Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2142Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3121 of 6358 Old 01-08-2015, 09:49 AM
Senior Member
 
mishari84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Can't say enough good things about my Falcon Screens Horizon 4K material. It is just rock-solid on anything I have thrown at it. I watched ender's game last night which has a lot of space scenes and it was just unreal There is a little wait time right now as Rich at falcon is getting inundated with orders, but the wait is well worth it, the frame is easy-peasy to install and rugged as all get-out, and you can easily do it all within 30-45 minutes by yourself
I compared all Falcon's materials to elite and other materials with my calibrated rs49, the sky always looked yellowish in all scenes compared all other materials. I dont know why.
mishari84 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3122 of 6358 Old 01-08-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,405
Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post
I compared all Falcon's materials to elite and other materials with my calibrated rs49, the sky always looked yellowish in all scenes compared all other materials. I dont know why.
I have yet to see anything of that nature with the horizon's material. How long ago did you test them all out? The horizon 4k has only been available for a couple months.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #3123 of 6358 Old 01-08-2015, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,801
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6625 Post(s)
Liked: 7700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkygod1 View Post
I saw the X500 last year at CEDIA and installed one for a customer two weeks ago..I'm all in. The problem I have is I haven't settled on a screen yet. I liked The SI Slate screen I saw but I wanted an acoustical for my new HT ver4.1 Atmos. So excited! Any ideas?

There are also the Seymour AT screens, and the Stewart Perforado screens.
Craig Peer is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3124 of 6358 Old 01-08-2015, 02:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualunquemente View Post
<div class="quote-container" data-huddler-embed="/t/1505192/official-jvc-dila-x500r-rs49u-rs4910u-owners-thread/60#post_24088645" data-huddler-embed-placeholder="false"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>blee0120</strong> <a href="/t/1505192/official-jvc-dila-x500r-rs49u-rs4910u-owners-thread/60#post_24088645"><img alt="View Post" class="inlineimg" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif"></a><br><br>
If you need lumen output to be higher than 700 lumens, you are going to get close to the same contrast numbers on all JVCs. The get those numbers on the higher models, you need to close the iris down. For instance, if you was running a rs49 with the iris open, you should get close to 25000:1, and on the RS57, you should get 30,000:1, then on the RS67 about 35,000:1. Those are not very noticeable for the amount of money. But if you close them half way, its a difference but you get maybe 500 lumens at max. If you close the iris, you get about 250 lumens</div>
</div>
<br>
I made some calculations based on my screen (Black Diamond 110" 21:9):<br>
With 900 calibrated lumens I should get 60 cd/mq white so, yes, I will need Iris fully open or ... use the new dynamic iris function but i wonder if it really does make sense to use dynamic iris on a jvc : when a particular scene will make the iris fully close down blacks will probabibly became better then an Oled but whites should be like 7-8 cd/mq (in my case) like a grey 35 ire ... -__-<br><br>
So I think I'd go for fixed iris fully open and so, as you say, an RS49 would be a wise choise.<br>
Maybe rs57 is better in some other department then rs49 ? lens quality is the same ?<br><br>
Another question : I have a RGB-LED vpr and never had a JVC : how muh cd/mq loss should I expect as lamp ages to the end ? half ? or even less ?
I purchased the RS49U as a refurb unit and I have horrible whitewash in anything mid to high brightness. I've tried making adjustments and nothing seems to make a difference. Any dark scene looks good but anything else just looks awful. Could it have anything to do with iris control?? I'm coming off the DLA-RS15 (which I LOVED) so I'm very disappointed so far. Thanks for any and all help!
ransomcosper is offline  
post #3125 of 6358 Old 01-08-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,082
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransomcosper View Post
I purchased the RS49U as a refurb unit and I have horrible whitewash in anything mid to high brightness. I've tried making adjustments and nothing seems to make a difference. Any dark scene looks good but anything else just looks awful. Could it have anything to do with iris control?? I'm coming off the DLA-RS15 (which I LOVED) so I'm very disappointed so far. Thanks for any and all help!
Did you see my recommendation on the previous page to try different "Input Level" settings ?
ransomcosper likes this.
jjcook is offline  
post #3126 of 6358 Old 01-08-2015, 04:40 PM
Member
 
