Epson 5030UB/6030UB vs Sony HW55ES - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 74 Old 12-02-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I currently own an Epson 1080UB whose 2nd bulb is reaching the end of its usable life. Instead of buying a 3rd bulb I'm considering buying either the 5030UB/6030UB or the Sony HW55ES so I'll at least be able to play 3D though I don't suspect I'll end up watching a ton of it as I typically only bother with 3D on movies that are truly made for 3D presentation. I project onto a 100" slight grey 1.1 gain fixed frame screen so brightness with either should be excellent in both 2D and 3D.

I've been mostly satisfied with the 1080UB after going through 3 of them when I first bought it due to red channel ghosting that was common on this model when it was released, as well as convergence and focus uniformity issues. I was extremely frustrated in the beginning, but mostly satisfied with it after as the convergence has remained spot on over the years (and was basically perfect on the unit I stuck with anyway). However, here is my list of items I have found annoying with the 1080UB:
  • Poor color uniformity: varied from unit to unit when I was going through them at the beginning and the one I stuck with was less then great in this department.
  • Somewhat annoyingly loud fans in high lamp mode: I use a rack behind my couch that the projector sits on about 18 inches above and less than a foot behind my head.
  • Dust blobs: I have a blue one that is has been noticeable on black or very dark backgrounds since about the 1 year mark. Others have come and gone but I can't seem to get rid of this one by reasonable means. Not the end of the world, but I expect better for the money spent.
  • Audible dynamic iris: It seems like the iris noise resonates inside the overly large casing leading to a hollow-ish clicking/brief thumping noise. Not a huge deal, but having come from a Panasonic AE900U with a dead silent iris I've found it annoying.
  • Dynamic Iris 'pumping' effect: Transitioning from one end of the scene darkness scale to the other results in what looks like waves of color variation moving inward then outward from the top and bottom of the image to the center. This is mostly not very noticeable in typical viewing, but is annoying when I do notice it. Again my previous Panasonic's iris was nearly unnoticeable in operation either visually or aurally.

So far, here's what I've gathered are the strengths of each over the other:
  • Sony strengths: nearly inaudible fan noise even in high lamp mode, nearly inaudible dynamic iris, sealed light path keeps dust blobs from forming, better picture enhancement tech, brighter in 3D, black casing.
  • Epson strengths: less 3D crosstalk, less flicker in 3D due to 480Hz panels in the Epson vs 240Hz in the Sony, more reliable 3D glasses sync due to RF transmitter/receivers, lighter/larger/more comfortable 3D glasses, longer lamp life in high lamp mode (4000 on the Epson, only 2000 on the Sony even though low lamp mode are both 'rated' at 5000), brighter in 2D, smaller casing.

From everything I've read, contrast and black level are roughly on par with each other with the 2 trading blows from scene to scene. Out of the box color is more accurate on the Sony, but once calibrated both are basically equivalent.

Unanswered questions:
  • How visually noticeable is the dynamic iris on the 5030/6030 vs the HW55ES?
  • Why is there such a disparity between the lamp life in high and low modes on the Sony? It makes me doubt even more than usual the 5000 hr. max rating in low lamp mode. Anybody have experience with this on the older model Sony's, as in how close to rated is the bulb life typically?
  • I thought I read somewhere that someone thought the lens on the 5030/6030 is of slightly better quality than the Sony resulting in a sharper non-enhanced picture?
  • Is the pixel fill on the Sony better? I thought I had read in a forum post somewhere that there is no visible black gap between pixels on the Sony?

Current conclusion:

Since I expect my 3D use to be fairly minimal, the 3D strengths of the Epsons aren't as important to me as the fan and iris noise and dust blob proof strengths of the Sony are. However, despite the fact that the more expensive Sony includes an extra year of warranty and an extra bulb, the Epson 5030 seems like an awfully good value and would save me money now that could be used to upgrade sooner than if I spend the extra money on the Sony. However, I would not willingly choose to go through the poor quality control unit lotto that I experienced with my previous Epson purchase though I must say their service was excellent and there was no hesitation in sending me only new units as replacements instead of refurbs as is their usual practice.

