Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread - Page 197 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2146Likes

post #5881 of 6400 Old 05-08-2017, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12847 Post(s)
Liked: 10485
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Winslow View Post
I have been reading the threads and considering jumping in to get a UHD player for my 4910.
Understanding it's relevant to individual expectations is it worth the cost and effort?
I have been very happy at 1080p with my HTPC, BluRay and other sources and not being familiar
with uploading color profiles are there any plug and play scenario's?
Is there a guide out there to take the necessary steps for UHD setup with the 4910?
Will new color profiles effect my current BluRay/HTPC projector settings or can each input
be assigned a different profile?

Thank you for any help and suggestions.
Hi Alan, how are you doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5882 of 6400 Old 05-08-2017, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Hi Alan, how are you doing?
Things are going well Mike, Thanks for asking.
I always appreciate your input on the forum.
I'm researching a possible UHD player to the system.
Take care!
post #5883 of 6400 Old 05-10-2017, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Is the Panasonic DMP-UB700EBK suitable player to use manni's profile BT2020?

Or should I buy the oppo or higher end Panny?

Edit: I already own the integral 4k BTW.

Thanks

Last edited by apcreek; 05-10-2017 at 01:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5884 of 6400 Old 05-15-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 337
I have a Harmony Elite remote, and as of now, I need to use the IR on that Elite Remote to work my projector.

I would prefer use the Harmony Elite Hub to control the Projector, but the hub is in a different room. Is the projector able to receive Internet commands, or do I need Infra Red? I have Cat6 cable running from my AV room up to the projector. If I need an IR signal, is there a way I can use that Cat 6 cable to connect it into one of the two Harmony Hub IR Blaster ports? I think I need to somehow 'splice' a connector onto the Hub side that will connect into the hub, and onto the other side of the cat-6 at the projector and splice an IR emitter onto it.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
post #5885 of 6400 Old 05-22-2017, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Recently picked up a 2016 LG OLED and got upgrade-itis to get the PJ/AVR setup to HDR and 5.1.4

I picked up a UB700 and Marantz 6011. Thanks to Manni the BT2020 uploaded worked. I always thought the X500 had too much light output for my (velvet curtain convertible living room/batcav) so I used to run it at -8 on the Aperture.

Tried Lucy, opening the Apeture, Low lamp mode and -3 on the UB700's HDR-SDR tone mapping. Looked fantastic! Best picture I've seen on my JVC. The CGI bits had nice highlights - very similar to look I saw at the IMAX with the highlights there but obviously not like an OLED.

Planet Earth in high lamp mode had a much more HDR look to it because of the content.

Next step is calibration of the BT2020 profile. I already have Rec 709 calibrated but will re-run as it's been 500 hours since the last.

Bit confused about the Gamma Settings with the BT2020 profile though - am I supposed to just leave it as normal or select anything in particular? Will calibration take care of this?
post #5886 of 6400 Old 06-19-2017, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxp91 View Post
Recently picked up a 2016 LG OLED and got upgrade-itis to get the PJ/AVR setup to HDR and 5.1.4

I picked up a UB700 and Marantz 6011. Thanks to Manni the BT2020 uploaded worked. I always thought the X500 had too much light output for my (velvet curtain convertible living room/batcav) so I used to run it at -8 on the Aperture.

Tried Lucy, opening the Apeture, Low lamp mode and -3 on the UB700's HDR-SDR tone mapping. Looked fantastic! Best picture I've seen on my JVC. The CGI bits had nice highlights - very similar to look I saw at the IMAX with the highlights there but obviously not like an OLED.

Planet Earth in high lamp mode had a much more HDR look to it because of the content.

Next step is calibration of the BT2020 profile. I already have Rec 709 calibrated but will re-run as it's been 500 hours since the last.

Bit confused about the Gamma Settings with the BT2020 profile though - am I supposed to just leave it as normal or select anything in particular? Will calibration take care of this?
Did you end up changing the Gamma? Did you use the AutoCal or just do it yourself with a disk? I am about to upload the BT2020 profile to my 4910u, so i am curious.
post #5887 of 6400 Old 06-19-2017, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeanO View Post
Did you end up changing the Gamma? Did you use the AutoCal or just do it yourself with a disk? I am about to upload the BT2020 profile to my 4910u, so i am curious.

I didn't change anything. Gamma is to be left alone and it's really only for colour accuracy which is off anyway due to hdr to sdr. Looks great though! Saw batman vs superman too, impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5888 of 6400 Old 06-23-2017, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 31
top of screen to projector

As I plan for my 1st PJ & screen setup and wanting to maximum a 16:9 AT screen with a used RS49, how much above or below should the center of the lens be to the top of the screen?