Sparkygod1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Lakewood Colorado
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Can't say enough good things about my Falcon Screens Horizon 4K material. It is just rock-solid on anything I have thrown at it. I watched ender's game last night which has a lot of space scenes and it was just unreal There is a little wait time right now as Rich at falcon is getting inundated with orders, but the wait is well worth it, the frame is easy-peasy to install and rugged as all get-out, and you can easily do it all within 30-45 minutes by yourself
Just looked at the Falcon Screens site. I looks pretty good so fer. I really like the prices and none of that "call for prices" BS.
Gonna ask around but I think I have a winner. Thanks, Beastie!
beastaudio likes this.
Sparkygod1 is offline  
post #3127 of 6358 Old 01-08-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stef2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,274
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkygod1 View Post
I saw the X500 last year at CEDIA and installed one for a customer two weeks ago..I'm all in. The problem I have is I haven't settled on a screen yet. I liked The SI Slate screen I saw but I wanted an acoustical for my new HT ver4.1 Atmos. So excited! Any ideas?
I've got a 2.35:1 AT screen from SeymourAV and I couldn't be happier. AFAIK, that screen has the highest "real" (as opposed to advertised) gain of all the AT screens.
stef2 is offline  
post #3128 of 6358 Old 01-08-2015, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blipszyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 2,815
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkygod1 View Post
Just looked at the Falcon Screens site. I looks pretty good so fer. I really like the prices and none of that "call for prices" BS.
Gonna ask around but I think I have a winner. Thanks, Beastie!
Many on the forum have purchased Falcon screens, especially their new 4K material and have been very happy. From what I gather, the weave disappears around 6 ft. As my main row is at 11' I was very close to going with a Falcon screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
I've got a 2.35:1 AT screen from SeymourAV and I couldn't be happier. AFAIK, that screen has the highest "real" (as opposed to advertised) gain of all the AT screens.
In the end I went with SeymourAV again (had a Jamestown Seymour screen in my last theater) for two reasons - 1. I am doing a CIW setup this time around and Seymour already has horizontal masks and 2. With all the success of the new material, Falcon wouldn't have been able to deliver a screen for 5-7 weeks and I needed something quickly. I received and setup my Seymour screen last night and am very happy! It looks amazing and even at 11 feet back I don't see any weave. (If looking hard, I can see it around 9 feet)

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
4.0 - TBD
blipszyc is offline  
post #3129 of 6358 Old 01-09-2015, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stef2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,274
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
The question may be stupid, but yesterday, I was looking for the sharpness control on my JVC projector and could not find it.
The only mention of sharpness in the manual is in the MPC control menu (Enhance: enhances the sharpness of the image...)
So, my conclusion is that the sharpness control is called enhance on this projector.

Am I right?

If so, since I have always left that control untouched, I would like get some input from fellow users...
At what level is your sharpness (enhance) control?
How did you adjust it?

Just curious as how to make this incredible PJ even better!
As a reply to myself, I have tried the different MPC sliders to adjust the sharpness of my JVC. While those sliders do something, their effect is subtle, so much that I am unable to know for sure if Enhance really controls the sharpness or not. I would have liked to crank the sharpness to a maximum to see ringing appear (thus confirminig I was adjusting the sharpness setting) but no slider or setting produced that effect.