Does anybody have any input, especially on the unanswered questions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 12-02-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 270
These links may help. The thread here on AVS 5030 is a good one too.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_news.cfm?2013-11-15-Epson-6030UB-and-5030UB-win-Editors-Choice&entry_id=663

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_6030ub_projector_review.htm

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | Hulu | Roku Ultra | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #3 of 74 Old 12-02-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 270
The 6030 also gives a third year for the warranty and an extra bulb plus a ceiling mount and 2 3D glasses.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | Hulu | Roku Ultra | Monoprice 12AWG |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 Old 12-11-2013, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Pixel fill is better on the Sony. It's barely noticeable close up. But, since you've had the LCD Epson for several years, not sure how much this impacts your decision. I was using DLP, and couldn't get past the pixel grid on LCD - it was too visible for me.

FWIW - I haven't been able to see the dynamic iris on the Sony yet after watching 5 movies and a few hours of TV/sports. So I'd call the Sony largely invisible in real world viewing, at least for me. I actually put on a dark scene early on and switched it on and off to see if it was working because I couldn't see it!

post #5 of 74 Old 12-11-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronh View Post

Pixel fill is better on the Sony. It's barely noticeable close up. But, since you've had the LCD Epson for several years, not sure how much this impacts your decision. I was using DLP, and couldn't get past the pixel grid on LCD - it was too visible for me.

FWIW - I haven't been able to see the dynamic iris on the Sony yet after watching 5 movies and a few hours of TV/sports. So I'd call the Sony largely invisible in real world viewing, at least for me. I actually put on a dark scene early on and switched it on and off to see if it was working because I couldn't see it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronh View Post

I did eventually find a closeup picture someone had taken of an HW50ES and the pixel gap is so small as to be barely visible. I like that as I think the picture would look less grainy though to be honest when I'm sitting 13' from a 100" screen I rarely notice the grain.

My hesitation with the Epson continues to be (in order of importance): chance (though apparently extremely unlikely on the new models) of dust blobs, the chance of poor QC between units as I hate playing unit lotto with new purchases, color/saturation shifts between iris steps when the Dynamic Iris is in use (not sure if this is still an issue with the 5030/6030), Dynamic Iris noise (still noticeable from what I'm reading of the 5030/6030), Fan noise (still very noticeable on the 5030/6030 from what I'm reading when running the lamp on high power which would always affect 3D and end of lamp life viewing), and color uniformity issues.

I have concerns with the Sony as well such as: less optical sharpness vs. the Epsons, possible color uniformity issues, focus uniformity issues, and drifting focus issues. I also don't like that Sony is still using IR as the built-in 3D sync method. Epson's been building in RF for 2 generations now. That just seems cheap on the part of Sony. The glasses that come with it I've also heard are uncomfortable if you have a large head, and they look excessively bulky compared to the newer models of glasses.

I may just stick it out with my 1080UB for another year and see if Sony brings more updates to their offerings next year. Honestly even if the 55 came with an internal RF transmitter and glasses I'd lean enough toward the Sony to pull the trigger this year.
post #6 of 74 Old 12-11-2013, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had narrowed my decision down to the same two projectors and called to order the Epson 6030 last Friday. I got in to a discussion with the sales guy about the Sony once again and was told the Sony was absolutely the better projector. This is my first projector and I told the guy I would never know the difference but also wanted his opinion if it was really worth the extra money for the Sony. I wound up ordering the Sony and I'm sure I would have been happy with either projector. I was also told the exact same thing by a local home theater store. I'm not sure when it's going to arrive but looking forward to getting it all set up. Theater room is ready, all the electronics hooked up, HDMI cord already run, so when it arrives I'll just need to mount the projector.

I also saw the Epson 6030 in person at my local Best Buy Magnolia store. My wife and I loved it and both of us thought the picture was great. I went several places trying to view the Sony but no one had it yet so I've yet to view the Sony. Lighting will not be an issue as I've got a dedicated home theater room in a newly complete home.
post #7 of 74 Old 12-11-2013, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Please post your impressions when you receive it - there are a number of us looking at making that same decision, based on a sparse selection of reviews and comments from early adopters like yourself. It's sure it was a tough call on two leading edge products in this class, but from what little info is available so far I'm sure you'll be very happy with your decision. Enjoy! smile.gif
post #8 of 74 Old 12-11-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I'll say this about my brief experience with my 6030.