The screen will be recessed in the ceiling and the top of the screen will be at 8 ft. Since I have a coffer ceiling, I have an extra 10" of ceiling height for the PJ mount. In looking at the RS49 manual and from what I've been able to calculate and based on the throw distance of 15'-10", the max screen is 160" diag. This should place the bottom of the screen about 1 foot off the ground.

the room will be completely light controlled and I will only have one (1) room of seating. the MLP will be 12' from screen and the room is approx. a 20' x 20'. Also, the room is not dedicate and will have an LCD TV.

Thanks.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front wall.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	2201169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Light and Wiring.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	2201177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker Height - Ear level.PNG
Views:	29
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	2201201  

Last edited by Augmont; 06-23-2017 at 06:01 PM.
post #5889 of 6400 Old 06-24-2017, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augmont View Post
As I plan for my 1st PJ & screen setup and wanting to maximum a 16:9 AT screen with a used RS49, how much above or below should the center of the lens be to the top of the screen?

The screen will be recessed in the ceiling and the top of the screen will be at 8 ft. Since I have a coffer ceiling, I have an extra 10" of ceiling height for the PJ mount. In looking at the RS49 manual and from what I've been able to calculate and based on the throw distance of 15'-10", the max screen is 160" diag. This should place the bottom of the screen about 1 foot off the ground.

the room will be completely light controlled and I will only have one (1) room of seating. the MLP will be 12' from screen and the room is approx. a 20' x 20'. Also, the room is not dedicate and will have an LCD TV.

Thanks.......
1: Does anyone know what the optimal height the projector should be situated from the top of the screen given the type of screen I'm using (size and make) and my desire to project in 3D on occasion? (is it better to project from above, or from the same level as the screen?)

In general the more the lens is aligned with the center of the screen the brighter the image will be. However, if you intend to mount the projector from the ceiling there are some practical trade-offs. I want a projector mounted to avoid people stepping in front of the light beam, and I want it mounted high enough so that the tallest of my friends don't have to duck. I chose to adjust my extension pipe so that there was a 7' clearance above my seating platform. (My projector is mounted above the rear row of seating which is on the seating platform.)
post #5890 of 6400 Old 06-25-2017, 12:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
In general the more the lens is aligned with the center of the screen the brighter the image will be. However, if you intend to mount the projector from the ceiling there are some practical trade-offs. I want a projector mounted to avoid people stepping in front of the light beam, and I want it mounted high enough so that the tallest of my friends don't have to duck. I chose to adjust my extension pipe so that there was a 7' clearance above my seating platform. (My projector is mounted above the rear row of seating which is on the seating platform.)
A few more generalities>

>> The more lens shift used (off center), the more you'll be projecting through the less than ideal part of the lens, so potentially more focus uniformity issues, chromatic aberration, etc.
>>>> But, the larger the lens, and the better the lens quality, the less of an issue this becomes. If you notice, on the JVC's they have a rather large diameter lens compared to budget projectors.
>>>>> Another 'But', it appears that increasing lens shift improves ansi contrast performance on JVC's. This might be true for other PJ's also. So a potential plus for lens shift.

I haven't done any scientific tests, but I had my JVC table mounted briefly with minimal vertical lens shift and then ceiling mounted with max lens shift and focus uniformity appeared just as good across the screen either way, which was really good compared to my previous Mits HC3800 PJ.

If one is going to use a high power screen, then the projection angle becomes more important...
post #5891 of 6400 Old 06-27-2017, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Winslow View Post
I have been reading the threads and considering jumping in to get a UHD player for my 4910.
Understanding it's relevant to individual expectations is it worth the cost and effort?
I have been very happy at 1080p with my HTPC, BluRay and other sources and not being familiar
with uploading color profiles are there any plug and play scenario's?
Is there a guide out there to take the necessary steps for UHD setup with the 4910?
Will new color profiles effect my current BluRay/HTPC projector settings or can each input
be assigned a different profile?