How do you adjust sharpness on your new JVC?
stef2 is offline  
post #3130 of 6358 Old 01-09-2015, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,567
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11829 Post(s)
Liked: 9358
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransomcosper View Post
I purchased the RS49U as a refurb unit and I have horrible whitewash in anything mid to high brightness. I've tried making adjustments and nothing seems to make a difference. Any dark scene looks good but anything else just looks awful. Could it have anything to do with iris control?? I'm coming off the DLA-RS15 (which I LOVED) so I'm very disappointed so far. Thanks for any and all help!
Are your walls light colored or dark? How close is the ceiling and side walls to the screen? What size and gain screen? What lamp mode and iris setting are you using? I am guessing that reflected light may be the issue here, but do not know, until you answer the questions asked.
ransomcosper likes this.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 01-09-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #3131 of 6358 Old 01-09-2015, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,405
Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5507 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkygod1 View Post
Just looked at the Falcon Screens site. I looks pretty good so fer. I really like the prices and none of that "call for prices" BS.
Gonna ask around but I think I have a winner. Thanks, Beastie!
No prob! Rich (Owner) is a fantastic guy to work with as well. He got the first screen with Horizon out to me in a huge crunch as I was having a g2g in a week 1/2 and he got it there in time. Put it up the night before at like 11:00 but it worked out perfect!

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #3132 of 6358 Old 01-09-2015, 07:04 AM
Senior Member
 
maximus74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hello,

New owner here of this amazing projector.
I have it, for about three weeks,this being my 4th projector.
I am very happy about the brightness for my screen : 110" diagonal Da-Lite JKP Affinity 1.1 as i have about 48cd/m2 calibrated with the iris closed at -14.
With my previous X35 to achieve the same target i was at -11 with the iris.
I hope the lamp of my new X500 is as good as my previous X35,because with the last one i had 700 Hours on my lamp with the iris at -9 to achieve the same target 48cd/m2.

The throw for my X500 to my screen is 4m.

The settings to start,before auto-cal with my Lumagen are User1 Contrast to -2,Brightness to +3,the rest all to 0, Custom temp 6500K,but in my case 7000K is closer to 6500 at 100% IRE with lower delta error.color profile;custom1.

My room in a dedicated home theatre with very dark walls,black ceiling,dark grey carpet(i hope to change it with a black one).

What i think is a step back from my previous JVC,Sony...is that i have a lot of handshaking before the picture is on to my screen...for that reason last night i removed my Darbee to see if is more stable,i didn't have time to test it, but i will see.

All i can say about this projector, is that is the best picture that i had in my room,period.

I saw some tips from Kris Derring( he also is responsible for buying my first PJ 8 years ago ) about brightness at +1 with the dark control adjustments for resolve the detail to 18.( a little trade off for this amazing contrast and black level).
cardoski likes this.

Last edited by maximus74; 01-09-2015 at 03:00 PM.
maximus74 is offline  
post #3133 of 6358 Old 01-09-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,801
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6625 Post(s)
Liked: 7700
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus74 View Post
Hello,

New owner here of this amazing projector.
I have it, for about three weeks,this being my 4th projector.
I am very happy about the brightness for my screen : 110" diagonal Da-Lite JKP Affinity 1.1 as i have about 48cd/m2 calibrated with the iris closed at -14.
With my previous X35 to achieve the same target i was at -11 with the iris.
I hope the lamp of my new X500 is as good as my previous X35,because with the last one i had 700 Hours on my lamp with the iris at -9 to achieve the same target 48cd/m2.

The throw for my X500 to my screen is 4m.

The settings to start,before auto-cal with my Lumagen are User1 Contrast to -2,Brightness to +3,the rest all to 0, Custom temp 6500K,but in my case 7000K is closer to 6500 at 100% IRE with lower delta error.color profile;custom1.

My room in a dedicated home theatre with very dark walls,black ceiling,dark grey carpet(i hope to change it with a black one).

What i think is a step back from my previous JVC,Sony...is that i have a lot of handshaking before the picture is on to my screen...for that reason last night i removed my Darbee to see if is more stable,i didn't have time to test it, but i will see.