Prior to getting this projector I was pretty set on getting a DLP or Sony, but I decided to give the Epson a shot because I got a deal that was too good to pass up. Once I got the projector I shot up a 100" image on a brown wall just to make sure the thing worked. I played with it for about an hour checking lag, noise, convergence, SDE and those sort of issues. I can say that all the things I was worried about weren't an issue for me. My convergence is tack sharp, the noise is minimal in eco and less than my DLP tv in 3D, SDE is only noticable if you are abnormally close (5ft from 100" give or take), lag wasn't an issue at all in fast mode (neither was the "blurring" problem). My only concern that I have left is longevity and only time will answer that one. I have got to say that I am entirely impressed and can't wait to actually project it properly onto a nice screen.
post #9 of 74 Old 12-11-2013, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

I'll say this about my brief experience with my 6030.

Prior to getting this projector I was pretty set on getting a DLP or Sony, but I decided to give the Epson a shot because I got a deal that was too good to pass up. Once I got the projector I shot up a 100" image on a brown wall just to make sure the thing worked. I played with it for about an hour checking lag, noise, convergence, SDE and those sort of issues. I can say that all the things I was worried about weren't an issue for me. My convergence is tack sharp, the noise is minimal in eco and less than my DLP tv in 3D, SDE is only noticable if you are abnormally close (5ft from 100" give or take), lag wasn't an issue at all in fast mode (neither was the "blurring" problem). My only concern that I have left is longevity and only time will answer that one. I have got to say that I am entirely impressed and can't wait to actually project it properly onto a nice screen.
same I have had my 9200w (6030) up and running for over a week now on 110"" screen and mine is sharp as with no colour fringing at all, on eco can hardly hear the thing, 3d is noisy on full fan though. I sit 4.2 m from screen and can see no dse at all even at 3m I can not see it looks very smooth also the 55 is (Australia) just out and the 50 is at least a $1000 more than I paid for the Epson. Watched pacific rim the other night and was so impressed with the stunning picture.
post #10 of 74 Old 12-15-2013, 08:06 PM

So it seems like I'm not alone in this quandary :)

Aaron is very helpful in this regard, and I recommend reading some of his posts.

I bought Epson 5030UBE from Crutchfield on a Black Friday deal and so far the projector looks great! However, this is my first projector and since I didn't have a point of reference, I went to a local Home Theater shop. The sales guy there was gung-ho about the 55ES and he showed me a scene from Life of Pi., which looked amazing and another movie scene on an Epson and Sony's black levels were way better.

I am going to purchase a Sony 55 ES or a 50 ES and going to pit the Epson Vs Sony to get a true baseline on what works best given my set up. I'll post my views as soon as I get the Sony (seems to be back ordered via Auth. Dealers)

post #11 of 74 Old 12-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hello there i also had to made the choice between those projectors..

For me i went with the sony Hw55es.....

Why?

First i saw on the epson the pixel grid (i sit very upclose on a 100 inch screen)

With the sony you cant see that that it has a great pixel fill..

The noise level was also much much higher on the epson(both the fan and the iris)

The 2d part has some kind of JVC look on the sony and i like that..

And there is less lag with gaming..

The only part were the epson is better is in 3d...It has less ghosting then the sony..

I hope this helps for you;)
post #12 of 74 Old 12-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I too struggled with this for weeks..

If you read this review on the Epson, its an amazing projector
http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/epson-home-cinema-5030-ub-home-theater-projector-review/

I then waited till I read this on the 55.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-VPL-HW55ES-B.htm

I had the 5010 & the fan noise on high definitely was annoying to me, I was hoping the 5030 was quieter, but it isn't according to reviews.
Sony supposedly is dead quiet on high, although yes the 2000 hours is pretty low on high, it does come with a second lamp for free.

The 5030 comes in white and 55 only in black, which I was bummed since for our lighter ceilings white on the sony would have been nice (only in UK does it come in white)

3D Epson is better, no crosstalk, but it sounds like the Sony 55 has slightly improved from the 50 & is good, just not as perfect crosstalk free like the Epson.

