the brightness department.

Quote:
5) Noise - dynamic iris and high lamp mode. This was very much a pre-purchase concern, as the projector is directly overhead. I'm pleased to say that after testing the fan noise shortly after receipt, I was both pleased and relieved. Yes, it's louder than low lamp mode, but the noise is from air movement, and not of a pitch or level that I find objectionable. A subjective thing, yes - but for me turned out to not be a factor. The iris operation is not something I've been distracted by at all.

Fan noise levels and iris noise, the Sony kills the Epson.

Pretty well everything I've read agrees with that - hence my concern prior to purchasing, and my delight when testing it that I didn't find it to be an issue. I'm sure there are some that will disagree - it's a subjective call. In low lamp mode, I can't hear it at all unless I put my ear next to the exhaust vent.
post #33 of 74 Old 03-03-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I agree the Epson 5030 is an incredible projector. Given its substantially lower cost its and outright steal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 74 Old 03-03-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post

Not sure where the disagreement is, as I'm just trying to provide some insight into what factored into my decision between these two projectors - and how I felt the Epson did in those areas. I am not trying to do, and have no basis for, a comparison. smile.gif
Again, the brightness level was more than adequate for me, in my environment - and from the measurements in the reviews I've read the Epson PJs are certainly no slouch in the brightness department.
Pretty well everything I've read agrees with that - hence my concern prior to purchasing, and my delight when testing it that I didn't find it to be an issue. I'm sure there are some that will disagree - it's a subjective call. In low lamp mode, I can't hear it at all unless I put my ear next to the exhaust vent.

I was just trying to point out those two factors, so that others, looking at these two models would know the advantages and disadvantages to each. Both are good projectors. Throw less lag onto the Epson and lens memory onto both of them and you would have a very formidable pair of projectors. More so than they are now. smile.gif
post #35 of 74 Old 03-03-2014, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I've owned the hw50 for over a year now and absolutely love it! I demoed both the 6020ub and hw50 before I decided. I think it's a simple answer, if you want the best projector for 3d get the Epson, for the best everything else get the Sony.
agdibugdi likes this.
post #36 of 74 Old 03-03-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post

Here you go-stock out of the box on Reference, white and black level set, lamp on high and iris off.

Thanks trans_lux.

I just realized that u had a 1.3 gain screen. In my case, with a screen gain of 1.0, in low lamp with the iris at 75, I could get a calibrated image of 10ft/L and 15ft/L for high lamp (iris at 75). But my screen is smaller 108" diagonal at a throw distance of 14.5 ft. That was at a lamp age of <40hrs. I guess if I open up the iris all the way I could get a little more. Also, the readings were taken from about 6feet from the screen. My actual screen gain is probably a little lower than that if I use FLBoys All Screen Gain Calculator.

Will post up my readings when I redo them.
post #37 of 74 Old 03-03-2014, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatesh_m View Post

Will post up my readings when I redo them.

An excellent idea, but I suggest they might be better suited to posting over in the dedicated Sony 55ES thread - projector specific calibration details are getting somewhat off topic for this one ... smile.gif
post #38 of 74 Old 03-03-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

~~Thanks y'all. Greatly appreciate all the reviews/comments/expert advice. In my case, I have a 17' by 15' room with 5 windows on one side. I have blinds at the moment, but planning to get good quality curtains to block as much light as possible. Having said that I am thinking of leaning towards Sony HW55ES instead of Epson 6030, but do not have any insight as to how the picture would look in the event I want to see an afternoon football or golf. Should I consider Epson in this case ? I am not into 3D and do not compromise on the 'film like' quality that Sony offers.