Thank you for any help and suggestions.
really curious about this also any comments on this???
post #5892 of 6400 Old 06-29-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdrpnro View Post
really curious about this also any comments on this???
anyone??
post #5893 of 6400 Old 06-29-2017, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 2
hello, is a spyder 4 and autocal v5 mandantory for a X500 autocalibration, or is there a way to make a newer version (v7 + spyder 5) work with my X500?

thx
post #5894 of 6400 Old 06-30-2017, 06:09 PM

I know I'm late to the party which I probably will all always will be based on my budget. Just compared my new to
me 4910 to my rs46/x35. I got a heck of a deal but was worried the difference would be small. I have both units and imo the difference is pretty substantial. It's not so much WOW as it is it a long list of things that have improved. Quick and dirty is
1) the rs4910 is as quiet as in high lamp as the rs46 in low lamp.
2) I know there's been debate on brightness... Neither of my unit are calibrated but the 4910 seems brighter
3) black levels on the 4910 are definitely better the difference is even more dramatic with DI turned on.
4) My x35 left some to be desired in the area of motion. I have both units with cmd on low and the difference is definitely noticable.
All of these observations have been made on 1080p content . I've ordered a monoprice blackbird to strip the 2.2 back down to 1.4 as neither my receiver nor projector is compatible. I imagine when fed a 4k signal I will get another bullet of improvement. Just wanted to share my thoughts and say that the 5-700$ difference between this unit and what I can sell my x35 for is worth it imo.
post #5895 of 6400 Old 07-03-2017, 07:52 PM

Just got my blackbird in and set my xbox one s to 4k....?????????????? Picture it's literally breath taking. Couldn't imagine (or afford) one of the newer JVC units. I'm officially in love.
Schwa likes this.
post #5896 of 6400 Old 07-05-2017, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdrpnro View Post
Just got my blackbird in and set my xbox one s to 4k....?????????????? Picture it's literally breath taking. Couldn't imagine (or afford) one of the newer JVC units. I'm officially in love.
I'm not a gamer, but everyone seems to say the input lag on these JVC's is too much for gaming?
post #5897 of 6400 Old 07-06-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
I'm not a gamer, but everyone seems to say the input lag on these JVC's is too much for gaming?
I haven't been good at games since last decade to comment on the impact of lag. I only prefer the xb1s because it will continue to get updates, has hdmi in, and kinect.

I realized my xb1s will only output 4k for blurays(don't own and uhd). I want to get 4k netflix and 4k (upconverted) games. my blackbird device will strip hdcp2.2 back to 1.4 but doesn't change the edid. Ive read through the pages about the integral/linker and im wondering 1)which would i need to do what i want out of my xb1s
post #5898 of 6400 Old 07-10-2017, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Anyone know a good 30 foot HDMI cable that can run 60hz 4k with these projectors? I have bought several, some with redmire, some with little devices I've attached to them to passively boost the signal, but the best one so far has been a basic cable, the problem is the screen softly jitters. I need a cable that works. This is ran through the attic so I cant split the length with two smaller ones with an active booster.
post #5899 of 6400 Old 07-11-2017, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by AekaGSR View Post
Anyone know a good 30 foot HDMI cable that can run 60hz 4k with these projectors? I have bought several, some with redmire, some with little devices I've attached to them to passively boost the signal, but the best one so far has been a basic cable, the problem is the screen softly jitters. I need a cable that works. This is ran through the attic so I cant split the length with two smaller ones with an active booster.
Did you try the Celerity fiber optic cables?
post #5900 of 6400 Old 07-12-2017, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
Did you try the Celerity fiber optic cables?
I was thinking copper, but if this is the only thing that would do it I'll have to wait as that is not cheap.
post #5901 of 6400 Old 07-13-2017, 04:58 PM

hello guys, i need your help!

how can i get rid of the black crush in dark scenes?
i have calibrated my x500 with autocal v5 but the black clipping test pattern starts flashing at 19 and not 17.

in low apl scenes the picture looks too dark.

increasing the brightness makes the pictures milky and "washed out".

the bulb has onyl 75h btw, so whats the problem here?
post #5902 of 6400 Old 07-13-2017, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
My 20 year old is a very accomplished gamer and aware of lag and such. We have a PS4 and a PC connected to our DLA-RS500 and he couldn't be happier (meaning no lag complaints). I notice no issues either, and while my reflexes are commensurate with my age, I'm experienced with these issues and would notice it immediately.
post #5903 of 6400 Old 07-13-2017, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Maga View Post
My 20 year old is a very accomplished gamer and aware of lag and such. We have a PS4 and a PC connected to our DLA-RS500 and he couldn't be happier (meaning no lag complaints). I notice no issues either, and while my reflexes are commensurate with my age, I'm experienced with these issues and would notice it immediately.
The DLA-X500 projectors that are the subject of this thread are 2014 model-year projectors and are not the same as your RS500. I think your projector is much improved with respect to input lag.
post #5904 of 6400 Old 07-14-2017, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12847 Post(s)
Liked: 10485
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
The DLA-X500 projectors that are the subject of this thread are 2014 model-year projectors and are not the same as your RS500. I think your projector is much improved with respect to input lag.
Not really. The RS500 has more lag than the RS49/4910.
Schwa likes this.
post #5905 of 6400 Old 07-14-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Not really. The RS500 has more lag than the RS49/4910.
Huh. Go figure!
post #5906 of 6400 Old 07-14-2017, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubzeroX View Post
hello guys, i need your help!