But if you look at the reviews, Calibrated the Sony actually is a little brighter. It was a toss up as I really wanted the Epson brightness during the daytime using the Dynamic setting which is 1487 Lumens!
Sony is 1044 brightTV, although I guess game mode looks like it does 1185 (these were from projectorreview calibrated measurements)

I ended up ordering the Sony and hope to get it end of next week. I think the fan noise and the Reality Creation pushed me over the edge. That and Art's review.
I think overall it's a tossup, slight pros and cons of both.

I think Zombie is making some more reviews shortly as well.

I'm hoping I made the right call on the Sony. I know what the Epson 5010 looks like, so I guess I wanted to try something new smile.gif
post #13 of 74 Old 12-16-2013, 08:14 AM

Thank you Gadget & John. Did neither of you consider the 50 ES w/ the price difference? I think a few months ago, Sony had them both at the same price, which didn't make any sense to me.

Since I am going to pit the Epson to the Sony, I have it low on the floor right above the carpet and the thing gets HOT.  I haven't tested the 3D yet, and don't intend to use it all that much.

post #14 of 74 Old 12-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ1979 View Post

Thank you Gadget & John. Did neither of you consider the 50 ES w/ the price difference? I think a few months ago, Sony had them both at the same price, which didn't make any sense to me.

Since I am going to pit the Epson to the Sony, I have it low on the floor right above the carpet and the thing gets HOT.  I haven't tested the 3D yet, and don't intend to use it all that much.

Hello there i did consider the 50 ES ..

But i had a good deal on the sony 55es..

Thats why i took the 55es but the sony hw 50 was indeed a consideration..

And the little better contrast (but thats a very little)
post #15 of 74 Old 12-18-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 1048
Here's a quote from Conan48, which may or not be helpful.

"Decided to put up my Epson 6030 for a good deal on the classifieds, as I'm trying to sell as much stuff as possible to get money for the VW500. Thought I could resist the allure of the Sony, but you guys are making that hard biggrin.gif

The Epson is great, and I found to be a step up from the Sony 50es I had. Much better native sharpness on the Epson, better motion, and better 3D. Black levels seemed to be a draw between the two. I liked the RC at first on the Sony, but even at minimum it just exaggerated graniness far to much on some movies, and with RC off, the Sony is much too soft. (they really need a better lens!)"
post #16 of 74 Old 12-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Central Scrutinizer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
So far, here's what I've gathered are the strengths of each over the other:
Sony strengths: nearly inaudible fan noise even in high lamp mode, nearly inaudible dynamic iris, sealed light path keeps dust blobs from forming, better picture enhancement tech, brighter in 3D, black casing.
Epson strengths: less 3D crosstalk, less flicker in 3D due to 480Hz panels in the Epson vs 240Hz in the Sony, more reliable 3D glasses sync due to RF transmitter/receivers, lighter/larger/more comfortable 3D glasses, longer lamp life in high lamp mode (4000 on the Epson, only 2000 on the Sony even though low lamp mode are both 'rated' at 5000), brighter in 2D, smaller casing.
I am pretty sure you have that reversed...Epson has the brighter 3D image - Sony the brighter 2D.

Two additional strengths of the Epson over the Sony:

1. Customer service - Epson has a 24 hour replacement policy for defective projectors. Unless things have changed, the Sony I owned required sending my unit back to them and WAITING for it to be repaired...frown.gif
2. Price...smile.gif What exactly is the price delta between these 2 models anyway?

Nothing is what I want - a true Zen saying.

Marantz AV7005 pre/pro cheap
post #17 of 74 Old 12-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have never owned an Epson before, previously had a Sanyo Z4 which had a pretty solid warranty, one I put to the test a few times. Sanyo was good on their word and did the repairs for me but it seemed like I just had constant issues on the 3rd year of my unit. My Sony VW40 is now on it's 5th year of extensive use as my main tv. I believe im on my 4th bulb, about 2k hours in and the last 3 all going north of 3,000 hours. This could just be that the tech is more solid these days, or maybe it's LCOS over older LCD...but I have not had to ever call sony for anything. Just recently I have started to notice a slight blue tinge on the extreme bottom left corner of my screen which is tough to spot. The Red bar on CNN seems to bring it out if I leave it on that channel for a long time, but I definitely give credit to Sony on that VW40. It's so good I am having trouble justifying the HW55ES ...I really wish they kept the electric focus on this price point though. My VW40 was $2,999 and seemed to offer more bang for the buck in 08. Just my 2 cents regarding warranties though.
post #18 of 74 Old 12-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccormack View Post