Any recommendations ?

post #39 of 74 Old 03-03-2014, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Both are exceptional projectors and are an amazing value.
If you can spare the extra bucks I'd go for the 55.
It's out of box performance is really compelling.
It's also got great light output. However no projector can compete with sunlight.
Either way I don't think you can go wrong.
post #40 of 74 Old 03-06-2014, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the great comments and opinions. I have decided to go with sony hw55es.smile.gif
post #41 of 74 Old 03-06-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdibugdi View Post

Thanks for all the great comments and opinions. I have decided to go with sony hw55es.smile.gif
Your going to be thrilled.
Its really a giant killer.
Post back after you get it setup and have enjoyed some movies.
Enjoy!
agdibugdi likes this.
post #42 of 74 Old 04-01-2014, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, I think this is the appropriate thread to ask this. So I plan on getting my first time projector and I keep mull'ing over it and as soon as I get close to picking one I feel like another model rises in rank. There is still plenty more for me to read, but maybe just asking these questions can help me figure things out quicker.

I am mostly interested in these 4:

1. Sony HW55ES
2. JVC X35B/RS46
3. Epson 5030/6030
4. Panasonic PT-AE8000U

I keep going back in forth in metrics, which I think come to these: price, 2d PQ, 3d PQ, lens memory (I like the idea of switching between 2.35 / 1.78 quickly and out of the box), lag, noise, and probably some other metric that I'm forgetting.......I should probably include brightness as a metric...but I have a dedicated room that I can make pitch black so I don't know if it really matters to me so I'd rather just fit it in the ever so vague "PQ" metrics

Can you folks help me with ranking these metrics? Here is the best I can do based on what I've read.......and I am probably wrong in a couple of them:

Price: Panasonic PT-AE8000U > Epson 5030/6030 > JVC X35B/RS46 > Sony HW55ES
2D PQ: JVC X35B/RS46 > Sony HW55ES > Epson 5030/6030 > Panasonic PT-AE8000U
3D PQ: Epson 5030/6030 > Sony HW55ES > JVC X35B/RS46 (not sure where Panasonic PT-AE8000U fits in here, I've heard it's quite good though)
lens memory: JVC X35B/RS46 + Panasonic PT-AE8000U
lag (not sure about this one): Panasonic PT-AE8000U > Sony HW55ES > Epson 5030/6030 > JVC X35B/RS46
noise: Sony HW55ES > JVC X35B/RS46 > Epson 5030/6030 (not sure where Panasonic PT-AE8000U fits in here)
post #43 of 74 Old 04-02-2014, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Each one has its strengths and weaknesses you just have to decide which fits your needs the best,

Aside from lag time the x35 is very nice, lens memory works great and 3d is improved.nice sharp lens and rich colors.
post #44 of 74 Old 04-02-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thank you very much for the review! I will be getting a projector this summer and these are the main 2 I am looking at also. I was leaning towards the 5030 and that just confirms it. My criteria is very similar to yours.
post #45 of 74 Old 04-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
...isn't just having a housing unit for the epson solve the noise problem?...
post #46 of 74 Old 04-11-2014, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hello Guys. I am looking at the Epson 6030 (Was looking at the 5030, but think I might pay a bit more for the bulb and Mount). I always hear people talking about Panel alignment. What the heck does that mean? And why is it important.

I do want 3D and I am mainly using the projector for 80% movies and 20% playing my Sony PS3, and who knows maybe I will get the PS4 soon? One concern I have with the Epson is the rumored, LAG TIME:rolleyes:

I am not sure if this is a Major issue or not? I am told it is only an issue IF you play on-line against other players. Solo Games, it's not a big issue and I remember reading Epson has a fast setting to assist with the Lag. Those who own the Epson 5030/6030, is this LAG noticeable? And if so, is it something I should be concerned about?

I wasn't looking at the Sony because of price, but if I really wanted it, I could afford it. I have a dedicated 20 x 17 Media Room with a ceiling mounted Mitsubishi HC1500 (720P0 Projector and a 117" X 69" screen. Moving up to the Epson is going to be a Major Increase in every performance category. I can't wait to see what a 1080P looks like, especially now since the manufacturers are getting really good at building a low cost quality projector.

Should I consider the Sony? I want Great Quality 3D for 100%, but actually I am not sure how much I'd use it? I never had one before. I actually JUST mounted a Samsung 8000 3D HD TV above my Fireplace yesterday, but haven't tried the 3D yet.