All i can say about this projector, is that is the best picture that i had in my room,period.

I saw some tips from Kris Derring( he also is responsible for buying my first PJ 8 years ago ) about brightness at +1 with the dark control adjustments for resolve the detail to 18.( a little trade off for this amazing contrast and black level).

The RS4910 is a great projector. Nice screen too. Shoot me an email for some settings to try if you want. Also, you might try a Redmere HDMI cable and see if that helps with the handshake issue. .
Gooddoc likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #3134 of 6358 Old 01-10-2015, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blipszyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 2,815
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Are there any discrete IR codes for things such as the 3D modes or lens memories?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
4.0 - TBD
blipszyc is offline  
post #3135 of 6358 Old 01-10-2015, 04:11 PM
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 10,827
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2593
Is there a way to enable the 12 volt trigger port other than by the two options in the menu. I'd like to use an alternative scaling solution other than the internal one for vertical stretch when I watch scope content with my anamorphic lens. By default you only have the option to enable it at power up or if you enable scaling on the projector. I want to be able to turn it on or off at will depending on the content I'm watching.

If not, can anyone recommend a 3rd party cheap device that I can use to control from IR or RS232 to enable and disable a 12 volt trigger anamorphic lens motorized sled?
Seegs108 is offline  
post #3136 of 6358 Old 01-11-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,366
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Does your control system or receiver/processor have addressable 12V trigger that you could use? Otherwise the Xantech CC12 or Niles MSU250 will work.
Seegs108 likes this.
Ellebob is offline  
post #3137 of 6358 Old 01-12-2015, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blipszyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 2,815
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post
Hello there,


I hear that the 3d on this JVC is worse than on a sony Hw55es..
Did somebody come from a sony Hw55es?


I am thinking to upgrade my Sony Hw55es..
@john2910 I finally got my screen (Seymour CenterStage XD) hung and ran through a couple things over the weekend. My 4910 is 14' back projecting a 110" wide (126" diag. 16x9) image. My old HW50 was 16' back projecting a 120" wide 2.35 image. Take what comes next with a grain of salt since the last time I watched something on my old Sony HW50 was back in April...2D wise, I feel like they are very similar. Blacks to me appear to be the same maybe a little better on the 4910. Brightness also appears to be similar. Colorwise, I think the Sony is definitely better out of the box, but the JVC is very good too. 3D wise, I think the Sony has a slight edge. While I only saw very slight ghosting on the movies that I tried (Gravity, TMNT, Planes) there was also a weird motion judder that I don't remember on the Sony. I did turn off one of the motion settings, which helped, but there was still something else lacking. I've got some additional tweaking and testing to do, but I think overall 3D will be just fine on the JVC. Brightness wise I felt like they were the same, maybe a little dimmer on the JVC. I will say that the JVC is much louder than the Sony and the time to switch display modes (1080p60 to 1080p24) is much slower as well. I haven't done any gaming on the JVC yet, so I hope I'm not disappointed.

So far, I'm pretty indifferent with the JVC. I mainly went with it vs. the Sony for the motorized lens, and then decided to do a CIW setup with masks, negating the need for the motorization. To me the picture is similar enough that if I had to do it again or if I already had the 50 or 55, I would not see the 4910 as a worthwhile upgrade.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
4.0 - TBD
blipszyc is offline  
post #3138 of 6358 Old 01-12-2015, 08:14 AM
Senior Member
 