I have never owned an Epson before, previously had a Sanyo Z4 which had a pretty solid warranty, one I put to the test a few times. Sanyo was good on their word and did the repairs for me but it seemed like I just had constant issues on the 3rd year of my unit. My Sony VW40 is now on it's 5th year of extensive use as my main tv. I believe im on my 4th bulb, about 2k hours in and the last 3 all going north of 3,000 hours. This could just be that the tech is more solid these days, or maybe it's LCOS over older LCD...but I have not had to ever call sony for anything. Just recently I have started to notice a slight blue tinge on the extreme bottom left corner of my screen which is tough to spot. The Red bar on CNN seems to bring it out if I leave it on that channel for a long time, but I definitely give credit to Sony on that VW40. It's so good I am having trouble justifying the HW55ES ...I really wish they kept the electric focus on this price point though. My VW40 was $2,999 and seemed to offer more bang for the buck in 08. Just my 2 cents regarding warranties though.

Oops, meant to say Z3
post #19 of 74 Old 03-02-2014, 05:44 PM

Liked: 10

I am in the fray to buy a projector and am looking at Sony HW55ES and Epson 6030. I am eagerly waiting for some of you to post your experiences from the purchases you made in Dec 2013. Also please let us know the price as well. looking forward to learn from your firsthand experience..

post #20 of 74 Old 03-02-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12542 Post(s)
Liked: 10154
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by agdibugdi View Post

I am in the fray to buy a projector and am looking at Sony HW55ES and Epson 6030. I am eagerly waiting for some of you to post your experiences from the purchases you made in Dec 2013. Also please let us know the price as well. looking forward to learn from your firsthand experience..

Sent you a PM. smile.gif
post #21 of 74 Old 03-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by agdibugdi View Post

Definitely loving my HW55. I had the epson 5020. I do miss the brighter epson during the day but I don't watch that much in the day. At night, I like the QUIET HW55. the epson was pretty loud. I don't like the 3D on the sony at all though. I have a black diamond .8 gain screen and the sony w/ 3D everything seems just too dark. Also, when I move my eyes around there's jittery feel to it which I don't like.

The epson I didn't have that issue. If you like 3D & want daytime use, the epson. For sony, it's quiet , better colors, whites aren't as blown out, & the reality creation does add a higher resolution feel ot things. Get the sony.

I think it's a tough choice, although epson is less expensive.
agdibugdi likes this.
post #22 of 74 Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Just had these back to back in my theater for review.
While the Epson is a top notch projector the Sony 55 is in another league IMHO.

Note: I was not the 1st to eval this projector. I did reset the Reference mode but I'm not sure if everything was factory defaulted.
The lamp was on high and the shutter was off.

As I'm sure you have read it's Reference mode out of the box settings are the closest I have ever so to accurate video.
Really all I did for my 1st test/look was set black and white level.
It produced an amazing picture that measured like it had been professionally calibrated.
I did touch up the color with the excellent Color Management System.

I threw all my test material at and it looked wonderful.
Great black level, excellent color reproduction and saturation and despite what others have seen this unit produced a very sharp image even with RC off.

Despite what I had read I thought the 3D performance was excellent. I used my reference film, Hugo and was impressed.
This was one case that I did like the Reality Creation engaged at its lowest setting. I did turn off Motion Flow.

I really liked the addition of something you don't see much anymore-blanking. I was as close as I could get to the screen but had too much image spill onto the frame of the screen. A couple clicks of blanking and problem solved.

I measured just over 20flt from my 10.5' diag Stewart StudioTech 130. And this was from the max throw of roughly 20+ feet!
Note: The lamp only had 80 hours so I would expect the light output to drop off.