I am 80% sure I am getting the Epson, just because I think it's a good value and coming from my Mitsubishi HC1500, I am sure I will be blown away.

I wish Sony had better 3D as it does sound like a nice projector.

Here are some pictures of my Media Room in case it helps anyone to suggest something:D

post #47 of 74 Old 04-11-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoupebandit View Post

I do want 3D and I am mainly using the projector for 80% movies and 20% playing my Sony PS3, and who knows maybe I will get the PS4 soon? One concern I have with the Epson is the rumored, LAG TIME:rolleyes:

I am not sure if this is a Major issue or not? I am told it is only an issue IF you play on-line against other players. Solo Games, it's not a big issue and I remember reading Epson has a fast setting to assist with the Lag. Those who own the Epson 5030/6030, is this LAG noticeable? And if so, is it something I should be concerned about?

I have the Epson 6030 and play PS3 and PS4 on it. When playing solo games (I'm currently playing South Park: Stick of Truth and Bioshock 2 on PS3 and Assassin's Creed on PS4) I play it with the video setting to fine and have no issues at all. I notice no lag either. When I was playing Call of Duty multiplayer on the PS4 I noticed some lag so I set it to "fast" instead of "fine" and again had no issues with the lag. You will notice a very slight image degradation, but it isn't as bad as people complain about. You will also forget about it 5 seconds into playing. In fact, I would think the majority of the people complaining about it have never actually seen it and played with it. The change in video quality is so minimal I have often forgot to change it back, and I have a 133" screen and perfect vision.
redcoupebandit likes this.
post #48 of 74 Old 04-11-2014, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Just upgraded from the Epson 5010 to the Sony 55. The Sony is a giant improvement over the Epson. I know Epson improved 3D a lot on the 5030 over the 5010, so that might be closer, but compared to the 5010 3D is brighter (than 3D cinema on the Epson. 3D Dynamic the fan noise was so loud I couldn't bother), Smoother (I really like the motion flow), and black levels are better. Again, the 5010 didn't have DI or CFI in 3D so not a fair comparison. I am sure the 5030 would look great too, if you don't mind the noise.
At my 7' seating distance to my 120" screen the Epson's SDE was really bothersome. The Sony is beautiful. Makes me glad I didn't wait for 4k.
Sharpness is much improved too. I remote into work on my projector and text is much clearer on this Sony than any other projector I have had. Convergence is perfect, unlike all 4 Epson 5010's I went through. The Lens seems better too, focus is perfect across the whole screen, couldn't get that with any of my Epsons. My second and third Epsons had dust blob issues so it is nice to not worry about that. I would say the fact I went through 4 Epsons could go as a plus in the Sony column too.
Input Lag feels better, but I never complained about it on my Epson. I mostly World of Warcraft and Battlefield, but I suck at that.
I have a high gain screen which makes 3D amazing, and the manual iris of the Sony lets me clamp it down so 2D isn't so bright. I have it on min now and it is still a tad bright, but looks amazing. My Epson had no manual iris so it was way too bright in 2D. I had 5000 hours on the lamp and still had it in eco power.
On the other hand, Sony's 3D glasses are much worse than the Epsons. I have a rf emitter on its way so that will be a null point, but it does add to my expense, and it was quite a pain to arrange. The Sony is quite a bit more than the Epson, but it is so much better for me that I would pay twice as much.
There are other minor things too, Epson's lens shift isn't great. It drifts down when you try to adjust left/right. The Sony is black, to match my all black theater. I do like Epson's auto lens cover. I like Epsons square front. Trying to tell if the Sony is square on my shelf when it has a rounded front isn't easy. All minor things there.