how can i get rid of the black crush in dark scenes?
i have calibrated my x500 with autocal v5 but the black clipping test pattern starts flashing at 19 and not 17.

in low apl scenes the picture looks too dark.

increasing the brightness makes the pictures milky and "washed out".

the bulb has onyl 75h btw, so whats the problem here?
I have a RS57/X700 bought used with about 600 hrs on the original lamp (claimed....dunno how to check unit hrs Not lamp hrs?).

I also experienced black crush.

I don't have a meter to calibrate, but going into the advanced gamma menu and lowering the gamma and/or bumping up the 'Dark Level' in the gamma adjustment by 1 or 2 pts across all colors (or just white?) help my black crush immensely.
But don't go overboard....otherwise you'll start to wash out the image even in bright apl scenes, making them less contrasty. I made some custom gamma presets with these adjustments so I could quickly compare on different apl scenes.

Ultimately I want to try BT1886 gamma, but I think the only way is through a meter/calibration program. Perhaps you can try BT1886 instead?
post #5907 of 6400 Old 07-15-2017, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 5232 Post(s)
Liked: 2058
RS4910U 4k 50/60p Picture Mode

I bought a used RS4910U about a year ago, and have been relatively happy with its performance, using 1080p source materials and eShift turned on. I use the JVC Autocal v5 software to calibrate the grey scale and colours.

Recently I connected some 4k sources to it and noticed that the projector automatically switched to the "4K 50/60p" mode which threw the calibration off completely, with the picture exhibiting a nasty greenish tint. Unfortunately I'm not able to run AutoCal for that picture mode as the mode cannot be selected manually.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and if so, how do you deal with it? The picture is essentially unwatchable with this issue.

JVC DLA-NX7; Denon AVR-X3400H; HD Fury Vertex; ATV4K; Fire TV Cube
JVC Projector Bright Curves; Optimizing HDR;
Creating a basic HDR curve using Arve’s Tool;
Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
post #5908 of 6400 Old 07-15-2017, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2619 Post(s)
Liked: 2325
Picked up a very nice sample, low hour X500. Is the wide color gamut coverage worth it for UHD BD with the bt2020 file after calibration, or better to just stick with rec 709? I'm using the Panasonic UB900 and Linker. I'm impressed with the natural sharpness of eshift3 with UHD BDs. Hoping to get Chad B out next month.
post #5909 of 6400 Old 07-16-2017, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Dominic Chan,

did you have any issues getting your projector to communicate via the LAN ports from the computer to the projector? I have everything setup, followed the directions from JVC, but cannot get the two to communicate. Did you do or try anything different from the JVC directions?
post #5910 of 6400 Old 07-16-2017, 02:12 AM

Quote:
I have a RS57/X700 bought used with about 600 hrs on the original lamp (claimed....dunno how to check unit hrs Not lamp hrs?).

I also experienced black crush.

I don't have a meter to calibrate, but going into the advanced gamma menu and lowering the gamma and/or bumping up the 'Dark Level' in the gamma adjustment by 1 or 2 pts across all colors (or just white?) help my black crush immensely.
But don't go overboard....otherwise you'll start to wash out the image even in bright apl scenes, making them less contrasty. I made some custom gamma presets with these adjustments so I could quickly compare on different apl scenes.

Ultimately I want to try BT1886 gamma, but I think the only way is through a meter/calibration program. Perhaps you can try BT1886 instead?
the gamme dark lvl control can't resolve 17 in the test pattern.
i think i have to set gamma 1.8 or 1.7 to resolve 17 in the test pattern, but the overall picture quality isn't very good then

how can i get the BT.1886 gamma curve?
from what i've read so far the x500 lacks the gamma equalizer (my old X30 had one) and "our" autocal version5 lacks this feature too.
i've read something about an arve-tool^^ is this a way to upload the BT1886 gamma curve?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , X500

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page