john2910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
@john2910 I finally got my screen (Seymour CenterStage XD) hung and ran through a couple things over the weekend. My 4910 is 14' back projecting a 110" wide (126" diag. 16x9) image. My old HW50 was 16' back projecting a 120" wide 2.35 image. Take what comes next with a grain of salt since the last time I watched something on my old Sony HW50 was back in April...2D wise, I feel like they are very similar. Blacks to me appear to be the same maybe a little better on the 4910. Brightness also appears to be similar. Colorwise, I think the Sony is definitely better out of the box, but the JVC is very good too. 3D wise, I think the Sony has a slight edge. While I only saw very slight ghosting on the movies that I tried (Gravity, TMNT, Planes) there was also a weird motion judder that I don't remember on the Sony. I did turn off one of the motion settings, which helped, but there was still something else lacking. I've got some additional tweaking and testing to do, but I think overall 3D will be just fine on the JVC. Brightness wise I felt like they were the same, maybe a little dimmer on the JVC. I will say that the JVC is much louder than the Sony and the time to switch display modes (1080p60 to 1080p24) is much slower as well. I haven't done any gaming on the JVC yet, so I hope I'm not disappointed.

So far, I'm pretty indifferent with the JVC. I mainly went with it vs. the Sony for the motorized lens, and then decided to do a CIW setup with masks, negating the need for the motorization. To me the picture is similar enough that if I had to do it again or if I already had the 50 or 55, I would not see the 4910 as a worthwhile upgrade.

Thx for your reply,


I think i am gonne keep my sony,now that i have the black contrast tuning filter on the sony the blacks are realy close now to a JVC...


Best regards.
john2910 is offline  
post #3139 of 6358 Old 01-12-2015, 11:27 AM
 
Andreas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Double post.
Andreas21 is offline  
post #3140 of 6358 Old 01-12-2015, 11:27 AM
 
Andreas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
@john2910 I finally got my screen (Seymour CenterStage XD) hung and ran through a couple things over the weekend. My 4910 is 14' back projecting a 110" wide (126" diag. 16x9) image. My old HW50 was 16' back projecting a 120" wide 2.35 image. Take what comes next with a grain of salt since the last time I watched something on my old Sony HW50 was back in April...2D wise, I feel like they are very similar. Blacks to me appear to be the same maybe a little better on the 4910. Brightness also appears to be similar. Colorwise, I think the Sony is definitely better out of the box, but the JVC is very good too. 3D wise, I think the Sony has a slight edge. While I only saw very slight ghosting on the movies that I tried (Gravity, TMNT, Planes) there was also a weird motion judder that I don't remember on the Sony. I did turn off one of the motion settings, which helped, but there was still something else lacking. I've got some additional tweaking and testing to do, but I think overall 3D will be just fine on the JVC. Brightness wise I felt like they were the same, maybe a little dimmer on the JVC. I will say that the JVC is much louder than the Sony and the time to switch display modes (1080p60 to 1080p24) is much slower as well. I haven't done any gaming on the JVC yet, so I hope I'm not disappointed.

So far, I'm pretty indifferent with the JVC. I mainly went with it vs. the Sony for the motorized lens, and then decided to do a CIW setup with masks, negating the need for the motorization. To me the picture is similar enough that if I had to do it again or if I already had the 50 or 55, I would not see the 4910 as a worthwhile upgrade.
I own both a Sony HW55 and a JVC X500 (also a Sony VW1100) and I have seen them side by side and I can tell you the blacks on the JVC is much better than the Sony (both of them). For movies only the X500 is a much better option than the HW55.

And the Sony HW55 is much better with gaming than the X500...
maximus74 likes this.

Last edited by Andreas21; 01-12-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Andreas21 is offline  
post #3141 of 6358 Old 01-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Senior Member
 
john2910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
I own both a Sony HW55 and a JVC X500 (also a Sony VW1100) and I have seen them side by side and I can tell you the blacks on the JVC is much better than the Sony (both of them). For movies only the X500 is a much better option than the HW55.

And the Sony HW55 is much better with gaming than the X500...
But when you put on the black contrast tuning filter for the sony,you come realy realy close to the jvc
john2910 is offline  
post #3142 of 6358 Old 01-12-2015, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
StevenC56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,461
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Lens Center

Does the "Lens Center" feature in the lens control menu take the lens back to both horizontal and vertical center? I'm having some issues with the lens memory being consistent on my X500R, and I'm trying to start from scratch to work it out.
StevenC56 is offline  
post #3143 of 6358 Old 01-12-2015, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blipszyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 2,815
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
I own both a Sony HW55 and a JVC X500 (also a Sony VW1100) and I have seen them side by side and I can tell you the blacks on the JVC is much better than the Sony (both of them). For movies only the X500 is a much better option than the HW55.