I know my requirements and situation don't match a lot of people but for me, my objective was really great 3D, and the ability to work on my projector. This means
1) A high gain screen for great 3D.
3) Sitting close. 3D is so much better up close. I like the iMax effect. For this to work pixel structure must be invisible.
2) A manual iris for not blinding 2D.
The Sony was the only projector that matched this. SDE was by biggest fault with the 5010 and going to the Sony was like going from a dot matrix printer to a laser printer. If you sit further back that isn't an issue, but then you are closer to the projector where the noise might be an issue. The Sony is almost silent.
I am sure for most people the 5030 would be a great projector. I know for me it isn't even close.
post #49 of 74 Old 04-12-2014, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So I too find myself in the same dilemma as WestCDA but I do not have a dedicated theater. My projector is to be mounted on the ceiling in a family room with a row of ceiling to floor patio doors adjacent to a Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4, 115" diagonal with LED backlighting. The windows will be covered up with opaque blinds but eliminating ambient light all together will be next to impossible, especially for daytime watching. So with everything thats been discussed in this thread thus far, of the two projectors, why one will perform better in a non-dedicated theater? I would be happy to provide more information and or pics.

post #50 of 74 Old 04-12-2014, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks Guys (nickoakdl & wnielsenbb).

Man I was totally getting the Epson, but now, who knows. I am getting this projector and won't change it out for a long time. I installed my Mitsubishi in 2007! It's still there too. Epson does have some cool features, and Sony has a few too. I would get the 6030, so I CAN get it in Black, so that's a Moot Point.

" Epson's lens shift isn't great" you said. What is Lens Shift? Also Epson has something like a Memory Lens that is automatic? Something like that. What does that Mean!?

Someone tell me something definitive.biggrin.gif:eek:, yeah Right, we could go all year on this debate.

Let me ask the Epson Guys something. If the Sony and the Epson were the Exact Same Price, would you still get the Epson 5030/6030???rolleyes.gif

I am curious what you will say. Why is the Epson's 3D so much better than the Sony? Again, just going by what I read. Some say the Sony is DARKER in 3D than the Epson, is that what it is? Is the Sony's 3D still look like 3D? And is amazing, or is it just So So????????????

Again, I'm coming from a 2007 Mitsubishi HC1500 720P Projector, so I think whatever I get, I'll be blown away. I am a cheap bastard like the next guy, BUT, I am keeping this for a long time, so I will spend another $1,000 if it is really that much better. but $1,000 is a lot of money still. However, a few months later you'll never remember you spent it. I just want to make a good decision!

Also, what is Panel Adjustment? Why do you have to do it? If I get an Epson, I hope I get a good one. I heard QC isn't what the company is known for.

OK, that's enough for now. Go Epson! I mean, Go Sony! I mean Go, oh forget it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!rolleyes.giftongue.gif

P.S. Bandit, that is a beautiful media room you have there.............. Nice screen you built by hand too!biggrin.gif
post #51 of 74 Old 04-13-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

" Epson's lens shift isn't great" you said. What is Lens Shift? Also Epson has something like a Memory Lens that is automatic? Something like that. What does that Mean!?
Lens shift is a feature that lets you adjust the placement of the projected image. For most people it'll be something you use once during the initial setup, but it does make things a lot easier. I haven't used the Sony's lens shift, but the Epson's is a little finicky but it still works fine. It doesn't have a memory lens that is automatic though.

Quote:

Let me ask the Epson Guys something. If the Sony and the Epson were the Exact Same Price, would you still get the Epson 5030/6030???rolleyes.gif

I'd definately get my Epson again, and I'm sure people who own the Sony would get their Sony again. There really are no losers if you end up with one of these projectors. No projector is perfect, and where one might excel, the other one might falter. If 3D is very important it's hard to talk someone out of the Epson.

Quote:

I am curious what you will say. Why is the Epson's 3D so much better than the Sony? Again, just going by what I read. Some say the Sony is DARKER in 3D than the Epson, is that what it is? Is the Sony's 3D still look like 3D? And is amazing, or is it just So So????????????

2 of the most crucial areas in a good 3D image are having a bright image and as little crosstalk as possible. The Epsons manage to excel in those areas. I'm coming from a 73" Mitsubishi DLP that had ZERO crosstalk, but wasn't that bright, and I was always amazed at the 3D on it. I thought going to the Epson would be a bit of a dissapointment, but the Epson is actually a far better 3D experience. It's the best 3D I've seen, whether it be in theater or home.