Couple items:
The biggest issue I had was it clearly did not like my 30' cable run. It's a DVI cable with adaptor to HDMI. I had to add a quality in line amp to get a stable connection. Though the Kaleidescape running through an SSP would only connect on the movie list but would not play a movie. I tired 60 and 24 but all I got was a green screen. Everything else connected and was stable. I have not seen this type of cable sensitivity with several other projectors I have recently tested.

I also had an issue with video that was being scaled before the projector by the SSP. It looked like frames were being dropped and produced a choppy experience. It was only on film based content. ESPNHD looked fine. Turing off the scaling in the SSP and letting the projector handle it solved the issue.

I did notice in very dark scenes I did see noise created by Reality Creation system even on its lowest level. I'd recommend RC off.

There is also a noise reduction setting on the expert page I'd also turn this off as well as all the other settings if they aren't off already.

Tried Motion Flow on a number of difference sources and content and as with all other motion enhancing systems I just can't watch the hyper realistic and odd acceleration effects. So off it went.

Lastly I did try a number of different setting with the iris. Ultimately I left it off as I liked the extra light and thought that black levels were excellent without it.

I would say so far this is the best all around projector I have seen under $10k.

Highly recommended.
agdibugdi likes this.
post #23 of 74 Old 03-02-2014, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post

I measured just over 20flt from my 10.5' diag Stewart StudioTech 130. And this was from the max throw of roughly 20+ feet!
Note: The lamp only had 80 hours so I would expect the light output to drop off.

Highly recommended.

trans_lux,

Was this a measurement post calibration for D65? High lamp mode? With the iris open or with dynamic iris at Auto Full?

Its a very high number for such a big screen at such a long throw...
post #24 of 74 Old 03-02-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Out of the box set to Reference, lamp on high iris off/open with only black and white levels set.
Lamp only had 80 hours.
I think I took some screen shots from Calman.
Will post tomorrow if I have them.

TL
venkatesh_m likes this.
post #25 of 74 Old 03-03-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here you go-stock out of the box on Reference, white and black level set, lamp on high and iris off.

agdibugdi likes this.
post #26 of 74 Old 03-03-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post

Note: I was not the 1st to eval this projector. I did reset the Reference mode but I'm not sure if everything was factory defaulted.
The lamp was on high and the shutter was off.

As I'm sure you have read it's Reference mode out of the box settings are the closest I have ever so to accurate video.
Really all I did for my 1st test/look was set black and white level.
It produced an amazing picture that measured like it had been professionally calibrated.
I did touch up the color with the excellent Color Management System.

I threw all my test material at and it looked wonderful.
Great black level, excellent color reproduction and saturation and despite what others have seen this unit produced a very sharp image.

Despite what I had read I thought the 3D performance was excellent. I used my reference film, Hugo and was impressed.
This was one case that I did like the Reality Creation engaged at its lowest setting. I did turn off Motion Flow.

Couple items:
The biggest issue I had was it clearly did not like my 30' cable run. It's a DVI cable with adaptor to HDMI. I had to add a quality in line amp to get a stable connection. Though the Kaleidescape running through an SSP would only connect on the movie list but would not play a movie. I tired 60 and 24 but all I got was a green screen. Everything else connected and was stable. I have not seen this type of cable sensitivity with several other projectors I have recently tested.

I also had an issue with video that was being scaled before the projector by the SSP. It looked like frames were being dropped and produced a choppy experience. It was only on film based content. ESPNHD looked fine. Turing off the scaling in the SSP and letting the projector handle it solved the issue.

I did notice in very dark scenes I did see noise created by Reality Creation system even on its lowest level. I'd recommend RC off.

There is also a noise reduction setting on the expert page I'd also turn this off as well as all the other settings if they aren't off already.

Tried Motion Flow on a number of difference sources and content and as with all other motion enhancing systems I just can't watch the hyper realistic and odd acceleration effects. So off it went.

Lastly I did try a number of different setting with the iris. Ultimately I left it off as I liked the extra light and thought that black levels were excellent without it.

I would say so far this is the best all around projector I have seen under $10k.

Highly recommended.