And the Sony HW55 is much better with gaming than the X500...
<-- This is what I'm afraid of. I didn't get a chance to hook up the PS3, but will this weekend. For me, the blacks looked good on the Sony, so since I'm not comparing them side-by-side, I'd be OK with either. If gaming suffers, there may be a 4910 in the classifieds soon.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
4.0 - TBD
blipszyc is offline  
post #3144 of 6358 Old 01-12-2015, 01:46 PM
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 10,827
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2593
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
Does the "Lens Center" feature in the lens control menu take the lens back to both horizontal and vertical center? I'm having some issues with the lens memory being consistent on my X500R, and I'm trying to start from scratch to work it out.
Yes. Both horizontal and vertical center.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #3145 of 6358 Old 01-12-2015, 03:21 PM
 
Andreas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post
But when you put on the black contrast tuning filter for the sony,you come realy realy close to the jvc
Put a similar filter on the JVC and what happens?
cardoski likes this.
Andreas21 is offline  
post #3146 of 6358 Old 01-12-2015, 03:28 PM
 
Andreas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post
<-- This is what I'm afraid of. I didn't get a chance to hook up the PS3, but will this weekend. For me, the blacks looked good on the Sony, so since I'm not comparing them side-by-side, I'd be OK with either. If gaming suffers, there may be a 4910 in the classifieds soon.
The JVC has 100ms + inputlag and the Sony has around 30ms so for gaming the Sony is the best option. I have heard some rumors that JVC is working on a low inputlag projector, and this is good news for gamers who wants the best of all worlds. A JVC X500 replacement with 30ms inputlag would be a very good allround projector.

I have said it many times on this forum that the HW55 is the best allround projector of these two and the JVC is the best if you only use it for movies. That is why I have a HW55 in my family room for TV, TV series and gaming and a JVC X500 and Sony VW1100 in my cinema for movies.
Andreas21 is offline  
post #3147 of 6358 Old 01-12-2015, 08:50 PM
Senior Member
 
john2910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
Put a similar filter on the JVC and what happens?
That your right,but you would get a very dimm picture
john2910 is offline  
post #3148 of 6358 Old 01-12-2015, 10:24 PM
Member
 
hamany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bahrain
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
The JVC has 100ms + inputlag and the Sony has around 30ms so for gaming the Sony is the best option. I have heard some rumors that JVC is working on a low inputlag projector, and this is good news for gamers who wants the best of all worlds. A JVC X500 replacement with 30ms inputlag would be a very good allround projector.

I have said it many times on this forum that the HW55 is the best allround projector of these two and the JVC is the best if you only use it for movies. That is why I have a HW55 in my family room for TV, TV series and gaming and a JVC X500 and Sony VW1100 in my cinema for movies.
They could work on a software update which has a "Game Mode", with less processing and latency.
hamany is offline  
post #3149 of 6358 Old 01-12-2015, 11:29 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry for my english, but i have a little question.. The gamma images and tests from internet, is it looks normal (near grey or solid colour against 2.2 gamma scale) on your PJ's?

Because i have the rainbow shit, instead of something grey, on my projector is it so much trouble with gamma out of the box, or may be another reasons why this images look so terribly? I try different options, and nothing near like target shape results..
Sad|ShadE is offline  
post #3150 of 6358 Old 01-13-2015, 01:21 AM
 
Andreas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post
That your right,but you would get a very dimm picture
The JVC has about the same lumens as the Sony when calibrated so it would not get any dimmer.
Andreas21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , X500

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off