Quote:

Also, what is Panel Adjustment? Why do you have to do it? If I get an Epson, I hope I get a good one. I heard QC isn't what the company is known for.

Panel alignment helps you make any adjustments if convergence is off. I don't know what percentage of people have to use it, I didn't have to use it at all on mine. I had worries about Epson's QC from what I've read, but I took a shot on them because of how amazing their customer service and warranty are. With the 6030 you will get a 3 year warranty and if you have any issues they replace the projector with a refurb that they get to you in a couple days.
post #52 of 74 Old 04-13-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I had the 5010 and the Sony gives me the best 3D experience I have had yet. I am sure the 5030 would be just as good, maybe better. The big advantage of the Epson is RF glasses. Sony's glasses are horrible. I had to go well out of my way to get RF for the Sony. 3D Dynamic mode on the Epson is brighter than the Sony's brightest mode too, but on my 5010 it made the fan noise way too loud. The other mode (3D Cinema) on my 5010 was pretty equal to Sony's. I think the 5030 has other modes too.

With the 5030 you only get two years warranty. I would certainly get the 6030 for the black color, extra warranty and other stuff. The whole replacement thing isn't as good as it sounds though. They just send you another troubled unit. I went through 4 of them. Some other guy went through 7.

I am sure the newer Epsons have worked out many of those bugs.

To be honest don't fret over your the choice too much, either way you are going to be extremely happy.
post #53 of 74 Old 08-06-2014, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What amazes me is that the two most highly praised projectors (along with JVC) are hardly being mentioned on the Forums. It took me forever to find this thread.

Over at the Epson 5030 thread - it's pretty much dead and I've yet to find a thread solely for the Sony es55.

What I've read the most over the past month is the Epson 5030 vs. the Sony 30es. It seems since the 5030 has been out a while, everyone's waiting for September when there will be news on a possible 5040. The Sony 30es is a new projector and there have been periodic sales that occasionally put it close to $2000 vs $2500 for the Epson. Of those two models, I'd definitely go with the Epson. No question.

Having owned the 5020, I was focusing on the 5030 vs. the 30es. However, after reading all the reviews on those two, I felt the more competitive comparison was between the 5030 vs. the Sony 55es.

If the price were the same on the 5030 vs the 55es - I'd go with the Sony = hands down! However since there's approx. a $1000 or more difference between them, now that's a tougher call.

I'd definitely want the Sony 55es, but probably buy the Epson. With the price difference, that will get you the Epson plus a top reference quality screen vs. just the 55es. I'd be very reluctant to get the 55es and then only be able to afford an entry level screen.

I don't care for 3D - have no interest or need for it. My primary viewing would be movies and football and tennis plus my HD DirecTV shows (and maybe some gaming). That's about it. Plus my screen size is going to be around 92".

I have a light controlled room with dark walls - it's just not a really big room. I like the idea of having a front projector that can give me a display that rivals those new 80" flat panel TV's - only better. (I do have those moments where I just want to get a 60" to 70" flat panel TV under $1500 and call it a day and avoid the complexity of having a front projector set up.
post #54 of 74 Old 08-06-2014, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6986 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenkent View Post
What amazes me is that the two most highly praised projectors (along with JVC) are hardly being mentioned on the Forums. It took me forever to find this thread.

Over at the Epson 5030 thread - it's pretty much dead and I've yet to find a thread solely for the Sony es55.

What I've read the most over the past month is the Epson 5030 vs. the Sony 30es. It seems since the 5030 has been out a while, everyone's waiting for September when there will be news on a possible 5040. The Sony 30es is a new projector and there have been periodic sales that occasionally put it close to $2000 vs $2500 for the Epson. Of those two models, I'd definitely go with the Epson. No question.

Having owned the 5020, I was focusing on the 5030 vs. the 30es. However, after reading all the reviews on those two, I felt the more competitive comparison was between the 5030 vs. the Sony 55es.

If the price were the same on the 5030 vs the 55es - I'd go with the Sony = hands down! However since there's approx. a $1000 or more difference between them, now that's a tougher call.