10.5' diagonal 16:9 screen is 110" wide. with a 1.41 to 2.13 throw, the max throw distance is 19'-71/2". So a little under 20', rather than over 20'. I agree with you about the HW55 being able to do over 20FL from that distance calibrated. The 55 is a nice bright projector in best image mode.
post #27 of 74 Old 03-03-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

10.5' diagonal 16:9 screen is 110" wide. with a 1.41 to 2.13 throw, the max throw distance is 19'-71/2". So a little under 20', rather than over 20'. I agree with you about the HW55 being able to do over 20FL from that distance calibrated. The 55 is a nice bright projector in best image mode.

Mike I was a bit over 20' as this was as close as I could get. I did have some image spill on the border of the screen. A couple clicks of the blanking and all was good.
I wish it had a couple more feet of throw as I'd buy on in a min.
post #28 of 74 Old 03-03-2014, 07:32 AM

Last year's 50 and this year's 55 are really nice projectors. It is amazing the quality of projector you get for the money, today compared to what you got, just a few years ago.
post #29 of 74 Old 03-03-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Last year's 50 and this year's 55 are really nice projectors. It is amazing the quality of projector you get for the money, today compared to what you got, just a few years ago.

I agree It really is amazing.
post #30 of 74 Old 03-03-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 79
These are the two projectors it came down to for me. After reading all the reviews I could along with a lot of user opinions, I decided on the Epson 5030UB. After a few weeks of enjoying the new projector, I am very pleased and confident I made the right choice for my requirements.

Both projectors have a lot of strengths in common. For me, the deciding points were as follows - and my opinion on how the Epson fared in that regard.

1) Image quality. I've heard that the Sony LCOS/SXRD image has a smoother, more 'film-like' look and less visible pixel structure, and was probably the biggest item in my PRO column for the Sony - though some have said the Sony image is a bit soft without the RC enabled. Regardless, at the screen size (114") and seating distance (11') I'm at, the image from the Epson looks exceptional and very film-like, with no evidence of SDE. The panel alignment on mine is excellent, and the image focus is very sharp. I'm totally satisfied with what I see - images look stunning.

2) Black Level. Reviews complimented both PJs on their excellent black levels, and I have to agree on the Epson. I've had previous projectors in this room, and there was more of an improvement in this area than I expected. I leave the dynamic iris ON, but blacks still looks very impressive with it OFF.

3) 2D Brightness. Excellent - I'm in a dedicated theater room and the Epson has a bright and punchy image in low lamp mode, with high contrast and well saturated colors.

4) 3D Brightness/performance. Reviews tended to give this to the Epson - and as large screen 3D was something I was very much looking forward to, this was a major PRO for the Epson. I've enjoyed several 3D titles, and they look great. Brightness is fine, and I have not had issues with crosstalk or ghosting.

5) Noise - dynamic iris and high lamp mode. This was very much a pre-purchase concern, as the projector is directly overhead. I'm pleased to say that after testing the fan noise shortly after receipt, I was both pleased and relieved. Yes, it's louder than low lamp mode, but the noise is from air movement, and not of a pitch or level that I find objectionable. A subjective thing, yes - but for me turned out to not be a factor. The iris operation is not something I've been distracted by at all.

6). RF vs. IR 3D Glasses. Definitely a plus on the Epson - surprised that Sony was still with the IR this year. I also had some existing Panasonic RF glasses from a plasma set, and they pair and work fine with the Epson.

7) Case color. I would have preferred a black case, but I mulled that over a bit and decided it was not a major issue. The projector styling I think is quite attractive, and the face that is toward the screen (the important part for reflectivity) is black. I could always wrap it black if necessary, but I've come to rather like the look of it in white ... smile.gif

9) Price. My delivered price on the Epson was about a thousand dollars lower than the Sony. If I'd felt the Sony offered enough 'more' of features that were important to me, I would have happily paid the extra - after enjoying the Epson for a few weeks I'm confident that I made the right call.

Either projector would have been replaced in a few years, when/if 4K projectors and content become readily available and prices come down, but I don't feel I'm sacrificing anything with the Epson in the meantime. I'm sure the Sony is a great unit, but for me the Epson is a better choice - very, very pleased with this purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector , Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6030ub 3d 3lcd Projector With A Pair Of 3d Glasses

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page