I'd definitely want the Sony 55es, but probably buy the Epson. With the price difference, that will get you the Epson plus a top reference quality screen vs. just the 55es. I'd be very reluctant to get the 55es and then only be able to afford an entry level screen.

I don't care for 3D - have no interest or need for it. My primary viewing would be movies and football and tennis plus my HD DirecTV shows (and maybe some gaming). That's about it. Plus my screen size is going to be around 92".

I have a light controlled room with dark walls - it's just not a really big room. I like the idea of having a front projector that can give me a display that rivals those new 80" flat panel TV's - only better. (I do have those moments where I just want to get a 60" to 70" flat panel TV under $1500 and call it a day and avoid the complexity of having a front projector set up.

Having had 3 different front projector set ups over 12+ years, I definitely think that the complexity is worth having a big screen. As for projectors, why not get a Sony HW30 b stock and a good screen, and upgrade your projector a couple of years down the road ? Never under estimate having a good screen - you'll have a screen for many years longer than the projector. If funds are tight, that's what I would do.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS

Last edited by Craig Peer; 08-06-2014 at 08:09 AM.
post #55 of 74 Old 08-06-2014, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2574 Post(s)
Liked: 2255
A good front projection set-up will smoke an 80" LED panel for PQ, as well.

Also agree on the screen. Go with the best screen you can afford as it's something you're not going to change very often or at all. Too many people buy good projectors but then go with cheap screens - they are short changing themselves IMO.

Last edited by DavidHir; 08-06-2014 at 09:03 AM.
post #56 of 74 Old 08-06-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenkent View Post

The dedicated HW55ES thread is at the bottom of the first page: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...ny-hw55es.html
post #57 of 74 Old 08-06-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 2071
where does pricing start on a good screen, what manufacturer is better?
post #58 of 74 Old 08-06-2014, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6986 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
where does pricing start on a good screen, what manufacturer is better?

You might want to check out the screen section of the forum, and feel free to call us and ask questions at AV Science.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #59 of 74 Old 08-12-2014, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I'm a bit late to the party, but with regards to fan noise it really shouldn't be talked about. The Sony is effectively inaudible. No denying that. However, when I tested my Epson, in 3D mode, I had it sitting on a box literally right behind my head as I sat/laid down on a bean bag chair. My head was 48" from the fan and I barely noticed it. The sound was coming from a 32" old Sony picture tube TV, so the fan wasn't being drowned.

For me, price and versatility is what sealed it for me. The Epson does pretty much everything really well at a significantly lower price point. My room isn't even done yet, but I bought mine in March since it came with a free Oppo-103. Gregg at Lion AV had a deal too good to pass up.

-
My Theater Build

Equipment List: Denon X5200, Epson 6030, 120" Carada cinemascope screen, Panamorph U480, Oppo-103, Emotiva XPA-5, SVS PB12-NSD, LSA Statement LCR & surround speakers, Def Tech ProCinema 1000 rears, DefTech DI5.5R Atmos overheads, Grafik Eye 3106
post #60 of 74 Old 08-12-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestoneman View Post
I'm a bit late to the party, but with regards to fan noise it really shouldn't be talked about. The Sony is effectively inaudible. No denying that. However, when I tested my Epson, in 3D mode, I had it sitting on a box literally right behind my head as I sat/laid down on a bean bag chair. My head was 48" from the fan and I barely noticed it. The sound was coming from a 32" old Sony picture tube TV, so the fan wasn't being drowned.

For me, price and versatility is what sealed it for me. The Epson does pretty much everything really well at a significantly lower price point. My room isn't even done yet, but I bought mine in March since it came with a free Oppo-103. Gregg at Lion AV had a deal too good to pass up.

If you go to the 6030 thread, you will read about several people that complain about the noise level. Some that have returned the projector due to this. You may have a unit that is quieter than some of the other units. The noise may not bother you as much as it bothers someone else. There is no question the Sony is quieter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector , Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6030ub 3d 3lcd Projector With A Pair Of 3d Glasses

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page